• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hastings Direct - painful, degrading experience - DO NOT USE

MammaP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3316 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have not had to use insurance services for making a claim in 20 years of driving.

I was involved in a no fault accident, and Hasting Direct advised me that Albany Assistance would be calling me to deal with this, I thought this strange at the time, but thought no more of it at the time.

Albany called me and started their blurb....not connected to HD in any way, .......sign a credit agreement............STOP......why am I signing a credit agreement for a no fault accident? if you aren't happy speak to your insurer.....so I did, to be told that was the process, I had to go with Albany, and they would deal with everything, but I wanted to go through my insurer, as it was non fault..... after 45 minutes of wrangling with a HD claims rep, regarding why I pay 250 a year for fully comp insurance , what was I paying them for - well apparently it's only in case of accident so the third party can claim, effectively telling me no difference to third party insurance, and it's not fully comp, its comprehensive insurance with add ons!!!!!! - misleading, when you choose full comprehensive on go compare, Money Supermarket etc....

Now I was under the impression that my insurance company should have contacted the 3rd party to see if they accepted blame then co-ordinate with me to ensure the whole process goes as smoothly as possible......NOOOOOOO, nothing so simple. They only offered me the option to pay my excess and go through their recommended repairer, so I opted for this option.

After 7 days Nationwide declared my car a write off, and within 20 minutes were demanding their courtesy car back! I called HD to see what happens next and they said nothing as I hadn't gone with Albany, they wouldn't offer me a hire car until the claim was settled. Now no money for replacement car, no offer of same, no hire car to get me to work.

After a further 1 hour conversation with their rep I called the 3rd party insurers who sorted everything out for me - hire car, injury claim, and hopefully a good offer for my car. So BIG SHOUT OUT TO SAGA. I feel like I am in safe hands. and thankfully have been able to cancel the claim through Hastings.

I will not be renewing with HASTINGS DIRECT, and will be making a formal complaint to them, but having read some of the threads here they don't seem to take them seriously so is there any point?

I would like HD to respond to the questions below -

1 - Why do you not give your customers - the people who ensure the continuity of your business - the ability to make INFORMED choices about what they want to do - EG You can either go with Albany, sign a credit agreement and waive your excess OR Pay your excess and go with nationwide, (and have us be as unhelpful and give you NO advice or guidance as to your rights..........)

They treat their customers with indignity and like cash cows, to pass on to others to squeeze for as much money as they can......

2 - Why do you not give your customers any help, if they decide NOT to use Albany? You gave me no help, advice or support throughout my whole experience with you.

3 - Why do you as insurer not be a bit more transparent in the way you work? You tell customers one thing, yet write different things in your policy books - which state clearly they will pass you onto Nationwide their recommended repairers, but you don't.....

DO NOT USE!!!!!

I have had to edit quite a lot of detail from this post, and it's still awfy long! sorry....

PS Asked to speak to a manager, but not had a call back yet.....:-x

Edited by honeybee13
Pejorative terms removed

Hi MammaP, Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience. We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service that you have received, can you please contact us directly and we will assist you in making a complaint, please supply the policy/claims details by email to [email protected]. With regards to the questions you have posed above, we would not be able to comment without first fully investigating your case. Many Thanks, Jamie

Hi MammaP, Thank you for your reply, I look forward to your email so that we can investigate this matter for you. I am sorry that you feel you have had to post here on CAG in order to get a response, once we have your policy details we will be able to investigate this further. Many Thanks, Jamie

• 1 month later...
I have not had to use insurance services for making a claim in 20 years of driving.

I was involved in a no fault accident, and Hasting Direct advised me that Albany Assistance would be calling me to deal with this, I thought this strange at the time, but thought no more of it at the time.

Albany called me and started their blurb....not connected to HD in any way, .......sign a credit agreement............STOP......why am I signing a credit agreement for a no fault accident? if you aren't happy speak to your insurer.....so I did, to be told that was the process, I had to go with Albany, and they would deal with everything, but I wanted to go through my insurer, as it was non fault..... after 45 minutes of wrangling with a HD claims rep, regarding why I pay 250 a year for fully comp insurance , what was I paying them for - well apparently it's only in case of accident so the third party can claim, effectively telling me no difference to third party insurance, and it's not fully comp, its comprehensive insurance with add ons!!!!!! - misleading, when you choose full comprehensive on go compare, Money Supermarket etc....

