• Tweets

• Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
    • Thanks Bank - I shall tweak my draft and repost. And here's today's ridiculous email from the P2G 'Claims Dept' Good Morning,  Thank you for you email. Unfortunately we would be unable to pay the amount advised in your previous email.  When you placed the order, you were asked for the value of your parcel, you stated that the value was £265.00. At this stage the booking advised that you were covered to £20.00 and to enhance this to £260.00 you could pay an extra £13.99 + VAT to fully cover your item for loss or damage during transit, you declined to fully cover your item.  Towards the end of your booking on the confirmation page, you were then offered to take cover again, to which you declined again.  Unfortunately, we would be unable to offer you an enhanced payment on this occasion.  If I can assist further, please do let me know.  Kindest Regards Claims Team and my response Good Afternoon  Do you not understand the court cases of PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729)? In both cases it was held by the courts that there was no need for additional ‘cover’ or ‘protection’ (or whatever you wish to call it) on top of the standard delivery charge, and P2G were required to pay up in full for both cases, which by then also included court costs and interest. I shall be including copies of both those judgements in the bundle I submit to the court next Wednesday 1 May, unless you settle my claim (£274.10) in full before then. Tick tock…..    
    • IMG_2820-IMG_2820-merged.pdfmerged.pdf Case management was this morning. Here is the Sheriff’s order. Moved case forward to 24/05.   He said there was no signed agreement and after a bit of “erm, erm, yeah but, erm” when he asked them, he allowed time for sol to contact claimant.  what is the next step now? thank you UCM  
    • I've had a quick (well, quick for a thread of this length),  read of this thread and to be honest I'm struggling to make heads nor tails of the actual crux of the issue here. You seem awfully convinced that whatever is going on is worth the fight and the odds are in your favour but with how the thread has gone it seems that one trail goes cold so you simply move on to another in an attempt to delay the inevitable. All it does is end up digging holes and confusing others and yourself which means any advice given to you is completely pointless. I note that for the life of this thread there has not been any documentation or correspondence uploaded for people to have a look. Have you got any that you'd be willing to redact and upload for members to assist you? Right now, it seems people are shooting out advice while being in the dark because it's starting to become very difficult for people who weren't here at the start of this (including myself) to follow along. Right now, this whole thread is just hypothetical "He said, she said" and is going nowhere fast. Nothing more than basic advice can be given which, as you've sought out some legal advice, is likely not sufficient to actually come to any sort of conclusion. I, personally, am starting to agree with others that it may be best to consider bankruptcy and put the matter behind you.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

URGENT: Lewis Group pretend to be balliff/debt collector money to stop action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm seriously considering giving a Debt Collector from the Lewis Group £122.00 to stop any action from the balliffs as I live with my parents and a Debt Collector called last week to do a pre warrant of execution meeting and my father came extremley close to a heart attack. The man said that if I paid him £122.00 that any balliff action would stop and my debt would be passed back to the solicitor.

I'm hoping to pay this ammount to get the balliffs of my back and to stop my father having a heart attack. I'm hoping that if I manage to get the balliff action to stop. I can buy myself time to make an application to vary the judgement. So I can pay my debt off at ammounts that I can afford.

I've already been told by the man who came to visit me that the company whom I took out the store card with have singled me out to make my life extremely misserable because I ignored thier letters and I said their agreement was unenforceable and they are standing their ground and will not take any ammount of money except the full ammount.

So I'm meeting him this week to hand over the £122.00. Am I doing the right thing. Or is this man leading me up the garden path? I'm really really hoping that if I pay up he will be true to his word and the balliff action will stop and I'll then get the time to do something about my debt.

I'm handing over the money at the end of the week because I don't want him calling again. This man did say if i did not pay this money that he would be returning and would make my parents pay the money and if no money is paid then the balliffs would come round. I don't really care if they do I have nothing for them to take. I'm getting them off my back for the sake of my sanity and my parents health. I don't want him taking things that don't belong to me and i know they do it and i don't want the stress put on my parents to try and get back what is theirs. I just want this leech of my back.

Edited by Nicola85

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nicola, can you give us more information. What is the debt for? When did you take out the loan? Have the bailiffs been inside your property? Did your 'visitor' ,I'm guessing he is debt collector, make an appointment with you?

Anything else you can think of, even the smallest thing can be relevant. In the meantime, don't panic someone with more knowledge than me will be along to help shortly.

hang on a minute here exactly who does this debt collector think he is he has no right to do a pre warrant of execution he is a debt collector not a bailiff and he is conning you in the hope you pay up tell him to sod off

If and i mean if a bailiff turns up at your parents home a statutory declaration confirming all goods of any any value belong to your dad will see him off

The debt is because of a Fraser storecard and the ammount now owing is £1200. The storecard was taken out around 2005. I have no idea if this man is a debt collector or a balliff I could not get him to tell me. It sounds like he would come back when the balliffs come round, so mabye he is both thoose things. I do know he is very uncooperative and unhelpful and always harrasing me for money. He made no appointment to visit me I had no idea my debt was with the lewis group. This man knows i'm sick and i live with my parents but I really don't think he gives a damn apart from trying to extract blood from a stone and making my life a misery.

As I said I don't want him visiting again. My fathers heart will just not take the strain of another visit and the only way I can get him to go away is to pay the money he wants.

I have no idea if this man is a debt collectorlink3.gif or a bailiff I could not get him to tell me. It sounds like he would come back when the bailiffs come round, so maybe he is both thoose things

He is a debt collector thats why he wont tell you anything

what is the name of the company he works for

As I said I don't want him visiting again. My fathers heart will just not take the strain of another visit and the only way I can get him to go away is to pay the money he wants.

there are template letters on here somewhere to send to the company he works for this will stop his door step visits

He works for the Lewis GROUP.

