barclaycard debt sold to Lowell - chasing BC debt

Hacked_Off
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3618 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the 1.3k is the total amount of charges they have taken from you and the interest on them right up to date. This is working on the basis of interest in restitution which many others have been successful in getting back from BC.

The £700 was simply an exercise we carried out to make sure that the default was made up purely of charges at the time it was issued and that being the case it makes the default invalid. Accordingly we can require the default to be removed as part of the claim.

Edited by ims21

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried chasing up the FOS about the default as it was part of the complaint I lodged about the charges.

They're telling me I will need to complain again.

I argued hang one why are you choosing to ignore part of my complaint and telling me to do it again.

I've now come to the conclusion the FOS are completely incompetent and not worth the effort of dialling their number!!

Barclaycard have also chosen to ignore all communications from me.

Could anyone help me with the POC I will be filling (hopefully) tomorrow.

Thanks muchly

I will flag your S.O.S for those on the Site team, HO.. however, I think those that might be able to advise are not online at the moment.

:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi HO,

See this post here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?383637-Lowells-Barclaycard&p=4294284&viewfull=1#post4294284

I advise that you read through BC *WON* threads here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?97-Barclays-BCard-and-Woolwich-successes

Also see TrancyB's BC thread here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?368541-trancyb-vs-Barclaycard

It's important that you include mention in your PoC about :-

1. Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue Commissioners if you are claiming Restitutionary compound interest.

2. Kleinwort Benson v Lincoln City Council if you are claiming charges older than 6 years using s.32(1)© Limitation Act 1980.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've disputed the default with noddle, here's their response:

I hope you’re well. I’m just emailing as I’ve heard back from our Disputes Team.

The outcomes of both of your previous disputes were that no changes were permitted by Lowell. They advised us the account has been reviewed by their complaints department and they still believe there is an outstanding balance. Therefore, to resolve this issue, you’ll have to contact Lowell directly.

As we’ve disputed this for your previously, we won’t do so again – please don’t re raise this dispute. As mentioned previously, if you do decide to re raise this dispute, your account will be locked.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Joe

The Noddle Team

I have three emails from Lowell confining the account is closed;

" As outlined in my original response, I can confirm the account has been closed and that this is the last you will hear of the matter from ourselves or any other organisation.

I trust this is satisfactory.

Yours Sincerely,

Robert Hardy

Customer Relations Officer

Lowell Group"

Surely this account showing under open accounts is incorrect??

Also noddle have got shirty and said they will lock my account if I raise anymore disputes, despite them agreeing to all my disputes apart from this one!!

I think you should go straight to the ICO to make a complaint. You have given Lowells the opportunity to resolve and they haven't.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

A good few years ago there were allegations made that a DCA had ''lifted'' a signature and ''forged;; an agreement using it, not sure if it was ever proved, I can say in many years of dealing with DCAs and debt problems I have never seen any such happening, if you require information from a company DCA/Creditor a signature will be needed to verify the ID of the person making the enquiry (DPA).

It's like printing your name on a cheque and expecting it to be honoured.

Institutions do just that, with cheques.....

Volvo

Here’s some background reading. RBS and NatWest the culprits, not just some back-street DCA. Two of the victims are regulars here on CAG.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/jul/25/royal-bank-loan-debt

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2008/feb/02/banks.consumeraffairs?guni=Article:in%20body%20link

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1241889/Evidence-grows-banks-lose-loan-contracts-they.html

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/dec/09/natwest-admits-signature-forgery

Unfortunately I can’t locate a copy of the famous Jane Fraser RBS internal memo that admitted the skullduggery.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129418-RBS-becoming-quot-inventive-quot-with-your-documents&p=2072688&viewfull=1#post2072688

Paul Walton had posted in the link above - perhaps he will see this thread and let us see a copy.

The only item I can find is this..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46491[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

I’m sorry to hear you’ve received conflicting information from Lowell and appreciate it must be a little frustrating.

Unfortunately, as my colleague mentioned, we’re unable to dispute this account any further as Lowell did not give us permission to make any changes to the account.

With this in mind, it might be worth making a formal complaint about Lowell to the Financial Ombudsman. I’ve had a look into this and found their complaints procedure here: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm.

I hope this helps and you’re able to get this resolved soon but do let me know if you need anything else, I’d be happy to help.

Thanks,

Alice

The Noddle Team

how's this for starters:

1. The Claimant has an account XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on 18/04/2005.

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged
    interest
    link3.gif
    on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to
    levy
    link3.gif
    such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Additionally, the Defendant has entered a default notice against the Claimant’s credit reference files. The Claimant contends that:

a) The defendant, as a data controller, is processing inaccurate data and the claimant requests the court makes an order for rectification under s.14 of the Data Protection Act 1998. The defendant has disclosed the claimant's
    personal data
    link3.gif
    to third parties through their data processors of Equifax, Experian ...etc. The processing of data includes disclosing, disseminating and otherwise making available under s.1 of the Data Protection Act. The claimant's obtained from Experian, Equifax etc states that a default marker was placed by the defendant showing that the amount outstanding was £390. Experian, Equifax etc are processing this data on behalf of the defendant by disclosing the data to third parties.

