Holiday Abroad/ESA

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am my mother's main carer and DWP appointee. She is in receipt of IB ESA Support.

I am going abroad for a holiday with my family and considering taking my mother with me, either that, or she will be cared for by my brother in my absence.

Do I have to inform anyone if I take my mother abroad for a holiday?

Thanks, JB

Temporary absences

If you are temporarily in another country, you can continue to receive either contribution-based or income-related ESA for the first four weeks of your absence, as long as you are unlikely to be away for more than 52 weeks.

If you are going abroad temporarily for medical treatment or to accompany a dependent child for their treatment, you may be able to continue receiving ESA for up to 26 weeks while you are away, as long as you are unlikely to be away for more than 52 weeks. The treatment must be directly related to a health condition which began before leaving Great Britain and you must seek permission before you go. If the treatment is for you, it must be for a condition directly related to your limited capability for work.

If you are going abroad temporarily to receive NHS treatment, you can still receive ESA if you continue to meet all the other conditions and you obtain specific permission before you leave.

From - http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/employment-and-support/

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone

I'm back on this same old subject for holidays this year. My mum is on IB ESA and I am her DWP Appointee.

I called the BDC who administers her claim the other day, albeit a call centre, and asked what the procedure is relating to a holiday abroad. The lady told me that if it was longer than 28 days they would need to be informed. She did emphasise that if it was 28 days or less, then I didn't have to inform them.

I have read conflicting advice on this and dont want to do anything wrong. I've taken another look at the link that Nystagmite provided and it still seems relevant.

So, do I need to insist they take details of the holiday, or is it ok not to do anymore as the holiday is within the 28 day time period.

If I do need to complete a form, what information does the form want?

Thanks for any advice.

You are allowed to go on holiday abroad while in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) – whether it is contributory ESA or income-related ESA. The basic rule is the “four-week rule”: you can continue to be entitled to ESA for the first four weeks of a temporary absence from Great Britain (as long as you continue to satisfy the other conditions of entitlement).

my sister has been away from 2 week and 3 week holiday we did not have to inform ESA as it was not over the 28day period so i think you will be ok

as for the form never had to fill one in so cant help you on that one sorry

Thanks nitelite for your reply.

As mentioned before, I have called BDC to tell them but they didn't want to take any details and they said as long as holiday is not longer than 28 days they dont need to know. But ..... I have read on other threads that you do have to insist they take details or send a form. So dont want to get into trouble for any errors DWP may have made by giving me incorrect information, if indeed it is incorrect.

Also what about DLA? Do I need to inform them?

Any further advice would be gratefully received just to put my mind at rest. Thanks.

Basically, an ESA claimant should be OK to leave the country for up to 28 days provided the absence is not expected to last more than 52 weeks. This 28 day period can be for any reason - holiday, medical treatment, visiting friends or whatever.

So there should be no problem. However, if you are concerned, you could call and ask that they make a note on the computer system with the dates of the travel. If you're really concerned, send a letter via a tracked delivery service as a follow up to the call. Again, state the travel dates and that the trip is purely a holiday and will not last any longer than the two weeks or however long it is. This way you'll have proof that you informed them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.