• Tweets

• What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help! Husband's 18year old mortgage debt landed on our doorstep today. I'm terrified.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

SS's said that my OH had emailed them in 2001, 2002 and written to them in 2004 and sent copies to me as evidence of contact in September last year...emails from a temporary email address (I think) and the letter not being signed, as far as I can see from the copy sent to me....I wrote back saying that anyone at anytime could have written it...

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SS's said that my OH had emailed them in 2001, 2002 and written to them in 2004 and sent copies to me as evidence of contact in September last year...emails from a temporary email address (I think) and the letter not being signed, as far as I can see from the copy sent to me....I wrote back saying that anyone at anytime could have written it...

Depends where the email was sent from. If the recipient had kept the IP address header and it could be proved that the IP address was assigned to your husband's home or work account, etc. then claiming no knowledge might be difficult. Most people wouldn't bother using a masked or proxy IP either. However, I can't imagine they'll have kept email header information for coming up to 8 years. Unless they're particularly meticulous and suspected there were indicators of a future dispute.

As long as they are not admitting to the debt and cannot be proved to come from your husband, then they are of no value.

I would not mention these, at this stage. If Halifax have provided these to the FOS, you can challenge these, if they are raised as evidence he acknowledged the debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I really don't think it could be proved as coming from my OH as they were spurious addresses, not work or personal (that I know of)

unfortunately the letter of 2004 (unsigned as far as I can tell) offered £1000 in full and final. GULP!

So the letter is as of post no:572 with the exception of the use of 'mortgage holder' rather than my husband.....is that good to go?????/

Edited by perplexedofdorset

The adresses make no difference. It's the machine they were sent from.

For instance with the IP address (made up here) 277.189.09.04. I could (with no special software) look up the general location of the computer, the browser used, the Internet Service Provider, etc.

For an example, try typing your own IP address into: http://ip-lookup.net/

From that, with court permission, I could request the name and physical address of the person who owns the computer. :(

I really don't think it could be proved as coming from my OH as they were spurious addresses, not work or personal (that I know of)

unfortunately the letter of 2004 (unsigned as far as I can tell) offered £1000 in full and final. GULP!

So the letter is as of post no:572 with the exception of the use of 'mortgage holder' rather than my husband.....is that good to go?????/

Yes, just send it.

Re the emails and letters, if they don't have proof they have come from your OH, then it would be up to them to obtain the evidence. I wouldn't worry about this for the minute.

It is just one step at a time. See what the FOS say next. They will no doubt revert back to Halifax if any info is missing and respond to you in due course.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 weeks later...

TERRIBLE NEWS

I have today received the decision of the FOS as regards my OH case...and its not good!

They state they cannot uphold our complaint as they are satisfied that the H did contact my OH within the 6 years.....

when he was allegedly making payments toward the debt.

They have looked at the H'S internal contact notes, saying that my OH returned a voice mail message and agreed to pay back the debt.

These are the same payments (I assume) that I have had the two lists of (which don't agree)

The FOS goes onto say they did not find the H's, marketing of the property to be unsatisfactory....

'I'm scared and disturbed...if the H tell me they cannot provide details from where these payments came, how come the FOS are accepting some internal contact notes and the payments as proof from that my OH made the calls and payments.

The FOS say this concludes their investigation unless I disaggree in writing by the 19th April 2012......I must explain why and provide evidence that I have not already provided that i think is important to the case...but isn't the point that we dont have and more importantly the H dont have evidence of whom made the payments.

They finish by explaing I have the right to ask them to review the case ...as the final stage in our process

what happens then, they slap on the handcuffs and take my OH to jail????

She also says that she enclosed the internal notes and list of payments for our reference, but she didn't.

HELP HELP HELP...

I'm really worried now, I thought this was going to take months yet this is barely a couple of months old...and I thought that the fact that the H couldn't identify the source of the payments would hold some import...

Please come to my aide...This letter has ruined a really nice day and I'm going to pieces again....

OK....we are going to get to grips with this fiasco right now

This is not as serious as it appears.

1.Make sure you write to the FOS and tell them that you disagree with their decision BEFORE 19/4/2012. In your letter tell them you are' not prepared to accept their decision' tell them you want them to send the 'enclosed copy of internal notes and list of payments, which were not in your envelope when it arrived at your home.' Tell them you are unable at this stage to provide further evidence but will be in a position to do so within 28 days from the date of your letter.

2. Write to the Halifax and 'request full and unredacted details of the alleged payments made by your husband, including, but not limited to: the exact date and time the alleged payments were made, the location where the alleged payments were made, the name of the Bank or Building Society receiving the alleged payments and the name of the person making those alleged payments.Further and in the same terms the exact sum of each alleged payment and when it was apparently received by the Halifax, and at which branch it was apparently credited to this account at the Halifax.'

