• Tweets

• Good Law Project are trying to force HMG to release details of how Sunak's hedge fund made large profits from Moderna. Government ordered to disclose Sunak’s hedge fund emails - Good Law Project GOODLAWPROJECT.ORG Good Law Project has won a battle with the Treasury after it tried to suppress emails between Rishi Sunak and the hedge fund he founded.  
    • Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Motability questions - conflicting advice!!

cosmiccat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, OK, sorry!!!! I am a very honest person, and I don't like the idea of getting either my mother or myself into trouble!!! This is all very new to me, and I suppose seems too easy almost, so I suppose I'm looking for the catch!!

With regards to contacting Motability, I have done twice. The first guy I spoke to said it "seemed to be ok and within the scheme rules, but he couldn't state definitely. He then went on to say that as the Motability car was all paid for within mothers DLA that I should keep my car on the road and only use hers for her use.... which even he agreed did seem faintly ridiculous! The girl I spoke to on the second occasion said they did understand that a family car would be used as such on occasions and had relaxed their rules somewhat. I pointed out that we weren't a typical family and that mum does not live with me, and she ummed and arred a bit and then said it would probably still be OK!!!!

So. basically the info they offered was as clear as mud!

Sorry for being such a worrier, and driving you all mad, but your advice has been good thank you!! Not sure I shall ever quite relax driving the car, but hopefully will come good!

As another thought, does the 'fair wear and tear' allowed vary from garage to garage or is it fairly standard across the scheme? I'm working on the assumption that things like stone chips will be OK, but a crunched wing won't... would that be about right?

Thanks again guys! You are SO patient!

x

Dont worry to much what some of the advisors state, some are just reading of scripts, if your in doubt ask to speak to a supervisor, when you take delivery of the car it will come with loads of infomation to assit you further.

With regards to fair wear and tear, again, dont worry, just drive like its yours, there extremely good to be honest, for an example my car was recently shot at with a air weapon, causing damage to a number of panels, when i contacted the insurance company with what had happened and description they informed me that i didnt have to get it repaired, as i had a number of years remaining i decided to get it repaired. this cost me £75 and unfortunatly i will lose my good condition bonus.

I can not fault the scheme and i have recomended it to many people with no probs !

The retailers worst nightmare !

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update, today I spoke to an advisor at Motability. She stated that although the usage I proposed "seemed to be within the spirit of the scheme" but that "they could not guarantee it was OK". Regarding the taxation of the vehicle, I can't do it myself to cover the odd occasion that doesn't have a tenuous link to mum, and that if I was stopped I could be prosecuted.

So, that leaves me back to square one really! Looks like I shall have to keep my car to use for work and odd days out not involving mum, and just use the mota car when it is absolutely for her. Seems ridiculous, but until the DVLA and motability are singing off the same hymn sheet, must be the safest way to go. Hope this info might be of use to someone else facing the same dilemma.

Thanks guys for your patience and good advice - any further comments, please fire away!!!

x :confused::(

Just to update, today I spoke to an advisor at Motability. She stated that although the usage I proposed "seemed to be within the spirit of the scheme" but that "they could not guarantee it was OK". Regarding the taxation of the vehicle, I can't do it myself to cover the odd occasion that doesn't have a tenuous link to mum, and that if I was stopped I could be prosecuted.

So, that leaves me back to square one really! Looks like I shall have to keep my car to use for work and odd days out not involving mum, and just use the mota car when it is absolutely for her. Seems ridiculous, but until the DVLA and motability are singing off the same hymn sheet, must be the safest way to go. Hope this info might be of use to someone else facing the same dilemma.

Thanks guys for your patience and good advice - any further comments, please fire away!!!

x :confused::(

Sounds like your been given incorrect information, i would reccomend you speak to a supervisor or manager at Motabilty, there absoloutly no need to keep your own car, i went through a similar bout of questions a few years ago, if you dont have no joy in a few days ill pass you a direct contact number for an experinced advisor, based at there headoffice.

