iuc, please please help, I Hav an anxiety disorder, this letter has caused me distres

Wizzer77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dwp and la were both there, as they work together sometimes in iuc's. If u claim both. Yes im well out of it thank god! At least i havent been followed etc etc, that was my worse fear as id have to explain my movements. My bf agrees were not gonna claim ct benefit even tho we entitled as we want nothing to do with la anymore!

Oh I see, both of them! Gosh you poor thing. Yes, my friend had a joined IUC with them both. I agree with your boyfriend, & I wont be either even though I am entitled to it. It's just not worth the grief! I know it's not an everyday occurance that issues like this come up for us, but once was enough for me, & I wouldn't even want an overpayment on any scale again myself. My mum is 63 & wont claim the 25% off single person council tax benefit because she knows what they're like for trying to get as many off benefits as possible & poking their nose in peoples business.

These government depts keep going on about fraud & keep saying they also encourage people to claim what they're entitled to, bull, she didn't mention anything about me not claiming anymore yesterday, & she knows full well even if I worked 40 hours a week I could still get about 20 quid a month towards my rent.

They're just glad they can save money if people dont claim, imo anyway x

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

she knows full well even if I worked 40 hours a week I could still get about 20 quid a month towards my rent.

They're just glad they can save money if people dont claim, imo anyway x

More hassle than it's worth? I found that too - I was entitled to some LHA - but decided against claiming. It did mean having to spend about £15 on a food a week - but I could really not be bothered with the hassle of claiming and then stopping (because I wouldn't have needed it) when student finance was sorted out. (disabled student - so did have an entitlement to LHA)

More hassle than it's worth? I found that too - I was entitled to some LHA - but decided against claiming. It did mean having to spend about £15 on a food a week - but I could really not be bothered with the hassle of claiming and then stopping (because I wouldn't have needed it) when student finance was sorted out. (disabled student - so did have an entitlement to LHA)

It's really just too complex isn't it. I never realised for the last 2 years that I could have gone down there with payslips when I got paid LESS than my contract they had stated, because I didn't get sick pay etc. Also didn't know they take half your work pension into account. I said to the interviewer yesterday I dont suit benefits! I would be down here every month because my wages might vary slightly, tax credits dont tell you by letter if they give you an extra quid or 2 a week, if I didn't notice that in the bank quick enough, there goes another over payment. Ooooh it makes me shudder tbh.

Atleast now I can work an extra hour here n there when work need it, I can work an extra day even (4 hours), & tax credits wont pull me in for an IUC if I dont let them know quick enough :|

• 3 months later...

I had advice from u lovely people back in April with my interview under caution. I lived on my own since 2006 with my children. At the end of 2008 I met a lovely man, my partner and fell preg with twins straight away, I have 3 older ones. I had a house in an awful area with my kids at a rubbish school. I had no choice but to live there as I had previously been homeless and was just happy to have a roof! Anyway after meeting my partner in nov 2008, I had my twins in aug '09, I spent a bit of time there and during feb '09 I changed my childrens school to one in his area, using his address (as it's a much better school) I then continued to spend mostve my day out, but still lived in rubbish house. My partner wouldn't let me live with him until I had gone bankrupt, as I had large debts. After me scrimping, being very scared to commit to living with a man again after a violent relationship which resulted in me being homeless, we plodded along until July '10 I broke my leg/ankle n had to live with him as I was non weight bearing. I phoned relevant authorities n told them this and they said it was fine n I moved back in in dec. Then spent mostve xmas with him. They on 23rd feb I was made bankrupt and the same day I handed in my notice on property and moved in with partner 1st april. THEN I get a letter for iuc which claimed I had been living with him since feburary

(sorry pressed submit to soon)

They sed in iuc that I have been living with partner since feb '09, the evidence was the school form with his address, and very little electricity used... But I had hardly any appliances, but did use a little electric!!! I was never there in daytime! At night was mostly lights off! Anyway I explained myself... Got letters from Dwp, housing benefit saying I owe nearly 30k in overpayments!!! Mentions nothing about court!! Have wrote out my appeal. But am panicking about paying this money back! We r a low income family with 5 kids. Partner has mortgage. But I have only just been made bankrupt! Can I put these debts into bankruptcy if I'm no longer claiming those benefits? How do they expect to pay me back? Can it affect my mans house??? Major panicking now!!!!! Please help, I'm going out of my mind!

Edited by Wizzer77

Following a iuc, i have been asked for overpayment of h/b, is, ct since 2009 which amounts upto 30k!! 19,000 is hb! They sed i was living with partner since 2009 when actually we moved in together april this yr. I went bankrupt this feb and thought i had my life all sorted after real crap :( the only evidence they have is ...i changed my childrens schools in 2009 n put my partners address down, a neighbour told some1 ididnt live there, and my electricity wasnt used much :-/ thats it. I will copy n paste a copy of my appeal letter whichis much more detailed, i will change names etc onnit, butu will get drift. Please please advise me, i am going out of my mind :-(:-(

Appeal.....

I am writing this to appeal, against overpayment of income support and housing benefit.

I understand you have reason to believe, and certain 'evidence' that i wasnt residing at the property of ......Please firstly let me confirm to you

that i was infact residing at this property and have done so from october 2008-april 2011. I have been very distressed about this matter, as i

have had extraordinary circumstances to come to decisions that i made in regards to actions i have taken, none of which include living with my

partner during this time, which although i may have made decisions that have obviously made it probable to your decision maker that i was living

with my partner, i am am hoping that you will come to undertstand why i made certain decisions, and realise that i have never fraudentely

claimed money that i wasnt entitled to. Firstly, let me address the evidence that i have had presented to me

Firstly, changing schools of my children to a school near my partners home and using my partners address,

I did this as i was very worried about the emotional wellbeing of my 2 eldest children, in particular, L... before i moved her schooling. I had these

concerns as my children had had alot of upheaval before hand and during her time there, she really wasnt settling, she had often refused to go

to school, which resulted in myself being called into the school and attend a meeting with a welfare worker, where we discussed her attentance,

and my responsibility to ensure she attended.

This became such a battle for me, as she just wasnt happy. A friend had mentioned ...school to me in Corfe Mullen, and after looking into it, decided it would benefit my children to attend this school, as i was pregnant with my partners

children, and was reluctantly hopeful that i would someday build a life with this man, which i subsequently did do (in April 2011)

I did put my partners address down on school paperwork, as i believed my children wouldnt be able to attend this school, as we were out of

catchment. I am now led to believe that this is the wrong thing to do, but at the time, i was very hormonal (pregnant with twins), had so much

guilt about my childrens happiness due to past circumstances that led me to make this decision.

I have had a very extraodinary life before i moved in with partner, which i hope will explain decisions i made which led you to believe i had

monies i wasnt entitled too.

As a child i lived in quite a povished state, we had a run down house, with no heating, double glazing and my mum would work incredibly long

hours to keep our 'heads above water' which often resulted in us being left home alone for long periods and often tended to ourselves. Obviously i cant remember dates, but i lived on isle of wight from 1986-2007, but i attended .....primary school from 1986-1991, and i know the school brought attention to, what i knew to be called a welfare officer, i even remember her name was mrs .....I am only going into such detail,

to give you the opportunity to please research this information i have given you, as i feel it is relevent in the evidence which was brought to my

attention of living a hand to mouth existance, and having periods of time where i couldnt afford electricity between october 2008-april 2011.

The evidence brought to me which stated how little electricity units i had used, some of which the time presented, i wasnt residing at property as

was suffering with a broken ankle and was unable to live alone (which i informed h/b, income support, compliance officer steve james and my

letting agent of) but i can assure you that i did use units of electricity, because i know that i used my lighting, refridgerator, hoover and

microwave. So i am sure if you could obtain my electricity records from feb 09-apr 11, you will see that i did infact use electricity. Although i do

admit there was periods of time that i couldnt afford to make back payments to the electricity meter to make it even, so there was periods of

time that we had no electric. I only go into detail of my past, to make you understand that these circumstances wasnt as extraordinary

to me, as they may have been for people of a 'normal' upbringing.

