• Tweets

• The Contract itself The airport is actually owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. There should be an authority from them for Bristol airport group  to sign on their behalf. Without it the contract is invalid. The contract has so many  clauses redacted that it is questionable as to its fairness with regard to the Defendants ability to receive a fair trial. In the case of WH Holding Ltd, West Ham United Football Club Ltd -v- E20 Stadium LLP [2018],  In reaching its decision, the Court gave a clear warning to parties involved in litigation: ‘given the difficulties and suspicions to which extensive redaction inevitably gives rise, parties who decide to adopt such an appropriate in disclosure must take enhanced care to ensure that such redactions are accurately made, and must be prepared to suffer costs consequences if they are not’. The contract is also invalid as the signatories are required to have their signatures cosigned by independent witnesses. There is obviously a question of the date of the signatures not being signed until 16 days after the start of the contract. There is a question too about the photographs. They are supposed to be contemporaneous not taken several months before when the signage may have been different or have moved or damaged since then. The DEfendant respectfully asks the Court therefore to treat the contract as invalid or void. With no contract there can be no breach. Indeed even were the contract regarded as valid there would be no breach It is hard to understand why this case was brought to Court as there appears to be no reasonable cause to apply to the DVLA.............
    • Danny - point taken about the blue paragraphs.  Including them doesn't harm your case in any way.  It makes no odds.  It's just that over the years we've had judges often remarking on how concise & clear Caggers' WSs have been compared to the Encyclopaedia Britannica-length rubbish that the PPCs send, so I always have a slight preference to cut out anything necessary. Don't send off the WS straight away .. you have plenty of time ... and let's just say that LFI is the Contract King so give him a couple of days to look through it with a fine-tooth comb.
    • Do you have broadband at home? A permanent move to e.g. Sky Glass may not fit with your desire to keep your digibox,, but can you move the items you most want off the digibox? If so, Sky Glass might suit you. You might ask Sky to loan you a “puck” and provide access as an interim measure. another option might be using Sky Go, at least short term, to give you access to some of the Sky programming while awaiting the dish being sorted.
    • £85PCM to sky, what!! why are you paying so much, what did you watch on sky thats not on freeview?  
    • Between yourself and Dave you have produced a very good WS. However if you were to do a harder hitting WS it may be that VCS would be more likely to cancel prior to a hearing. The Contract . VCS [Jake Burgess?] are trying to conflate parking in a car park to driving along a road in order to defend the indefensible. It is well known that "NO Stopping " cannot form a contract as it is prohibitory. VCS know that well as they lose time and again in Court when claiming it is contractual. By mixing up parking with driving they hope to deflect from the fact trying to claim that No Stopping is contractual is tantamount to perjury. No wonder mr Burgess doesn't want to appear in Court. Conflation also disguises the fact that while parking in a car park for a period of time can be interpreted as the acceptance of the contract that is not the case while driving down a road. The Defendant was going to the airport so it is ludicrous to suggest that driving by a No Stopping  sign is tacitly accepting  the  contract -especially as no contract is even being offered. And even if a motorist did not wish to be bound by the so called contract what could they do? Forfeit their flight and still have to stop their car to turn around? Put like that the whole scenario posed by Mr Burgess that the Defendant accepted the contract by driving past the sign is absolutely absurd and indefensible. I certainly would not want to appear in Court defending that statement either. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I will do the contract itself later.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mother-in-law with dementia could be kicked out by private landlord?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have a query. MIL lives with us in AST property. She lives in an annex room. Her name is on the tenancy agreement, but she did not sign it (my husband and I did), as she separately and verbally agreed with the LL (she is 89) that she could stay here until her death or needing to leave the property for health reasons). She contributes to the rent.

We received (just me and husband) a Section 21 notice, giving us eight weeks to move. They put her name on the Notice, but it was not addressed to her. And she did not sign the tenancy agreement. I think the LL thinks it unneccesary to give her a notice of any kind and she will just move with us.

The trouble is, since we moved here 2 years ago her mental condition has deteriorated although we know she does not want to move. Her carers who come twice a day, etc, are known to her. If we moved it would be very detrimental. We are prepared to fight her corner and stay here under the conditions she agreed with the LL, but she is not mentally capable of representing herself. Can we do this on her behalf?

As she didn't sign the AST she can't be served a S21 notice anyway and therefore it would come down to what they agreed. The LL will, needless to say, lie. We live in the country and the LL wants the house for immigrant farm workers.

She must have some rights with regard to this situation even though she is not able to do anything herself.

Grateful for any advice!

We have a Shelter representative on the forums. I will send them an S.O.S. to see if they can advise. It might not be until tomorrow that you receive a response. Although others on the forums might also be able to advise.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Guest jamesatshelter

Hi Katie,

I work for Shelter, the housing charity.