3. Tell the Halifax this: 'If you are unable to provide the information requested within the timescale given, you are to notify me immediately and in any case you to confirm receipt of these instructions within 48 hours. All correspondence and telephone calls are logged and recorded for evidential purposes.' It is vital you also write the following in your letter: 'You are to particularly note that this alleged debt is now in serious dispute with your Organisation.'

This will do a variety of things:

It will advise the FOS that there are other matters to be considered.

It will advise the Halifax that there are other enquiries being made

It will also (I hope) give you a little respite for a week or two...I have not read all of the posts, but do you have a copy of the Original agreement with the Halifax?.

Best wishes

Dougal

thanks dougal

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello Dougal,

unredacted ??????////

No I do not have any copy of the original mortgage with the H, this was my OH's debt from before we were married (its complicated, I knew him but we weren't together) that's after a parking ticket escalated because he ignored it/was too busy to pay it, they found us....He seems to have completely wiped any knowledge of this era of his life from his memory. He was in a toxic marriage that was breaking down and suffering a nervous breakdown in the later years of the '90s and simply has no recollection...

Here is an amended draft of a letter I have written in reply, could you please advise me as to additions or taking outs etc

Thank you for your letter of the 5th April which due to the Easter holidays I have only just received. We are understandably upset over your initial decision and are not prepared to accept it. We believe that you have failed to understand our complaint in that the contact and payments did not originate from my husband, the mortgage holder.

You say in your letter that you have enclosed copies of the Halifax’s internal contact notes and list of payments for us but I failed to find these, do you think you could send these on to us please?

I suspect they are the same as already received from the Halifax and am therefore at a loss to understand your ruling as these do not constitute proof that my husband made any of these contacts or payments.

The Halifax have already admitted to us that they are unable to prove from whom these payments and admittances of debt originated from which underlines our point that although some payments have been made toward the alleged debt, they did not originate from my husband, the mortgage holder.

Another point to take into account is that between the two separate lists provided by the Halifax of payments toward the alleged debt, neither correlate, with different dates and amounts paid. Surely this shows a lack of reliability on the part of the Halifax and its contractors. Couple these discrepancies with the Halifax’s inability to provide evidence of the source of the payments and we find their allegations of contact within the 6 years to be highly suspect.

We have asked the Halifax to provide us with evidence from whom these payments and contacts originated and as soon as we receive them will be in touch.

Agree with Dougal. Follow their advice. The FOS are simply stating that Halifax did make contact within the 6 years, so at the moment they do not think the CML code of conduct has been breached. But that was only part of the complaint.

Write back to FOS as advised by Dougal.

Write to Halifax asking for the proof of payments, which they had not provided previously.

Perplexed. This was always likely to drag on, as given the amount of money involved, Halifax will not give in easily. It will be one step at a time.

Uncle B,

They seem to just completely accept the payments were made by my OH, despite H stating that they couldn't provide this proof....

Im scared...the FOS seem to have looked, none too closely because why all the discrepancies in the two alleged payments lists and said..

well that's an easy one...

What do people think of the letter above, to the FOS ombudsperson

and this tentative draft to H as advised by dougal...sorry its not fleahed out I dont know how......

Following the initial decision made by the FOS in this case, I am asking for the full and unredacted details of the alleged payments that seem to have been made available to the FOS; including, but not limited to: the exact date and time the alleged payments were made, the location where the alleged payments were made, the name of the Bank or Building Society receiving the alleged payments and the name of the person making those alleged payments. Further and in the same terms the exact sum of each alleged payment and when it was apparently received by the Halifax, and at which branch it was apparently credited to this account at the Halifax. I have asked for these details before, which you said were unable to be provided to me.

If you are unable to provide the information requested before the end of this week 15th April 2012, you are to notify me immediately and in any case you to confirm receipt of these instructions within 48 hours, as I am under a time constraint from the FOS.

Please note that this alleged debt is now in serious dispute with your Organisation

It is not unusual for the FOS to side with companies, as they deal with some of the companies representatives on a regular basis. It can depend on what person at the FOS had looked at the complaint. I read of an Insurance case that had been going on for 2 years, with at first the FOS upholding the complaint, then rejecting it and then it was stuck on the ombudsmans desk. I presume that the actual ombudsman must have a massive in tray on their desk,

I think the draft letters to both the FOS and Halifax are ok.

I think the draft letters to both the FOS and halifax are ok.

But especially to the H, not rounded but I don't really know what I'm meant to be writing.............

AAAGGGHHHHH

amendedletter to the FOS above ..in blue.

Yes, I think the letters are fine.

