Totally Lost and In trouble. Debt Managers and Barclays

ashbash
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello I'm a little confused.

Which part can't you believe? I didnt come on the forum for people to start saying its flannel and impossible and unbelievable!!! Sorry if it sounds so incredible and flannel and unbelievable but it has happened and I am in the very middle of it suffering ALL of it has happened!

I just needed some advice and a little help but it seems thats not going to happen.

The bank is Barclays and if you ever get into a situation like this you will see they don't give two hoots about your position.

I don't know how they did or how the bank gave me the money they did and NO I didnt have a 5k overdraft imit as I've explained earlier I had £200 I have £500 in my account when I withdrew the money. I don't know about cheques I have not seen any I dont know about cash being deposited because they told me they had done it

SO please please can you stop assuming that it is not true and some of it has not happened because all of it has exactly as I have told you.

I just need help and if it's nt possible then I'll just go and do a DRO and see if I can carry on with my degree. Thank you everybody who has been supportive and helpful sorry to sound so horrible but I'm feeling lke its the end everything for me before anything has started.

The police can't do anything! They just said I will go to court as an offender and be used as a witness against these people and in the end they will probably get away with it as it is my word against theirs and I will end up having to pay everything back anyway, so why should I have to go through all that just to be where I am now?

Never mind sorry for posting on your forum thank you anyway

ashbash when you've been on this forum a litlle longer you will realise that some problems turn into a debate at times. People are only trying to determine how this has happened & as with most scams the methods used can be unbelievable.

To be honest I find it incredulous that a bank would allow the withdrawal of £5K cash without some form of check being carried out, especially on a student a/c & particularly when a similar amount had been withdrawn recently. I find it even more alarming that the Police are taking the attitude they are, after all in the circumstances you are the victim of the fraud. As for you being prosecuted I cannot believe that because in order for that to happen your bank would have to make a complaint against you.

I think you should really seek professional legal advice, you can get this free and should ask through your Student Union office, alternatively you could make an appointment through the Law Centre Law Centres There is also a link to the college-of-law in my signature who may be able to help.

ashbash - I think what we are trying to understand is how the bank has left you high and dry when there should be no way you could have withdrawn money that 1. didn't exist and 2. put you well over any agreed limit.

Sorry if some of the questions make you feel like your being doubted (it is certainly not my intention), but the more info we can extract the more chance there is of giving the best advice in how to resolve this.

regards

BSC

I too am astonished by the reaction of the police. I really think it may be worth another approach, as I suspect you may have just got a bad officer. It would certainly make for an interesting trial if the victim of a crime were to be prosecuted for it, but I honestly don't think it would ever come to that, or that you would be arrested.

It would certainly help see off any creditors if you had a crime number.

Sorry.

But Ashbash is talking rubbish.

My sister is a cashier for Barclays in a large branch

I asked her about this and showed her this thread.

She said first of all even big branches like Birmingham City wouldnt be able to give 10k without any notice.

Also if a withdrawal had been made earlier a manager would have to countersigh this and make a note on a form which was kept on file.

It would also generate a call to risk.

Sorry to dampen this.

• Haha 1

ashbash - to clarify

in post number 28 you said "anyway I went to the bank closest to me a different branch and withdrew it"

Do you mean a different branch of Barclays or a different bank altogether?

No it was a Barclays just a different branch from the previous one. A i dnd i've even spoke to the fraud team in the bank, they responded go to the police.

Sorry i'm not entirely comfortable posting the crime number here.

dont worry about the guy who keeps saying troll, he just craves attention.

Anyway as it seems impossible to believe I'll just carry on it's ok.

No it was a Barclays just a different branch from the previous one. A i dnd i've even spoke to the fraud team in the bank, they responded go to the police.

Sorry again this isnt going to be allowed to happen.

Again this is directly from the horses mouth. If large funds had been deposited in to barclays non business account then it simply would be possible to do these two withdrawals.

This prevented by money laundering systems and detection.

