• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure the highlighted part is correct. I've always understood the correct form for them is 'before'. The prescribed terms for the content of the DN are below, so whatever way you look at it it is expected that payment reaches them before x date.

Not having looked at the DN in question I can't comment on that itself, but I'm pretty sure the use 'before' is ok - it does normally go in our favour though as the banks seem incapable of realising this and don't give enough time for remedy:)

"IF THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE IS TAKEN BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN NO FURTHER ENFORCEMENT ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN RESPECT OF THE BREACH

"IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU [OR A SURETY]"

Hi Lexis - know what you mean. However if they rely on the word Before and not By it's possible for the debtor to question when this is, before could mean the date the notice was received, or perhaps its the date the day after...all of these being before the date shown. Technically use of the word before could mean (subject to a semi-absurd argument) that payment of default sums was actually due a year ago thus you weren't given the required 14 days!

Daft yes, but equally it opens the date issue up to scrutiny and questionning and this should never be the case.

In contrast use of the word by makes it plainly clear as this is clearly the latest payment can be made.

I'd rely on the bit about the debtor being presented with a clear document rather than being presented with a puzzle. Sure we understand what the default is getting at but there are many in society who do not or cannot understand a demand unless it is perfectly clear and beyond contemplation.

:D

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings.

I am confused with respect to the amount of arrears due in relation to an UR?

Where one states in their letter of acceptance of UR:-

"...I note that you are only now entitled to claim those arrears genuiely due at the time of the termination..."

Are the arrears always and only those stated in the DN regardless of when termination occurs?

Because in some instances termination (via either a letter of termination or demanding full balance) is some time after an invalid DN.

Thanks for any assistance..

Would appreciate any feedback on this?

Many thx..

I am just after some advice on default notices and DCA's

I had a loan with Sainsburys which defaulted in April 2004, the default has now dropped off my credit report but Lowell Financial are chasing for the debt. I had CCA'd them and they came back with a CCA which may possibly be enforceable. (the only thing thats wrong with it is that the Right to Cancel box is missing by the signature)

While I'm waiting for the SAR's to come back I just wondered if there was an invalid default notice on there what does it mean? As the default has already disappeared off my credit report there's no reason to contest it is there?

The one thing I'm worried about is Lowell applying for a CCJ and I just wondered if there was anything to do with defaults that I can use against them?

Thanks for any replies, also I seem to remember reading somewhere if you have an invalid default and the debt has been passed onto a DCA and it goes to court or something that they can apply for a new default? I may have read it wrong though as it was a little while ago!

Hi Jamtastic,

By default Notice we refer to the letter they send about a month prior to putting a notice of default on your credit file stating that you have breached conditions of your agreement and stating what you can do to remedy the breach. (confusing, I know..:) ).

It's only of value if you actually have your copy of the Default Notice letter, and if it's not worded correctly or given you enough time to remedy. In 2004 that would have been 7 days.

A Subject Access request would probably only throw up a record of when they issued the DN, they don't keep copies.

When was the last time you made a payment or acknowledged this account in writing? If it's more than 6 years then it would be Statute Barred.

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa

Jamtastic

Firstly we need to know if your alleged agreement was a cancellable agreemeent.And we also need the date you allegedly concluded that agreement.Without divulging personal details can you give the date agreement was allegedly made.

s67(b) determines whether you agreement is cancellable

which category applied to you if any?

67. Cancellable agreements.

A regulated agreement may be cancelled by the debtor or hirer in accordance with this Part if the antecedent negotiations included oral representations made when in the presence of the debtor or hirer by an individual acting as, or on behalf of, the negotiator, unless

(a)the agreement is secured on land, or is a restricted-use credit agreement to finance the purchase of land or is an agreement for a bridging loan in connection with the purchase of land, or

(b)-the unexecuted agreement is signed by the debtor or hirer at premises at which any of the following is carrying on any business (whether on a permanent or temporary basis)—

(i) the creditor or owner;

(ii) any party to a linked transaction (other than the debtor or hirer or a relative of his);

(iii) the negotiator in any antecedent negotiations.

You must not fall into any of the conditions specified in (b) i-iii for the agreement to be cancellable

m2ae

Edited by means2anend

Greetings.

I am confused with respect to the amount of arrears due in relation to an UR?

Where one states in their letter of acceptance of UR:-

"...I note that you are only now entitled to claim those arrears genuiely due at the time of the termination..."

Are the arrears always and only those stated in the DN regardless of when termination occurs?

Because in some instances termination (via either a letter of termination or demanding full balance) is some time after an invalid DN.

Thanks for any assistance..

The arrears will be those due at the point of termination for example :-

The OC sends a DN then while the DN is active demands the full amount. Arrers would be those shown on DN.

The OC sends a dodgy DN insufficient time etc then sends a termination letter 1 month latter, arrears will be the amount on the DN plus the 1 month.

The OC sends a dodgy DN insufficient time then terminates at the date on DN arrears will be those shown on the DN

The OC sends a dodgy DN then terminates a year later arrears will be amount on DN + 1 year. Though you could argue that the agreement ends when they say it will 14 days latter. I think DD did a post about this.