Now I was under the impression that my insurance company should have contacted the 3rd party to see if they accepted blame then co-ordinate with me to ensure the whole process goes as smoothly as possible......NOOOOOOO, nothing so simple. They only offered me the option to pay my excess and go through their recommended repairer, so I opted for this option.

After 7 days Nationwide declared my car a write off, and within 20 minutes were demanding their courtesy car back! I called HD to see what happens next and they said nothing as I hadn't gone with Albany, they wouldn't offer me a hire car until the claim was settled. Now no money for replacement car, no offer of same, no hire car to get me to work.

After a further 1 hour conversation with their rep I called the 3rd party insurers who sorted everything out for me - hire car, injury claim, and hopefully a good offer for my car. So BIG SHOUT OUT TO SAGA. I feel like I am in safe hands. and thankfully have been able to cancel the claim through Hastings.

I will not be renewing with HASTINGS DIRECT, and will be making a formal complaint to them, but having read some of the threads here they don't seem to take them seriously so is there any point?

I would like HD to respond to the questions below -

1 - Why do you not give your customers - the people who ensure the continuity of your business - the ability to make INFORMED choices about what they want to do - EG You can either go with Albany, sign a credit agreement and waive your excess OR Pay your excess and go with nationwide, (and have us be as unhelpful and give you NO advice or guidance as to your rights..........)

They treat their customers with indignity and like cash cows, to pass on to others to squeeze for as much money as they can......

2 - Why do you not give your customers any help, if they decide NOT to use Albany? You gave me no help, advice or support throughout my whole experience with you.

3 - Why do you as insurer not be a bit more transparent in the way you work? You tell customers one thing, yet write different things in your policy books - which state clearly they will pass you onto Nationwide their recommended repairers, but you don't.....

DO NOT USE!!!!!

I have had to edit quite a lot of detail from this post, and it's still awfy long! sorry....

PS Asked to speak to a manager, but not had a call back yet.....:-x

I have had EXACTLY the same problems regarding Hasting's Direct. I was driven into by a man who claimed full responsibility for the accident. Hastings told me they'd get their accident management company to deal with the request, Albany Assistance. My vehicle was assessed by Albany Assistance engineers and deemed a Total Loss so Albany Assistance asked the 3rd party insurers to raise a cheque for the value of my car, minus the salvage amount.

The salvage of my vehicle is now the issue as my insurers say that by accepting payment from the 3rd party insurers, I am accepting that they will deal with the logistics of salvaging my car. However, the 3rd party insurers say that as I am not insured with them, they do not take on the salvage of my car and that I personally, will have to salvage the car. They have placed a high valuation on the salvage, and I feel certain this is not achievable, therefore if I do go ahead and salvage my car, I will lose out financially and will not have been compensated for the financial loss of my vehicle.

I have asked Hastings to organise the salvage, pay me the value attributed for the salvage, and seek reimbursement from the 3rd party insurer should there be a shortfall, but they refuse to do so. This is my insurance company I have paid a premium to, and the accident is no fault of my own - what should I physically organise the salvage of my vehicle?

I spoke to Hastings raising the following points:

-I want them to organise the salvage and pay me the salvage cost

-That I will collate all of the information I have (I have made painstaking notes on every phone call and correspondence...hours worth!, and will be forwarding it all to the Financial Ombudsman.

The rep I spoke to in the Total Loss dept (Joel) told me he'd put me through to their complaints procedure dept., and promptly cut me off.

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Hi apsax, Thank you for taking the time to post about your issue. I am very sorry to see that you are unhappy. Can you please contact us directly and supply some details of your policy so that I can follow this up with our claims team on your behalf? [email protected] Many Thanks, Jamie

I have contacted the address you supplied Jamie, with the reference details and quoted your comment above. I look forward to hearing your response with regard to the Salvage of my car and the misleading manner in which I feel I have been dealt with by Hastings.

I am expecting to hear something back tomorrow morning from Hastings Direct regarding the issue with them refusing to organise the Salvage/Total Loss payout for my car, and them instructing Albany Assistance to deal with the claim.

