Provisional license no longer valid as I.D..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband, who's 26, tried to buy alcohol today in Spar, and when he was I.D'd he showed them his provisional driving license and they wouldn't accept it. They said there's a new law that says you can't use a provisional license as I.D. Since when??

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

New laws introduced in September means a provisional licence is no longer a valid form of ID.

So I read :rolleyes:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

My husband, who's 26, tried to buy alcohol today in Spar, and when he was I.D'd he showed them his provisional driving license and they wouldn't accept it. They said there's a new law that says you can't use a provisional license as I.D. Since when??

I really dont understand this, its the same as a full licence if its a photocard one ! its a "licence" just not a "full entitlement" licence.

Unless its down to the amount of Fake ones in circ ! (there are sites that offer exact fakes for "non official use" etc)

I really dont understand this, its the same as a full licence if its a photocard one ! its a "licence" just not a "full entitlement" licence.

Unless its down to the amount of Fake ones in circ ! (there are sites that offer exact fakes for "non official use" etc)

Call me a cynic but The Government are trying to introduce ID cards, is it just coincidence that when they downgraded them from compulsory to voluntary they also changed a lot of what is acceptable as proof of ID?

Mossy

Call me a cynic but The Government are trying to introduce ID cards, is it just coincidence that when they downgraded them from compulsory to voluntary they also changed a lot of what is acceptable as proof of ID?

Mossy

Now you raise that Mossy, makes sense to me ! Remove what people currently use, to swade them towards what they puppet masters want ! :mad:

Now you raise that Mossy, makes sense to me ! Remove what people currently use, to swade them towards what they puppet masters want ! :mad:

And have you also noticed the number of products that ID is required before you can buy has risen as well

Like I said call me a cynic but I think this is compulsion by the back door

Mossy

What a store must accept as valid ID for the sale of alcohol is not set down in law, not insofar as the licensing act is concerned. The Licensing acts merely state what documents could be used in defence, in the event a person is charged with the sale of alcohol to a minor. The 2003 act states:

(1) A person commits an offence if he sells alcohol to an individual aged under 18.

(2) A club commits an offence if alcohol is supplied by it or on its behalf—

(a) to, or to the order of, a member of the club who is aged under 18, or

(b) to the order of a member of the club, to an individual who is aged under 18.

(3) A person commits an offence if he supplies alcohol on behalf of a club—

(a) to, or to the order of, a member of the club who is aged under 18, or

(b) to the order of a member of the club, to an individual who is aged under 18.

(4) Where a person is charged with an offence under this section by reason of his own conduct it is a defence that—

(a) he believed that the individual was aged 18 or over, and

(b) either—

(i) he had taken all reasonable steps to establish the individual’s age, or

(ii) nobody could reasonably have suspected from the individual’s appearance that he was aged under 18.

(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), a person is treated as having taken all reasonable steps to establish an individual’s age if—

(a) he asked the individual for evidence of his age, and

(b) the evidence would have convinced a reasonable person.

The Licencing (Scotland) Act 2005 states:

Sale of alcohol to a child or young person

(1) A person who sells alcohol to a child or a young person commits an offence.

(2) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) (referred to in this section as “the accused”) to show that—

(a) the accused believed the child or young person to be aged 18 or over, and

(b) either—

(i) the accused had taken reasonable steps to establish the child’s or young person’s age, or

(ii) no reasonable person could have suspected from the child’s or young person’s appearance that the child or young person was aged under 18.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (2)(b)(i), the accused is to be treated as having taken reasonable steps to establish the child’s or young person’s age if and only if—

(a) the accused was shown any of the documents mentioned in subsection (4), and

(b) that document would have convinced a reasonable person.

(4) The documents referred to in subsection (3)(a) are any document bearing to be—

(a) a passport,

(b) a European Union photocard driving licence, or

© such other document, or a document of such other description, as may be prescribed.

I know a great many places don't accept the provisional driving license as proof of ID. I don't know why, but if they state that a "new law has been introduced" I'd call their bluff and ask what law this is. Perhaps there is a policy but I haven't heard of a law - these sorts of things pertaining to the sale of alcohol are usually well publicised.

Although that wouldn't change anything as stores are not obliged to sell anyone anything. I'd be interested if there is a new law....I can't find anything and I've done a search of all laws introduced in 2009 (there are 3,399 SI's alone introduced this year! :eek:) and can't find anything about a new law pertaining to the validity of ID.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

d.

I'd be interested if there is a new law....I can't find anything and I've done a search of all laws introduced in 2009 (there are 3,399 SI's alone introduced this year! :eek:) and can't find anything about a new law pertaining to the validity of ID.

So what your saying is, I'm talking garbage, again :eek::p

I could'nt find it either, Erika. Can't remember where I read it :rolleyes:

It's an age thing ;)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

So what your saying is, I'm talking garbage, again :eek::p

I could'nt find it either, Erika. Can't remember where I read it :rolleyes:

It's an age thing ;)

Nah, you're not talking garbage ya great big daftie! :) I read it too. Someone posted it on an internet site which asked the same question DBC asked, but the responder didn't link to any legislation to back it up. Someone also said on another internet site that the Licensing Act 2003 outlawed provisionals as a valid form of ID. But it doesn't stipulate any such thing. It doesn't mention provisionals at all. That's why I did a search of all introductions in 2009, in case there was an amendment but couldn't find one in regard to this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

erica

can you give a link where i can view these new laws that no one gets to know about

Yep if you go to the OoPSI website, and use the links on the left hand side of the page. If you are looking for a particular piece of legislation and know the same of the Act or SI and what year it was made (not the year it gained Royal Assent), sometimes it's quicker to use the search box on the right hand side.

Erika beat me!

If anyone out there is really really interested in acts etc, then there is a service (subscription im afraid) called Halsbury's laws of england. Its lists all Acts and statutory instruments and gives a detailed breakdown of them, including examples of how the courts have applied each section etc etc.