amazon - 3rd party faulty headphones

LTKY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a pair of expensive noise cancelling headphones from a 3rd party via Amazon at the end of January 2012, delivered in February.

About two days ago one of the headphones suddenly stopped playing while listening to music, in what seems to be an internal electrical fault (cracking sound, swapped cables same thing).

The headphones came with a hard case, they have been treated with a lot of respect and never dropped which can be easily observed by looking at the product. I wrote to the seller through amazon and told them the problem is clearly a failure of the product and not a result of misuse, so I would like to assess my options of getting a replacement.

They supported it has been over 6 months I am using the product and there is nothing they can do. They suggested to try asking amazon for a replacement. Now all this sounds rubbish to me. The product broke down after 6 months of use...well, I expect headphones to last a bit longer than that!

Before contacting amazon I wanted to understand better their role as an intermediary and my rights with SOGA?

Also, the manufacturer appears to offer two year warranty with their products in the EU. However I have had some bad experiences going directly to manufacturers before and want to see my options with the retailer first.

What are my options here?

thanks

Hi ltky

Have a read of 12 and 13 in my signature.

The 'retailer' is responsible, Amazon are not responsible.

How did you pay? If you paid by Credit Card or Visa Debit?, contact your card provider ask to do a 'Chargeback'.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-debit-cards/

12) SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE

Hi rebel11, thanks for the information.

Do I have to prove that the goods were "inherently faulty" and how to do this?

In terms of the chargeback, do I have to return the goods as "faulty" to the seller first?

What in your opinion would be the quickest way of resolving this?

Is it worth complaining to amazon about the retailer and see if they can intervene. If I understand correctly amazon operate as a "vehicle" in this case, but they should have some sort of control over the retailer's sales on their website.

thanks again

Hi rebel11, thanks for the information.

Do I have to prove that the goods were "inherently faulty" and how to do this? You could get an independent report, but it isn't going to help at this stage as the retailer doesn't want to know.

In terms of the chargeback, do I have to return the goods as "faulty" to the seller first? I think deadline has passed to do a Chargeback.

What in your opinion would be the quickest way of resolving this? Get an address and e-mail address for the retailer, you might have to ask Amazon for that info. If they've got an independent website outside of Amazon that might help track down their address

Is it worth complaining to amazon about the retailer and see if they can intervene. If I understand correctly amazon operate as a "vehicle" in this case, but they should have some sort of control over the retailer's sales on their website. Amazon won't help, although they really should.

thanks again

• 1 month later...

The retailer insisted they don't have the product anymore and that I need to take this through Amazon for a refund or replacement.

Amazon responded quickly suggesting I should first try to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they can help, otherwise they would look into a refund.

To make the long story short, I had already been in touch with the manufacturer as I wanted the headphones replaced and not a rigmarole of communications. Due to a 2 year warranty on the product I sent them back with an RMA and had a new pair back about a week later.

It shouldn't have to be this way as far as I understand SOGA.

• 11 months later...

Lucky you. I bought a tablet computer from George and Freddie via Amazon and after four months the backlight failed. They refused to deal with me and told me it was the manufacturers fault. The manuacturer said that the SOG Act meant that George and Freddie were liable and also that they would not help other than to confirm that the item had a hardware fault.

When informed of their duty under English law George and Freddie continued to refuse to accept the faulty tablet back or repair/ refund me. Amazon were also less than helpful other than confirming that George and Freddie were liable. Both George and Freddie and Storage Solutions confirm that the one year guarantee is valid and in date. I have e-mailed CAB today but do not hold out much hope as it is now six months since I bought the tablet. I am only hoping that my shaming George and Freddie will warn other potential buyers. Amazon rather sickly refuse to remove my positive feedback on their site for this company.

Finally, what good is it to have a consumer protection law if UK based companies can choose to ignore it?

Also, no contact address is given on George and Freddies Amazon webpage (is this allowed?) I hunted them down on the internet to Stoke-on-Trent just in case there are any other George and Freddie companies that do abide by English law.

The retailer insisted they don't have the product anymore and that I need to take this through Amazon for a refund or replacement.

Amazon responded quickly suggesting I should first try to get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they can help, otherwise they would look into a refund.

To make the long story short, I had already been in touch with the manufacturer as I wanted the headphones replaced and not a rigmarole of communications. Due to a 2 year warranty on the product I sent them back with an RMA and had a new pair back about a week later.

It shouldn't have to be this way as far as I understand SOGA.