Housing Benefit - Worried sick

nortel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3854 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im hoping someone can give me some advice on this please. Its really getting to me and Im at my wits end at the moment.

Here goes.

Up until 2011 I had a really good job, never claimed any benefits. Come November 2011 I was made redundant, but luckily got a new job two days later (on about half the pay). We lived on the wage from the new job and the redundancy for about a year (used it to repay debts etc).

My new job was with an agency. During February 2013 the company who used the agency said they were not going to renew my contract, but offered me a permanent job starting 1st March 2013 (on slightly more money). The HB and CTB payments continued. Fast forward to April 2013. The company I worked for lost their bid to extend their contract with a national company they worked for. The work was awarded to another company. I was transfered to the new company via TUPE (Wages unchanged), Now this company is undergoing a restructuring plan, and I am uncertain whether there will be a position for me.

Whilst looking at my finances this week I realised I had never told the council about the increase in wage back in April. It just didnt register with me at the time due to all the stuff that was happenig at work and the threat of being made redundant twice in the space of 4 months.

Llke I said I just dont know what to do. I know I should contact the council and tell them but im so scared of what the result will be I just cant pluck up the courage to do it. Its really starting to affect me now, Im not eating, not sleeping and Im being physically sick at the thought of what might happen.

Can anyone help please?

Just write to the council and say that your job changed during an uncertain time and you have just realised that you forgot to inform the council of your change in income. State the changes in income and ask them to let them know how much you need to repay so that you can work out repayment terms.

All will be well.

IMHO, the sooner you advise them of this error the less hassle it will cause.

I am sure others will look in during the day to offer help based on experience and knowledge :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just write to the council and say that your job changed during an uncertain time and you have just realised that you forgot to inform the council of your change in income. State the changes in income and ask them to let them know how much you need to repay so that you can work out repayment terms.

All will be well.

Thanks for your reply.. I know i need to do it, im just really frightened about prosecution etc.

What must be done must be done. Just pick up that phone and be done with it, and then follow the call up with a letter. As soon as you come off the phone, a weight will have lifted from your shoulders. You can look at it like this - 10 minute phone call plus one letter, = rest of life not worrying about it!

I know all about peculiar behaviours like this when in a state, don't make sense do it really? Just do it, and afterwards you will laugh at yourself. They won't prosecute you for this, you are being honest with them.

Post back in a minute when you've done it. X

• Haha 1

Get in touch with your council before they get in touch with you so your debt won't mount up more, just explain the situation, also work out an income and expediture on how much you can afford to pay them back for the money owed, they cannot make you pay back with what you can't afford!

Sit down work out your financial situation and what you can afford to pay them then get in touch as soon as possible and make an offer toward the debt, you'll be more in control with your financial and they can see you have taken the initiative to work out what you owe them and will accept your offer and your story!

wishing you luck with it all but don't worry just get in touch!

In respect of Helen's response above - I have attached an Income & expenditure form for you - it calculates for you :)

Ellens Budget Sheet.xls

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Another things make sure you keep a copy of your income and expenditure list when you've filled it all in, it's very important as you may found you'll be asked that several times or may be asked to supply a new one, all the information would be there already, makes your life easier without having to think what you've put on the form before!

You will only find out by making that call... I personally don't believe they will prosecute you. What we talking about, 16 - 20 weeks overpayment? And you are informing them, just say you've had an awful lot of job worries or other stress and you are so sorry for overlooking it. Please could they put it all right for you and let you know what you owe, they'll be quite good about a payment arrangement.

Anyway, I'm waiting and I can wait all day..... (drums finger nails on coffee table!) and if you don't get a move on the Council offices will close and then you'll have to worry all day tomorrow as well.

I know what this feels like, recently I was too scared to make a phone call, but it was all pie in the sky in the end. And I felt a whole lot better once it was done.

And so, your next post will be .....I've done it and now I feel better! Bless you. X

Benefit cheats rarely go to them saying they forgot to inform of a pay rise, I would forget about prosecution.

To prosecute someone, they need to be able to prove they intentionally tried to hide a change in circumstances. If you didn't go to them & explain it, & waited for them to contact you, which is pretty much certain to happen these days by the way, well....

• 2 months later...
can you advise of the outcome please i have the same problem :(

As the last post was in August, I doubt you might get a response from the OP, can you tell us a bit more about your circumstances perhaps we can help better. Please don't worry the ladies and gents here are very helpful.

Hi I recently discovered that I have been overpaid hb fom may Til November as I forgot to advise that my wages had increased by approx 7.50 per week I have told my local council of this they haven't noticed and I have offered to pay any overpayment back in full I'm just scared that after reason posts on here that I will be prosecuted etc when I haven't deliberately meant to not notify them it just slippe my mind and as soon as I discovered I notified them straight away I also asked for my claim to be suspended I'm just so sick with worry tht they may think this was fraudulant :(

Hi I recently discovered that I have been overpaid hb fom may Til November as I forgot to advise that my wages had increased by approx 7.50 per week I have told my local council of this they haven't noticed and I have offered to pay any overpayment back in full I'm just scared that after reason posts on here that I will be prosecuted etc when I haven't deliberately meant to not notify them it just slippe my mind and as soon as I discovered I notified them straight away I also asked for my claim to be suspended I'm just so sick with worry tht they may think this was fraudulant :(

You've said you have told your local council of that over payment, did you write to them and tell them or did you phone? If you have told them either by phone or by letter they should have a record of it and please when ever you get in touch with your council always, always make notes of everything if by letter make a copy of your letter before you send it to them, like that you will have a record of what you've done. As you are cooperating with your council I can assure you, you will not be prosecuted, especially you've offered to pay back the over payment in full.

All you need to do in future please let them know of any changes in your circumstances as soon as possible. Write a letter and enclose a cheque of money you owe in full and just tell them the dates of over payment and assure them if your circumstances changed you will notify them as soon as possible. You will not have any problem from your council, people only get prosecuted when they do not tell the council anything and carries on frauding, the council try not to go down that route because it does cost them money and manpower, if it can be avoided then they will do nothing.

Hope this helps and put your mind at rest.

Have a good relaxed weekend

:)

What do you mean they haven't noticed? did your council write and told you about the overpayment?

Why did you ask for your claim to be suspended? Is that your housing benefit claim?

What do you mean they haven't noticed? did your council write and told you about the overpayment?

Why did you ask for your claim to be suspended? Is that your housing benefit claim?

I'm the one that noticed I was being overpaid so I told them and asked for my claim to be suspended while they work out the overpayment x