The claimant submits that this data is incorrect as owing to unlawful charges totaling £704.00, a default marker is placed on a credit record where it can be established that the debtor was in serious breach of the credit agreement so that it is shown that the relationship of the creditor and debtor has broken down. This is generally where arrears are accrued and the debtor has failed to meet demands for payment. The breach to which the default refers occurred substantially in respect of unlawful charges levied by the Defendant or was the result of impercuniosities caused directly by the taking by the Defendant of penalty charges which were applied unlawfully to the account. The claimant submits that the application of unlawful charges and interest relating to such charges, to the account amounted to £1,397.86. It is thus submitted that the default marker is an inaccurate reflection of the relationship between the creditor and debtor and does not represent a serious breach of the contract. The Defendant has thus disclosed this inaccurate information , contrary to Schedule 1, Part 1,

1. 6. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £264.00 and interest charged thereon of £1,133.86; b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

d) An order under s.14 to rectify incorrect data

Unfortunately, as my colleague mentioned, we’re unable to dispute this account any further as Lowell did not give us permission to make any changes to the account.

Alice

The Noddle Team

Hmm, that would irritate me!!! Dear Alice, when did I give you my permission to allow Lowlifes to add incorrect data to MY credit files??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

FOR challenges to CRA data a complaint to the ICO is the way forward.

'Alice' is correct Noddle (call credit which is where Noddles data is sourced) cannot amend or remove data without permission of the company which placed the entry.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

From the ico:

In your case, the matters you have raised that are relevant to the DPA relate to the fourth data protection principle, that says:

“Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date”

You are concerned that BB are processing details on your credit file which are inaccurate, and you have asked BB to remove these details. But this has yet to be carried out.

Our decision

We have now written to BB, and received its response. In this case we have decided that it is unlikely that Barclays Bank Plc has complied with the requirements of the DPA.

This is because we have not been swayed by the arguments presented by BB that it is not reporting to credit reference agencies (CRA), on your account. We believe that on the balance of probability, the account that is being reported to credit reference agencies, is a BB account.

For this reason we believe that BB is likely to be in breach of the fourth principle of the DPA.

You produced an extract from your credit report dated 1 December 2012. Although this was of poor quality, we were able to decipher that Barclays Bank Plc has placed an entry for a defaulted account ending in x. It is in the sum of £232.00. With a default date of 16 January 2007.

You say that this account was settled in full some years ago and should not show on your credit file as a default.

BBs investigations have found that you did have an account with BB, x. BB says that the account was passed to recoveries in February 2007. With a balance of £232.45. But that in October 2007 the account was paid in full by you and closed. BB says that no further reporting on this account was carried out. BB suggested that I contact Barclaycard about your credit card account number ending in x . As it

could only presume that it was Barclaycard that was reporting to CRAs. I contacted Barclaycard and it confirmed that you did have a credit card with Barclaycard, but that the balance outstanding was £390.37 when it was sold to Lowells in June 2011. Barclaycard confirmed that it was not reporting to CRAs on your account.

However, Barclaycard has agreed for you to submit an up to date credit report to it, and it will carry out further investigations for you. Your upto date credit report should be sent to Barclaycard, FAO Richard Brameld, Senior Privacy & Data Protection Manager, 1234 Pavillion Drive, Northampton, NN4 7SG. Quoting reference x Its fax number is 01604 254150.

Your other options are to make a complaint directly to BB with the assistance of this compliance unlikely assessment and ask that it removes the entry for you.

Make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Or, finally, make an application to Court to have this inaccurate data removed.

Unfortunately, although we have made a compliance unlikely assessment in your case, the ICO does not have the necessary powers to force BB to correct this situation.

Having carefully considered all the facts of this case, we have decided that formal regulatory action is not required in this case at this time. However, you should be aware that we keep a record of all assessment decisions and will take these into account if we receive further complaints about BB. The information we gather from complaints may form the basis for regulatory action in the future.

When deciding whether regulatory action is appropriate, we take into account the organisation’s general record of compliance with the DPA (including any previous assessments we have made) and any other information that is in our possession (including information given during the course of those assessments).

Next steps

Most organisations will want to put things right when they have gone wrong and learn from complaints that are raised with them. Although we are not considering further action at this time, we have asked BB to consider the information we have provided during the course of this

assessment and take steps to prevent the situation from happening again.

We keep a record of all assessment decisions and will take these into account if we receive further complaints about BB. The information we gather from complaints may form the basis for regulatory action in the future.

Yours sincerely

Karen Rodrigues

Case Officer – Complaints Resolution

Direct dial number 01625 545565

Enclosed: ‘Important information for individuals’