Scottish court claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3696 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I split with my ex in December. We had paid the deposit for our wedding and his mum had gifted us £1000 to pay this.

When we split up my ex demanded the money back and I emailed his mum stating I would pay my half £500 when I could financially afford it.

I never heard any more until 2 weeks ago when a small claims summons landed on my doorstep. I do t have £500 sitting in the bank so my family have offered to lend me the money to pay her. I wrote to her stating a date and time she could come and collect the money but today I received a letter from her stating she now wants £571 as this is what she has paid to action the small claims. There were no recipts attached so I only have her word.

My question is as I am settling before the case goes to hearing am I responsible for paying her costs? I thought I was only responsible if the case went to court and I lost.

Annoyingly her son is getting away scot free :(

Just wanted to add incase it makes a difference. In the summons the front page says amount being claimed -she has wrote £500 to include expenses however on page 2 in the summary she has written £500 plus expenses.

I have searched and searched but can't find any help. I'm planning on phoning the court on Monday but just wanted to see if anyone could offer advice over weekend. This whole situation has been incredibly stressful

Edited by hoopylass

Hi hoopy and welcome to CAG

Because the claim has been submitted she will have to have paid a fee to submit... the fee for £500 is currently £45.Even if you agree to settle this out of court you must still acknowledge the claim by the given date and defend unless she with draws the claim.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi hoopy and welcome to CAG

Because the claim has been submitted she will have to have paid a fee to submit... the fee for £500 is currently £45.Even if you agree to settle this out of court you must still acknowledge the claim by the given date and defend unless she with draws the claim.

Regards

Andy

Hi andy and thanks for the reply.

In the court papers it says I only have to defend if disputing the claim. If I pay in full I have to do this by 18th April and the cort also have to be notified by this date.

If the court fee is £45 then why is she claiming for £71. Should I ask to see proof before handing over any money?

Again my question that is confusing me ... Should I be paying her costs at all when she hasn't followed correct procedure.

Edited by hoopylass

I'd say you should, I'll ask another 'fifer' to see what she thinks when she comes online.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

So £71 is correct I was looking at English fees hoopylass..If you dont pay the total amount the claimant is allowed to proceed just for the balance.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Agreed with Andy if you don't include costs to proceed claim the case will go ahead for remainder of she chooses to do so

You also have the option of writing to her offering amount to dismiss the claim

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)