I'll keep all posted

I dont understand why you would need to sign a credit agreement for anything ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Jamie at Hastings said my case was being escalated, but I still haven't heard anything. Friday afternoon now, so that's another week goes by and the Salvage of my vehicle is still not organised by Hastings Direct, therefore further delaying the payout for the Total Loss of my car, where I wasn't even liable for the accident.

I now have NO courtesy car as I was forced to return that today - you are only given 7 days from what insurers deem to be 'settlement' - but I don't class a payout for the value of my car minus the salvage value (that which they deem it is worth to a scrap dealer which in my case is around £4000 set by Albany Assist who have been equally difficult) as being a settlement.

The accident happened over a month ago now and I still don't have the money to put me back to a place where I was before I was driven into by the guilty party.

Hasting are miss advising you regarding the salvage.

If you were claiming from your own Insurer (With whom you in effect have a contract) then in the event of an accident your Insurers would normally handle and deduct the value of the salvage from your claims settlement.

However when you claim directly from the other Insurer there is no customer / supplier arrangement eg you have no contract with them, they are simply paying out to settle their clients liability to you following the fault accident.

It's very very very rare for a third party Insurer to handle the salvage of the vehicle, they simply deduct the value from the amount they send you and they've full filled their responsibility.

Are you aware that Albany will have paid Hastings about £300 commission for palming your claim off onto them so they can make money from the very lucrative credit hire car they put you in?

Are you also aware Albany's reputation have ? google them, you'll find plenty of people posting about them.

It's nice to see that when selecting which accident management company to use Hastings did not look for the company paying the most commission and strove to find a company with a good reputation to work on behalf of their customers. Oh they didn't

Thank you so much for that dacouc. It IS as I thought and Hastings Direct are pulling the wool over my eyes attempting to tell me that I am now effectively in the hands of the 3rd Party insurers since I have received a cheque from them and paid it in for the valuation minus the salvage - but Albany Assist, who are acting on behalf of Hastings, asked the 3rd PT insurer to raise that cheque and send it to me. I categorically stated to the 3rd PT insurer at the outset, that I did not want them dealing with my claim, but my own insurer for the precise reason you state. Who in their right mind would want to go with the 3rd party insurer when you have no contract with them?!

What you say regarding the back handlers is of no surprise either, I sensed it was a very incestuous business from the way Albany and Hastings were stone walling me with the same story.

I have since googled Albany Assistance and Hastings a Direct, and the web is rife with worrying stories of the same kind.

I just hope they see that what they are doing is incredibly unfair on their consumer - a paying customer, and do the right thing and Salvage my vehicle, raise a cheque for the specified amount, and reclaim it from the 3rd PT.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Have had no communication from Hastings regarding my issue with the salvage of my car through Albany Assistance. When I heard from them through this thread 5 messages ago, I imagined they would come back to me.

Have had no communication from Hastings regarding my issue with the salvage of my car through Albany Assistance. When I heard from them through this thread 5 messages ago, I imagined they would come back to me.

Hi apsax, Thank you for posting an update. As I informed you via email your file has been escalated to our Customer Relations team to carry out a full investigation, this will take some time. However, I will chase them for you and ask that they give you a courtesy call to provide an update on what timescales you can expect. Many Thanks, Jamie

Spoke to one of the Hasting's customer care team today who is going to look into the 3rd PT involvement and see if he can clear up what's going on. Great to hear from him, and actually have a point of contact. Fingers crossed we get a resolution.

Spoke to one of the Hasting's customer care team today who is going to look into the 3rd PT involvement and see if he can clear up what's going on. Great to hear from him, and actually have a point of contact. Fingers crossed we get a resolution.

Hi apsax, Thank you for taking the time to provide an update. I hope that we are able to find a suitable resolution for you soon. Many Thanks, Jamie

It's now looking like we finally have a resolution. I've been liaising with a terrific chap Joe in the Hastings Complaints dept. He has been very transparent (that's all you need to put your mind at rest - to know you're actually being represented by the insurance company you've paid your premium to). He has spoken to the 3rd party insurer to insist they organise the salvage of my vehicle, and raise a cheque for the full salvage value. The 3rd PT have agreed, so I'm now in the process of transferring my car ownership to them.

Still possibly a few weeks to go before I get my money, but it's looking promising.

I will post the final outcome once I actually have the money in my account. It's not over till the fat lady sings and all that.....

