ESA & disability etc

Mrs_Jeeps
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all, I posted this in the disability section here but didnt get a response so i'll chance my arm here if thats ok.

Just a few questions.

I'm employed but because I took a full 12 months maternity leave I wasn't entitled to ssp when the maternity leave ended so I had to claim ESA. As I was living with my parents at the time I was told that the job centre wanted to know what my parents earned etc as I lived there. Knowing full well this was a load of poo I claimed contribution based Esa so the only thing they would need to look into was whether I had paid enough cons. Which I had.

Anyway investigations showed that the chronic pain and illness I gave been suffering with over the last 6 years us ad result of the shape of my bowel. Currently I take various forms of morphine, fentanyl and oxycodone to control my pain. The nature of my illness also means that I can become incontinent.

Recently I've had my work capability test and I'm praying I pass although I don't hold out too much hope. Anyway, can someone tell me how many weeks I need to be in receipt of ESA due to illness before I qualify for the disabled tax credits? I'm sure I meet the other points for it.

Additionally as my capability test was carried out well over the 13 week assessment phase if (a big if) I do qualify for ESA support phase will they pay me the 30 odd quid top up from the 13 week point or just from the date of the assessment:)?

Thanks for all your help guys. Xxx

Hi, i'm sorry i don't know the answers but i'm sure someone nice will come along to provide them for you:D. it just might take a while.

Rbs £114 + contractual at 29.84% I won total=£125 no laughing it's a win

Don't moan about it DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT :D

Hi Mrs Jeeps

I Don't Know About The Disability Credit Thingy But With The Esa They Do Backdate It To When Your 13 Week Assessment Phase Is Up. I Just Recently Had My Medical (5 Weeks Ago) Had Letter Last Week To Say That I Was Being Put In Support Group And Also A Nice Lump Sum Which I Later Found Out Was Paid Because My Medical Was Due On The 19Th Feb But I Didn't Have It Til April 27Th So They Paid Me The Extra £30 A Week From 19th Feb. Hope That Makes Sense If I Doesn't I'm Sure Someone Will Be Along Who Can Explain It Better. Stupid Fibro Fog!!!!! lol x

Hi Mrs Jeeps

I Don't Know About The Disability Credit Thingy But With The Esa They Do Backdate It To When Your 13 Week Assessment Phase Is Up. I Just Recently Had My Medical (5 Weeks Ago) Had Letter Last Week To Say That I Was Being Put In Support Group And Also A Nice Lump Sum Which I Later Found Out Was Paid Because My Medical Was Due On The 19Th Feb But I Didn't Have It Til April 27Th So They Paid Me The Extra £30 A Week From 19th Feb. Hope That Makes Sense If I Doesn't I'm Sure Someone Will Be Along Who Can Explain It Better. Stupid Fibro Fog!!!!! lol x

Well done for 'passing'. I suffered from fibromyalgia up until I was 22ish and feel like I'm becoming symptomatic again of late. It sucks doesn't it chick. Poor you!

I hope the lump sum came in handy. Thanks so much for your reply Hun.

Xx

That's Ok Hun Find This Forum Really Helps And There Is Always Someone Who Can Help, Although The Explanation Might Be A Bit Long Winded (Like Mine) Lol But We Get There In The End. Fibro Really Does Suck But The Worst Part Is When People Go "But U Look Ok" That Sucks More. I've Forgotten What It's Like To Have A Day Without Pain And Live A "Normal Life". The Money Was Nice But I Don't Or Can't Go Anywhere To Spend It But At Least I'll Have Summat To Leave The Kids When I'm Gone Lol x x x

This was Meant In Jest at the end it actually says LOL The Extra money is needed and i do have carers coming in daily that i have to pay for, i'm very sorry if i offended anybody but making it seem like i am being ungrateful is wrong i should of thought before making a joke about something that everyone feels so strongly about. I find that not everyone seems to get my sense of humour sometimes.

Edited by InPain24/7
worded wrongly!!!!!!!

That's Ok Hun Find This Forum Really Helps And There Is Always Someone Who Can Help, Although The Explanation Might Be A Bit Long Winded (Like Mine) Lol But We Get There In The End. Fibro Really Does Suck But The Worst Part Is When People Go "But U Look Ok" That Sucks More. I've Forgotten What It's Like To Have A Day Without Pain And Live A "Normal Life". The Money Was Nice But I Don't Or Can't Go Anywhere To Spend It But At Least I'll Have Summat To Leave The Kids When I'm Gone Lol x x x

I get exactly the same 'you look ok'. I suffer from chronic pelvic pain and am currently off sick. I work in claimant litigation and so the morphine and other drugs mean I can't concentrate ATM not to mention the other issues which make leaving home impossible. I hope ESA people see sense.