Thanks for that BBM, may take you up on that number. I shall have another try tomorrow. Their sticking point seems to be that I don't live with my mother - the car will be with me, and therefore going to work three times a week in it is seen as depriving her. If I lived with her, and my wages contributed to the household income, that would appear to be different!

They don't seem to be taking into account that a) there is no-one else to drive mother anywhere, so if I am at work the car doesn't move anyway, and b) she won't go anywhere with anyone else even if there was someone!! She relies on me utterly for everything, so if I am not there one morning she will wait to the afternoon. Even arranges hospital/doctors appointments around my work and if there is an emergency I have to come home from work, or swap hours with someone!

Little flexibility in the system unfortunately - peoples needs and circumstances vary and they don't appear to be taking account of this. Also, they insist on taxing and their rules (such as they are) differ from the DVLA's.

If it wouldn't hurt so much, I'd bang my head against the wall..... lol

x

Thanks for that BBM, may take you up on that number. I shall have another try tomorrow. Their sticking point seems to be that I don't live with my mother - the car will be with me, and therefore going to work three times a week in it is seen as depriving her. If I lived with her, and my wages contributed to the household income, that would appear to be different!

They don't seem to be taking into account that a) there is no-one else to drive mother anywhere, so if I am at work the car doesn't move anyway, and b) she won't go anywhere with anyone else even if there was someone!! She relies on me utterly for everything, so if I am not there one morning she will wait to the afternoon. Even arranges hospital/doctors appointments around my work and if there is an emergency I have to come home from work, or swap hours with someone!

Little flexibility in the system unfortunately - peoples needs and circumstances vary and they don't appear to be taking account of this. Also, they insist on taxing and their rules (such as they are) differ from the DVLA's.

If it wouldn't hurt so much, I'd bang my head against the wall..... lol

x

Just for your info, and i shouldnt really say this, but it sounds as though your getting upset about the info your been given by Motabilty, i used to be a mystery shopper for Motability, due to unforseen personnal circumstancies i had to stop, but i do keep in touch with a number of people there.

I have already discussed a number of questions and issues that you have raised on this website with my contact at Motability, and they are absoloutly appauled at the incorrect info you have been given !

I just hope your not put off by all the info, what appears to be misleading info by Motability, you will get there in the end, keep us informed.

Had a C4 Grande Picasso for over a year now. Got the 1.8 VTR+ for £450 advance payment. Lovely car but being petrol a bit juicy. The scheme does take a lot of worry out of running a car. The only problem we have is that my wife and I are both on high rate disability but can drive short distances. Our 18 year old daughter now drives and it would be nice if she could drive us.Had a few 100 mile+ journeys in the spring to look at Universities and I had a hard time for a few days after!

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

I'm reluctant to criticize the adviser (cos they are such nice folk) but I'm afraid the adviser you spoke to couldn't have been more wrong - I won't repeat all that's been stated here other than to say it's correct - you can use the car.......provided the DLA recipient is not being denied it's use.......& you don't park in disabled bay etc...............as I stated you cannot be expected to run 2 cars

The motability advisor I spoke to today, and who was unable to put me through to anyone more senior!, is still sticking with the party line that I cannot use the car for anything seen as personal to me...

So if this isn't the case, what happens if I did (God forbid) have an accident when I was in the car by myself or with my son, or got stopped by the Police? As I've said before, it is rare, but often mum will make arrangements with us to go out, and then when it comes to it she may not feel like it. I usually go ahead to save disappointment for my son, and we go alone.

The car doesn't worry me so much - Mum is more than happy with the way things will work, and is delighted that as I shall have a car that is better for her needs (and more modern) that I will be taking her to see her friends in Wales, a journey that she can't undertake in either my car or on public transport. (She hasn't been there to visit them for seven years now - they come to her, but she is SO excited about being able to go!). The other stuff will more or less carry on as before, shopping for her, taking her shopping if she feels like it, trips out etc., but in the mota car rather than my private one.