If I send him that letter will it keep him away? Or will he just ignore it and visit anyway?

He is a debt collector nothing more he has no more right to call on you than i have

i will ask site team to move your thread to the appropriate forum where you will get the best help

The templates are located here:-

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

Nicola85 here's the letter:-

Dear Sir or Madam,

Account Ref xxxx

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing. I have noted your repeated attempts to contact me by telephone over the past few weeks/months and these have been duly logged by time and date.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384

. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

there are template letters on here somewhere to send to the company he works for this will stop his door step visits
Edited by rebel11
  • Haha 1

Follow Hallowitch's advice. He is misrepresenting his powers. If he does turn up again, you could, if you were that way inclined, secretly record what he says, and wait for him to incriminate himself. Misrepresentation is a big no no.

Hi Nicola85

Here's some advise from the forum:-

If you do receive a doorstep visit we give these suggestions to Members.

Give them the template letter linked below through the letterbox or chained door.

http://www.consumerforums.com/resour...ep-visit-.html

Tell them to leave as you have nothing to discuss and all communication must be in writing.

Tell them you will call the police if they don't leave immediately.

Remain calm and polite at all times.

Walk away from the door so the visitor cannot try and talk to you.

If they don't leave, call the police to report that you are being harassed and the visitor refuses to leave.

If you are getting Harrased over the phone, there are also template letters that you can send.

Hi Nicola85

If you've got any Penalty Charges on that or any credit card account,

you can get those charges refunded with interest.

Thats any Penalty charges over the last 6 years.

All templates and spreadsheets are on this site.

And they state:

"Our doorstep collectors are local people and are highly trained in all aspects of face-to-face debt collection, particularly negotiation skills. They are all smartly dressed and carry official identification, with photograph, at all times. They abide by the strictest of Codes of Conduct and sign a formal agreement to that effect. All collectors are tightly monitored and controlled and subject to regular audits of their workload."

Time for complaints methinks. The one that comes needs lessons in Anglo Saxon sayings.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will print out that letter and at the end of the week instead of handing him the money I hand him the letter. I will do this I'm just so frightened of this man. If I gave him this letter whats to stop him coming round and demanding money again. He doesn't seem to care about anything else. He made no appointment to visit he has been misrepresenting himself he also told my father about my debt. Why would this letter stop him from visiting?

Edited by Nicola85

you don't give the letter to him you send it to lewis group

send it by e-mail and recorded delivery letter

Do Not be frightened by this man he holds no power over you part of his job is to intimidate and frighten you DO NOT allow this to happen

What a W*&@$r. As Hallow said he has no rights what so ever, and to pretend that he 'could be' a bailiff is just not right at all.

First off stop worrying and tell ya dad he can stop worrying too. Next time, if there is a next time he calls round tell him to F-off and never darken your door again. Paying him the £120 odd will not stop him from pestering you that will just be the start. He will keep coming back until he has what he wants. Debt collectors cannot instruct a bailiff to call until it has been to court any way and if that happens you will get a chance to have your say and work out an affordable payment plan. I doubt it will get that far anyway. The debt has obviously been bought and as it is nearing the 6 year statue barred deadline, they will try almost anything to get money out of you. If he comes knocking or calling again tell him to go away or you will call the police. But do write the letters that have been given out here. Im sure you will also get more help with this. Do please stay calm and tell your dad to as well his things are safe.

You probably need to have a look through this part of the site as well:

Debt Collection Industry - The Consumer Forums

In particular look through the stickies at the top of the page as this will give you an inkling of what they can and can't do. This one definitley has ideas above his station and is using intimidation to coerce you into complying - all totally against any Code of Practice or Guidelines.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nicola85,

Excellent hand him the letter instead of the money, tell him next time he calls, you will call the police immedately and lodge a formal complaint with them. You've got the law on your side.

I will print out that letter and at the end of the week instead of handing him the money I hand him the letter. I will do this I'm just so frightened of this man. If I gave him this letter whats to stop him coming round and demanding money again. He doesn't seem to care about anything else. He made no appointment to visit he has been misrepresenting himself. Why would this letter stop him from visiting?

Guest Mrs Hobbit

You do not pay this debt collector anything. he has to prove you owe this money. If he enters the property without invitation he is in breach of the TORT OF TRESPASS. Find out who he works for and print off the letter in the Library regarding Tort of Trespass. This is an offence. Contrary to popular belief, no one (except those designated by Act) has the right to enter your presmises without invitation. This is also harassment report this to the OFT immediately.

Please give us more information so we can give more detailed help.

I had visitors before I could post this, I see others have given invaluable advice

The only reason he is calling is because he knows you are frightend of him and he probably thinks you do not know your rights.

Tell him to go away and never to return. If he refuses then you have every right to call the police and get them to remove him. Dont be intimidated by this man at all , He has now special powers whatsoever. He is just hoping that you dont know your rights.

Also make a formal complaint about him to The Lewis Group.

hello all:-)

If you can, get some one to come round and sit with you on the day he has stated he is coming back. I would personally get as many people round as possible to stand behind you when you tell him to push off. He knows he has intimidated you and he will use that to his advantage to get you to pay up. I know it is easy for me to say this, but dont feel intimidated.. stand your ground. read up on your rights in here and dont let him talk you down. He is in the wrong NOT YOU!!!!

When and if he calls then you ask him to leave, hand him the letter in this thread above, if he refuses then call the police. Alternatively if you know a local copper then ask him/her to call this company to find out when they will be calling back as the police would like to be in attendance when he arrives.