• Tweets

• Write to the IPC complaining that UKPC have not observed the requirements of PoFA . IPC  Waterside House, Macclesfield SK10 9NR Dear IPC, I am writing to complain about a serious breach of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 by UKPCM. I feel that as it is more a breach of the Act rather than not just  complying with your Code of Practice which is why I am bypassing your operator. Should you decide to insist that I first complain to your operator, I will instead pass over my complaint to the ICO and the DVLA . My story starts with being issued a windscreen PCN on 8/3/24 which was almost immediately removed and a second  PCN was then  sent by post on 13/3/24  [deemed delivered 15/3/24] which I did not receive and had to send an sar to have that particular mess revealed later  but that is not the reason for my complaint. UKPC then sent a Keeper Liability Notice dated 12/4/24 warning me that as 28 days have now elapsed, I as keeper am now liable for the charge.  This is in direct contravention of PoFA since the keeper does not become liable to pay until the day after the original PCN is deemed to have been given which would have been 13/4/24 -a Saturday ]. Not only does it not comply with PoFA but it fails to adhere to your Code of Practice and is in breach of their agreement with the DVLA. You will be aware that this is not the first time that UKPC have fallen foul of the DVLA and presumably yourselves. I have included copies of both Notices for information. You will realise the seriousness of this situation if this is standard practice from the UKPC to all motorists or just those where windscreen tickets are involved since the Law regarding PoFA is being abused and is unfair to misguide motorists. I await your  response which I understand will usually be within a week. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I would think that should be sufficient for the IPC to cancel your PCN though  you should await comments from the Site team before sending your complaint. Don't forget to include both PCNs.  
    • Hi DX, Sorry, fell asleep as I was up all night last night writing that statement. Yes, I attached the rest of the witness statement on post 50, bottom of webpage 2. That's the important part.  It looks like the lawyer who wrote Erudio's Witness statement does not work for them any more. So, I'll have another lawyer representing instead. Not sure if I can use Andy's hearsay argument verbally if that happens.... I did not put it in writing. Apart from not sending deferral forms, my main argument is that in 2014 Erudio fixed some arrears mistake that SLC made and then in 2018 they did the same mistake, sent me confusing letters. What is the legal defence when they send you confusing material?
    • Chinese firm MineOne Partners has been ordered to sell land it owns near a US nuclear missile site.View the full article
    • That isn’t actually what the Theft Act 1968 S1 actually says, BTW. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1 (1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it;   The difference between what you’ve said and the Act? a) intent to permanently deprive rather than  just depriving (which is why the offence of “taking without consent” was brought in for motor vehicles, as otherwise "joyriders" could say "but I intended to give it back at the end") b) dishonesty : If I honestly believed A's pen belonged to B, and took it and gave it to B - B might be found guilty of theft but I shouldn't be. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Default notices dates of service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would think it would be, if equal to first class post (i.e. delivered the day after posting) as the definition of just being Royal Mail was removed.

What is it precisely that you are tying to establish?

What is the criteria for posting a DN. Is it enough to say "it would of been sent ...xyz", is there a need for an affadavit of service? Would the sender of a DN need to keep a record of sending/postage, would it be prudent for him to do so? Just to establish that situation really. Many creditors now will rely on (and apparently satisfy ssome courts) producing some sort of record to say one was produced, and further rely on "would of been sent"...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just seen a case that might be of interest. It seems to discuss service and default notices. I have not read it properly. Branden v American Express 2011 EWCA (Civ) 1187. Make sure you look at the right case as an earlier decision has been reversed.

Edited by richard_se11
typo

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).

Just to put a spoke into the works there has been a recent case arrow global v frost where the judge said two things

1) His opinion was that date if service was date posted

2) If he was wrong the evidence provided showed that it was served in time. That evidence was the comms log and the agreement between the creditor and ukmail.

I am sorry but i can not past the judgement as my attachments are limited. If you want to read it i can email it to the site team

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

is there a citation for that case, I gather it is County Court so persuasive not binding. If he considered that the date of service was the date served, I presume that was posted electronically, i.e. email, as that deemed serves same day (if before 4.30pm).

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).

It was actually sent by UK mail on a friday with delivery by the Monday. I have emailed the attachment to Citizen B with a link to this so please bear with Citizen B as they might not be around at the mo.