The point that concerns me is the Road tax and what happens if the worse did occur....

JonCris, your point about my wellbeing is understood, and actually mum has been saying how thrilled she is I will have a safer, reliable, more modern car, for both our purposes, but would that stand up if it came to the crunch? Makes sense to me, and to mum, but would the Traffic Wombles not find that somewhat tenuous?!!!!!

Would mota see that point of view? Our neighbours are great, apart from two notable exceptions - can see that they will start having a whine, and don't really want mum to have to go through defending what she, and I, see as reasonable. What would mota do in that case anyway? Don't want mum having her benefit withdrawn, or ending up in trouble for fraud... or me, for that matter!

x

go to the website & click on 'Ask Mo' it's automated but even it tell's you you can use the car for going to work or any other task that benefits the DLA recipient etc ................... so the advisor(s) your talking to don't know their jobs I'm afraid

So sorry old chap. If you wanted a Citroen, then the Xsara Picasso would propably been your best buy. Pity help you if anything goes wrong, as Citroen UK are the most despicable A--- H----to try and deal with.

A motability road tax is only valid when the vehicle is used to convey the person that leased the car, not the named driver for any purpose not directly connected to the leasee. You could perhaps get off with doing your mums shopping for her if she was unfit be there herself.

go to the website & click on 'Ask Mo' it's automated but even it tell's you you can use the car for going to work or any other task that benefits the DLA recipient etc ................... so the advisor(s) your talking to don't know their jobs I'm afraid

Great advice from this poster, i dont want to complicate things further for you, but you would be legible for a free / exempt tax disc for your own car that your driving now, on your mothers behalf !

BBM - do you have a named contact with mota or a number, as per your post last night?

As for the RFL for my private car, that would be pointless as mum can't use my car due to restrictions with her mobility and my cars design! I definitely wouldn't push that one!!!!!

Thanks!

BBM - do you have a named contact with mota or a number, as per your post last night?

As for the RFL for my private car, that would be pointless as mum can't use my car due to restrictions with her mobility and my cars design! I definitely wouldn't push that one!!!!!

Thanks!

You can still use the car for her though, shopping etc !

Ill PM the details to you.

You can still use the car for her though, shopping etc !

Ill PM the details to you.

Are you saying you can get free RFL for your own car AS WELL as having a motability vehicle :confused:

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Hi the only thing I can say is that when my wife got DLA mobility we were informed as the OP that we could tax a car using the DLA tax exemption if all use of the car was for the benefit of the DLA recipient be that person in the car or not. As I knew of someone that had been stopped by police as part of a random car checking exercise (tyres brakes etc) and they had checked that DLA recipient was in the car I decided that I would use DLA allowance to purchase a car through Motability finance but tax and insure the car as normal, with the tax not classed disabled. We have been doing this now for our last 4 cars and no problems I can use the car as and when I like with or without my wife being in the car and I am also the registered keeper.

dpick

Hi All

I have been siting reading this thread with great interest, there is so much info on here that is incorrect.

I have had 7 cars on the motability scheme now, and they have all been using the full allowance to get a vehicle that I am comfortable in. I used to be a driver of the vehicle, but due to worsening of my condition and sight loss I had to give up. The car is the only vehicle that we have, and my wife uses it as a normal car. When we had our last vehicle (Renault Grand Scenic ) we asked about my wife using it for work as she was a carer, we were given the go ahead and received a new insurance certificate which stated that she could use it for business use.

We get the free VEL (Vehicle Excise Licence (Tax Disc)) and have had no problems when stopped by the police, they just do a vehicle and name check through PNC and if all ok then on your way.

The person who is the nominated driver under the insurance can use the vehicle for general use, as long as the vehicle is available for the use of the disabled person when required. So in other words I get the vehicle, she drives it to take me wherever I want (this is the available part) and can then use it for other uses as long as its within the scope of the Motability scheme.