This sounds like quite a complex case from a legal perspective.

You can get comprehensive advice from Shelter either by calling our helpline on 0808 800 4444.

If there is a Shelter advice centre near you, you can get face to face advice - check the Shelter website for locations.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I can't give you detailed advice myself but you need to talk to someone who is fully trained to give advice - I just know the basics.

Good luck

Thank you for looking in James.

Katie, please keep us updated if you can :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello,

I have a query. MIL lives with us in AST property. She lives in an annex room. Her name is on the tenancy agreement, but she did not sign it (my husband and I did), as she separately and verbally agreed with the LL (she is 89) that she could stay here until her death or needing to leave the property for health reasons). She contributes to the rent.

We received (just me and husband) a Section 21 notice, giving us eight weeks to move. They put her name on the Notice, but it was not addressed to her. And she did not sign the tenancy agreement. I think the LL thinks it unnecessary to give her a notice of any kind and she will just move with us.

The trouble is, since we moved here 2 years ago her mental condition has deteriorated although we know she does not want to move. Her carers who come twice a day, etc, are known to her. If we moved it would be very detrimental. We are prepared to fight her corner and stay here under the conditions she agreed with the LL, but she is not mentally capable of representing herself. Can we do this on her behalf?

As she didn't sign the AST she can't be served a S21 notice anyway and therefore it would come down to what they agreed. The LL will, needless to say, lie. We live in the country and the LL wants the house for immigrant farm workers.

She must have some rights with regard to this situation even though she is not able to do anything herself.

Grateful for any advice!

You dont have to move out in 8 weeks just because of a s21 been issued,it's going to take a lot long for the LL to get his property back

After 8 week LL has to apply for possession order,even then after that LL has to get warrant and bailiff to evict tenants legal,so your talking about 3 or 4 months maybe longer before you have to move out

Is the deposit you paid protected and what are the dates on tenancy agreement when did it start end so on,need to know theses details so people can further advise you on this forum and help you with your mother as well...

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Unless LL granted MiL an individual TA for self-contained annexe, granting her lifetime occupation, I fear this 'annexe' may be part of your demised premise. As such MiL would not have to appear as T on your AST, so not entitled to receive Notice.

You do not indicate whether MiL is paying rent direct to LL or contributing to your costs (lodger)

Hi, thanks for your replies. This is a tricky situation for us. Some Romanian farm workers have arrived (our house faces the farm yard, the only residential house on the farmers private land, so there are no other neighbours who can see this) and they are living in a caravan just outside our front gate. We have three small children and these people are a little intimidating. We guess he plans to move them into the house when we are gone. My husband took the bin out the other night, at 10pm and one of them, in a baseball hat and with a scarf over his face (in a village at night!) heard the sound and quietly followed him. H turned round suddenly and there was this man just watching him.

Anyway, to answer the question, MIL's annexe is part of the house, there is no question about that. However, she is named on the AST as a Tenant. But she did not sign it. She paids rent direct to the LL via cash straight into his account. So she is not a lodger.

Regarding the Notice, it is incorrect. The date is correct but after the first six months it turned into a periodic tenancy and they have used a notice for fixed term. We do not plan to tell landlord's agent until the day after expiry of Notice, they would then have to start again, which would give us until 20 Dec. This is only with regard to my husband and myself.

Our other concern is obviously the people at our gate. And what they might do when they find we are not leaving. But that is a different question!

If the farm workers cause any problems, just call the police. The section 21 has to be carried out correctly, otherwise there can be sanctions for the LL.

Hi, thanks for your replies. This is a tricky situation for us. Some Romanian farm workers have arrived (our house faces the farm yard, the only residential house on the farmers private land, so there are no other neighbours who can see this) and they are living in a caravan just outside our front gate. We have three small children and these people are a little intimidating. We guess he plans to move them into the house when we are gone. My husband took the bin out the other night, at 10pm and one of them, in a baseball hat and with a scarf over his face (in a village at night!) heard the sound and quietly followed him. H turned round suddenly and there was this man just watching him.

Anyway, to answer the question, MIL's annexe is part of the house, there is no question about that. However, she is named on the AST as a Tenant. But she did not sign it. She paids rent direct to the LL via cash straight into his account. So she is not a lodger.

Regarding the Notice, it is incorrect. The date is correct but after the first six months it turned into a periodic tenancy and they have used a notice for fixed term. We do not plan to tell landlord's agent until the day after expiry of Notice, they would then have to start again, which would give us until 20 Dec. This is only with regard to my husband and myself.

Our other concern is obviously the people at our gate. And what they might do when they find we are not leaving. But that is a different question!

