• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DVLA getting sneaky, just got back from court, not happy!

ZENTRIX9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok a bit of backgrounf info.

I sold my car and posted the slip off to the DVLA. I didnt get a receipt in the 4 weeks and didnt contact the.

I got a "Requisition" letter from them and pleaded not guilty and sent it to the Prosecutor at the DVLA, not the court. I was waiting for a reply before the court date as I had informed them in a letter attached with the not guilty plea that I would be on holiday and would not be able to attend. Nothing came and I was found guilty in my absence.

I rang the court when I got back as there was a notice of a fine collection and collection order on the mat. I applied to re-open the case due to the circumstances.

Today was the court date. I waited 3 hours before being called in, I told them that I had posted the letter to the DVLA first class and that I had done what I had been asked. The DVLA rep said it wasnt good enough, I then quoted section 7 of the interpretation act, the clerk then told me that earlier in the day someone else had been found guilty because the court had decided that on the requisition it stated that I had "failed to forthwith DELIVER notification to the secretary of state" and because of the word DELIVER it didnt apply. After a bit of arguing it out and banging my head on a brick wall one of the judges said as it was late he would have to hurry it up as he needed to leave to sort his car out!

So I had 2 choices, adjournment or dont take it further and maybe get the fine reduced from £250!

I have had no wages for 2 years, living on tax credits, I am self employed and havent made a profit in the 2 years, how can I pay a fine!

I asked for it to be adjourned so I could get some advice from some fellow Caggers.

Now I am back at the office I have looked on the back of a V5 and it states "RETURN the page opposite"

I think the DVLA rep had drawn attention away from "RETURN" and focused on the "DELIVER" on the requisition letter so she can get the judges on her side.

Can anybody help as I cant afford a fine.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your defence should/would we The interpretation act 1978 S.7......... you have returned the V5C, it is not tortious upon the sender to ensure receipt is accurately recorded. If posted 1st class it is deemed served at day 2. The DVLA would need to prove to the court that you did not post the document...... yep, pretty hard task - lol

Gez

Absolutely. There is no statutory requirement to send by Recorded Delivery or obtain proof of postage, and once posted, the document is deemed served* by First Class post after 2 days.

*S.7 Interpretation Act 1978

"Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (where the expression 'serve' or the expression 'give' or 'send' or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have been effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post"

You need a witness to having posted the document or swear an affidavit to that effect and that is your defence. Whilst the DVLA may point to the fact that they state that YOU must inform THEM of not receiving an acknowledgement within four weeks, that does not carry any legal weight as there is no power in the Statute which REQUIRES you to do so. They have to PROVE that they did not receive the document.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

That is typical of the DVLA, they cannot prove that you didn't send the document, which is what is required by the the Interpretation Act, so they try their 'you cannot prove it was delivered' argument - there is no requirement to prove it was delivered, they have to prove you didn't send it. As Sidewinder has said, 'serve', 'give', 'send' 'or any other expression', they expect it to be sent by post, they even give a postal address!!!

I assume that the DVLA prosecutor has not supplied a signed statement from the Secretary of State that he has not received delivery of the notification!!

The Secretary of State has a government department to assist him carry out his duties, part of that department is the DVLA at Swansea who maintain the details of vehicles that are registered under the Vehicles Excise & Registration Act 1994, and the recorded keepers of those vehicles.

They supply the registered keeper with a form - V5C - with those details. On that form and on the direct gov.uk website it gives instructions how to deliver notification to the DVLA, on behalf of the Secretary of State, changes to those details.

Those instructions are to send it to the DVLA at Swansea, and they supply a postal address. As they require it to be sent by post, s.7 Interpretation Act 1978 applies and they have to prove that you did not send it, not that you have to prove that it was delivered.

ZENTRIX9,

I agree that the prosecutor appears to be trying to confuse the issue by using the wrong term. However, your original post has anomalies. You refer to the 'slip' (as Pat Davies has noted in post #9) yet you later refer to a V5 (as does P D).

The V5 is a two part document that requires the New Keeper to notify acquisition. It has been replaced by the V5c which does have the 'New Keeper' slip used to retax if required, and identify the vehicle for the new owner. This is not sent to DVLA.

