• Tweets

• Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter. Since my last post I have received a reply from Plymouth Council Insurance Team concerning my wife’s accident (please see enclosed letter and photo of the offending Badminton post) which they deny any responsibility for the said accident. I feel that the Council is in breach of their statutory duties under the following acts: The Leisure Centre was negligent in its duty of care and therefore, in breach of the statutory duty owed under section 2 of the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1957. Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (the Act) to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees, and others who might be affected by its undertaking, e.g. members of the public visiting the Leisure Centre to use the facilities. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 that requires employers to assess risks (including slip and trip risks) and, where necessary, take action to address them. The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) require the risk to people’s health and safety from equipment that is used at a Leisure Centre be prevented or controlled. I would like some advice to see if my assumptions are correct and my approach to obtaining satisfactory outcome to this matter are accurate. Many thanks   PLM23000150 - Copy Correspondence.pdf post docx.docx
    • Talking to them does not reset the time limit, although they will probably tell you it does, they'd be lying. Dumbdales are the in-house sols for Lowlife, just the next desk along. If Lowlifes were corresponding with you at your current address then Dumbdales know your address. However, knowing that they are lower than a snake's belly, you would be well advised to send them a letter, informing them of your current address and nothing else. Get 'proof of posting' which is free from the PO counter, don't sign it, simply type your name. That way then they have absolutely no excuse for attempting a back door CCJ.   P.S. Best course of action, IGNORE them, until or unless you get a claim form......you won't.
    • A 'signed for' Letter of Claim has been sent today so they have 14 days from tomorrow... Lets wait and see what happens but i suspect judging by their attitude they wont reply 
    • I am extremely apprehensive about burning our files.... I do not know why, so it is becoming an endless feedback loop. Scared to pull the trigger to speak in the desire not to mess up my file. 
    • Hi All, So brief outline. I have Natwest CC debt £8k last payment i made was 7th November 2018 Not a penny since. So coming up to the 6 year mark. Can't remember when i took out the  credit card would be a few years before everythign hit the fan. Moved house 2020 - updated NatWest as I still have a current account with them. Then Lowells took over from Moorcroft and were writing to me at my current address. I did get a family member to speak to them 3 years ago regarding the debt explained although it may be in my name I didn't rack it up then went contact again. 29th may received an email from overdales saying they were now managing the debt. I have not had any letter yet which i thought is odd?  Couple of questions 1. Does my family member speaking to lowell restart statute barred clock? 2. Do you think overdales aren't writing to me because they will back door CCJ to old address even though Lowells have contacted me at current address never at previous? ( have no proof though stupidly binned all letters  ) Should I write to them and confirm my address just incase? Does this restart statute barred clock? 3. what do you think best course of action is?   Any help/advice is appreciated I am aware they may ramp up the process now due to 7th December being the 6 year mark.   Many Thanks in advance! The threads on here have been super helpful to read.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I desperately need help with wescot dca chasing me for an overdraft debt

angieby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I havent posted on here before so please bear with me .

I owned my own fashion store which closed 2 1/2 years ago leaving various debts which are pretty much cleared .

Now after all this time I have received communications from a company called wescot credit servcies ltd .

They are chasing an overdraft I had on my Natwest business account of £5000 ,

I had not heard from Natwest since my shop closed so I figured the debt was liable with the business rather than me.

I was not a limited company so initially could not understand why natwest didnt chase me up?

I am now unemployed and caring for my dad & 3 daughters struggling to make ends meet.

I have received 2 letters from wescot asking for immediate payment of the 5k!

I have ignored both letters but I am now very worried as the second letter threatens a door step collector and/or court proc

eedings.

They havn't tried to call me although I am expecting this as I guess Natwest will have a record of my home phone number.

What do I say if they do?

can anyone please advise me what to do next?

If you need anymore info please ask.

Thank you so much for reading

doorstep collectors have no powers make sure you wash the doorstep down ready for collection:-)

i expect the letter will say MAY and IF

it is probably hot air

what you want to avoid is having a CCJ against you

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

If they ring 'laugh' & hang up.

Wetcloths, as with all the other DCA's, have NO LEGAL powers to do anything, least of all send anyone to your address to con you out of money.

Did NW inform you they were passing it over to their tame DCA to collect?

Did wetcloths inform you they had been assigned to collect this on behalf of NW?

Check your credit file, see if this shows on their.