No i do not crave attention but unfortunately you are not telling the truth. Ill leave the rest of you to be drawn in.....

Ash, if you really can't speak to your parents about this please try and find an older friend, relative, student counsellor, who will go to the police with you. If you were my daughter I'd be going straight to the police station and asking what on earth they were doing if they were refusing to take action against the people involved in this.

I agree with desperate daniella,

sorry ashbash, but you were led by greed. I dont mean to be harsh. BUt we all make dumb mistakes, but the fault is not yours. If i went to my bank today and demanded even £1500 they would chuck me out. Ive always been told by the banks that the money has to clear first. The bank is at fault and should pay.

Actually I got the impression that Ashbash thought she was helping a supposed friend, rather than for personal gain. Be that as it may, I agree with Pinky, it would be helpful if we could have the story in more detail, it's a bit incoherent in places, and it will help us to help you.

no one is asking you too post the crime number and you shouldnt, what people are saying is that if the police have given you a crime number then you can pass that on to the creditors as it is now a police matter, if the police as you say are going to charge you with the crime you certainly would not be given a crime number this is given only to the victims, which you are..

i am also finding this story strange, I deposited 5000 into my daughters account after a house sale and barclays immediately suspended the account until we could show them where the money came from...any large amount is now flagged up because of proceeds of crime bill, withdrawing 10,000 would almost certainly flag up at any branch immediately

Direct quote from a Barclays manager :

"1) It is possible to debit an account for cash with no funds there. It would, however, require a manager's over ride to do it, and I sincerely doubt any manager of any level in a branch is going to expose themselves to a potential loss of £5,000 for a student.

2) Students can't clear against uncleared effects of £5,000 - the most they could is £1,000, and that would be on the basis of having previous history with us, etc.

3) Branches are very, very tight on holding money. They're unlikely to have £10,000 hanging around, and if they did...

4) They'd require it to be ordered...

5) They'd have to check entries and query why he was making two large withdrawals in one day (immediate fraud risk)...

6) They'd make sure it was drawing on cleared funds.

I don't doubt that such a story could happen - various AFF, 419 scams still go on - but certainly not for these amounts. If it was, it would be picked up somewhere and a case started by either Falcons (internal team dealing with high risk and application/detect fraud) or a Network Fraud Management Team. In which case your guy will have a reference number to show for his conversations with them. In this scenario, however, they'd likely move to close the accounts and write the funds off (we're insured for fraud losses, obviously).

To many holes in this storry"

Edited by phil_nottingham

I'd agree with almost all of that, Phil. A friend of mine tried to cash about £800 on a Friday afternoon and couldn't because the funds had already been sent off/put in the safe, whatever.

The only exception I know of is Central-ish London branches which almost always will let you cash thousands without notice if they know you, and also, of course, if they check that the funds are there. :) Probably Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh, etc., branches may do the same.

DD

It's not true to say a bank doesn't hold more than £10000 in cash - that's ridiculous. In any case, Ash states that she went to two different branches. Then there is the possibility of an account being hacked into online and being made to show a false balance - we simply do not know the details. It isn't helpful to project what might have happened or the policy of a certain bank. In my view it is better for us to listen to Ash and I fear she may have already gone with the attacks on her. This may be one young lady in deep trouble and CAG may not be able to help her because when she came on she was put down. Shame. There is always a smartar*e who knows better than everyone else and they usually have just appeared on the horizon.

I think it a shame that Ash may have gone away. This forum is here to help. That said, I never felt we got the full story (nor was what we did get artiulated particularly well) and each post seemed to raise more issues than it answered. TO really understand the sequence of events, Ash (if stil around) needs to do a step by by step chronology of events (leaving nothing out).

This is not the usual issue raised on this forum and all the CAGGERS are doing is just applying logic and commonsense. And on that basis, the story, as told, just does not apprear to add up. I am not saying she was not the victim of fraud, nor that it could not have happened. However, if she needs help here she needs to be much more forthcoming.