It's now looking like we finally have a resolution. I've been liaising with a terrific chap Joe in the Hastings Complaints dept. He has been very transparent (that's all you need to put your mind at rest - to know you're actually being represented by the insurance company you've paid your premium to). He has spoken to the 3rd party insurer to insist they organise the salvage of my vehicle, and raise a cheque for the full salvage value. The 3rd PT have agreed, so I'm now in the process of transferring my car ownership to them.

Still possibly a few weeks to go before I get my money, but it's looking promising.

I will post the final outcome once I actually have the money in my account. It's not over till the fat lady sings and all that.....

Good news.

I assume you read the reviews / complaints online about Albany and are aware one of their failings is dragging their feet.

You would almost certainly have had your claim settled much quicker by avoiding Albany and going direct to the other company who appear to have acted correctly throughout their dealings with you.

By using Albany you enriched Hastings by about £300 commission and Albany by whatever inflated hire car charge they raised, going direct would have saved the other Insurer a serious amount of money

• 1 month later...

I have FINALLY received a cheque from the TP insurer ELDON for the salvage of my car. This was only after more chasing by myself, not Hastings.

I am now left with 2 months of 'chasing up the monies' phone bills that have cost me £140 more than my contract; this is because both companies use premium cost phone lines of 0845/0844: and remember this is all through an accident where I didn't make a claim, and the 3rd Party claimed full responsibility from the start. Isn't that a disgrace?

I still don't believe I was given a fair price for my car - I couldn't find a 'like for like' replacement for the same money, and had to take out a loan to pay for the replacement car since the insurance took 2 and 1/2 months to pay out in full.

The whole episode has left me feeling quite ill and shocked at the state/morals of the insurance companies in the UK. My new car insurance will not be taken via the cheapest quote from comparison websites, but from companies I HAVE had fair dealings from in the past - namely NFU Mutual with whom I have Horse Trailer, Home Isurance and Equine policies have always been outstanding.

• 9 months later...

Jesus wept.

If I had read this I would never have taken a policy out with them.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

....:-x

Now I am no expert in claims and I am under the same apparently mistaken delusion as mammaP in that with comprehensive insurance, my insurance company deals with everything - and not by selling me to some other company who wants me to take up credit agreements and liability for paying costs - that is what I took out the insurance to protect me AGAINST after all ....

I am also deeply concerned that apparently some call centre folk tell their policy holders

1. that they HAVE to go through Albany

and/or

2 That if they go through Albany the customer wont lose their no claims (thereby at least implying that they would lose their NC any other way)

Can the Hastings reps clarify please?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Now I am no expert in claims and I am under the same apparently mistaken delusion as mammaP in that with comprehensive insurance, my insurance company deals with everything - and not by selling me to some other company who wants me to take up credit agreements and liability for paying costs - that is what I took out the insurance to protect me AGAINST after all ....

I am also deeply concerned that apparently some call centre folk tell their policy holders

1. that they HAVE to go through Albany

and/or

2 That if they go through Albany the customer wont lose their no claims (thereby at least implying that they would lose their NC any other way)

Can the Hastings reps clarify please?

No edit option showing so I'll update via reply with quote

Well no reply so far from the Hasting reps, and the longer they take, the more time I have to think about this.

MammaP,

The first thing Albany said was that 'they are not connected to HD in any way'.

Beggars the question to Albany - then how do you have any information on me?

It would seem to be them starting their contact with a blatant lie if as reported, HD call centers send their customers to Albany AND apparently telling at least some of their (HD) customers that they HAVE to go through Albany.

It certainly seems immoral to me, but I wonder if this is actionable by the regulators if anyone has evidence (recorded call, email etc)?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

No edit option showing so I'll update via reply with quote

Well no reply so far from the Hasting reps, and the longer they take, the more time I have to think about this.

MammaP,

The first thing Albany said was that 'they are not connected to HD in any way'.

Beggars the question to Albany - then how do you have any information on me?

It would seem to be them starting their contact with a blatant lie if as reported, HD call centers send their customers to Albany AND apparently telling at least some of their (HD) customers that they HAVE to go through Albany.

It certainly seems immoral to me, but I wonder if this is actionable by the regulators if anyone has evidence (recorded call, email etc)?

Albany pay Hastings a commission of circa £400 if they refer a customer to Albany who uses a credit hire vehicle