How do you control your fibro? I was told I'd just have to 'manage' as I was only 17-18 when I got the diagnosis. How so they treat it nowdays? Xx

Hey Hun,

Was Told By Doc That It Can't Be Treated Only The Symptons Can (Whatever That Means) And Also Like U Said By Managing It. I'm On Painkillers (Not Very Strong Cos Have Probs With Kidneys So Have To Watch What I Take) Sleeping Pills (For Muscle Spasms/Restless Legs Etc) And They Recently Put Me On Gabapentin But Found It Made Me Hyperactive. I Really Don't Know How U Managed To Work I Have A Hard Enough Job Just Brushing My Blooming Hair So Well Done To You! x x x

Please excuse me I don't mean to sound nasty or anything I am confused as I would think you abviously fought tooth and nail to be able to get in the Support Group because it takes miracles to get there and you've abviously told the DWP you need that money for your care need and disability and yet when you've received the extra monies now you don't need it your are putting away for your children. So in what part was being in the Support group and having the extra money would help you with your care need. Some genuine people out there who are ill and genuinely need the extra money can't get anything and the ones that gets it don't need it.

I am not saying you are not ill nor are you not in pain but reading your post looks like you don't need the extra money hence this is the reasons a lot of people failed the get the Support they need. I pray the DWP don't come in forum like this and come across your post we would all be definitely doom though we are already doomed.

helen

I love a post which starts of I don't mean to be something then proceeds to be exactly that :rolleyes:

You know nothing about the posters situation or condition but are prepared to make sweeping accusations and judgement on the basis of one post on an internet forum.

Have you considered working for ATOS doing medical assessments as with that thinking and logic you'd fit right in ;)

I love a post which starts of I don't mean to be something then proceeds to be exactly that :rolleyes:

You know nothing about the posters situation or condition but are prepared to make sweeping accusations and judgement on the basis of one post on an internet forum.

Have you considered working for ATOS doing medical assessments as with that thinking and logic you'd fit right in ;)

Please read the original poster's message then read mine again, he/she indicated they will leave the money to his/her children when he/she gone when people apply for ESA it's because they have a disability and needs money for their care because of their illness in what part of the form there is mentioned about claiming ESA so you can leave the money for your children when they are gone. Get your fact right and read properly. I have an illness and has suffered like everyone elses and has been treated like a dog with ATOS I would like to help people that suffer the same fate as myself, I decided to sort myself out and get back to work because it's the best thing I could do beside the money I earn in a week exceeded 3 times the amount I would get if on ESA support group or dla I could turn my back and think well i earn good money sod it but no I am at the moment gettting as much information from people with disability so I and others can fight against ATOS and the DWP about the unfair treated sick people are having.

I cannot agree with the original about leaving the ESA support money to his/her children when there are those that genuinely need it to perhaps pay someone to help them.

Hi, Helen, I think 'inpain24/7' was talking about a lump sum of back pay.

I got some back pay when I won my tribunal and so will everyone else who has been waiting for longer than the 13 weeks assessment phase.

If 'inpain' has managed not to borrow or not get behind with their bills during their time when they should have been getting the extra money then good luck to them. If I was in that position I would treat myself a bit too.

Hi Helen. I'm sorry you're having problems, but I don't think squabbling amongst ourselves on this forum is going to be productive.

I think other caggers would agree that it's better to unite against Atos rather than start mudslinging here.

InPain, I don't mean to hijack your thread, sorry for the outburst.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Help. Last year i took ill in march and after many tests it was found that i have a heart condition which is a bit like angina but in the heart wall. I am on many medications and also oxygen daily.

I require help from my wife to get about up and down stairs, to put my shoes on when i am in pain, get medication when required GTN spray and oxygen (thats the short version)

I am only 31 years old and any physical or emotional stress brings on the pains and breathlessness, it got to the stage that i had to apply for ill health retirment from my works which i was granted.

I applied for ESA and after having my medical they have put me into a work related group. my local job centre said that my condition is too bad and i should have been put into the support group. so i have now sent in a appeal which they have told me is being processed and could take 50 days.

In the meantime i have a work health related appointment with ATOS, i have phoned them and told them that i have appealed the decision that dwp had made, as its not possible for me to work as any movement even standing can cause pains (infact just sitting still can trigger the breathlessness and pain).

I have had my doctors full backing and he said that work should be advoided and i should not be put under any stress as it will make my conditon worse.

Atos don't seem to care they just keep saying if i dont attend the appointment i will lose my benifits. I asked if the appointment could be put off until a my appeal has been decided as if they put me into the support group i would not need this appointment anyway. but Atos just say the same thing that my benefits will stop.