As far as I know email is not considered service for such documents at the moment

the judge also ignored the opinions of Goode, and said 1/2 days short would be deminimus. I feel the judge had such a poor opinion of the Frosts,who had kept no paperwork anyway that the judgement is questionable at best

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

the judge also ignored the opinions of Goode, and said 1/2 days short would be deminimus. I feel the judge had such a poor opinion of the Frosts,who had kept no paperwork anyway that the judgement is questionable at best

Yes the Judge clearly did not rate the defendant as a good witness however I think he did look at the evidence. Salary at time of recorded application about correct, salary at time of alleged application not so.

Clearly an HSBC/Midland card was in place at some point but no memory of that

CCA request was provided during case

I do have huge misgivings on the default notice and certainly re iterates that keeping the envelope with date of receipt is vital

It was actually sent by UK mail on a friday with delivery by the Monday. I have emailed the attachment to Citizen B with a link to this so please bear with Citizen B as they might not be around at the mo.

As far as I know email is not considered service for such documents at the moment

sorry fletch have been away the weekend.. will go and check my mail :) BRB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Here you go..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49420[/ATTACH]

This is not a good judgment at all... and appears to fly in the face of other judgments, one of which was an appeal hearing, wasnt it ?

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is my understanding that UK Mail could not offer a next day service purely because they had to deliver to the Royal Mail for the "final mile".

Even on their website they did not claim to offer a next day service. - I think that might be covered in Harrison v Link.

Some other information for you in respect of Default Notices..

De Minimis Cannot Apply to s87(1) Default Notices

Woodchester v Swayne & Co [1998] EWCA Civ 1209 (14 July 1998.)

==============

Lord Justice Kennedy (Lord Justice of Appeal):

The court might overlook an error which could be described as no more than de minimus, but Mr Gruffyd realistically does not contend that the error with which we are concerned can be so described.

This was just an off the cuff comment, where the Lord Justice confused himself. The correct statement of the Law appears earlier in the Judgment when counsel for Swayne and co submitted:

Mr Hodgkinson:

…that this court has no discretion in the matter and invited our attention to other parts of the statute, particularly Section 60 and the sections associated therewith including Section 127 where it is clear that a discretion is given which is noticeably absent in the case of Sections 87, 88 and 89.

Lord Justice Kennedy:

In my judgment, Mr Hodgkinson is right for the reasons which he has given.

==============

A Default Notice has to be penny perfect, which does fit with the underlying statute. Particularly when you consider section 172 of the CCA74:

BCOBS

I thought it was still possible to use this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49421[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

Hi Citizen B , Thanks for that and hope you had a good weekend.

The pdf you posted follows everything that I thought and would certainly be used by me if I were defending myself. All I can say is what was in the judgement and yes I know it is only county court , and yes on some of the points I disagree with the judge but they were refused leave to appeal and I have sort of hung myself by my instance in the past of always using the law

Having spoken to my solicitor his opinion was:1. The CPR only defines first class post and other forms of service such as electronic and by hand, it does not define second class post2. Therefore if you can get your defendant to admit that second class post was used (that was the standard method in recent years due to cost) then the 1985 PD are still in place, as the CPR states that any previous directions remain in place unless the CPR itself updates them

Having spoken to my solicitor his opinion was:1. The CPR only defines first class post and other forms of service such as electronic and by hand, it does not define second class post2. Therefore if you can get your defendant to admit that second class post was used (that was the standard method in recent years due to cost) then the 1985 PD are still in place, as the CPR states that any previous directions remain in place unless the CPR itself updates them

wap, nothing you've said above makes any sense to me. People are mentioning CPR. A Default Notice is not part of the Civil Procedure . Nor is it neccesarily part of pre action protocol. So how everyone is mentioning CPR in relationship to DN's baffles me. Its merely a Notice that you have Defaulted, it may or may not lead to further action, its a step a Creditor needs to take before he can assert his rights. So whether CPR says documents need to be served in a bright yellow envelope is neither here nor there.

The CCA itself spells out whats acceptable for Documents served under the Act.

176 Service of documents.

(1)A document to be served under this Act by one person ( “the server ”) on another person ( “the subject ”) is to be treated as properly served on the subject if dealt with as mentioned in the following subsections.

(2)The document may be delivered or sent [F1by an appropriate method] to the subject, or addressed to him by name and left at his proper address.

(3)For the purposes of this Act, a document sent by post to, or left at, the address last known to the server as the address of a person shall be treated as sent by post to, or left at, his proper address.

Seems straightforward to me, Documents required to be sent under the CCA can be sent by post?

