For all those struggling on IS,IB,ESA & other means tested benefits

Mr lex
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A very usefull post Simon :)

Has anyone else tried this, if so, I'll make it a 'sticky'

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have just had my first electricity bill since I switched it is for the last 3 months. This time last year with EDF I was charged £323 for this 3 month period. With British Gas on their Essentials tariff for the sam quarter and having used the same amount of electric within 15kwh (talk about consistency) my bill has come in at £234.

That is £89 cheaper, just for switching! The overall effect is EDF were charging me £95 a month, British Gas £74 and looking at the figures that is going to be too much, as £74 has matched our usage during the heaviest quarter.

If you are not on a social tariff, at least check it out! To give you an idea, we have all electric storage heating, so it heats up over night. Have a look at your night rate per unit price. I pay 2.479p now for my night usage. That in itself is 60% cheaper than the EDF Essentials Social Tariff.

Sorry to harp on and bore you all to tears but if you are on benefits, your money is usually tight, so why not shop around for the best gas or electric deals, you can save a fortune, I am £21 a month better off already.

Make your money go further!

Simon

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

Here's a question;

How many of you on here, that are on benefits or low incomes are actually on or know about Social Tariffs for utility companies?

Answers underneath please

A lot more will now Simon, I'm going to 'Stick' this thread. ;)

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I know about them but cant have one because EON dont have such a tariff :mad::mad::mad:

Coupled with being on pre-payment meter, I think I'm shafted whichever way I turn :eek:

I know about them but cant have one because EON dont have such a tariff :mad::mad::mad:

Coupled with being on pre-payment meter, I think I'm shafted whichever way I turn :eek:

MKB have you rung them to ask? The big six are all supposed to have social tariffs available, they probably don't advertise it if they do.

If not switch your supplier, just because you have a prepayment meter does not mean you can't have a social tariff. Some of the electric and gas companies work it slightly differently. Instead of you paying less, they give you free amounts to use during the winter, this is automatically added at the point of sale, so when you charge your key/card.

Don't be put off just because you are on a prepayment meter, it doesn't stop you!:)

We have pre-payment meters cos we got into arrears so cant change supplier.

I asked EON about social tariffs and they said that they dont have them yet but hope to in the future :(

We have pre-payment meters cos we got into arrears so cant change supplier.

I asked EON about social tariffs and they said that they dont have them yet but hope to in the future :(

This is unfortunately where the energy companies have people over a barrel, they won't let you switch when you owe them money.

What you could do is apply to one of the trust funds for a grant to help you with your arrears, it does work. I went through the EDF Energy Trust, you do not have to be an EDF customer, so you could apply to them. I never expected to get anything and they credited my electricity account with £554. You could also google utility trust funds or energy trust funds and see what other ones are available.

The form is quite intrusive into your finances but then you are asking for financial help, so I think it is only fair. Let me know how you get on and if you need any help or anything and if I can I will.

This has to be something of a first............. A LFC supporter trying to help a MUFC supporter:eek::razz:

This is unfortunately where the energy companies have people over a barrel, they won't let you switch when you owe them money.

What you could do is apply to one of the trust funds for a grant to help you with your arrears, it does work. I went through the EDF Energy Trust, you do not have to be an EDF customer, so you could apply to them. I never expected to get anything and they credited my electricity account with £554. You could also google utility trust funds or energy trust funds and see what other ones are available.

The form is quite intrusive into your finances but then you are asking for financial help, so I think it is only fair. Let me know how you get on and if you need any help or anything and if I can I will.

That is a very good idea and i will defo look into it, thank you.

This has to be something of a first............. A LFC supporter trying to help a MUFC supporter:eek::razz:

Hehehehehe a first indeed :D

• Haha 1

This has to be something of a first............. A LFC supporter trying to help a MUFC supporter:shock::razz:

At the end of the day, we are consumers helping consumers, well done guys :)

&

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to point out that a social energy tariff my not be the cheapest available.

The cheapest tend to be online managed only accounts, coupled with payment by direct debt.

You can also gain extra cash back when changing supplier by going through some switching/comparison sites and also quidco and topcashback.

Always read and follow to the letter the conditions to get the cash back and also be wary of terms of the energy companies contracts for leaving penalties, minimum contract lenght and automatic renewal of terms when the deal ends.

I called British Gas and Scottish Power to ask why my bills were so high. I went from £8 a week electricity to £20 and gas from around the same amount. Told them I was on benefit and 60% of my income was going on heating and electricity and asked them about this social tarrif and they both told me that they no longer do it, and if they did, I wouldn't qualify for it anyway, as I'm under 60. Since then, I've struggled really badly to keep my house warm, especially through the winter, and owe family and friends a hell of a lot of money I had to borrow to pay for gas and electricity.

Hi Skonk,

Have you tried any of the other providers ?? i.e. EDF etc.

Anfield hey !! Do you know of Dean Rd ?? My place of birth long before I moved down to the west country !!

Lex

&

Dean Road is just down the road from where I live about 300 yards or so.

Skonk

I have just been on the British Gas website, they do still offer a social tariff, it is called the Essentials Tariff. There are 3 different support packages depending on your circumstances and freephone numbers for each. I just searched for Essentials tariff on their website.

Essentials Programme Gas and Electricity - British Gas

I hope this link works for you. Let us know how you get on.

Re the Home Access Programme

It definately works, my daughter got her new laptop about 3 weeks ago. It is worth looking at the online suppliers that you get the details of from Home Access. You get a much better deal, I got a far better laptop than Comet offered, it came with loads of extras and a FREE printer to boot. I odered it on Thursday at 2pm online, it arrived at 10.30am the next morning!!!

Beware of EDF's Social Tariff, there standard tariff is actually cheaper. I left EDF for that reason.

Thanks Simon, I'll look into that!

Mr Lex, yes, I know Dean Road well! I went to Brae Street infants as a kid in the 70's. Friend of mine still lives in Brae Street. Great days, but these days, it's not a nice place to live, I'm afraid.

---------------- Now playing: Anthrax/Gene Simmons/Kiss/Paul Stanley - Love Her All I Can via FoxyTunes

Dean Rd's in Scarborough now :eek:, it used to be between Prescot Rd and 'Kenny'

I knew things must have changed a bit, but hell not that much :D

Good advice there from Simon :)

&

Scottish power told me I should ask the benefits office to pay for my electricity from my benefits. The scheme is called, "Fuel Direct".

I'm pretty sure I'll have to change from the direct debit plan I am on first.

Anyone used the scheme?

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.

If I were you, unless you have difficulty maintaining your direct debit and having the money in your account to pay it, I would not use that method for payment. All it does is have the money taken at source and paid to your energy provider. I am not 100% sure but I believe if you do that, your provider can vary the amount, ie. implement an increase in your weekly/monthly payment without your explicit consent. All they have to do is inform you in writing.

If you are not on a social tariff, your best bet is to ask about your providers social tariff and if they don't operate one, switch to a provider that does. British Gas is the cheapest one out there at present, to the best of my knowledge. Hope this helps.

They told me that the benefits office decide how much I can pay. I tend to believe this because my son fell behind with his court fine and benefits said that they can only take a fiver a week off him by law.

Not quite the same thing I know because the fine is finite and bills keep on going.

Benefits rules are complex, and although I do try to inform and support people, I may get it wrong because the rules apply to individual claimants and their particular circumstances.

PS. I won't be able to maintain the direct debit in a few months so I need to act.