You may have picked up on the point that i said at the begining of my relationship with M i was reluctant about moving in with him, even though

i had changed the schools of my children, the fact that i had hoped the relationship would work out was only a small factor in this decision, as i

have explained. I was very cautious as my children have been in some very distressing circumstances during their early years, and after leaving

the isle of wight in march 2007, with nothing but 2 suitcases, i was adament i wouldnt put my children in the positions they have faced before.

I had a 7 year relationship with my eldest 3 childrens father, from 1999-2006 during which i found to be a very abusive relationship, mainly

mentally abusive, but sometimes physically too. On 27th august 2005 (i remember date as it was my friends wedding, my children were

bridesmaid/pageboy, and i missed most of it due to my injuries and concussion) i actually attended a&e dept, in st marys hospital on isle of

wight, i told the nurse how i had sustained these injuries and it was noted, so again, please feel free to research this to support what i am

saying.

After we split up, my ex partner paid 1st months rent and deposit for me to live in a house, which i couldnt really afford, i had no choice

but to leave his (owned) house, as his violence and intimidation made me feel i had to accept his offer of this house. I worked during this time

and only claimed top-up housing benefit and tax credits, but it was during this time things started to spiral out of control with debts etc, i could

no longer afford to live in this house and because of this, was given notice to leave.

I had nowhere to go, i had no money, nothing. I even took

my children into newport isle of wight housing office and pleaded with them for help, but they wouldnt help me as my rental arrears had caused

me to make myself "intentionally homeless" i had to wait on a housing list. So during the period of oct 07-march '08 i was homeless.**The

children and i would have to sleep at friends and relatives houses, my c/o address was my dads h/a property. Alot of the time i would sleep in

my car, all 3 of my children (aged 1, 5 & 7 at the time) would share a sofa, mainly at my dads residence, and i would go into my car, or visit

friends. I also worked nightshifts during mostve this time so i slept at work also. By march 2008 i was so depressed, i felt like a had let my

children down, and after repeated calls to the council/housing, nothing was being done.

I then had an offer from a friend that i could rent there owned 3bed caravan in....... I was still having a very strained contact with my childrens

father, had no home, was starting to fall out with family members, due to the strain of imposing on them, and felt this was a great opportunity to

make a new life for myself. I worked at the caravan park, in the arcade, and claimed tax credits, but not the housing benefit i was entitled too, i

chose to work my hardest to pay for it myself, i have always been a strong believer in using the benefit system for what it is designed for, those

in need, and i felt, rightly or wrongly, that i could cope with the rent myself, which i did. We were still very very poor during this time, luckily

utilities were provided in the caravan, but we struggled greatly, and i relied on credit to purchase items for the children.

During July 2008, i made an attempt on my life, i was hospitilised for a serious overdose, taken by ambulance to ...hospital, cant remember

exact date, but i know it was around 20th july. I felt i couldnt go on any longer, i felt i was letting my children down, and felt that however hard i

tried nothing ever worked out for me, melodramatic i know, but i was in a very dark place, and suffered with depression and anxiety for a long

time afterwards (only stopped medication when i found out i was pregnant) but still feel anxiety, and feel that this is someing i will try to

overcome in time.

After the season ended in october 2008 i, withcouncils rent deposit scheme moved into 200...

Here i really struggled with everything, the previous credit i had foolishly relied on had been used up, we lived hand to mouth, if it was cold we

put on an extra jumper, i had a washing machine from dorset reclaim which we had to sell for a essentials. I had a fridge, a microwave, sofa to

sit on, beds to sleep in, and clothes to wear (albeit 2nd hand) and i tried desperately to make the best of what we had, and make up for it in love

for my children. I hated the area we lived in, a notorious council estate, and we spent alot of time away from there, anything but be there. My

children were frightened of the teenagers that hung around, and i**couldnt stand being around the neighbours. When i met M in november 2008, i kept alot of how i lived secret, i was ashamed and would always suggest meeting away from the area, or going to his house. During my

pregnancy with our twins dec'08-august '09, i would spend time at his house, during periods when my children were away visiting family on isle

