npower debt - power2contact - Our right to enter your home

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I currently owe npower about £250 for gas/elec, which I'm having trouble paying (due to being unemployed and in receipt of Job Seeker's Allowance).

I have every intention of paying, but would like to explore every possible solution available in getting help.

I received a letter notifying npower's right to enter my home and, most likely, fit a prepayment meter. I spoke to the collections dept and I had only two options:

1) Pay half of the debt up front (approx £125), then make small payments, or;

2) Have prepayment meters installed and have about £5 (a figure that I proposed), per week taken off the credit + a daily standing charge of 38p(!)

I've noticed that npower has an Energy Trust, for those who've got into debt with their fuel bills (plus other debts). I'm going to apply for this and see what happens.

Can anyone help out with some advice regarding this debt?

Thanks.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/2-3/21

Its extremely rare for them to be granted any warrant if its opposed in person.

Not sure if any of this could be of use:

From 1st October 2010, companies of the Scottish and Southern group:

•Atlantic Electric and Gas

•Southern Electric

•SWALEC and

•Scottish Hydro Electric

offer a three-tier package for customers who are vulnerable or in fuel poverty (i.e. spending 10% or more of their income on fuel).

What the package offers

First Tier

Customers who spend between 10% to 14% of household income on energy costs: a Winter Care Rebate of £50.00 per fuel.

Second Tier

Customers who spend between 15% to 19% of household income on energy costs: are offered either

•£100.00 rebate per fuel; or

•referral to their Community Interest Company (CIC) for appropriate assistance (for example, a more detailed conversation to identify how to help that person in their situation) and, if they have an outstanding balance on their fuel account greater than the rebate, they will be encouraged to take it.

Third Tier

Customers who spend 20% or over of household income on energy costs will:

•qualify for the energyplus Care tariff. This gives a 30% reduction on their standard tariff rate.

•be referred to CIC for further support and assistance, depending on their circumstances.

CIC offers include:

•choice from a range of A-rated appliances

•a retail pack (a range of smaller products to help use energy efficiently in the home)

•benefit entitlement check and money advice (through a third-party partnership)

•detailed energy efficiency advice and help with additional energy efficiency measures.

Careline

Careline provides a team of specially trained advisers for:

•the elderly (over 60)

•people with disabilities

•the chronically sick

•the partially-sighted

•the blind

•the hearing-impaired and

•the deaf.

This service can provide:

•a freephone helpline with direct routing to an adviser

•a password scheme to confirm that meter readers and representatives are genuine

•a meter reading service

•free relocation of the meter where this is difficult to read for customers with an infirmity or a disability

•a Knock and Wait scheme which allows the customer time to answer their door

•advice on keeping warm, energy-efficient use of appliances and energy efficiency options generally and

•a free gas safety check.

going through that now.

have asked them if they do a social tarrif?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx100uk for the reply.

It just so happens that I migrated to ebico last month, so am with them now. The a/c with npower is no more, well, the debt still exists of course.

Npower wanted me to pay a minimom of £20 per fortnight, despite me telling them I was in finacial hardship and claiming JSA!

On a related note; besides coming here or seeking advice from the CAB, I stongly advise anyone who has fuel problems to beg, borrow, or steal the 15th edition of Fuel rights handbook from CPAG.

Stay vigilant!

so is this resolved then?

interested

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

so is this resolved then?

interested

dx

Re the forced entry & being saddled with a PAYG meter, I would say that things should be ok as ebico have taken over my fuel supplies.

But regarding the repayment of debt, that's another thing. I will keep this thread updated when thrashing out an affordable payment plan with npower.

On a related note; besides coming here or seeking advice from the CAB, I stongly advise anyone who has fuel problems to beg, borrow, or steal the 15th edition of Fuel rights handbook from CPAG.

http://www.onlineservices.cpag.org.uk/product/print/165185

The Fuel Rights Handbook is essential for any adviser helping clients cope with fuel bills, debt and related problems with fuel suppliers. The UK energy market is an ongoing process of development, so this edition has been fully updated to meet the continuing needs of consumers facing greater choice and competition, the supply of fuel under contracts and opportunities for energy saving measures. Topics covered by this Handbook include:

the right to a supply

methods of payment and metering

responsibility for bills, shared arrangements and tenants’ rights

dealing with debt and disconnection

benefits and other financial help

gas and electricity companies and how Ofgem works

the courts and legal remedies, including the position in Scotland.

With an emphasis on the legal protection of vulnerable consumers, the Handbook also provides essential information on the reduction and prevention of fuel poverty and consiers the impact of human rights law on powers to disconnect gas and electricity under warrant. Information is cross-referenced to legislation and the latest Standard Licence Conditions for fuel supply. The Fuel Rights Handbook is relied upon by all Citizens Advice Bureaux and by lawyers, consumer advisers, social workers and advice agencies.

