Think I may have been duped??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There only a recommendation of sorts 0730 - 2100 on week days.

There is little to prohibit contact other than the frequency of call

which may be construed as harassment.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

What about weekends? I have had calls from a DCA I think on Sunday mornings!

That is odd if the caller can be ID then it is another report to the OFT.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I will catch the call if they ring this weekend

Do not answer any quetions, but ask who they are!!!

:yo::yo:
I know the drill, have read many threads on this forum and learnt an awful lot, wish I had found this site a lot sooner!

If you have only been employed for 3 weeks HMRC may not have updated their records yet (some cogs turn quite slowly)

treat it with great care but try not to worry too much. Millions have overpaid (and underpaid) it was on the news etc

I had a refund myself (but I wrote to them).

I would not be surprised if you find out that it was just one of many temps employed to deal with this huge clock up

but I repeat stay alert just in case :wink:

Just to update you all, I've spoken to HMRC no one from there has contacted me!!! Surprise surprise!!! Still no email to get my bank details so can only think this has to be a DCA who will now either contact my employer or come to my work place!!!

Im so worried now!! :(

Bess2001

Until someone does contact you then there is little you can do. Let us know if anyone does.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Naughty naughty person - might be the same one who rang my dad 10 times yesterday asking for members of the family to contact them regarding NI repayments. He did his 'doddery old man' trick of leaving the phone off the hook and turning on a noisy old handheld hoover kept for such purposes...

Just to update you all, I've spoken to HMRC no one from there has contacted me!!! Surprise surprise!!! Still no email to get my bank details so can only think this has to be a DCA who will now either contact my employer or come to my work place!!!

Im so worried now!! :(

At least DCAs are easier to be rid of, they have absolutly NO authority whatso ever!!!!

If and when someone does contact you - you can then report them to the OFT for attempting to mislead you :)

So make a note of the date and time they contacted you :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well low and behold sat in work today and some goon from Welcome Finance has phoned me, so this must have been who the call was from as I have never told Welcome where I work!!! Im furious Ive missed my payment on the 8th due to changing jobs and my mobile has been broke!!

Ive just had a warning off my boss for receiving private calls!!

Bess2001

Send the a letter addressed to The Compliance Manager,

Dear Sir Or Madam

Formal Complaint Breach Of OFT Guidance Section 3.3 (k) 3.7 (a) 3.7 (q)

I refer to account number XXXXXXXX and the ongoing dispute on this account,

it has come to my attenrion that an employee of Welcome has made a telephone

call to my place of work this breaches OFT Guidance and has caused me considerable

embarrassment at work and has resulted in my manager to issue a verbal warning

reagrding receiving ''private'' phone calls at work.

You will now cease to use my work telephone number (s) and remove them from your

records (please note this is a demand not a request.

All communication MUST now bw in writting and delivered by Royal Mail, under no

circumstance will text messages, e-mails or any phone communication be tolerated

and if you do not comply I will seek to bring action for harassment against Welcome.

Send recorded delivery.

I've had exactly the same (TWICE!). The first time a well-spoken man phoned me and told me that I had made over-payments on my NI. I was a bit hesitant, but HE gave me all my details (my address, date of birth, employer name and address, etc). It wasn't until a little while later that I realised that I hadn't even paid any NI in the year he mentioned as I wasn't actually working (or claiming anything)!!!!!

Then a couple of weeks ago my mum had a call (sounded like the same chap) who wanted to speak to me (I moved out 20 years ago!), he had all my details, my husbands details (address, date of birth, employment, etc), and also had my sister's details (who still lives at home). We've had different surnames for 20 years! My mum got a bit suspicious and refused to clarify HER address (they had mine) and phoned me.

Following the first call I phoned the NI helpline who said that they had heard of this [problem] and that they would NEVER phone anyone at home. I'm still mystified as to how this guy has all mine and my husband's details. I did wonder if he was from a DCA (we have a few :) ), but I haven't lived at home for 20 years,

For info:

HMRC will never telephone you at home or at work unless you have previously requested that they do so as part of an ongoing query. Their communications are always in writing.

One of their staff may telephone your payroll provider on occasion to clarify employment start dates, whether or not a P46 or P45 from previous employment has been sent to your tax office, etc. but this doesn't happen often. All PAYE and NI details are supplied through payroll or via your normal self-assessment return (if self-employed or with secondary income/investments).

All good advice in this thread and the best thing to do if someone telephones, purporting to be from HMRC is to ask for their telephone number, name, etc. Record time and date of call and report them. You could always ask them to provide your Tax District Reference number - HMRC would know that, but a DCA wouldn't. Don't give them any personal details and ask for all communication to be in writing.

Impersonating HMRC staff is classified as a criminal offence under fraud legislation and carries a VERY hefty fine/custodial sentence, similar to the offence of impersonating a police officer.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-impersonation-of-officials

Best of luck.

H. x

Edited by Halibutt