Council Tax - I am moving out but I did not let the council know I am student

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4406 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So Hello Everyone!:-)

I am a student and I have been living in a 1 bedroom flat for a year and a half. I am now moving out but my landlord wants proofs that I paid all the required bills before releasing my deposit.

I have the electricity,gas,internet and water bill receipts. Since I am a full time university student, I have not been paying the council tax and did not inform the council I was living there. I never received a letter from the council requesting tax payments during this period.

Is it too late to inform the council that I have been living there? Will I be penalised for not informing them although I am exempt from paying the council tax?

Thank you

Vinni

Hi vin

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Hey

It shouldn't really be a problem as when I was a student living in a private flat the council were informed by the landlord and it was verified by University that I was a student, as soon as I ended my studies the council then sent a letter saying I was eligible for council tax. I never heard a thing from them saying I wasn't eligible for council tax during the 2 years I was in there, only when I became eligible did they write to me.

Just check with your council and even if they don't have you listed as a student your university will be able to verifiy the fact you were so I don't see there being any problems for you.

Also, does landlord know you are a student, because if so then he will know you wouldn't have been paying council tax.

Hello moandcubs,

Thank you for your message.

I am not sure whether he knows. The contract for the first 12 months was signed by an Estate agent. But the second contract was signed directly by the owner.

Hello,

In larger University towns the landlords and estate agents notify the council the property is tenanted by students, and then they verify it directly with the University. A notice of some form should have been sent to either you, as the tenant, or the landlord to confirm the property is exempt from council tax as a student household.

If not it should be easy enough for you to get an "exemption certificate" from your University's Registry office, just send that to your Council with a covering letter confirming the start and end dates of your tenancy and that you were/are the sole occupant and everything should be ok.

Hi

I do have to slightly disagree it is not the Landlords or Letting Agencies responsibility unless it states so in your agreement.

Council Tax was your individual responsibility to notify the Council Office that you now were resident at that property unless it states in your agreement.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I do have to slightly disagree it is not the Landlords or Letting Agencies responsibility unless it states so in your agreement.

Council Tax was your individual responsibility to notify the Council Office that you now were resident at that property unless it states in your agreement.

The wording of a tenancy agreement has no bearing on a persons obligations to inform the local authority.