With the V5c the Seller is required to notify the disposal of the vehicle, a change that came about as new owners were failing to register the change in order to avoid various penalties, e.g. speeding fines, parking charges and use in crime. There are still some V5's in existence, mainly where vehicles have been owned by the same person for a number of years or which have been in storage for a long time.

Unfortunately many people refer to the current document by the generic term, which does add confusion when opinion is being sought. Are you able to clarify which document you had and precisely which part you sent to DVLA?

Regards

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

ZENT RIX9,

Sorry if I sound 'picky', but you have again said that you sent the V5 to DVLA, having given the slip to the new keeper. I am sure that you mean that you sent the V5c. Unfortunately it is this sort of 'slip of the tongue' error that a DVLA prosecutor will use to 'muddy' the water when you return to court. As in my previous post, were it a V5, the onus is on the new keeper to send it in.

You mention that you did not ring them after 4 weeks of not having received notification of the cessation of responsibility for the vehicle. THIS IS NOT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT. It is a recommendation only and any mention of it by the prosecutor should be argued against strongly on that basis.

As Ray kay in post #6 points out s.7 Interpretation Act 1978 applies, anything placed in the care of the Royal Mail is deemed delivered. You only need to continue to maintain that you posted it, date and place would be handy, on oath; it is then for the prosecutor to prove that you did not. Provided that you do not lose your temper with the prosecutor trying to call you a liar, sometimes difficult I know, show yourself as a reasonable person of probity and you should succeed.

Remember that you will have the closing argument when you will be able to reiterate that you have complied with the requirements of Section 22 of The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 viz

Change of keeper:

22.—(1) This regulation applies where—

(a)there is a change in the keeper of a vehicle;

(b)a vehicle registration document has been issued in respect of the vehicle in Great Britain on or after 24th March 1997; and

©the new keeper is not a vehicle trader.

(2) The registered keeper of the vehicle—

(a)if the registration document issued in respect of the vehicle is in his possession, shall deliver to the new keeper that part of the document marked as the part which is to be given to the new keeper; and

(b)shall forthwith deliver the remainder of the registration document to the Secretary of State, duly completed to include the following—

(i)the name and address of the new keeper;

(ii)the date on which the vehicle was sold or transferred to the new keeper;

(iii)a declaration signed by the registered keeper that the details given in accordance with paragraph (i) are correct to the best of his knowledge and that the details given in accordance with paragraph (ii) are correct; and

(iv)a declaration signed by the new keeper that the details given in accordance with paragraphs (i) and (ii) are correct.

The above is all you are required to do.

This closing argument should be given from the dock if you were required to stand there (in minor offences the defendant is often permitted to stand where a defence solicitor would be), which differentiates from your giving evidence from the witness box. You cannot be cross examined by the prosecutor, he has had his say!

This opportunity is usually indicated by the presiding magistrate (you said judge in your OP but I suspect that this was at magistrates court, a Judge sitting in the Crown Court would not be 'conned' by the clerk to the court saying that the defence in a previous case had been thrown out so yours should also) asking if you have anything further to add.

Try to be brief but assertive on the point of delivering by the means of posting. The address provided is a postal address. It is not a location whereby you can hand deliver, thus s7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 does apply.

All the best,

Regards

Edited by Gick

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Dear XENTRIX9,

I have sent you a private message with suggested points for when you reappear in court. This is just in case the DVLA are monitoring the forum!

Many thanks Gick, I think that will be very helpfull. I have to reply to the court if I want to take things further or submit a guilty plea before it goes any further. I think my mind is made up now :o)

thanks

Many thanks Gick, I think that will be very helpfull. I have to reply to the court if I want to take things further or submit a guilty plea before it goes any further. I think my mind is made up now :o)

thanks

Hi I am in a similar position. I lost at the magistrates court before I discovered this forum. The DVLA prosecutor managed to convince the non legally trained magistrates he had a case he didnt really have. I appealled and have a date at the crown court this friday. A bit scary but DVLA have recently written to me trying to get me to agree not to appear and have written to the judge with a request to drop the case.

