outrage over new bank charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

well that explains it bookie

they know at the bnp how to push the right buttons

thing is

is it true or all crap

Well, it's a worry when you have to look to the Mail for a more balanced view, but if you read the link YB provided, it will give you a closer account to the facts.

Yes, they are sharia accounts, yes, they operate differently from non-sharia, but you can say the same about the super-rich people's accounts, I bet they don't incur the same charges regime as we do, etc, etc...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maybe they are the same ..

but you should not make ref: to the bnp on here ...

why even bring them into it ..

They aren't the same because I was checked the wording.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Well, it's a worry when you have to look to the Mail for a more balanced view, but if you read the link YB provided, it will give you a closer account to the facts.

Yes, they are sharia accounts, yes, they operate differently from non-sharia, but you can say the same about the super-rich people's accounts, I bet they don't incur the same charges regime as we do, etc, etc...

do yourself a favor ..copy n past the Daily Mail Daily Mail article

your find that it is the very same article i posted

I don't think it's got anything to do with racism. It's about religion. Why should banks charge less for Muslims than for Catholics, Jews, Quakers, Hindus, Seventh Day Adventists, or any other religion? As Aequitas says, when someone applies to come to Britain their religion is not taken into consideration, so why are banks taking it into consideration?

Actually it's a cynical market exercise by the banks to attract new customers, and that's why I think it's certainly worth as many people as possible applying for Muslim accounts. We should all be treated the same, and pay the same.

Going off slightly at a tangent, during the Second World War when the Germans invaded Denmark, they demanded that all Jews wore armbands to identify themselves (can't remember the exact details - yellow, star of David, ??) the Danish King decreed ALL DANES should wear the armbands. In other words everyone would be treated the same.

We should all be treated the same by the banks.

Indeed. The Mail article (which I read earlier on this morning on the site) doesn't start with the same highly inflammatory opening of "anti-British discrimination"...

Edit: that was in reply to YB, but it fits equally as a reply to Spark's.

well those accounts are off shore for the very rich and most are uk operated for super rich peole

look how say the jewish faith operates

most of that is by a shake of a hand and funds transfer

why are they not offering jewish faith accounts

thats just an example

there are arabic banks in the uk who are more than happy with uk law

chineses banks

they accept the laws of this country

the point i am making is we are stuffed by these charges why should a perticular faith be treated any different

Indeed. The Mail article (which I read earlier on this morning on the site) doesn't start with the same highly inflammatory opening of "anti-British discrimination"...

Edit: that was in reply to YB, but it fits equally as a reply to Spark's.

i go with Desperate Daniella view nothing wot so ever to do with racism

lets get this right and call me a racist if you want

i dont care

there is only one law in this country

its called the houses of parliment and the house of lords

we cut off a kings head for these rights

how dare any company bring in this sharia law which by any standards is barbaric

public stoning and beheading for instance

how is the goverment etc allowing this

this is europe, not the middle east

the rule of law as laid down by magna carter is for every one

all faiths

we are now becomming a split society thanks to the pc brigade

this has to stop

I fear your notions are entirely misconceived. However, you are right in one thing, even if it ignores the minor inconvenience that different systems of law apply according to which part of the UK you are in:

there is only one law in this country

The simple fact is that the writ of Sharia law does not run in the UK. It is certainly the case that no Moslem who commits a crime can chose to be tried according to the Sharia.

However, the parties to a contract or a dispute are entirely free to chose the system of law which is to apply and also who is to settle the dispute. So, if the parties agree that a matter should be settled in a particular way, the British courts will, if satisfied that the decision has been reached in a proper manner, enforce the decision. It is though only the Court that has the power to enforce the decision, not the person or body that made it. The rule of law is preserved.

People worried about Moslems resorting to Islamic law are apt to forget that many disputes are settled by procedures outside the court. If a landlord and a tenant are free to have a rent review determined by arbitration, two Moslems shoud be free to have a dispute settled by Islamic law.

Finally, I wish those who keep quoting Magna Carta, or for that matter the Bill of Rights, would go and read them. They are not all they are cracked up to be.

well those accounts are off shore for the very rich and most are uk operated for super rich peole

look how say the jewish faith operates

most of that is by a shake of a hand and funds transfer

why are they not offering jewish faith accounts

thats just an example

there are arabic banks in the uk who are more than happy with uk law

chineses banks

they accept the laws of this country

the point i am making is we are stuffed by these charges why should a perticular faith be treated any different

Not necessarily. My point is that if Kate Moss is shopping at Harrod's and is a bit stretched for cash, I guarantee you her card will still get through with an invisible ceiling stretching into thousands.