The police will only report you for a tax disc offence if the vehicle is being used in a Fraudulent or illegal matter. this is just a silly example... conveying your friends rubbish to the tip because you have a bigger car. This is not what the vehicle is for as it is not available for the disabled persons use, and also the insurance would not cover it either.

So basically if you get a Motability car you can use it for your own use as long as the vehicle is available for the user when required.

With regards to damage to the vehicle, someone earlier said that they had damage to the vehicle and was told he could wait until the vehicle is coming to the end of the lease period before getting it reparied, this is incorrect also, when the vehicle goes to a dealer to have the service done each year, they also do a visual check report for Motability as part of the service, and this damage would be picked up by them and you would be told to get the vehicle repaired.

When you get damage if it is not repaired quite quickly, further damage can occurr to the vehicle which would bring down the resale value of the vehicle. Motability now OWN the vehicles, they no longer lease them like they used to, so resale value is very important to them. If you do suffer damage and have to have it repaired through the insurance company then you do lose your upto £200 good condition bonus, because you have had a claim. (similar to you having a claim on your insurance you would lose your no claims bonus).

When a vehicle is finished it's 3 or 5 years use the vehicle is taken to the garage where you are collecting your new vehicle. The garage store the vehicle for Motability until the transporter arrives and takes the vehicle away. The garage does not own or get the used vehicles. As far as I am aware the vehicles are taken and sold at auction.

VEL's, you can have only 1 exemption disc, this must be put onto the vehicle that is being used for the disabled person. You can NOT get a second one for use in your own car.

As for buying a vehicle through motability's scheme, yes you can use your award to buy a used or new car that in the end you will own.

For a new car you get the amount of money you receive exchanged into a certain amount of credit to buy the vehicle, this credit may well not cover the full cost of the vehicle, so you have to add the rest to it.

A second hand car is similar to the buying method but, it must satisfy certain criterea to be suitable. The vehicle must not be over so many years old, it must not have more than so many miles on the clock, it must have a full service record and the list goes on. If the credit is not sufficient you must of course add the rest.

When you purchase a car through Motability you can use your VEL exemption certificate to get a free disc, but YOU are responseable for Insurance, Servicing costs etc.

So it's up to you how you want to use your DLA mobility award.

Lastly, I, this time have had to get a vehicle which I can get into the vehicle in my wheelchair, these obviously are a lot more expensive that traditional vehicles because of the conversions, so the lease period to you is 5 years, not the normal 3yrs. If you find getting the advance payment out of reach you can apply for a grant, BE WARNED, IT IS MEANS TESTED to see how much you can afford to pay (on paper).

So I hope I have made a little clearer for you about the scheme, I enjoy the scheme and it is such a good charity to use. and if you know of someone who has got mobility problems and has DLA Higher rate mobility then get them to apply.

It has given me back my freedom and individuality.:):):)

Keefy (:-)The "Moaner":rolleyes:)Boy

Prepared to take on anyone until I win...................

Well done keefyboy the body may be suffering but obviously the brains ok! Kind Regards

IF I HAVE BEEN ANY HELP AT ALL OR JUST MADE YOU LAUGH AT MY STUPIDITY PLEASE MARK MY PERFORMANCE!

ALSO REMEMBER TO DONATE. EVERY LITTLE HELPS AND THE FORUMS ARE FOR YOU!;)

With regards getting 2 exempt tax discs, you are only allowed one, if you dont use a motability car then you can apply for one for your own car.

With regards to damage to motabilty cars, they are examined on each service, any notible damage will be checked and confirmed with motibilty to see if it is logged, due to the increasing costs for repair, motability now give the customer a choice for a repair or not, this only applies to minor damage, obviously if there was major damage this would have to be repaired asap.

The damage i explained earlier was extremely minor damage, this is why it could of been left, due to the time remaining i decided to opt for the repair.

Sorry for any confusion

So sorry old chap. If you wanted a Citroen, then the Xsara Picasso would propably been your best buy. Pity help you if anything goes wrong, as Citroen UK are the most despicable A--- H----to try and deal with.