To attend the appointment, i would be required to:

Take more medication than perscribed just so im not in pain for the journey. (this puts me over the maxium dose of medication, and would be classed as a self overdose)

I would need my wife to drive me and carry my oxygen to the building which means stopping outside the building which is a busy town on a roundabout just so its close enough for me to reach the building. she would then had to park as quick as possible then rush back to me incase i need her support with my medication or moving my oxygen etc..

The oxygen i carry with me only lasts one hour, the journey to the building is 20 to 30mins so if i need my oxygen while im out i will be limited on how much i can use it.

This again puts me at risk as the heart is not getting enough oxygen.

Can they force me to go?

Can they stop my benefits?

Can i request they change the date for a later date until the appeal is completed?

What else can i do?

Thank you for your time and help.

The Money Was Nice But I Don't Or Can't Go Anywhere To Spend It But At Least I'll Have Summat To Leave The Kids When I'm Gone

Lump sums or not it is for their care needs. I am not here to be nasty to people and i'm very aware how people suffers in the hand of ATOS and DWP I myself had that's the reasons there are myself and a group of others trying to help vulnerable people who is suffering in the hands of ATOS and DWP. But can anyone honesly tell me if ATOS and the DWP comes across such a post they will agree that it is ok for that person to leave their money to their children in what part I repeat does the money helping them with their care needs. Please read and understand the real reason a person apply for ESA. Alas! if that person decides to give their ESA money to their children shouldn't they keep it private instead of flashing it across the forums giving ATOS and DWP more reasons and that includes all who replied to my message to make us suffer. One forum has had to close down because of such a thread. Do you people want to get the money you are intitled to or do you want to give ATOS and the DWP reasons to stop people from getting what they are entitled to. I am sure if anyone spend their lump sums on holiday or giving it away their benefit if ATOS heard of it their benefit will stop there are those that went abroad claimning dla and esa has been caught out don't make us criminal or give others reasons to call us scroungers and liars some need that money for real care needs. that person obviously don't need that extra £30 being ESA Support group if the money is stashing away for her children. Please be realistic.

@ lifehappens:

Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity, but how did you manage re. attending the med centre for the first (WCA) exam?

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

@ lifehappens

I applied for ESA and after having my medical they have put me into a work related group. my local job centre said that my condition is too bad and i should have been put into the support group. so i have now sent in a appeal which they have told me is being processed and could take 50 days.

In the meantime i have a work health related appointment with ATOS, i have phoned them and told them that i have appealed the decision that dwp had made, as its not possible for me to work as any movement even standing can cause pains (infact just sitting still can trigger the breathlessness and pain).

This is it where is justice you should be in the Support Group and they put you in the work related group which means you would have to be still looking for work at some point. Please get as much help as you can and write to your MP it is barbaric the way you are being treated this must stop happening to very sick and vulnerable people.

I wish you all the best and hope you get what you need.

Please read the original poster's message then read mine again, he/she indicated they will leave the money to his/her children when he/she gone when people apply for ESA it's because they have a disability and needs money for their care because of their illness in what part of the form there is mentioned about claiming ESA so you can leave the money for your children when they are gone. Get your fact right and read properly. I have an illness and has suffered like everyone elses and has been treated like a dog with ATOS I would like to help people that suffer the same fate as myself, I decided to sort myself out and get back to work because it's the best thing I could do beside the money I earn in a week exceeded 3 times the amount I would get if on ESA support group or dla I could turn my back and think well i earn good money sod it but no I am at the moment gettting as much information from people with disability so I and others can fight against ATOS and the DWP about the unfair treated sick people are having.

I cannot agree with the original about leaving the ESA support money to his/her children when there are those that genuinely need it to perhaps pay someone to help them.

I would go along with the comments already made. It is fruitless to argue amongst ourselves - we should be using what energy we have to fight for the justice we so rightly deserve!!

I will mention a comment made by someone from the DWP when asked if the 'lump sum' was treated as capital or income for means tested benefit purposes. The answer was given without hesitation in that it would be treated as capital NOT income. The explanation given to me was that as I would have managed for upwards of 9 months on the Assessment Rate - pending appeal, this lump sum would be something 'extra' and not needed to support your lifestyle!!!!

So the DWP think that the lump sum is a 'bonus' given that I would have survived the period leading up to receiving it.

So whether you have a holiday, buy clothes etc, it is the DWP's opinion that it has little to do with living costs incurred in that earlier period.

Hi, Helen, I think 'inpain24/7' was talking about a lump sum of back pay.

I got some back pay when I won my tribunal and so will everyone else who has been waiting for longer than the 13 weeks assessment phase.

If 'inpain' has managed not to borrow or not get behind with their bills during their time when they should have been getting the extra money then good luck to them. If I was in that position I would treat myself a bit too.

It is good luck to them I agree but the lump sums are not being use for the purpose of applying for esa it's being spend elsewhere or put away for their children like I say it's all too well doing that good for you if you do but do not flash it across the internet incase ATOS and DWP be made aware of this happening am not correct that then other genuine people who do needs the money to pay for someone for their care need will suffer and get nothing.

