Channel 4 Dispatches to air debt collection exposé

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol:Tis done, couldn't speak to Mark?? Maybe he was busy taking other celebrity phone calls:lol:

Although she was quite adamant I would have to ring Mortimer Clark, and was also adamant they weren't two of the same:grin:

What was it that Mark said about not giving up on calling people until you spoke to them - did he suggest three or was it four times a day.

Perhaps we should all keep calling until we speak to him...

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

If they are not sols, how do they do all there legal papers then, wording etc any ideas? There doesnt seem to be anyone in that office clever enough to compile defences etc!!

Maybe they look on here for help!!!:eek: ha ha

CAG Depends Purely Upon Donations. Please help us to continue helping you, and give what you can - Thank you:grin:

Click to donate

Please click my scales, if you feel the need;)

I only watched it once but I thought he only said he was speaking on behalf of the solicitors not that he actually was a solicitor?

He may have given the impression to the person on the other end of the phone but I dont think he stated he was a solicitor? Am I wrong?

S.

but given that the legislation is predicated on what the ordinary chap (on the clapham omnibus) is likely to think.......

then i think , confirmed by his remarks afterwards, that the clear intent was to ratchet up the pressure and fool the borrower into beleiving he was a solicitor

use the geographical alternatives-don't be paying a premium service fee

01903 817550

or

01903 703490

Isn't there some OFT guidance that says that debt collectors shouldn't use premium rate numbers...

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

Yes I realise that but your missing my point... Did he actually state he was a solicitor?

I can see a complaint to the OFT and the guidelines they breached in doing the above but whats to stop someone picking up the phone and stating you are through to xx solicitors if the address and phone number is registered with the SRA.

S.

S, programme needs to be played back to be sure.

However, I am 90% sure that the clown who called a debtor at work said;

its the solicitor or, something similar.

Without any doubt, the recipient of the call would have been left with the thought;

OMG!

' The other thing of course is that perhaps we should be putting pressure on the OFT to take action. If we make complaints to the OFT and they don't take enforcement action potentially we can challenge the decision in the High Court through judicial review proceedings.'

Well, this is the very focus that I have suggested for the follow programme to the dispatches airing. With a new programme just briefly focusing on the other real **** of the division ( you know : 1st Credit, Cabot and Mackenzie Hall ), with a few examples from disgruntled and victimised souls, then swiftly move the spotlight over to the regulatory authorities and push the issue of inertia and failure to act. Explore their actual powers under said guidelines and ruiles and get those at the top end to answer for the woefully shameful levels of inaction ?

I will be putting a lot more thought into a structure to present this - last night when I proposed this, I was 'on my last legs' and couldn;t remember what came after the letter A in the alphabet.

Will need lots of input from the legal eagles on this site, though, to make a real hard-hitting and to the point documentary that will have those accountable for actions and impositions literally quacking in their officious lil boots !!

S, programme needs to be played back to be sure.

However, I am 90% sure that the clown who called a debtor at work said;

its the solicitor or, something similar.

Without any doubt, the recipient of the call would have been left with the thought;

OMG!

I just have this nagging feeling that the SRA will say he hasnt commited an offence, unless he states he IS a solicitor then the offence is of causing confusion on who the debtor is speaking to and I think that falls under the OFT rather than the SRA to police.

I bow to others greater knowledge tho, just I know these official bodies will worm out of enforcement at every opportunity.

Anyway sounds like Mr Ton is having fun trying to get through to Mark... remember, set the redial for the afternoon and if you still dont get through try the evening shift :-D

S.

I see that the guests are back...

That's why you can't get through to MC and Marlin - all the staff are on here...come on guys put those phones back on the hook and get them answered

pgh

they answered mortimer clark

mind you

who else do they impersonate

Solicitors Regulation Authority - Bogus solicitors

criminal offence to claim to be a solicitor

http://www.legalcomplaints.org.uk/how-we-handle-complaints/about-poor-service.page

Edited by maybelline
  • Haha 1

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Just phoned them up & played "When the going gets tough"...she didnt sound impressed :D

I think it is quite inappropriate to recommend phoning them up to play "when the going gets tough". We don't want to harass the poor blighters. It's punishment enough for them to have to work with people like Mark, who has the intellectual capacity of a dead hedgehog. But it seems to me quite reasonable that if they call you unexpectedly, you might chose to put them on hold. It would be good to play them some music. Stop them getting board.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I think we are allowed to ring them 4 times per day..according to Mark ;)

True BUT that is four times a day each...I think that I'm gonna try and speak to the collection manager - he seemed rather unpleasant - and express my concerns and keep trying until I speak to him

I think the approach that we should adopt is to insist that we explain in detail to the person who answers the telephone what our concern is and to insist that they pass on our concerns and explain that if they don't call us back that we will keep calling until we speak to them

I think it is quite inappropriate to recommend phoning them up to play "when the going gets tough". We don't want to harass the poor blighters. It's punishment enough for them to have to work with people like Mark, who has the intellectual capacity of a dead hedgehog. But it seems to me quite reasonable that if they call you unexpectedly, you might chose to put them on hold. It would be good to play them some music. Stop them getting board.

I'd agree that it is inappropriate to phone them up to play music but its' not inappropriate to phone, as concerned individuals, to complain about their behaviour

I wonder what it costs to set up a premium rate number...

I'd agree that it is inappropriate to phone them up to play music but its' not inappropriate to phone, as concerned individuals, to complain about their behaviour

I wonder what it costs to set up a premium rate number...

I think that is, of course, quite a reasonable thing to do:grin:.

With regard to the premium line number, there are services which are not only free, but pay you.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Isn't there some OFT guidance that says that debt collectors shouldn't use premium rate numbers...

Technically I don't think it is "premium rate" - they all start with 09xx abd are often £1.50 a minute or more.

0871 numbers cost more than normal landlines, but the typical charge from a BT landline is something like 10p per minute, so in a different league to premium rate.

The owner of the number may get a percentage of that. The rules changed for 0870 numbers, but I think all those who were making money using 0870 moved to 0871. How a consumer is supposed to keep up with all this is beyond me. IMV another watchdog / industry body doing a bad job.

Also, watch out for 070 numbers. They look like mobile numbers but cost a lot more to call and again the owner can get a cut of the call.

Tempting to get one of these for when the DCAs call. :)

Last thing on phone numbers - when calling 0800 numbers from a mobile its not covered by your minutes in your contract and is expensive.

0800Buster.co.uk: Call 0800, 0808 & 0500 Numbers Free From Your Mobile has a landline number you can call which will route you to an 0800 number. The landline number will use up contract minutes.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by MikeBigg

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks