advent laptop burnt my wrist

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't consider it frivolous. What proof has been shown to make anyone think it could be anything else.

With all respect, I do not believe you are a Judge. The proof is with the poster, his or her posts is your proof and you can not expect anything other than that. I thought users of CAG were here in order to help and provide advice and not to be judgemental and giving opinions based on supposition.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Judgements and personal opinions have to come into it. I am attempting to convey to the OP that he must be certain that he has a watertight case before he takes it further.

I did not say he 'couldn't' claim, I 'asked' if there were reports to back up his claim like a hospital visit and also was there any financial loss.

If there is neither of these things then it is just his word against theirs and it will be an uphill struggle to lay a claim before a court.

Also the 'I' was a typo and I have edited it.

It is still the case that hospital reports aren't required, nor is any pecuniary loss.

I thought you had accepted that : perhaps you have forgotten.

If the claimant goes into court and shows a scar from a burn .. How does a hospital report help prove how it happened?

The most that a prudent Dr would note is "patient stead to me that they burnt it on their laptop" as this is all they could attest to

If someone was trying it on (not that I'm suggesting this is the case here!) : burn off cooker, go to hospital, saying was off laptop : hospital's notes don't provoke or disprove events : only show there was a burn : if the OP can show a court a scar : how does a hospital report prove anything further?

Pecuniary loss (or it's absence) : see previous for why pecuniary loss not required- a claim can arise purely from the non-pecuniary damages.

It won't be an uphill struggle if the OP can show "on balance of probabilities" the laptop or charger caused their burn.

If the charger wasn't faulty : why was it replaced?

Guys, can we call an end to posts as we have a difference of opinions which is fine, but we end up repeating ourselves.

Ok, just one more question to Bazza.

I know that a hospital or doctors report wont prove where it was done or is required, I haven't said it is, but, how will just showing a burn be proof that it was done on a laptop?

how will just showing a burn be proof that it was done on a laptop?

if the OP can show "on balance of probabilities" the laptop or charger caused their burn.

If the charger wasn't faulty : why was it replaced?

balance of probabilities.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Ok, just one more question to Bazza.

I know that a hospital or doctors report wont prove where it was done or is required, I haven't said it is, but, how will just showing a burn be proof that it was done on a laptop?

It neither proves it, nor (critically!) disproves it.

balance of probabilities.

Indeed : 1 inch by 1 inch : wasn't done on a soldering iron !

Faulty laptop / power supply. (Else why were they replaced?)

The defendants could say it wasn't due to their product : that is a triable issue, but unless they can

a) suggest their product wasn't faulty, or

b) suggest it was due to something else and the OP is lying

A court would weigh the evidence.

To suggest the OP is lying would need some reason for the scepticism?

I also burnt my wrist on the lap top..seemed to catch the edge of my wrist when moving lap top on table at home.

You don't get a flesh burn from touching something unless that object is extremely hot, certainly hotter than any laptop could get without catching fire.

You don't get a flesh burn from touching something unless that object is extremely hot, certainly hotter than any laptop could get without catching fire.

human skin burns at around 50c, whilst the plastic on the laptop would not distort and certainly not melt at 50, probably about 90+++

am sure google will have the correct temperatures :)

Even in the event that the latptop did not have a large hole in it and there was a faulty charger, - it is still possible to burn your skin from a laptop and charger having no faults. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/10October/Pages/Skin-damage-linked-with-laptop-use.aspx

Another user, rebel, said that this thread is just going around in circles because a difference of opinion.

Tammie, I hope that you get your injury claim resolved soon.

You would have to have a long contact with the heat to do any damage. Touching something like that is an 'ouch'.

There was an opening to the laptop. An opening to a laptop obviously exposes the electronics inside the laptop. Therefore, on the balance of probabilities the burning was probably caused due to the cracked casing of the laptop which exposed the internal electrics which then caused an electric shock and the resulting burn - something earlier in which I asked whether the OP had proof of the staff stating that it is not a problem concerning the hole in the laptop.

On the balance of probabilities, it was an electrical burn from the exposed insides that the OP was told would not be a problem.