Mbna 'agreement' - now threat of legal action

underdog13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So are you the one with the poodle or the yappy yorkshire terrier CB?:D;)

Ah, now that would be telling wouldnt it:p

I sent a message last night to the team but not heard anything yet maybe it was because I used the red triangle instead of a PM to a site team member ?

Ill give it until the morning if i still hear nothing ill PM a site team member instead.

Regards

PF

I guess it all depends what you asked when you clicked on the red triangle, PF. Generally the reason for hitting that is to bring a particular post/important question/cry for urgent help to the attention of the site team. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ah, now that would be telling wouldnt it:p

I guess it all depends what you asked when you clicked on the red triangle, PF. Generally the reason for hitting that is to bring a particular post/important question/cry for urgent help to the attention of the site team. :)

but the under the msg box it says:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

but the under the msg box it says:

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

dx

This is absolutely true. However, as long as some discretion has been used in the clicking then it can be used where an urgent response is requested, especially where a person has an ongoing court case and is up against a deadline.

The site team are few and the requests for help are many. Sometimes a thread can get lost.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have a mbna/virgin agreement dated 2002 similair to the ones posted above recently provided after 2 months by 1st Credit. I also am sure that it is a cut and paste job, if for nothing else that any graphic designer would produce such a messy back page.

Anyway, reading the letter from 1st Credit, they admit that they have sent me an 'edited' version. There's no way that is a compliant version under the terms of a CCA request then.

Upon closer inspection of the small print in the rh column, it refers to various sections that are not present.

Think thats them stuffed.

appfront.jpg

backofagreement.jpg

letterfrom1stwitheditedinfofrommbna.jpg

Any thoughts?

Edited by Nomore Baloney
added stuff

Exactly what do they mean by "edited"....

Under no circumstances would I send them a copy of a driving licence or passport.

If they are uncertain who you are, why have they been writing begging letters to you for so long ?.

BCOBS

It looks like a template to be honest so most of it is irrelevant. But it probably does why everyone has been getting upset about their stuff from MBNA which is the same as mine.

If 1st credit are admitting they are editing the information required under the CCA requests, surely that is illegal?

Either way, it makes them all unenforcable IMHO.

Hmm Is it worth asking what exactly! they have edited out/in?

After all if they've provided a copy which has your signature/your address/the OC's signature... what else worth leaving out is there and therefore the editing must have been to add something?

Under the Important Data Protection part it states you must "read condition 13 in the terms & conditions provided" implying its a separate sheet that was sent thus enforcing the prescribed terms being in a seperate booklet as you suggest.

Also was your credit limit shown in the apr table? if not and if no statement declaring how to work out the apr if its not listed in the table then thats another possible avenue of unenforcability according to PT

From pt2537

let me expand slightly

The law as we all know requires a "A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement"

So on the MBNA agreement it says £1000, £3000 & £5000 yes?

and under each amount of credit it says the various rates , Yes?

So what if your credit limit isnt there?

What if your credit limit was £10,000? £15,000 ???

there is nothing within the agreement to qualify the rate of interest if your credit limit isnt set out on the agreement? with me so far?

So MBNA may try and argue that the full details are found in a set of terms and conditions somewhere which we dont know about blah blah blah

Well that angle fails at the first hurdle as the Agreement Regulations , at Reg 2(4) requires all this info to be set out as a whole and not interspersed with other info so it cannot be set out elsewhere

so if your credit limit was different to that stated on your agreement KERCHING:wink:

does that help???????????????

PmW

It looks like a template to be honest so most of it is irrelevant. But it probably does why everyone has been getting upset about their stuff from MBNA which is the same as mine.

If 1st credit are admitting they are editing the information required under the CCA requests, surely that is illegal?

Either way, it makes them all unenforcable IMHO.

They are allowed to remove "certain" items that pertain to security.. i.e. signature box, names/addresses... anything else is a no-no according to a "true-copy" according to the regs as far as I understand it.

I think I will write back asking them what has been edited, because as it stands, the info they have supplied is in no way an enforceable agreement as it is missing several important prescribed terms.

Also, it is not a 'true' copy as stipulated in the '74 CCA.

In their first paragraph, a) they want you to verify that's your signature and they'll send a you a complete copy.

I would just confirm that and see what you get back as a complete copy:confused:

Am about to do it myself:-x

I think they have edited out a couple of sensitive details on the front (but not very well!) at least that’s what they did on mine – mothers maiden name and bank details.

I wrote to them asking them to confirm if the reverse of the document is an exact copy – see what they come back with.

Good idea NB, please keep us posted on any replies you get.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but if they are sending out info similair to the stuff I have recieved, and in the small print it says 'edited' then I would guess thats its not fraudulent, but very misleading.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted.