In the 1990's properties were being sold for much less than the market price. A few people I know, handed in their keys when they could not afford the payments. The houses were sold for tens of thousands below the prices they had paid. But what they did, was come to an arrangement to pay a full & final settlement based on what they could afford at the time.

If you remember, the Tories made a complete mess of the economy after the ERM debacle. Mortgage interest rates went up to 15%. This is partly why Labour won with a landslide in 1997.

Silly girl...where would i put that disclaimer???

Ok, here are the letters that are about to wing their way to the FOS and the Halifax.....

Any suggestions, amendments please let me know as soon as.........

I know its boring re reading the same thing again and again so I have highlighted the changes in purple...

Firstly to the FOS......

Thank you for your letter of the 5th April which, due to the Easter holidays, I have only just received. We are understandably upset over your initial decision and are not prepared to accept it. We believe that you have failed to understand our complaint in that the contact and payments did not originate from my husband, the mortgage holder.

You say in your letter that you have enclosed copies of the Halifax’s internal contact notes and list of payments for us but these failed to materialize; do you think you could send these on to us please?

I suspect they are the same as those we have already received from the Halifax and am therefore at a loss to understand your ruling, as these do not constitute proof that my husband made any of these contacts or payments. The Halifax admitted to us in their letter of 10th February 2012 that they are unable to provide evidence from whom these payments and admittances of debt originated, which underlines our point that although some payments have been made toward the alleged debt, they did not originate from my husband, the mortgage holder.

Another point to take into account is that between the two separate lists of payments received toward the alleged debt provided, neither correlate. Each list showing different dates, amounts and total amounts paid. Surely this shows a lack of accuracy on the part of the Halifax and its contractors. Couple these discrepancies with the Halifax’s inability to provide evidence of the source of the payments and we find their allegations of contact with my husband to be highly suspect.

We have asked, for the third time, for the Halifax to provide us with evidence from whom these payments and contacts originated and as soon as we receive them will be in touch.

Yours faithfully

Encl: Duplicate of letter to Halifax.

and to the Halifax.......

Following the FOS’s initial decision in this case, I am asking for the full and unredacted details of the alleged payments that seem to have been made available to them; including, but not limited to: the exact date and time the alleged payments were made, the location where the alleged payments were made, the name of the Bank or Building Society receiving the alleged payments and the name of the person making those alleged payments. Further and in the same terms the exact sum of each alleged payment and when it was apparently received by the Halifax, and how or at which branch it was apparently credited to this account at the Halifax.

I have asked for these details before; from Shoosmiths on the 8th August 2011 and from yourselves on the 19th September 2011 and then again on the 13th January 2012, at which point you said were unable to provide me with that information.

If you are unable to provide the information requested before the end of this week 15th April 2012, you are to notify me immediately and in any case you to confirm receipt of these instructions within 48 hours, as I am under a time constraint from the FOS.

Please note that this alleged debt is now in serious dispute with your Organisation.

Both letters seem ok to me.

I think the Halifax have probably provided the same system information of payments to the FOS as they sent to you for the SAR. But Halifax have probably explained that these payments cannot be for anything else, other than payments from the mortgage holder. The FOS have obviously just accepted this.

Until you have the evidence from the Halifax about the payments, it is difficult to say how this will now proceed.

It will just be one step at a time. The difficult bit for Halifax will be the payments made to DLC, as they may not be able to get hold of the precise details of the payments.

Right Uncle B,

shall I go with the letters as they are...or add the' I do not acknowledge'....bit, but where????

Top / bottom????

Ok as Tempus ever Fugit's I have put the I do not acknowledge this alleged debt as a stand alone heading at the top of both letters...hope that is right???

Off to the Post Office...Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to town I go....

use it as the title

at the very top.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Morning all, and especially Perplexed,

This is my recommended letter to the Halifax...my alterations are in blue.

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOURSELVES OR ANY OTHER COMPANY OR PERSON.

Following the FOS’s initial decision in this case, I am asking you for the full and unredacted details of the alleged payments that are alleged to have been made to the Halifax; including, but not limited to: the exact date and time the alleged payments were made, the location where the alleged payments were made, the name of the Bank or Building Society receiving the alleged payments and the name of the person making those alleged payments. Further and in the same terms the exact sum of each alleged payment and when it was apparently received by the Halifax, and how or at which branch it was apparently credited to this account at the Halifax.

I have asked for these details before; from Shoosmiths on the 8th August 2011 and from yourselves on the 19th September 2011 and then again on the 13th January 2012, at which point you said were unable to provide me with that information.

If you are unable to provide the information requested before the end of this week 15th April 2012, you are to notify me immediately and in any case you are to confirm receipt of these instructions within 48 hours, as I am under a time constraint from the FOS.

Please note that this alleged debt is now in serious dispute with your Organisation, and the FOS have also been notified of this fact.

Best wishes

Dougal