Blocking my Driveway - Help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The reason I questioned it was that parking across a dropped kerb was obstruction for which the cops could take action, as far as I am aware there is no difference whether you are blocked going in or out, but thanks for the clarification.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

According to Transport for London a white line which usually goes by the dropped kerb in front of off-street parking is a "request" that people don't park there, but won't mean that anyone parking there can get a ticket or be removed. Not certain about the access issue as didn't ask the question

If you are blocked in then you can call the police - which may just make the neighbour worse but thats your call. If your drive is blocked and you can't get into it the police option does not apply and you will have to park elsewhere.

Not according to the OP in post 17.

If you have a legal dropped kerb then it is illegal to prevent you leaving or entering.

Makes sense really.

Pedross

It is against the law to block a legally constructed dropped kerb access to a property.

The Police have power of enforcement, and you are within your rights to call the Police if someone has parked in such a way as to prevent you access or egress (the right of a person to leave a property in property law ) at your property. The Police have the power to request the vehicle be removed, or to remove the vehicle.

The police have powers only to remove to give you access to the highway exactly as Lama has said earlier and as confirmed in your letter from the council.

it is illegal to block my access and exit

That is not what the council notice says.

Edited by Conniff
correct a post credit

• 3 months later...

I have a non shared driveway in which someone keeps obstructing, i also have a dropped kerb, this is also next to a grit bucket. I cannot access my driveway nor can the grit bucket be refilled, when contacting the police, everything i said was twisted and the police found it perfectably acceptable that i have no use off my driveway or use off my dropped kerb done nothing apart from be rude and cheeky to me!!!!! The police wonder why the public dont co operate with them look no further. Someone said i should have called the traffic warden as under the highway code if your driveway is being blocked they have the authority to fine, clamp and indeed tow the vehicle away.

I only saw a bit of a programe the other morning with that bloke in it Dom something. He was saying that there is NO law to stop anyone parking across a dropped kerb unless you have a vehicle parked in your drive

Have had the same problem myself with people parking outside my garage. Fortunately I live on a steep hill and it is usually possible to bounce the offending car out of the way enough to allow me to get the car out. Police will however come out and help with the bouncing if they cannot locate the driver and also apply a suitable ticket so long as it is blocking my car IN the garage

I have a non shared driveway in which someone keeps obstructing, i also have a dropped kerb, this is also next to a grit bucket. I cannot access my driveway nor can the grit bucket be refilled, when contacting the police, everything i said was twisted and the police found it perfectably acceptable that i have no use off my driveway or use off my dropped kerb done nothing apart from be rude and cheeky to me!!!!! The police wonder why the public dont co operate with them look no further. Someone said i should have called the traffic warden as under the highway code if your driveway is being blocked they have the authority to fine, clamp and indeed tow the vehicle away.

the Highway Code is NOT law and grants no authority to anyone or any body. If you are blocked in the police can and should act.

Goddess, have you spoken to your local council about this? You can request a white line be painted across your driveway which will deter drivers and help clarify whether a vehicle can be towed. Alternatively you could request double yellows, but that would mean no-one, including you, could park there.

Might be worth enquiring with them, if this would help.

Hi Goddess,

This is incredibly selfish behaviour. However, I was astonished to be told by someone who works for Transport for London that a white line is only a 'request' for people not to park there, although it should deter some people. I assume it's the same person every time?

As others have said the police can act if you are blocked in, but won't help if you can't access the drive.

You could put a notice on the wall saying 'No parking -Drive in constant use'.

Have you left a polite note on their windscreen?

Also, you might call the Council and see how they feel about their access to the grit bucket being blocked, especially in these weather conditions.

DD

If You Have A Car Parked IN FRONT OF A Driveway Causing An "obstruction", It Should Be Removed By The Police.

I Have No Problems Removing Vehicles Upon Request. I Only Need One Of Two Reasons...

Dangerous Position (many Examples)

Obstruction.

If Any Of Your Scenarios Do Not Fit Into The Above Then That Vehicle Will Not Be Removed!!

Edited by PCSTAMPER

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm new here, just popped on here to let you guys know of a family member scenario.

Basically neighbour being as irratating and causing stress as much as possible since my family member had their drive put in. They park really inconsiderately so that my family member cannot turn right out of their drive.

Council have been contacted who painted a white line but neighbour ignores it and parks like a complete idiot still. The final straw came when a friend stayed over the 1 night at my family but parked outside the neighbours house who doesn't have a driveway. The neighbour went round shouting abuse and told the friend to move their car!

My family have been round to try and reslove but the neighbours are very cunning and act really nice to your face but carry on being inconsiderate regardless.

The community police officers are now involved and are about to warn this neighbour of anti-social behaviour. My family driveway may be widened slightly. Police are in talks with the council about it. Oh, if the neighbour blocks the drive regardless if there is a car or not on the drive, police have assured my family that they DO have the powers to remove the offending vehicle especially if it's a re-occurring.

My family were asked to take some pics for evidence, as the neighbour told the police they only parked over the line when there is no where else to park which is a lie as this neighbour only works part time and is home before anyone else!

Hopefully that will give anyone some hope who maybe going through the same problems!!

• 1 year later...
i'm having this problem, visitors to my neighbour's property constantly block my driveway deliverately and ignore any written notices etc. Sometimes i cannot get out and sometimes into my property. I'm in the middle of a dispute with my neighbour and he's doing this to annoy me.

What can i do?

If you can't get out call police and get it towed, tell them you have to get to work or an important appintment, if you can't get in nothing you can do. could always start parking there yourself, especially if you know when visitors are coming.

good luck.

If you can't get out call police and get it towed, tell them you have to get to work or an important appintment, if you can't get in nothing you can do. could always start parking there yourself, especially if you know when visitors are coming.

good luck.

This thread is over 12 months old!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

If it is a public road they have the right to park on it but if they are obstructing your driveway you can call the police and they will remove it. I've had the same problems and this is what police told me. Also check their tax and mot discs are up to date.

LOL

If it is a public road they have the right to park on it but if they are obstructing your driveway you can call the police and they will remove it. I've had the same problems and this is what police told me. Also check their tax and mot discs are up to date.

The new poster knows something this longer termer doesn't.

What is an MOT disc?

Do I need one when/if I return to UK?

I hope this isn't yet another potential plant, building posts.