of wight, i**would spend nights at his house, i suffered from heightened anxiety at this time, as i was concerned about twins coming early. I

attended all my antenatel appointments in the area i lived. After having the twins, i had an emergency cesearean and had to stay with M as i was unable to do any heavy lifting or driving, i informed the hospital of my short stay, and health visitor, who came to visit from the area i

resided, to Mark Barbers home.**After this time we just plodded along, M and i would talk during these months about moving in together, but i

was in alot of debt, it was important to M that i completed a bankruptcy before i could move in, which costs £450, not something i could raise

easily!**Firstly M allowed me use of a bank account in his name to use, which had none of his money going in or anything at all coming out,

just for me to use so that i could receive my benefits without it being swallowed up by one of my main debtors, ....bank, and i was advised that i

couldnt have a bank account if i was to go bankrupt. I saved at a very slow rate to pay for this bankruptcy, it was a crippling time, i had no spare

money as it was, and saving this was so gradual, and M did give me a small amount towards it, once i had saved up mostve the money, to

prove i was serious about resolving my debts. During this time, in July 2010 i slipped and broke my ankle in 3 places and was taken by

ambulance to .... hospital (last thursday of july 2010) where i stayed for a week in extreme pain, was given morphine and had to have an

operation to have 2 screws drilled into my bones to hold it in place to heal. During this agonising week, i still found it in myself to phone my

letting agent, housing benefit and income support to inform them i wasnt at home and was told i would be non weight bearing for sometime, so

would be unable to live alone. Why would i do this if according to dwp/hb i wasnt even living there anyway, and hadnt** been for apparentely

hadnt done so for 17months by this point? I did this as i was aware i wouldnt be at home and that this needed to be told to appropriate

authorities, i was told to put it in writing, but considering my circumstances, im sure you can understand i why i forgot to follow thisinstruction up.

But it was presented to me in the interview under caution that they had infact received my phonecall informing them, so although may not have

followed procedure, i did infact take actions during a very distressing time to make authorities aware of my situations, which to reiterate, i

wouldnt have bothered if i wasnt even living there anyway!**I moved back in in december 2010 and after getting christmas and new year out of

the way i put in for my bankruptcy, which was ordered on 23rd feburary 2010 in county court, so i am currentely an undischarged bankrupt. After my bankruptcy date, i handed my notice straight in on my house and made plans to move in with M.I am aware that neighbours had told council workers i didnt live in this property, and i really have no defence to this, as it was fiction. I really dont know whether they were being malicious**(i hardly knew them) or whether because they didnt see much of me as i was out allday, i really dont know, as it isnt true, i feel so angry and distressed about this, i feel that i am being penalised for being cautious, that i went through all of the hard times these last few years, not only time in my childrens lives that will probably be with them for the rest of there lives, but denying my baby twins the routine, and family environment that they shouldve started with, all because M and i wanted to do the right thing, him protect his home from a bankruptcy on it, and that i vowed i would never put my children in the awful circumstances they had endured in there short lives, i had to be sure that i really wanted to live with someone again. I needed the security of my home, our lives seperate from his, so**the kids and i could have tea with him, time for him to bond with twins whilst bathing and feeding time with them, but having my own home to go home too, if i wanted to do my own thing, i could. And not having the reliance of someone, after being let down so incredibly in the past, and letting myself down. I feel that although i made the mistake of changing the school, and according to fraud officer, i didnt use enough electric?!?**That i never claimed monies i wasnt entitled too, i had no reason to, as i had no financial gain from living as a single parent, my housing benefit went straight to my letting agent (whom i had constant contact with, and regular inspections of property) i never pocketed the housing benefit, i had it purely to keep a roof over our heads, and straight to them. And our tax credit entitlement is marginally higher as a couple than as a single parent, so i had no reason to do this. I have never claimed when i didnt need too (only claiming income support very briefly once whilst homeless, with my dads c/o address) the rest of my adult years i have worked, andas i stated previously, didnt claim at caravan when i wouldve got help, i have, dispite a very troubled upbringing, maintained an honest, law abiding lifestyle, have tried to overcome issues of my past and have now (since april) had the courage to take a leap of faith and move forward with my life, to no longer claim h/b or income support, and work towards raising our children to be proffesional, self sufficient adults. I implore you to please read my appeal and try to understand why this situation may have come about, i may have made a silly decision to

