• Tweets

• thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called.    I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job.    However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still have sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks,  Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called.    I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job.    However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still have sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

iPhone IOS update debacle. Phone rendered useless

crantinope
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could provide some advice, or just advise me I am clutching at straws. I will just note the problem in bullet points to make it easier to follow.

The problem/issue:

• New IOS update has rendered 000's of iPhone 4s models with no wi-fi because the option is now greyed out in the settings section
  • General concensus is that it is a hardware issue
  • It seems the latest update has revealed a fault/limitation of the wi-fi chip
  • Apple has provided a list of fixes to follow to attempt to resolve the issue
  • If all of these fail, the advice is basically tough luck, buy a new phone

All of the above information is what I have obtained from the internet regarding the problem.

My Situation:

• I purchased an iPhone 4s on a 2 year monthly contract with a reduced upfront payment for the handset directly from a T-Mobile shop.
  • I purchased the handset in April 2013
  • I am outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty.
  • The issue has affected my handset and none of the fixes suggested by Apple have resolved it.
  • I now have a phone that does not connect to wi-fi, only 3G
  • I not very happy

Although outside the 1 year manufacturer warranty, is it fair for me to expect my handset (that would cost between £3-400 if bought as a handset only) not to be crippled by what is basically an update installed on the direction of the manufacturer (Apple) in the name of giving my phone greater performance and capabilities. The fact that it seems to have awoken a fault with the chipset that was until the latest update, dormant, would suggest that the fault was present from the date of purchase, and was jolted into life by an update direct from Apple themselves.

Obviously in the 1st instance I will go to the shop, but by all accounts, they are likely to say "sorry, need to pay for a repair".

Any advice on how I should play it if that is the response?

Cheers...Nick

If the phone has been damaged by defective firmware then your remedy is under SOGA against the supplier of the phone regardless of the age of the phone

Send an email to [email protected]

They are well aware of this issue and will likely help. They refunded my brother in full for a replacement handset from apple.

Apple will deny the issue and refuse outright to do anything. Even when told of possible court action the manager said 'you won't win we are too big and powerful'.

I was willing to do the paperwork but brother just wanted a replacement phone.

From what I know of the issue it's to do with how ios7 runs needing more processing power so runs hotter causing a flaw in the chip for the Bluetooth and wifi lifting from the board.

Hope that helps

If the phone has been damaged by defective firmware then your remedy is under SOGA against the supplier of the phone regardless of the age of the phone

Problem here is t-mobile will direct the customer to Apple as they apparently have exclusive rights to repair the phones as they are not allowed too. Apple will not repair as it's outside the year.

As I've put above. Email CEO of ee/t-mobile/orange and point out their obligations under SOGA as you won't get far with apple.

Apple can be quite good, i dropped my 3gs a few years ago and smashed the screen

i took it to the Apple shop to get it fixed, they offered me a brand new one for £100

take it there and talk to them, im sure they will help you

Edited by colin11
add to

Hi there! Exactly the same thing happened to me over Christmas. I was one day outside of my year's warranty according to Carphone warehouse. Unfortunately, I had to go to the Apple shop and buy a new one and give them the old useless one back but they did give me a report to state that it was not able to be repaired. Apple advised that they would have replaced my phone if I had bought it through them under their 2 year warranty however Carphone Warehouse refused to do this. In the end, I threatened them with SOGA and a few months down the line, after they had spoken to Apple, they refunded the cost of my phone.

I have now decided that I am only going to buy Apple devices directly from them now because of the 2 year warranty that they provide for this sort of fault. When I checked with my provider, Vodafone, they would also have replaced it for free. I know SOGA does apply but it's hassle for us! Keep fighting though as you have a case!

Best of luck!

As I've put above. Email CEO of ee/t-mobile/orange and point out their obligations under SOGA as you won't get far with apple.

Cheers, I have emailed Olaf to outline my situation and have requested a resolution is reached.

I will let you know.

Cheers.......Nick

As much as I hate Apple, They can be very good with Aftercare

I would still try going to the store... (~Again if youve already been and explain it, take docs with you showing its Apples issues)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

As much as I hate Apple, They can be very good with Aftercare

I would still try going to the store... (~Again if youve already been and explain it, take docs with you showing its Apples issues)

To be fair, if you have checked the internet for Apples response to this problem, you will see quite clearly that they don't give a toss about anyone's handset that is outside their 1 year warranty, and will care even less so about a handset that hasn't even been purchased from one of their own stores.

Well finally managed to visit the shop I bought it from today, and here is a selection of soundbites I endured. "We only provided the network access", "The only time I have seen this happen (once) the Apple fixes remedied the situation", "You need to contact Apple", "It is a software issue when installing the latest IOS". Despite advising that I had purchased the phone from them, and that I was not happy that a phone that was just 3 weeks out of the Manufacturer warranty was now useless and it was their, not Apples obligation to find a solution suitable to me, they were unwilling to help. In fact, I took along some helpful quotes from the SOGA, and the chap had never heard of it, and it was not apparent to him how it was relevant to my iPhone and it's "not being fit for purpose through no fault of the user". All in all, they didn't really seem to be aware of any problem, so I told them to look on the internet to enlighten themselves.

Oh, Olaf isn't replying either despite 2 emails to him :lol:

What should my next step be? Complain using EE's official complaints procedure?

Cheers...Nick

Remind them of SOGA. The retailer must sort it out. The fact he never heard of soga shows that you MUST make a full complaint to the retailer/apple and possibly trading standards.

Remember, the advisors are representatives of the company.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Remind them of SOGA. The retailer must sort it out.

There are only so many times I could have tried to put it to them that it was they, and NOT Apple who needed to provide the resolution. They point blank refused to acknowledge it was their issue now and not Apples as the 12 month warranty had expired. I did forget to say, I think the chap did say "we can send it to Apple for testing", would this be a course of action to agree to, bearing in mind that if none of the fixes suggested by Apple don't work then it can't be fixed anyway?

Cheers...Nick

Repair > replace > refund. If they have offered to repair it make sure it doesn't cost you anything. It is a kbown manufacturer issue so don't get caught out

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Reply I received from EE today. "Nothing to do with us govner"

Thank you for your email dated 8 May 2014 addressed to Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive, EE Ltd. Olaf has asked me to reply and keep him updated on my outcome. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I regret EE is unable to assist with this issue as the phone is the responsibility of Apple. The warranty period is 12 months from date of purchase. Apple do not allow us to repair or replace their products and hold the sole rights for this. Any repairs or replacements would need to be referred to Apple, should they charge a fee this would also be payable if outside of the warranty period.

The software updates released are done by Apple and EE as a network have no control over this. EE provide the SIM Card and access to the mobile network. The Terms and Conditions of your agreement do advise that the phone does not form part of the agreement and is sourced outside of this agreement.

The Executive Office is empowered to deal with any queries directly addressed to Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors. The Executive Office is the highest point of escalation within EE. Should you remain unhappy with this decision, the next step would be to seek independent advice via the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS). CISAS can be contacted using the below information:

CISAS

International Dispute Resolution Centre

70 Fleet Street,

London,

EC4Y 1EU

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 020 7520 3827

Whilst I understand this is not the outcome you were looking for, I trust I have clarified EE's position regarding this matter.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Hunt

Executive Office, EE

c.c. Olaf Swantee, Chief Executive Officer - EE Ltd

Theyre wrong. With soga, the retailer MUST sort it.