Helen, I think that the money is actually for living expenses and not care needs. You would'nt get a lot of car for £30 a week. There are benefits to pay for care.

I was put in the work related group and now recieve extra money but its not to pay for someone to care for me.

If some one is actually put in the support group then they must be able to prove their illness because we all know how hard it is to be put in either group.

It is good luck to them I agree but the lump sums are not being use for the purpose of applying for esa it's being spend elsewhere or put away for their children like I say it's all too well doing that good for you if you do but do not flash it across the internet incase ATOS and DWP be made aware of this happening am not correct that then other genuine people who do needs the money to pay for someone for their care need will suffer and get nothing.

Helen, this is getting silly now, care needs have nothing whatsoever to do with the extra money. The extra for being in either of the two groups is for 'living costs'. And as for 'flashing it across the internet' you only have to view the Jeremy Kyle television show to realise what people DO sometimes spend the money on. Alcohol, drugs, betting, etc etc. That programme would certainly reach the DWP's attention. The DWP know what is happening, but cannot do anything about it unless each and every one of us is subject to a means test of actual living costs - some would get more than others!!! Would you agree to that?

Helen, try to lighten up a bit and fix your apparent "humour by-pass".

Not only have you completely misunderstood "InPain" but you have done a diservice by selectively editing the quote, which should be as follows:

The Money Was Nice But I Don't Or Can't Go Anywhere To Spend It But At Least I'll Have Summat To Leave The Kids When I'm Gone Lol
Lol as in "laughs out loud", i.e. it was said as a joke.

As to misuse of support money, as cbbc points out, the cash shortfall pending a successful appeal can lead to deprivation and debt, if I were in that position myself I'd barely get by, worn out shoes and clothing or fixing/replacing worn out items would be postponed. This is more likely how InPain will be using the back-date which was after all an entitlement that ought to have been paid from week 13 as winning the tribunal confirms.

Also, even the DWP themselves do not presume to tell anyone how they are to spend their benefits, so who are you to get on your soapbox and criticise. Are we to infer that you support the bigoted idea of giving "food stamps" and vouchers rather than money thus thereby stigmatising the poor and the vulnerable even more and denying them free will.

If anyone from the DWP or Atos reads this thread it's unlikely that they'll draw the same inferences which you have.

If you didn't get it that InPain was making a joke thats too bad, if you've made a hole for yourself the best course is to stop digging any further and admit your mistake.

Regards,

Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

I'm spending my ESA/DLA windfall on cheep floozies and gin!!!!!

If there's any left I'm sponsoring some penguins \o/

@ lifehapperns see this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/261056-letter-atos-arrange-medical.html

Also this thread is getting very of topic and confusing you will get a better response by starting your own thread

Please excuse me I don't mean to sound nasty or anything I am confused as I would think you abviously fought tooth and nail to be able to get in the Support Group because it takes miracles to get there and you've abviously told the DWP you need that money for your care need and disability and yet when you've received the extra monies now you don't need it your are putting away for your children. So in what part was being in the Support group and having the extra money would help you with your care need. Some genuine people out there who are ill and genuinely need the extra money can't get anything and the ones that gets it don't need it.

I am not saying you are not ill nor are you not in pain but reading your post looks like you don't need the extra money hence this is the reasons a lot of people failed the get the Support they need. I pray the DWP don't come in forum like this and come across your post we would all be definitely doom though we are already doomed.

helen

It Was The Lump sum That I Have Put Away For My Children, The extra money i get weekly goes towards paying for my care daily. I Have problems with my kidneys and felt that my children are so young that god forbid should anything happen to me There was money there for them to be taken away for a week or two. Nowhere does it state that i cannot save that backpay that i had and i actually find it quite upsetting that u would judge me on a comment that was made in jest.

I Am In this forum for the same reason as you and that is although i may have "got through" to the support group i still want to help people try to understand the way the whole esa /atos medical thingy works cos i spent months myself worrying about what would happen. But Like I said in my original posting I am sorry for offending anyone that was never my intention.

InPain, I'm not offended, for one.

I notice Helen has left the forum now, but I'm sad that she feels the need to pillory other caggers. She has received a lot of help from the forum and it's a shame to see this.

Helen, if you have problems of your own you'd like to discuss, perhaps you should add them to one of your threads?

HB x

Edited by honeybee13
repetition.

Illegitimi non carborundum

@ lifehappens

This is it where is justice you should be in the Support Group and they put you in the work related group which means you would have to be still looking for work at some point. Please get as much help as you can and write to your MP it is barbaric the way you are being treated this must stop happening to very sick and vulnerable people.

I wish you all the best and hope you get what you need.

Thank you for your support