If MiL is contributing to your rent, and annexe (granny flat) is part of your demised premises, I doubt she has a seperate AST, only an 'understanding' with your LL. As others have stated s21 is not a NTQ. Even if you decided to vacate on expiry, you would be required to give due SPT notice of min 1 month, assuming it is not an agricultural T.

It is poss LL has served a precautionary s21, in the event your MiL dies and you are left renting a property worth more than you need/can afford, with no intent to progress at this time. Have you contacted LL to establish his intentions?

A forced eviction could take 2-3 months from exp of s21.

Your Romanian neighbours are just that, They may smell a funny colour, but they may be seasonal workers with no interest in renting your property.

If it does go to court, you need to defend and stae the circumstances and you could also use section 8 of HRA; which I understand is still being considered by the appeals court and this defence will not be ruled on until that is resloved. So I suspect a judge will not grant repossession at this point.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have am update. I haven't brought up the question of my mother-in-law yet with the agent, as I was waiting to let them know that the Section 21 notice they served us was incorrect. I wrote to them the other day, but the agent says he has been advised by three solicitors that the incorrect notice is just an anomoly and they will go to court for a possession order, but also, just in case, they will reissue the correct notice. Now I am worried, do judges sometimes let the notice stand, ever when it is invalid?? This is what I wrote:

I write with reference to your Notice requiringpossession dated 17 July 2012 addressed to XXX. Having taken legal advice, we are advisedthat this notice is invalid. Your Noticerequires possession under the Housing Act 1988 Section 21(1)(b), which as youknow is a requirement for fixed term tenancies. Our tenancy agreement has been a rolling contractual periodic tenancysince 19 January 2011 and therefore any notification requesting possessionshould be made under Section 21(4)(a) of the Housing Act 1988. As you are aware, a minimum of two monthsnotice must be given and therefore the earliest date of a request under thisSection of the Act would be 19 December 2012.

You should not have told them about the dates being incoreect as that would have been your defence! and still can be of course, but they have the heads up notice now and can redraft it, You just dont know how a judge will react, but suspect he will not prejudice your point and grant you plenty of time anyway even if he allows the notice to stand.

You dont appear to have answered the deposit question, did you pay a deposit and is it protected? if not protected then S21 invaiid.

Also dont forget the section 8 of the HRA as a defence to the interference of the court in family life.

Hi, thanks for replying. I thought I would tell them about using the wrong section of the housing act because then they might not issue possession proceedings right away and wait almost three months for a new notice to take affect. I was then going to bring up my mother-in-law at that stage. So it is true that judges can allow the notice to stand even if the wrong part of the legislation is cited?

The deposit is protected.

But also my mother-in-law did not sign the AST so the Section 21 notice would be invalid for her anyway. I think.

Section 8 is interesting, I have been looking it up.

As a bit more information, I believe the LL issued the notice in the first place in July one day after he came to the property to fix a tap and I asked, again, for the gas safety certificate and to fix the gas fire (unserviced for two years) and the gas hob. He looked pretty angry and the next day a possession notice was hand delivered. I then got a gas safety engineer myself and he disconnected both the hob and gas fire saying they were unsafe. There have been no gas safety certificates, it turns out.

I am very interested in the connection between retaliatory eviction and the HRA, particularly this:

"It is now settled law that a person at risk of being dispossessed of his home by a public authority (ie a court) should have the right, under article 8 Sch 1 HRA to challenge the proportionality of his eviction and to have it decided by an independent tribunal.

How far this extends to possession claims brought by a private landlord is still to be resolved. The issue was expressly left open in Pinnock, but it is very strongly arguable that article 8 will be applicable, not only because the courtis itself a public authority (HRA 1998 s6) but also because the ECHR has applied article 8 in cases where only private parties were involved:

If article 8 were held to apply to private sector possession claims, as it seems to us that it must be, then it provides the opportunity for a tenant to advance the defence of retaliatory eviction. As the Supreme Court said in Pinnock, the question for the court is always whether the eviction is a proportionate means of achieving alegitimate aim. There can be no legitimate aim in evicting someone for exercising their statutory rights; evicting someone so as to frustrate theexercise of that right is – in our view – always illegitimate."

Apologies for the messy copying and pasting.

Edited by katielovescat
spelling

So MiLs annexe is part of your demised premise, not subject to sep AST.

It is permissable for you to have a close family member staying and contributing to rent. Many LLs accept rent payments from ind occupants toward T rent committment.

LL/Judge may regard MiL as lodger, hence your resp.

If s21 repo order grantes,it applies to all occupants. I doubt HRC s8 will apply to much of UK LL&T legislation, unless by precedent