I have not accepted this as I want a clear ruling that might be useful for others and send a clear message to the DVLA to stop misusing the legal system in this way.

Challenge the DVLA and I believe you will win too . I am using interpretation act 1978 and various other defences that I have discovered thanks to contributers to this forum. Best wishes Paul

Hi I am in a similar position. I lost at the magistrates court before I discovered this forum. The DVLA prosecutor managed to convince the non legally trained magistrates he had a case he didnt really have. I appealled and have a date at the crown court this friday. A bit scary but DVLA have recently written to me trying to get me to agree not to appear and have written to the judge with a request to drop the case.

I have not accepted this as I want a clear ruling that might be useful for others and send a clear message to the DVLA to stop misusing the legal system in this way.

Challenge the DVLA and I believe you will win too . I am using interpretation act 1978 and various other defences that I have discovered thanks to contributers to this forum. Best wishes Paul

I really applaud you Paul, for challenging these crooks, I know first hand the DVLA have been acting unlawfully to extort money from innocent members of the public for far too long. I have twice been a victim of their false claims to try to bully me into paying that I have proven to be fraudulent, while their bullying tactics work on so many others, the only response from DVLA is to keep pretending like they're incapable of error - even when it's been proven they have erred. Take it all the way and don't give up for everybody's sake, and keep all results public - make sure as many people know about our victories and their defeats as possible. Write to newspapers, BBC, Sky, etc. to expose them. Their cracks are starting to become more apparent.

Another string to your bow is the Postal Union Act (or something like that...) which makes it very clear that with Royal Mail, unlike the universal postal providers in most other countries, any letter becomes the property of the recipient at the point it is entered into the postal system.

Dear Surfboy,

suggest you visit

DVLA Failure to notify Advice required.

This being the thread started by Paul Kennedy.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Update.

Just got back from court which I had to attend so I could re-open my case. Just before I went in I had a chat with the DVLA so she could speed things up. Went through with it very quickly and told her I had looked into it in detail, that there is no law to make me contact them if I dont get a receipt within a few weeks of posting off. She said ok that would save some time. 15 mins later I went into court. They read through all the details and the magistrates said they would open the case again. Great I thought, then the DVLA lady stood up and said "Case withdrawn". I wanted it to go further so we could get DVLA dragged over the coals and show people their bully tactics dont work but they wont give me the satisfaction. Looks like they really dont want anyone to fight them in court.

Just a note, about 6 people went in to see the DVLA, I was the only one who sat back down, the others left, I can only presume that they agreed to pay a reduced fine which I was offered. Numpties!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just been to magistrates court in Sheffield and thought I would share my experience with you.

I had been summons for failing to notify a change of owner.

When the summons arrived (still trying to get me to pay a fine, sorry penalty first) I filled it out and said

i would plead not guilty.

I did my research on here - s7 Interpretation Act 1978 and a Freedom of Information request that proved they

don't receipt in returned mail.

I arrived at court and all 40 names were for DVLA "offences" but at the start time of 10am there were only 2 of us present.

I was sat outside and this woman in a suit came up and asked me who I was and was I defending myself etc.

She then looked down at her paperwork and said my case had been withdrawn.

I was furious because I wanted my day in court.

I said I was still going in as I was not leaving until someone had paid my costs.

When I went in,the court usher and another guy were in there plus this aforementioned woman.

I asked if the DVLA prosecutor was present and the same woman replied it was her.

(So basically they "interview you" before you go in without telling you they are the prosecution.

I believe she saw my evidence and knew she would lose so she told me it has been withdrawn and I should

have had a letter in the post.

The 2 magistrates entered the room and because I was in there the DVLA woman had to say that she had withdrawn my case.

If that had been true my name would have been removed from the court list beforehand so I don't believe this.

Basically if you turn up to defend they will run a mile but the other 38 didn't bother so would have presumably been

found guilty and fined..........a good money making scaam!!

I asked the magistrate to award me costs and was told they would only pay my travel and not my lost working day.

So all in all, it cost me a days pay but at least they never got my money.

NEVER EVER PAY UP,FIGHT THEM AND THEY WILL BACK DOWN AS THEY CAN'T PROVE YOU NEVER POSTED THE LETTER.