• Tweets

• I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
    • If it doesn’t sell easily : what they can get at an auction becomes fair market price, which may not realise what you are hoping.
    • Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
    • Hungary is attempting to be a world power in manufacturing electric vehicle batteries, despite locals' reservations.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FURTHER STEPS NOTICE - DVLA No Road Tax

mrk1

Hi. 
I have receive a letter titled: 

FURTHER STEPS NOTICE

From West a Yorkshire Collection + Enforcement Centre. 

I was out of the country for 12 days. I have only just got this letter now. It says date 14th Feb. 

What Should I do now?

Who are these West Yorkshire Collection + Enforcement?

It has some kind of. ‘Official’ warrant stamp. You know the one with unicorns and lions. 

Any advice welcome.  

West Yorks Collections & Enforcement Centre - Further Steps Notice.pdf

I got through on phone. 
I explained The letter. 
They have told me it was A fine for unpaid vehicle tax.

Which is bull. This was dealt with years ago.

Don’t know what to do.

it's an £80 no road tax fine.

as you didnt received anything? or did you ?

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Me again.

FURTHER STEPS NOTICE - Amount of around £650.

Total fine was £900+. Includes court fines and fee to dvla.

I got a letter dated 14th Feb 2024. I was out the country from 16th Feb to 1st March. Got the letter on 2nd March.

At first I thought it was a continuation of DWP "OVERPAYMENT" of working tax credit.

I called him and the guy was confused when I blasted him with DWP stuff, he then said this is to do with with vehicle tax none payment.

He did not have much info like dates and anything else.

He did tell me that I have already paid off £200 ish.

Turns out when I was getting Universal Credit 3 years ago that paid for some of it.

I told him I only remember my van being out of tax for 1 month, he said tough, you need to pay.

Unless I go to court and contest it.

Which he worked out will cost me £300 or so if i lose, which let's face it I will as power rests not with me.

I said I would pay £1 a week, he refused, but he did say they would agree to £10 a week, which means I would pay it off years after I have died.

Is there any way I can get out of this now?

As I have already started paying apparently.

He said it was passed to Marstons but I never heard anything off them.

?

West Yorks Collections & Enforcement Centre - Further Steps Notice.pdf

• dx100uk changed the title to FURTHER STEPS NOTICE - DVLA No Road Tax

did you latterly get road tax for the car, just that this was late so there was a period whereby it had no road tax for a few months?

did the 'guy'? who was it you spoke too at what were they who did you ring?

did he mention this was for a late licencing penalty from the DVLA?

dx

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If I remember rightly, i came back to my van and there was a wheel clamp on,

i had to pay £250 to get it off, and of course before he did show i had road tax on van... which i did..

Then I forget what happened but apparently I got a £900+ fine, just like that out of thin air..

My UC apparently paid £200 of it off, and when I cancelled the UC - it must have cancelled paying the fine.

My records were updated.

I did not get any mail.

Until this letter - a few days ago.

This is the first I have heard of it.

Thank god those bullies at Marston did not come round.

Apparently they passed it back to this enforcement place, are these enforcement people working on behalf of the courts or are they just rogue cowboys?

what date did that happen roughly .year?

dx

and they

Mid 2019....

I will update main thread now if i can.

What do we think guys?

Is it too late now to challenge this?

What if I said it was a mishap on my part, tax was soon put on the vehicle?

£900 seems excessive?!

I think burglars get off more lightly!?

On 04/03/2024 at 17:55, mrk1 said:

I called him

On 04/03/2024 at 17:55, mrk1 said:

he then said this is to do with vehicle tax none payment.

He did not have much info like dates and anything else.

He did tell me that I have already paid off £200 ish.

Turns out when I was getting Universal Credit 3 years ago that paid for some of it.

who is this person you talked too above recently, you rang West Yorks Collections & Enforcement Centre??

and they

The letter i received, from west yorkshire enforcement

- i called them up, a guy on the phone he was confused when I started talking about over-payment of working tax credit,

he said woah hold on, this is for a fine you received for not having vehicle taxed, and this is where we are now..

I was offered £10 a week as payment, which on the surface seems ok but it's still £650+ out of my pocket to no doubt fund some wars overseas that I have no interest in funding!

you need to try and find out what this is exactly for. important!!

there are 2 things it could be 

1. £80 DVLA summary charge for a late licencing fee - then to county court i believe? then sent to court bailiffs

or 2. a magistrates court Fine for operating a vehicle without a licence.

the two are very diff .

as if its the 1st i cant see how an £80 summary charge got too several £100's - the most a bailiff can add is this instance is only £310.

how long did you operate the van that got clamped without road tax can you remember?

west yorkshire enforcement centre are not bailiffs but can refer a debt out for enforcement to one.

pers id be asking them exactly what this related too and how it has gotten to £900 when you have already paid +£250? in 2019 to release a clamp.

something eitherway is not right here.

ok you owe something and you should be paying yes and i would recommend you do that regardless, but you need to get to the bottom of it all.

if you ring someone please record the call so we get the exact wording of the charge correct

• Like 1

and they

Hi I was told it was for my vehicle being untaxed, which i did have a month of no tax, or so.... i come back to the van and it was clamped. I had to pay those sods who clamped it £250 them show proof of it being taxed which I put 6 months on.