As always termination is the key, If you believe that they have terminated and have a dodgy DN. You may need to prove you have accepted the UR as DD has said many times a UR letter is belt and braces. But stopping payments is another or both together. At the end of the day it's your choice.

I would be interested to hear peoples view on sending a UR letter receiving a reply to it then paying off the arrears?

Pumpytums

• Haha 1

I am just after some advice on default notices and DCA's

I had a loan with Sainsburys which defaulted in April 2004, the default has now dropped off my credit report but Lowell Financial are chasing for the debt. I had CCA'd them and they came back with a CCA which may possibly be enforceable. (the only thing thats wrong with it is that the Right to Cancel box is missing by the signature)

While I'm waiting for the SAR's to come back I just wondered if there was an invalid default notice on there what does it mean? As the default has already disappeared off my credit report there's no reason to contest it is there?

The one thing I'm worried about is Lowell applying for a CCJ and I just wondered if there was anything to do with defaults that I can use against them?

Thanks for any replies, also I seem to remember reading somewhere if you have an invalid default and the debt has been passed onto a DCA and it goes to court or something that they can apply for a new default? I may have read it wrong though as it was a little while ago!

Could be statute barred, has it been more than 6 years since you made a payment or admitted to it in writing?

Pumpytums

Jamtastic

Firstly we need to know if your alleged agreement was a cancellable agreemeent.And we also need the date you allegedly concluded that agreement.Without divulging personal details can you give the date agreement was allegedly made.

A regulated agreement may be cancelled by the debtor or hirer in accordance with this Part if the antecedent negotiations included oral representations made when in the presence of the debtor or hirer by an individual acting as, or on behalf of, the negotiator, unless

(a)the agreement is secured on land, or is a restricted-use credit agreement to finance the purchase of land or is an agreement for a bridging loan in connection with the purchase of land, or

(b)-the unexecuted agreement is signed by the debtor or hirer at premises at which any of the following is carrying on any business (whether on a permanent or temporary basis)—

(ii) any party to a linked transaction (other than the debtor or hirer or a relative of his);

You must not fall into any of the conditions specified in (b) i-iii for the agreement to be cancellable

m2ae

I'm going to have to reread this when I get home as not sure I understand fully, will be back on later! thank you!

you are confusing a Default Notice with a Notice of Default

two different animals!!

That's what I thought DD, however OH today received from Cap 1

Notice of Default served under s87(1) of the CCA 1974.

Payment required within 28 days of the date of the letter etc.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU.

We will terminate you account and issue you with a Statement of Default.

It also states that if you have a payment arrangement with us - thank you. Please ignore this letter!

Muppets! :)

That's what I thought DD, however OH today received from Cap 1

Notice of Default served under s87(1) of the CCA 1974.

Payment required within 28 days of the date of the letter etc.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU.

We will terminate you account and issue you with a Statement of Default.

It also states that if you have a payment arrangement with us - thank you. Please ignore this letter!

Muppets! :)

They sent me the same on the weekend.

capone1.jpg

capone2.jpg

Jamtastic

m2ae

Okay so think I get it now...

I signed the alleged agreement at home

(i) I dont conduct any business there and neither does the owner

(ii) there was no party linked to the transaction

(iii) Im not too sure what this means but there wasnt a negotiator there when I signed it

The agreement was allegedly made in January 2003

I'm not too sure what "the date I allegedly concluded that agreement" means *scratcheshead* but the default was registered on to my account in April 2004 and has since dropped off

Hope I got that all right! Thank you!

Okay so think I get it now...

I signed the alleged agreement at home

(i) I dont conduct any business there and neither does the owner

(ii) there was no party linked to the transaction

(iii) Im not too sure what this means but there wasnt a negotiator there when I signed it

The agreement was allegedly made in January 2003

I'm not too sure what "the date I allegedly concluded that agreement" means *scratcheshead* but the default was registered on to my account in April 2004 and has since dropped off

Hope I got that all right! Thank you!

the Lynchpin is where YOU signed!

Examples-

You go into branch and discuss the general terms with the advisor and are given the unexecuted agreement to sign and a copy of that unexecuted agreement.On this 'occasion' you decide not to sign but take both sets away with you.Or on this 'occasion' you may sign but sign in the wrong place.

So on this Occasion it remains an unexecuted agreement..This situation is regulated by-

62. Duty to supply copy of unexecuted agreement. — (1) If the unexecuted agreement is presented personally to the debtor or hirer for his signature, but on the occasion when he signs it the document does not become an executed agreement, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be there and then delivered to him.

You telephone the branch about taking out a loan or credit card but want both sets sent to you by post..I shall assume for now that 'by an appropriate method' had not amended 'by post' as your agreement was Jan 2003 and this amendment did not take effect until 31/12/2004 in answer to agreements being concluded on line.

In both of the above cases 'antecedent negotiations have taken place'' see s59]

The above scenario is regulated by-

62 (2) If the unexecuted agreement is sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be sent to him at the same time

You said you signed at home therefore you did not fall into any of the conditions in s67(b) paras i-iii

Therefore it is a Cancellable Agreement.

