• Tweets

• OpenAI and Reddit reach deal that will give ChatGPT access to content on the social media platform.View the full article
    • Even if that was not a PCN on your car, can you still swear that a PCN was not placed on your car ? NO Even if they showed you a copy of the PCN they sent, can you still wear that they actually sent the first PCN to you? NO Why are still quibbling  when the real argument is why they have broken the Act by telling you that you hadn't paid when in reality they shouldn't have sent that letter out probably until Monday which  would have been deemed received  on Wednesday? If you are that bothered about it, just leave out the start about the windscreen ticket since it isn't why you are complaining.
    • I am sorry that you have come across excel -possibly the most inhumane of all the rogues that ruin parking in private car parks. i am more sorry that I have missed your thread until now. As I understand it, their artic. was parked in front of their parking sign and the Blue badge places forcing you to stop somewhere else in the car park to observe the rules. On realising that even the Blue badge places were paid places and that you did not have the correct coinage you quite rightly decided to leave. Thus you had read their terms and until you have read them and signified your acceptance by either paying or staying, you are not classed as being parked.  You have a MINiMUM of five minutes  leave. Sadly Excel do not understand any words greater than two syllables which is where their problems start. Their greed, ignorance, inhumanity, etc etc all carry on from there. However they do know that Judges do understand what minimum means and are well aware of the Equality Act  so I wouldn't be too worried about what excel  will do. Plus we still have to see their PCN and when it comes to producing a Notice that complies with the Act relating to private car parks they do not excel at that. I hope that the Iceland MD will cancel the ticket. You still have a couple of other routes you could try. The first one is your Member of Parliament will probably be happy to help as they will need all the votes they can get with an election looming. Plus your local newspaper may also pitch in after hearing your story to go after Iceland and excel. [You may notice I have not merite them with a capital E as it is definitely undeserved.]
    • i would focus on a stupid youthful act. ...a waste of time... so what.. it's worked before. when is your hearing? dx    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Pension Credit Guarantee AND State Pension.

silverlight
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If there is a claim for Pension Credit made, the amount of State Retirement pension is deducted from it. That seems totally logical to me.

If however you choose not to claim the pension for whatever reason AND make a claim for Pension Credit you cannot enhance the level of that pension either to obtain a future lump sum or an increase in the pension.

I then read that if you do not claim the pension AND claim Pension Credit, the amount of the pension you are deemed to be entitled to will be deducted from the Pension Credit award in any event?

As there appears to be a cut off of 12 months to make a claim for your pension, what I would like to know is:

If someone claims Pension Credit and does not make a claim for their State Pension for say 9 years and as you can only reclaim the past 12 months, what happens to the missing 8 years in that example?

I do hope that the answer isn't that the government take it?

The reason I ask is that the friend I am trying to advise appears to have this problem. I have tried to reconcile their total income, have looked at their Pension Credit award notice which shows a deduction for his wife's pension, yet she appears not to have claimed it for the past 9 years - she is 69 and older than my friend by 5 years.

The current deduction level is £64.27 per week.

They have an AIP that ends next February on the date of my friends 65th birthday.

In round figures she is owed approx. £30,000, which if the claim is only limited to 12 months, she would only receive approx. £3300 - it's the missing £26700 that I am concerned about.

Edited by silverlight

In round figures she is owed approx. £30,000, which if the claim is only limited to 12 months, she would only receive approx. £3300 - it's the missing £26700 that I am concerned about.

Yes, I can see that's a concern and it's kind of you to help her. Has your friend tried the CAB for example?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If someone claims Pension Credit and does not make a claim for their State Pension for say 9 years and as you can only reclaim the past 12 months, what happens to the missing 8 years in that example?

Its given to poor MP's to heat their second homes,

(Or am I being cynical here?)

Taking a poke at the world

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Yes, I can see that's a concern and it's kind of you to help her. Has your friend tried the CAB for example?

HB

Thanks HoneyB once again.

I can only do what I can do unfortunately. Between us both it is akin to the 'Blind leading the blind'.

Yes CAB were contacted a while ago by my friend when he thought he had a problem but didn't realise how big a problem it was. All that they suggested was for her to apply immediately for her pension and ask for it to be backdated 12 months at least. As for the earlier years they simply don't have the staff to advise on that matter.

All of this has come about due to his illness and inability to deal with his wife's and his own financial affairs. What with the DLA problem and failure to deal with the refusal to award back in 2005 and the failure to deal with his wife's pension when she became 60 also at the same time.