A motability road tax is only valid when the vehicle is used to convey the person that leased the car, not the named driver for any purpose not directly connected to the leasee. You could perhaps get off with doing your mums shopping for her if she was unfit be there herself.

Your wrong - A spouse or other carer/driver may use the car for any purpose which benefits the DLA recipient & that includes travelling to work

For confirmation go to the Motability website & 'Ask Mo' - The DVLA recognise that you can't tax what may be the only vehicle in the household for some of the time - it's either exempt or it ain't ------ & if it's Motability it's exempt

If you read the post I put in above scaniaman you will see that we had one motablity vehicle which was VEL exempt, and your partner CAN still use the vehicle, (even for business use as my wife did) providing that you still have the vehicle available for the disabled persons use. As I said before my wife was a carer and RSA Motability allowed her to use the vehicle for her business use (travelling between houses to give an elderly persons care) but on the condition that was all she used it for. She did that for nearly 3 years.

I had a problem back a few years when my (EX ) wife decided that she wanted a divorce and took MY motability car, and the kids to her aunts in Nth Yorkshire. I could have reported her for theft as all use is with the leasees consent (the disabled person for whos use the vehicle is meant for and named on the Insurance certificate), which she did not have. It was only for the kids sake that I didn't report her, but as soon as she got back I took the key off her and had her removed off of the insurance.

But don't forget that Motability is a brilliant charity scheme, many people have been helped by getting the vehicles, me included, and if you have any queiries then go onto their web site , you can "ask Mo" or e-mail them a question (they seem to be very quick answering e-mails) or you can ring them, or Royal & Sun Alliance Motability for advice. If your not happy with what you have been told or need further clarification ask for a supervisor or even the manager, they are approachable and will try and help you as much as they can.

And just in case someone thinks it, NO I do not work for Motability or RSA motability, but I did work in the police when I was disabled and had my first few cars, so I learnt a lot of things regarding vehicles in my 11 yrs service and had a very good liason with Motability and RSA both.

• Haha 1

:D As an update, I managed to speak to a Mota advisor today who was not just following what was on the screen!! I cannot praise her enough, she gave me great information that has confirmed, from the horse's mouth, so to speak, what many of you have told me.

Even though we don't live together, as long as I don't deprive my mum of the cars use then I can use it more or less as 'the family car', and not to worry about the tax implications!

Worth keeping asking, as eventually you do find someone there who is genuinely helpful!

One last point - if I give up my private car, my 8 years NCB will expire after two years - at the end of the three year lease period if mum should decide not to go Mota again, does the time with RSA count towards a new NCB on a private car? Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks again guys (and gals!) you have been patient and kind to me. Lets hope this post may be of interest to others in the same position!

x ;)

:D As an update, I managed to speak to a Mota advisor today who was not just following what was on the screen!! I cannot praise her enough, she gave me great information that has confirmed, from the horse's mouth, so to speak, what many of you have told me.

Even though we don't live together, as long as I don't deprive my mum of the cars use then I can use it more or less as 'the family car', and not to worry about the tax implications!

Worth keeping asking, as eventually you do find someone there who is genuinely helpful!

One last point - if I give up my private car, my 8 years NCB will expire after two years - at the end of the three year lease period if mum should decide not to go Mota again, does the time with RSA count towards a new NCB on a private car? Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks again guys (and gals!) you have been patient and kind to me. Lets hope this post may be of interest to others in the same position!

x ;)

Pleased to hear you got things sorted, hope it was that number that helped !

With regard to your no claims bonus, unfortunatley you dont accuire this bonus with your motability car, if and when you stop using the scheme they will issue you with details of your driving record, basically stating if you have had any accidents during your lease term.

When you end your current car insurance ask them to send you confirmation of your NCB, this will assist you in the future if the need arises.

Happy Motoring !

Unless people ask questions like you, then we would never know the truth. Never be afraid to ask a question, and do it with a smile :-) and make their day.... :-)