‘So clear and comprehensive that it is difficult to conceive how advice could authoritatively be given on the rights of electricity and gas consumers without its help… If you work in this field and have not already got it, you need it’ NEW LAW JOURNAL

Having trouble with fuel bills? Or advising other people with fuel bill problems? Get hold of the Fuel Rights Handbook’ SUNDAY MIRROR

‘The presence of the Fuel Rights Handbook on an adviser’s bookshelf is imperative – I can honestly use no other word. You will not be able to say that you are properly resourced without this indispensable publication from the CPAG stable … buy this book ’ ROOF

There has never been a greater need for a definitive guide to fuel rights. It will be no surprise to avid CPAG fans that this is it … well established as the standard practical guide … CPAG – what would we do without you?’ THE ADVISER

Find something to enjoy every day.

[20190624]

they could apply to the dwp to have deductions from your benefit.the cab might be the first choice to see if they can negotiate a settlement on your behalf.the benefits of this is that they are less likely to attempt bully an arrangement that has a detrimental affect on you financially.

warrants are applied for in bulk to enter property,people have arrived home before and their furniture has been moved.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/power-of-officials-to-enter-your-home/gas-and-electricity-boards.html

ebico are a good choice for low users,there's no standing charge you pay for what you use although southern electric the company that handles the payments/administration of the account can be heavy handed sending out disconnection notices twenty eight days after the bill even though they send payment cards,if they don't like the amount being paid this is what they do.

• 1 month later...
they could apply to the dwp to have deductions from your benefit.the cab might be the first choice to see if they can negotiate a settlement on your behalf.the benefits of this is that they are less likely to attempt bully an arrangement that has a detrimental affect on you financially.

warrants are applied for in bulk to enter property,people have arrived home before and their furniture has been moved.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/power-of-officials-to-enter-your-home/gas-and-electricity-boards.html

ebico are a good choice for low users,there's no standing charge you pay for what you use although southern electric the company that handles the payments/administration of the account can be heavy handed sending out disconnection notices twenty eight days after the bill even though they send payment cards,if they don't like the amount being paid this is what they do.

I haven't come across any info whereby a energy provider can apply to the DWP and make deductions. I think you're referring to Fuel Direct scheme where you, the debtor, have to apply and agree to have monies deducted for any arrears (deducted weekly, and paid to the provider every 13-weeks). I think this is usually the case with gas arrears, but it appears that electricity suppliers will insist you have a prepayment meter installed instead.

You mentioned that bailiffs have entered peoples home and taken their possesions. I assumed that debts owed to energy providers were civil debts? If bailiffs do turn up at your door, you don't have to let them in. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

With regards to direct deductions from benefits, this is only possible for ongoing supplies and is only offered as a last resort when prepayment meters are not an option, this is outlined in the DWP's own literature regarding fuel direct.

If you have other unsecured debts, it may be worth seeking the advice of the Consumer Credit Counselling Service to consider a Debt Relief Order or Bankruptcy

• 2 weeks later...

I helped someone who had a debt with npower of almost £500.00. They moved home and the place they moved to was supplied by npower. They changed their supplier and got a payment plan set up for £5.00 per month. We contacted npower in writing (insist all contact is made it writing) and set out intentions on making payment and provided an income and expenditure. They had no option but to agree to this low amount. It is possible.

CHARIS GRANTS is a good one to try it you are still on supply and have large debts that you can't afford but whats the matter with prepay meters? Prepay have a bad reputation however this is unfair. Check the tariffs you may pay more on a credit meter. I know 2 suppliers where you do. Although tehre is commonly a standing charge. This can owrk in your favor in winter but against you in summer.

Ask for the social tariff.

I helped someone who had a debt with npower of almost £500.00. They moved home and the place they moved to was supplied by npower. They changed their supplier and got a payment plan set up for £5.00 per month. We contacted npower in writing (insist all contact is made it writing) and set out intentions on making payment and provided an income and expenditure. They had no option but to agree to this low amount. It is possible.

CHARIS GRANTS is a good one to try it you are still on supply and have large debts that you can't afford but whats the matter with prepay meters? Prepay have a bad reputation however this is unfair. Check the tariffs you may pay more on a credit meter. I know 2 suppliers where you do. Although tehre is commonly a standing charge. This can owrk in your favor in winter but against you in summer.

Ask for the social tariff.

Good to hear your account with npower.

I can no longer use charisgrants with the npower debt (I think) as I've moved to another provider, but will look into help with the Anglian Water assistance fund. The grant site is worth a peek.

Just an update.

Got a call from an Npower rep following a letter that I sent asking for 28 days to hold off the court proceddings, and which also included a token payment. The rep mentioned that they wouldn't consider an offer without an income/expenditure/debts breakdown. So I offered to send her a copy, which she replied: 'we don't accept these from individuals, only from oranisations like CAB etc.' I protested and asked that they could at least accept it from myself on good faith, and that I'd even send a copy of my bank statement.

Now here is the interesting bit; after I told her that I'd sort it out in court (which they did threaten me with - a lot!), she admitted that it will only go to a DCA (debt collection agency).

I was in the same position with npower not too long ago.When you are receiving benefits (jsa, hb, etc), they have to except pretty much whatever you offer.You do not have to send a letter from any "debt help" organisations.Once you make an offer you can afford, stick to it.Even if its only £5 per month.Don't miss any payments.You do not need to wait for them to accept either.Tell them what you'r egoing to pay, why you're going to pay it (unemployment), and start paying it.They can not take you to court regarding the outstanding debt, because you are unemployed andhave offered to pay what you can afford.Don't let them bully you.