It was a long time ago now and I forget how it even got to £900... but the guy on the phone said it was a combination of court costs, court fines and a fee to DVLA I think it was.

"how long did you operate the van that got clamped without road tax can you remember? "

I think 1 month, possibly a bit more, but by no means was I driving around with middle finger up to the road tax man.

I will call tomorrow morning, tried today but it kept ringing out. Will report back.

urm.. somethings not right here .

might be an idea to either sent them an sar or ask him to send everything he has on this to your by email pdf.

to me it just doesn't sound correct.

1 hour ago, mrk1 said:

a combination of court costs, court fines and a fee to DVLA I think it was.

its almost like you have had both a dvla £80 summary charge CCJ and a magistrates court fine rolled together, which if your van was only untaxed for 1 month (which cant be right they dont act that fast!!) . 

there is either more to this than you are not telling us, or getting everything wrong, which is nothing unusual for you sadly.

is there an outside chance you were p'haps detected on that day you got clamped by one of these ANPR vans that drive around and instantly clamp people?,  that would generate a resultant magistrates fine as well as the clamping fee

then done by the dvla for operating an untaxed vehicle on the public highway,

but neither of those happen for just being without road tax for 1 or 2 months...as when you do tax  it its backdated to remove the untaxed months and wiped.

pretty sure you must have gotten several letter whilst not having road tax too and you ignored them.

how did you get that 6mts tax done....i bet you took one of those letters to a post office and got the 6mts tax using that and not online?

however unless you ignored two lots of court summons paperwork? did you? i still cant see how this all adds upto +£900...with what we know so far by this thread your story to date doesnt hold water

and they

Yep. I’ll ask them to email me. Just play nice. And maybe even start their £10 a week game till we get to bottom of it. Will call 9am

OK spoke to them.

Here's the concrete info.

23rd October 2019 - Vehicle 'unlicensed' (no road tax) - she did not state for how long. I would not have been driving around blind and aware of no road tax, was a mishap.

Contrary to section 29(1) + (3) of vehicle excise + registrations act 1994.

DVLA costs £85.

HM courts tribunal costs £660

HM courts tribunal costs £213 (court services).

Total fines £958 approx.

They said they will put account on hold till 22nd march whilst I seek advice.

What do we think guys??

Hi guys. Any idea on what I can do here?

• 2 weeks later...

£958 does not make sense for sec 29 offence.

can you scan up the doc you have received that you got the above details from please

and they

Hi. Just to reiterate. 
This is all I got. In person on phone. 
want me to call then and ask for it in email? 

———————————————-

23rd October 2019 - Vehicle 'unlicensed' (no road tax) - she did not state for how long. I would not have been driving around blind and aware of no road tax, was a mishap.

Contrary to section 29(1) + (3) of vehicle excise + registrations act 1994.

DVLA costs £85.

HM courts tribunal costs £660

HM courts tribunal costs £213 (court services).

Total fines £958 approx.

They said they will put account on hold till 22nd march whilst I seek advice.

——————————————————-

DVLA Offences | No Vehicle Tax | Single Justice Procedure Notice  seems to indicate upto £1000 fine if it goes through the SJPN court system.

i really think you need to nail down what exactly happened that resulted in your requirement to pay £958.

ask here to email copies of all fines and SJPN court documents.

i suspect the above happened .

the payment to release the bailiff clamp (read further  down in the link) is nothing to do with what happened later .

and they

On 04/03/2024 at 18:40, mrk1 said:

If I remember rightly, i came back to my van and there was a wheel clamp on,

i had to pay £250 to get it off, and of course before he did show i had road tax on van... which i did..

but:

Release of wheel clamp (if paid within the first 24 hours) £100

and they

too many things dont add up.

you need to know exactly what you were taken to court for and exactly how the 'fine' was calculated.

the fact you were charged £250 release fee ,(unless you've got this figure wrong!)  does not run with the guidelines for such offences = £100 as i posted above. READ THE LINK.

dx

and they

Thank you.

I have just called the collections and enforcement centre and the lady told me that apparently the case had been requested to be re-opened.

I asked who request this and she did not know  To which I replied who would do this it certainly was not me.

I have emailed the courts now and I will call them first thing tomorrow morning to see if they can shed some light on this.

It is to my understanding that I would’ve paid the fine / clamped vehicle within the 24 hours

otherwise I would not have been able to drive my vehicle home

. And by default they require to see taxed vehicle before they release clamp   

I will report back here tomorrow.

just a quick update.

I have had numerous calls with the actual court spoke to a very helpful lady who has been giving me somewhat advice.

She told me that Dvla had requested to reopen the account back in 2020 for whatever reason. Long story short is now that the woman has given me the option to go back to the courts and have this reassessed.

The reason why the fine was so high is because I was living out of the country during the end of 2020 and as such had no access to mail.

They have calculated the fine on the assumption that my income was £500 plus per week. As well as having a court fines and Dvla fees and all the rubbish.

now I am going to email this woman who is in the courts and ask for the case to go back to court and to be reassessed.

I think that is some kind of progress.

• 2 weeks later...