change schools (putting my childrens happiness first) but this is not actually what im in trouble for, i am accused of living with M whilst claiming single parent benefits, and i NEVER did this. It wouldnt have been worth it, my bankruptcy gave me a chance to move on debt free, i had no financial gain, have alot of reasons as to why i made certain decisions as to the evidence brought against me, and i truly hope i not only wouldve gone through the poverty (especially the crippling time of saving for bankruptcy- just to maybe end up in more debt than i started with!) living in awful area, keeping my babies from there dad, and waiting all of is time, will have been for nothing!!!**but to be accused of being a benefit thief, when i have

worked hard mostve my life, paid my taxes and lived by the law is an insult to me, and very distressing.

Edited by Wizzer77

I cant cos on my ipad it wont let me scroll through it :-/ please please bear with it and advise me, im out of my mind, i dont know what will happen to me :-/ i honestly feel like iwould be better off dead. My life has been rubbish so far and this was my chance of making it better, and these people have ruined it all:-( im sorry for rambling, i just know im innocent and i dont know how they can do this to me :-(

With an appeal, the best thing is to keep the letter as simple as possible and just answer the specific allegations made. This letter is far, far too long and most of it needs to be cut out.

State your children's school had your boyfriend's address (don't refer to him as partner, but as boyfriend) so they could be in the catchment for a good school, state they had problems at the old school so were moved. Acknowledge that this was wrong, but imperative to your children's welfare, and that lying about an address to get a school place is not a unique phenomenon. ( you may get some come back about this from the school)

State your electricity usage was low because you struggled to buy cards and would often go without if necessary. There is no problem with saying that as boyfriend and girlfriend you stayed with him at times - overnight when children were away, when you had a broken ankle and needed care, and after your surgery. Make it clear that your finances were seperate, your post and his post went to your own addresses, and your and his property were kept at your own addresses and never together (as long as these things are true).

State why you hesitated to move in together and be a couple - previous violent relationship and debt problems.

Give the date you actually did move in together.

Also good to argue how your finances were worse living apart than they living together - you get more tax credits now. Did you have to pay extra rent to top up your housing benefit? What bills did you have to pay on your house that you don't have to pay now. Point out that you have been accused of fraudulently taking advantage of the benefit system, but that this is illogical, given the fact that you were financially worse off by having seperate houses, so it makes no sense that you would pretend to live apart, while actually living together in order to commit fraud. There was no gain, therefore no logical reason for any fraud.

Although I sympathise with you feeling the need to explain your whole life because you feel so affronted - keeping it simple and concise will give a better chance of having a successful appeal.

Eeek I've already sent it... I was just so upset. Will I have any other opportunity? shall I send another letter??

We get more as a couple cos he works a fairly low paid job, so we get more in tax credits as his working tax credit is £80 where my income support was £64ish, so other than having a house I didn't gain. I just wanted them to understand why I lived in such conditions (minimal furnishings, utilities etc) and try to appeal to ther better nature. We shared no finances cos i didnt pay for my bills (they wrre unpaid n included in bankruptcy)Based on what I have written, the amount (nearly 30k) and the 'evidence'

do u think I have a hope in hell???? I just don't

understand how they have come to this conclusion?! I

Spent all that time n finally gone bankrupt n now I'm in more debt than I started with... Have I messed up my appeal???? Arrrggghhhhhh

don't care about trouble with school, I just can't believe

Hello wizzer, you will get help here.

To put sentences into your original post [OP], have you tried looking at the bottom right hand corner of the post? There's an Edit Post button and this lets you go back into what you typed and put in some paragraphs. As rebel says, you're likely to get more help and comments if it's a bit more spaced out and easier to read.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Eeek I've already sent it... I was just so upset. Will I have any other opportunity? shall I send another letter??