My own analysis of the problem, and assuming the worst (that no monies will be paid by the DWP for both situations) it is looking like a loss of £26700 of State Retirement pension plus the loss of the DLA award which by my own calculations adds up to another approx. £31200.

I cannot believe that there aren't many others in this same situation with what appears to be a cynical way of reducing payments to eligible people in the interest of reducing the Welfare budget. I think that Mr Osbourne should send a letter of thanks to my friend for the generosity of 'donating' something like £58,000 of entitlement to the Welfare Budget pot!!

I shall plod on asking questions of anybody and everybody in the hope that some light may be shed on a possible solution.

Edited by silverlight

Its given to poor MP's to heat their second homes,

(Or am I being cynical here?)

Thanks, no I don't think you are being cynical. I doubt very much that any MP would find themselves in this same position of having not claimed £58,000 when it was there for the asking!! Maybe a new duck house??

Have you rang The Pension Advisory Service - I had an online chat with them about claiming an ill health pension from my previous employer and they were very helpful and worked out rough figure on how much tax I would pay etc. I have just got ESA Support Group so they felt I should apply for ill health pension as ESA is £106 per week but then pension would be £300 per week . Give them a try

On Pension Advisory Service home page look at second column from right, hallway down page there is a brown contact us box and below the phone number and email there is web chat - click on that if you don't want to call an 0845 number - its live online chat 9-5 weekdays

Where any of them receiving any income in the past 8 years as this is deducted from the Pension Credit even if it is an occupational pension? What other benefits did they receive in the 8 years? If they have been making the deduction incorrectly for the 8 years, then the full amount would have to be refunded without the 12 month cut off limit.

Where any of them receiving any income in the past 8 years as this is deducted from the Pension Credit even if it is an occupational pension? What other benefits did they receive in the 8 years? If they have been making the deduction incorrectly for the 8 years, then the full amount would have to be refunded without the 12 month cut off limit.

Thank you

Yes they were receiving other income during the period and it was deducted before the Pension Credit payment was made. Pension credit was a 'top up'.

The Pension Credit payments, it now appears, were showing a deduction for the State Pension that had not been claimed. It seems that they are allowed to do this automatically.

My only chance for them to recover some of this money is to hope that the Pension service will treat it as a deferral and either increase what they have now claimed or pay it as a lump sum.

However from what I have read, since 2010 this is not possible and any pension not claimed and it has been used to reduce the level of Pension Credit will be lost. I'm just hoping that prior to 2010, this wasn't the case.

If they made the deduction it is an "official mistake" and they should be able to reclaim as there was a physical deduction. I would think the difference would be if it was never claimed for at all. I think the best bet is to speak to someone at CAB or a person with more knowledge in benefits and pensions.

If they made the deduction it is an "official mistake" and they should be able to reclaim as there was a physical deduction. I would think the difference would be if it was never claimed for at all. I think the best bet is to speak to someone at CAB or a person with more knowledge in benefits and pensions.

Bit of an update

The latest 'advice' that was received today from the Pension Service was that they are right!!!

The pension income is quite rightly deducted in the Pension Credit calculations on the basis that it is deemed to have been claimed and is in payment. If for some reason that it wasn't claimed then that is entirely the choice of the person concerned. They say that you cannot choose between having Pension Credit over claiming the State Pension.

The pension is there for the claiming and it is assumed that such a claim has been made.

And yes, they were right, you can only backdate a State Pension claim for 12 months. The other 8 years have now been lost and cannot be paid. 'Complaining now about money that she was entitled to but didn't claim is down to her and nobody else!'

Most Interesting thread, and food for thought thank you

A quick question, I currently receive guaranteed Pension Credit, and in a years time I am eligle for State Pension, is it best to consult PensionService nearer the date for best option or??

From what I have managed to get out of the Pension Service is that they will write to you (here's hoping that the letter is delivered!) about 3 months before the pension is due to be paid. It is then up to you as to whether you want to claim it or not. Whatever you do, the Guaranteed Pension Credit will be revised from when the pension is payable on the basis that you are receiving it. If you choose not to claim it not only will you have a reduced Guaranteed Pension credit award but if the pension remains unclaimed after 12 months you will lose it altogether - you can only get 12 months backdated. So if you feel generous towards the government and want your pension to go to a better home, don't bother claiming it!!

It seems that up until 2010, if you put off claiming your pension you could get it enhanced when you did claim it - that was stopped. Now it is as simple as claim it or lose it!

We will never know how many people do actually lose out in this way but I know one that has in a rather big way - £25,000!! I didn't realise that you don't get your state pension if you fail to ask for it. I thought that it was paid automatically on reaching retirement age. I wonder how many others think the same?

• Confused 1