Interpretation Act

7 References to service by post.

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression “serve” or the expression “give” or “send” or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post

This seems very straightforward to me. The only thing it doesn't address is how it was sent exactly as there is a few methods of "ordinary course of post". You could not prove the contrary unless you knew what it was supposed to be?

Thats where the 1985 Practice Direction helps, it clarifies it.

Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or

second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class

mail was used.

It should now be a straightforward matter. The issuer of the Default Notice will have a Affadavit of service or they have not. Service of such Document can be worked out from that very easily. Its either two days from posting or four days from posting.

Thats my take on it now from all the reading i've done. Unless i've missed something?

The reason for the original post was that the defendants solicitor had specifically told me that the 1985 Practice Directions were not current law anymore, particularly since the CPR updated the definition of several types of service. The exact definition of the type of postage/service used is crucial to most of these cases, else how can you demonstate that you didn't have the statutary 14 days to remedy - that is what you are missing I think. Simply quoting the CCA doesn't help you in court unless you can show you did not have the 14 days, and that is where the method of postage becomes crucial -1st or 2nd class and the repective definition would then be the difference between winning or losing that case

Yes i'm broadly agreeing with you here. I think with a lack of anymore knowledge on it i'd intend to put forward the information (1985PD), as Richard says in post #21 on this thread, it will be for the Judge to decide. What seems obvious to me either way is that the onus is on the server of the notice to quantify its postage method, and not the other way round.

I've searched and up until now i can't find that the practice direction we're talking about has been revoked?

I thought it was still possible to use this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49421[/ATTACH]

Judges are trying to say that is an out dated info, and the so called white book says different (but when asked to show in court the judge brushed it aside) even going to say 2 days is the norm and posted on a Friday means delivery on a Sunday? yes and I pointed out no Sunday deliveries since end off the 1950s only to be told it is in the White Book! The judges have no respect for legislation these days and should be investigated!

Bickford-Smith was quoted to her in two separate cases.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

It is a worry that a judge has said he believes that service is the day of POSTAGE and not receipt. I am sure that in an appeal that would be overturned but Mrs Frost was not given leave to appeal. I also understand that the legal team were similar to that who won the Mayhew case

People are mentioning CPR. A Default Notice is not part of the Civil Procedure . Nor is it neccesarily part of pre action protocol. So how everyone is mentioning CPR in relationship to DN's baffles me. Its merely a Notice that you have Defaulted, it may or may not lead to further action, its a step a Creditor needs to take before he can assert his rights.

Sorry Mary, I am a little confused. If a default notice [or particularly the interpretation of normal post] is not part of CPR as you assert, why are the 1985 Pratice Directions (essentially a practice direction to the 1985 Civil Procedure Rules) being quoted/relied upon?

Judges are trying to say that is an out dated info, and the so called white book says different (but when asked to show in court the judge brushed it aside) even going to say 2 days is the norm and posted on a Friday means delivery on a Sunday? yes and I pointed out no Sunday deliveries since end off the 1950s only to be told it is in the White Book! The judges have no respect for legislation these days and should be investigated!

Bickford-Smith was quoted to her in two separate cases.

Deemed service for a letter posted on Friday is Monday - it's the first business day after the day after posting (so posted at 10pm on Friday it is Monday). This is in the White Book (don't ask what page as my version is 2011), and is in Practice Direction 6A to the 1998 Criminal Procedure Rules. To argue that the 1985 Practice Direction is still in effect when the current Civil Procedure Rules and associated PDs are from 1998 seems strange to me, but when I have the chance I'll try and find whether they have been revoked/amended or substituted.

I don't think anyone is arguing that default notices are part of the CPR. The CPR is being quoted as whether or not a DN is legally valid depends on whether the person it is served upon has a clear 14 days or more to remedy. In order to determine this people who have been served DNs need to know how many days the law will allow for postage: this is where the 1985 PD and the CPR of 1998 come in - they define the days allowed for postage. It is not possible to determine the legal validity of most DNs on the question of the 14 days to remedy of you cannot establish that you were given less than 14 days - this is why people on this thread are referring to the CPR and the 1985 PD

The only reason I raised the issue of the 1985 PD in my original post is that the 1998 CPR does not define second class post, only first class. Therefore if you have a defendant admitting (as in my case) that second class post was used the issue was can you refer back to the 1985 PD. The 1998 CPR actually states in the preamble that pre-existing PDs may still be in place in they are not specifically revoked or altered by the 1998 CPR