We get more as a couple cos he works a fairly low paid job, so we get more in tax credits as his working tax credit is £80 where my income support was £64ish, so other than having a house I didn't gain. I just wanted them to understand why I lived in such conditions (minimal furnishings, utilities etc) and try to appeal to ther better nature. We shared no finances cos i didnt pay for my bills (they wrre unpaid n included in bankruptcy)Based on what I have written, the amount (nearly 30k) and the 'evidence'

do u think I have a hope in hell???? I just don't

understand how they have come to this conclusion?! I

Spent all that time n finally gone bankrupt n now I'm in more debt than I started with... Have I messed up my appeal???? Arrrggghhhhhh

don't care about trouble with school, I just can't believe

If you've already sent it, then obviously you can't change what you have written.

You will have a chance to put your case forward in the appeal, so you would be able to write another statement.

But if you were on IS and not paying your bills then it will be harder to show you were worse off if he was getting tax credits and you were getting IS - they will argue you were trying to keep your IS and his working tax credit simultaneously.

Also did you move in together before or after you knew about the investigation and interview under caution?

Lee

He wasn't getting working tax credits before we moved in, he wasn't getting any sort of benefit. We only claimed together since 1st April. We had already moved in together wen I got the letter for iuc, a week or 2 after, so they can't have got any other 'evidence' since iuc. It's such a mess:-/

Hi Wizzer....really sorry to hear all you have gone through and all you are still be going through. Have they sent an overpayment letter to you? Sorry I did read through the post. Have they just asked for the overpayment to be paid back, or have you still to wait for a decision to be made...? Regarding caution etc? Understand you are appealing against the overpayment and I wish you well with that. Keep strong, for youself and your five lovely children...xxxx

He wasn't getting working tax credits before we moved in, he wasn't getting any sort of benefit. We only claimed together since 1st April. We had already moved in together wen I got the letter for iuc, a week or 2 after, so they can't have got any other 'evidence' since iuc. It's such a mess:-/

Well that helps, that he wasn't already getting tax credits.

Lee

They have sent an overpayment letter and sed over phone, that a decision hadnt been made in regards to penalty etc, b the council (hb) sed cos its so high 19k that it would prob go further. Yes am appealling against overpayment. I CANT pay it back, ive gone through all of this to be debt free, and now im in blimmin debt again grrrr i have so so upset about this, my partner is talking about maybe not being able to get married now (which he had a proposal lined up n is all ive ever dreamed) cos if im in this debt n we married, could they take his house etc, its just ruining my life. My man has sed he will stand by me through it all, and ive gotta fight all the way, and i will, but i just hate not knowing :-( this is killing me, this was meant to be my happy ever after....... :,(

They have sent an overpayment letter and sed over phone, that a decision hadnt been made in regards to penalty etc, b the council (hb) sed cos its so high 19k that it would prob go further. Yes am appealling against overpayment. I CANT pay it back, ive gone through all of this to be debt free, and now im in blimmin debt again grrrr i have so so upset about this, my partner is talking about maybe not being able to get married now (which he had a proposal lined up n is all ive ever dreamed) cos if im in this debt n we married, could they take his house etc, its just ruining my life. My man has sed he will stand by me through it all, and ive gotta fight all the way, and i will, but i just hate not knowing :-( this is killing me, this was meant to be my happy ever after....... :,(

As you still an undischarged bankrupt, ring your OR and explain all of this new debt of which you have only been made aware of. See if you can include into your bankruptcy......im think it is possible to do so but you dont know if you dont ask.

You havnt had the debt after your BR but leading upto it so it might be included

Ive been told by council guy who deals with bankruptcy etc that as i was made aware of debt after bankruptcy i.e. The decision wasnt made that i had the debt before feb, so i cant say i forgot :-/ i will def speak to OR i phoned but didnt get to speak to her, the guy i spoke to didnt sound to sure

Im really appreciate everyones advice, i truly do, im petrified! If they make me overpay, maybe i can go bankrupt again.... Can they take my bf's house? Arrrrgggghhhhh im just in such a state xxx

if the house is only in his name no they cant touch it, council guy is talking crap.....you had the debt or incurred the debt before you went BR.

even though you have only found out about it, he said that as he wants his money lol