It's not about accepting the laws of this country, it's about offering different products for those who want to use that different product. If there was no demand for it, they wouldn't do it.

Here's something else: If you want to buy a property abroad, say in France, a lot of the companies will insist that you get the mortgage through one of the French banks operating here, and a lot of British banks won't touch it with a bargepole.

It's called commerce. Let's stop turning it into what it is not. Banks will do what they want to attract customers and tailor their account and what they offer to those potential customers. Accept it or move to a bank that won't do it, and treats all of us as unfairly one as the other. Good luck with that, btw, because before religion, colour or anything like that, as ever, MONEY talks.

Here is an article from the birmingham post about sharia banking from April this year

Birmingham Post - Business - Business News - Financial - How Islamic banking operates within sharia law

Shariah banking has been in Britain for at least the last 3 years so don't tell me it is a marketing ploy since that is nonsense.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

before religion, colour or anything like that, as ever, MONEY talks.

i wont argue on that one

but these people at the banks must know the back lash this would cause

i wonder if this policy was put to the share holders at the annual general meeting

i think not

Yes, I know it is, I said that earlier...

I didn't say it was a marketing ploy, I say it is commerce. The law of offer and demand. Free markets. Call it what you like. If there was no call for it, it wouldn't exist. :-?

Edit:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/60563-islamic-bank-britain-zero.html

and this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/70763-islamic-account-charges.html

Check the date. ;-)

Edited by Bookworm

Yes, I know it is, I said that earlier...

I didn't say it was a marketing ploy(if you did I would have taken YOU to task but as someone else did, then I had to assume ignorance on their part ;) ), I say it is commerce. The law of offer and demand. Free markets. Call it what you like. If there was no call for it, it wouldn't exist. :-?

the banks them selfs has a lot to answer to .

because they sould talk to there customer to what account would suite them . And not name account on religions grounds

Actually, in this instance, I think the media and the BNP have a lot ot answer for by trying to turn a non-event into something to stir intolerance and religious hatred... again. As YB said in an other post about Tesco's "new" bank, it's August and slow in news, so anything to generate traffic... :rolleyes:

And just to add to the controversy a tad, I'm afraid it has nothing to do with PC or not, but with free market. If you don't like Barclays dealings with Zimbabwe and supporting Mugabe's regime, then you bank elsewhere.

I have a choice of accounts (Banks), but I keep my Barclays one because, maybe selfishly, it has the trappings of a full current account. Surely just because of this it doesn't mean I can't show my distaste of those greedy plebs, or am I just a hippocrite?! This filthy organisazation counters EU sanctions because, well, it can since it operates within Zimbabwe. It still leaves a foul taste in my mouth (increasingly thinking I'm a hippocrite now!)

But then they're all shietes (not meant..but apt!)...so what do we do??

Going off slightly at a tangent, during the Second World War when the Germans invaded Denmark, they demanded that all Jews wore armbands to identify themselves (can't remember the exact details - yellow, star of David, ??) the Danish King decreed ALL DANES should wear the armbands

My batch got pink triangles! :D

but these people at the banks must know the back lash this would cause

There is bound to be a back lash if the whole thing is misreported and distorted using weasel words that are not actually racist, but are intended to persuade people that the Great British Way of Life is under threat from those who are not really proper Britons and cannot be trusted to support the right side in a cricket match.

Of course if we go back some 1500 years it was quite different. Then you ran a real risk of being dismembered by some very violent illegal immigrants. Indeed, these illegal immigrants, who had been kept at bay when we were very sensibly governed by Italians under whose rule we enjoyed 400 years of peace and prosperity, ended up swamping the country with their alien culture and language. They drove the peace loving and cultured inhabitants into the western fringes. Eventually these illegal immigrants settled down and called themselves the English. Ever since they have been complaining about being swamped by alien culture and language whilst at the same time invading other countries and swamping them with their alien culture and language.

Bookie- Muslims make up less than 3% of the UK population.

Im sure you agree that this could not be considered a large proportion.

And the source of this particular piece of crap?

Well, I had guessed it, but just for confirmation:

Taxpayer-Owned Bank Overdraft Fees: British Customers Pay £200, Muslims £15 : The British National Party :rolleyes:

PS: How can it be "clear-cut anti-British discrimination", when a large proportion of born and bred Brits are in fact Muslim? :lol::rolleyes::lol: