style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I've got myself in a right old pickle. My bank account was hacked into, all direct debits stopped - including council tax. I therefore missed a couple of payments now the council want the whole lot £995 via the bailiffs. I sent the bailiffs letter after they wrote to me offering them £85 per month including a cheque for that amount. They wrote back today saying my offer was unacceptable and want £400 by 7th of August and the rest the following month. There is no way I can afford this! What should I do? Should I write to them again with another cheque? I'm so terrified that they will turn up at my house. I feel so scared and ashamed its got this far :(

Any advice would be very very greatly received!

Thankyou in advance

Sophia xxx

Do yourself a favvour and a repayment plan send to the council direct and pay the council direct.

You Don't have to pay the bailiff it's NOT against the law and they know that too.

Pay what you can to council direct

Is this the case in Scotland too re sheriff officers, does anyone know?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

i dont think it matters.

if you can pay a regular amount to the council then they should accept your offer as long as it is resonable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You can also "encourage" the council to take the debt back; most have an online payment system. Make a payment via it quoting your CT ref and email/write to the council with a copy of the receipt and your payment proposals.

They are duty bound to accept payment and you are demonstrating a willingness to pay. Do everything you can to deal only with the council on this, in writing.

sorry to hijack but erika scotland is different and you can apply for a time to pay order if you post in the scotland forum or start you own thread could help you further

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

No need - just curiosity Ida!!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)