Interestingley, in a previous letter from 1st C, they told me that I shouldn't use info or templates from unregulated forums as the info is often wrong and that I should use a solicitor or CAB.

Watchdog would love them. Rogue traders would love them even more.

Hehe Nomore,

And remember we shouldn't receive threats from unregulated DCA's

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but if they are sending out info similair to the stuff I have recieved, and in the small print it says 'edited' then I would guess thats its not fraudulent, but very misleading.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted.

Interestingley, in a previous letter from 1st C, they told me that I shouldn't use info or templates from unregulated forums as the info is often wrong and that I should use a solicitor or CAB.

Watchdog would love them. Rogue traders would love them even more.

No worries - hi jack away;):)

I think it is how and why they intend to mislead you; if they are attempting to make an uneneforceable agreement enforceable, then they are misleading to seek financial gain and that's fraud:D

Found this on another thread;

The Fraud Act is small as it contains only 16 sections plus 3 schedules.

All Theft Act deception offences are abolished to be replaced by 3 new fraud offences: fraud by misrepresentation.......fraud by failing to disclose information and fraud by abuse of position..

Under section 1 a person is guilty of fraud if they are in breach of any offences in sections 2,3,4.

Under Section 2 representation must be made dishonestly which is established under the two-stage test as set out in Rv Gosh (1982) QB 1053, 75 Cr App R 154 in which the defendant was dishonest by the standards of ordinary people

Subsection (1)(b) requires that the representation is made with the intention of making a gain for himself or causing a loss or risk of loss to another. Loss and gain are defined in section 5 as being money or property

Section 3: Fraud by failing to disclose information

18. Section 3 makes it an offence to commit fraud by failing to disclose information to another person where there is a legal duty to disclose the information. A legal duty to disclose information may include duties under oral contracts as well as written contracts. The concept of "legal duty" is explained in the Law Commission's Report on Fraud, which said at paragraphs 7.28 and 7.29:

"7.28 ..Such a duty may derive from statute (such as the provisions governing company prospectuses), from the fact that the transaction in question is one of the utmost good faith (such as a contract of insurance), from the express or implied terms of a contract, from the custom of a particular trade or market, or from the existence of a fiduciary relationship between the parties (such as that of agent and principal).

7.29 For this purpose there is a legal duty to disclose information not only if the defendant's failure to disclose it gives the victim a cause of action for damages, but also if the law gives the victim a right to set aside any change in his or her legal position to which he or she may consent as a result of the non-disclosure. For example, a person in a fiduciary position has a duty to disclose material information when entering into a contract with his or her beneficiary, in the sense that a failure to make such disclosure will entitle the beneficiary to rescind the contract and to reclaim any property transferred under it."

More specifically, section 3 states:

3 Fraud by failing to disclose information

A person is in breach of this section if he-

(a) dishonestly fails to disclose to another person information which he is under a legal duty to disclose, and

(b) intends, by failing to disclose the information

(i) to make a gain for himself or another

(ii) to cause loss to another or to expose another to a risk of loss

Gain and Loss Specified

5 "Gain" and "loss"

(1) The references to gain and loss in sections 2 to 4 are to be read in accordance with this section.

(2) "Gain" and "loss"-

(a) extend only to gain or loss in money or other property;

(b) include any such gain or loss whether temporary or permanent;

Hi All

I am going through a similar process with first credit and received this letter, you might want to check my thread to see my reply and their subsequent response.........

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/175080-virgin-card-mbna-cca.html

Your views on this and the way to progress would be appreciated but at the very least it will give you some indication of 1st Credits next move.

Bozalt

I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Nomore, I wonder if it would be worth you telephoning the ICO and see what they have to say about all of this.

BCOBS

Nomore, I wonder if it would be worth you telephoning the ICO and see what they have to say about all of this.

The ICO have just squeezed my SAR out of MBNA at last but they QUOTE are unable to look into requests made under the CCA UNQUOTE

They suggest I try the OFT for that :mad:

I think the CPR route is the only one for that:?

Edited by AA99
spelling

MBNA sent an identical copy of my alleged agreement in my SAR agreement which they had sent in response to my original CCA request implying but not actually saying that the two pages photocopied on the back and front of same page are part of the same document,They imply that my application form has a page overleaf which has prescribed terms on it,It is worrying that they still implying this on a sar request CCA as i thought a sar had to be represented more accuaratly .However a few weeks i wrote to them to ask them to confirm that the two pages were part of the same document and for an appointment to view document if it was,You would have though even if they did not write back to arrange an appointment for me to view it they would at least have the courtsey to reply and to also confim whether those two pages are attached:mad:

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,