Stay OFF the phone, if they ring laugh and hang up, keep a diary of events.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

So, there has been no communication from Nat West regarding this debt - and Wesclott appear with the threats almost immediately ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thank you for getting back to me 'I hate bailiffs' - Me too!

how can I avoid a ccj?

I really cannot afford to pay this back.

What should my next course of action be?

I dont really want to call them.

If I send a letter what should I be asking?

I have seen a lot on here about debt collector chasing loans etc but not overdrafts is an overdraft an enforcable debt?

I dont remember signing a a credit agreement?

Thanks

what you want to avoid is having a CCJ against you

Which is unlikely and can be defended.

You also might want to avoid stepping in front of a bus?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

citizenb -when my shop closed 2 1/2 years ago natwest called me at the time I was asked to fill a form in which basically proved I had more liabilities going out than income coming in! I never heard from them again . till now with Wescot claiming to be acting on behalf of natwest retail.

still possible

didn't think GAG was about debt avoidance

It isn't, but I fail to see how that statement was constructive, that was all.

A CCJ for an overdraft is very unlikely, and is clearly not going to happen as the bank wouldn't have waited three years.

thanks bazooka boo

-I dont think much of it is fees to be honest .

I was about up to my maximum of 5K and the debt they are chasing is 5.2k .

Thanks Jogs

- If I ignore everything till I get court papers what happens then?

Will the court insist I pay it all at once or bailiffs etc ?

Thanks guys I really appreciate this advice

- I have been losing a lot of sleep over this

Don't worry about court, and as for bailiffs that's not going to happen.

For bailiffs to appear, you first have to be taken to court (unlikely) the bank then has to win and obtain a CCJ against you, you then have to fail to make payment on that, they then have to go back to court and convince the judge that the best way to collect this would be via bailiffs.

Check your credit file first, then come back.

hi yes this was a business account overdraft . I guess I did guarantee it - not too sure? my letters from wescot only say my first name then my old shop name? although coming to my home address.

I will check my credit file tonight and post my findings! Thank you all

no it will not be added on there now as it should of been on there from the onset of the account .this make's me think it was bussiness account and not personal as it does not show on your CRA. people with more knolgede than me will help with this one i'm sure

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

Was your business set up with the bank as a sole trader ie "your name t/a company name"? or in just the company name? or was it a ltd compay?

were any of the transactions making up the overdraft balance processed after your business closed? have Natwest applied any charges or interest after you informed them of the business closure?

hi

as far as i can remember the business account was my name t/a my shop name.

I informed Natwest of business closure after a couple of months.

My hope originally was to try and clear off bit by bit but all i was managing to do was keep up with interest .

When i informed them of closure they froze the account and asked me to fill a form showing my income and expenditure which as I said earlier showed i had more going out then coming in.

After that i didnt hear anything till the letters from wescot saying they are acting on behalf of natwest retail?

Thanks for helping me with this its much appreciated.

angie, have wescloth suggested that they are the new owner of the account - eg have NW sold / assigned it to them ? Or are they merely acting as collection agent?

Suggest you first of all send them a request to qualify what right they have to pursue you. Amend the letter below and send to them.

Draft request for assignment - Amended Draft.doc

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Are you able to scan in and post up documents? If so, follow the instructions below and let us see the letter from wescloths..

Make sure you edit out any personal information before posting.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

I have also asked for more input from others for you.

BCOBS

If Wescott are merely assigned to collect on behalf of the account on behalf of the bank they cannot start court action without the consent of the bank.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You might also want to send a Subject Access Request to the original creditor in order to obtain as much information that you can regarding this.

You will find a draft letter in the CAG library and the request will cost you £10.00 - the bank has 40 calendar days to comply with the request.

You require ALL data on ALL accounts that you hold/held with them.

BCOBS

Please see the following..

If you have queries regarding the advice below, please ask.

the "possible challenge re s140 is an "unfairness challenge"

If you obtain all the statements as part of the SAR request, then we can further advise how to make an attempt at getting any charges back.

Would need to do it through FOS I think.

If she hasnt got statements then should do full SAR.

If a sole trader or partnerships banks always put the accounts in ind names usually T/A xxxxxxxx

Poss a challenge under s140 ?

Dont think NW will have sold the account-like RBS they normally keep them.

SAR then and a letter to Wescot informing them that there is a dispute -I bet a lot of the 5k is charge related.

In any case,as OP is in hardship Wescot have to follow guidelines.

Perhaps sending an I&E sheet might be a good idea also.OP can demand all comms kept in writing and make it clear dont want to be visited.

As long as they are responding to comms then have a right to demand this.

BCOBS