You now need to find where the forms can be found.Your agreement was Jan 2003..Therefore the Schedules to Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations 1983..

Remember just like Notice of Default is a different animal to Default Notice so it goes with Cancellation Notices and a Notice of Cancellation.

If my memory serves me correct you should have been given a right to cancel in a required form but cannot remember which..whether it was 'You have a short time to cancel...or You have 14 days ...

m2ae

Once your agrement becomes executed..

Section 63 then comes into play...and remember both the executed agreement and a copy of the executed agreement should literally have two sets of signatures on each document 'executed agreement' is defined in s189(1) as signed by both debtor AND lender.

But I think we should not depart too far from the subject of THIS thread!

m2ae

HOMER J you need to see the computor screen printouts for that day and possibly a couple of days before and after.....you will then find more than likely no letter was written accept to say a possible reconstruction .....did you actually receive the letter they say they sent ? on the 8 or 7 without going back to look...just to many threads on here and getting a bit lost as to who's who' and whats said ...come on mods clean it up...

I have heard a judge will allow the OC to sign the agreement in front of him/her - so preventing that from being a reason to avoid paying the debt.

BD

i dont think that could happen unless you ask on what terms then you can dictate your own terms ie not to pass data etc...and if you do not accept the oc terms what then you cannot be forced to accept something just because a smart assed judge thinks he can do what he wants ....

my opinion only but a very strong opinion they would have to jail me for life for contempt because i would never sign under durress...

patrickq1

P

NOT WHAT I SAID - the OC - ORIGINAL CREDITOR - offers to sign in front of the judge and is allowed to do so.

If your signature is not there - then I agree it's game over for the OC - no enforceable agreement - as clearly the debtor won't sign then - but the creditor will if given the chance.

BD

the Lynchpin is where YOU signed!

Examples-

You go into branch and discuss the general terms with the advisor and are given the unexecuted agreement to sign and a copy of that unexecuted agreement.On this 'occasion' you decide not to sign but take both sets away with you.Or on this 'occasion' you may sign but sign in the wrong place.

So on this Occasion it remains an unexecuted agreement..This situation is regulated by-

62. Duty to supply copy of unexecuted agreement. — (1) If the unexecuted agreement is presented personally to the debtor or hirer for his signature, but on the occasion when he signs it the document does not become an executed agreement, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be there and then delivered to him.

You telephone the branch about taking out a loan or credit card but want both sets sent to you by post..I shall assume for now that 'by an appropriate method' had not amended 'by post' as your agreement was Jan 2003 and this amendment did not take effect until 31/12/2004 in answer to agreements being concluded on line.

In both of the above cases 'antecedent negotiations have taken place'' see s59]

The above scenario is regulated by-

62 (2) If the unexecuted agreement is sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be sent to him at the same time

You said you signed at home therefore you did not fall into any of the conditions in s67(b) paras i-iii

Therefore it is a Cancellable Agreement.

You now need to find where the forms can be found.Your agreement was Jan 2003..Therefore the Schedules to Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations 1983..

Remember just like Notice of Default is a different animal to Default Notice so it goes with Cancellation Notices and a Notice of Cancellation.

If my memory serves me correct you should have been given a right to cancel in a required form but cannot remember which..whether it was 'You have a short time to cancel...or You have 14 days ...

m2ae

They posted me the credit agreement, they had already signed it and I'm pretty sure I signed it and sent it back.

I've still got my original copy of the credit agreement at home so should I look for a right to cancel form?

I'm a little bit confused (sorry) I do have a thread titled Please help - Enforceable Agreement if its getting too off topic for this thread.

Unexecuted and executed I'm still not sure I understand the difference, is it just whether you've signed it or not? I'm pretty sure I spoke to someone at Sainsburys bank, they posted out the forms I signed them at home and sent back a copy...

Sorry, I'm probably being useless!

I have written to NatWest demanding they send me a copy of my valid default notice (i never had one) & the CCA agreement or they must remove the default.

They still havent sent me a CCA and they are under the impression they do not have to proove the default. They said it was a computer generated letter that went out in 07 and they cannot get a copy. I will bump my relevenat thread on this later and list the contents of the letter...

Surely this is wrong?

I have written to NatWest demanding they send me a copy of my valid default notice (i never had one) & the CCA agreement or they must remove the default.

They still havent sent me a CCA and they are under the impression they do not have to proove the default. They said it was a computer generated letter that went out in 07 and they cannot get a copy. I will bump my relevenat thread on this later and list the contents of the letter...

Surely this is wrong?

Have they demanded the full outstanding balance or sent a termination letter? Have you been making any payments? Have you got a thread of your own on here?

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

1. Legal Action - Cabot Financial (Goldfish Account) ***WON***

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

2. Legal Action - Set aside application - Marlins/Phoenix

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

3. Legal Action - Set Aside Default Judgement -Santander (B & Q Store Card)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

You can make a donation here:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks