• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court claim from Lloyds TSB - Advice needed please.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5466 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Joan!

If it were me, I'd Appeal.

This is yet another example of the Litigant in Person being at a severe disadvantage compared to a bank who can afford to instruct Counsel.

You did well, but the institutional odds were heavily stacked against you simply because you were not represented by a professional Barrister.

All of your points about the crabby copy agreement were, and remain, valid.

The cr*p about: this was standard industry practice and was accepted as such was just offensive.

This was just another example of how the banks can force the Court to accept 3rd rate evidence just because they have paid for a Barrister to make this rubbish sound 1st rate (backed up by a tame banker willing to swear himself senseless to convince the Judge that their evidence would've been perfect had they had the original copies of it).

This is a complete disgrace.

I would Appeal, but an Appeal would mean going through this all again. However, until more people challenge such Judgments, the situation will get worse and worse each time the banks get away with this.

However, one strong Appeal could turn the tables on them, as it could potentially set a precedent that will stop such nonsense. For such an Appeal to stand any chance, the Appellant must secure the services of a highly competent Barrister to handle it, as I think you will all now agree.

The Appellant must also be one mad, bad and determined b*gger not in the slightest bit phased about taking these bankers on.

;)

Cheers,

BRW

Hi just been reading through this and am really sorry that you lost. I feel impending doom for my own fight but I must be strong no matter what. I hope your both ok, you should be proud of standing up to these "people", going to court is no easy thing, and think of all those who dont stand up to them!!

Take care

fedup

I agree with BRW.. Joan is obviously out of funds. Is there any chance of a Pro Bono Appeal here for Joan ? In view of the 'travesty of justice' that has apparently taken place ....?

Remember Penelope Wilson won on appeal.

The only sanction against such judgements - is to Appeal.

• there was no audit trail regarding document authenticity,

• there was no forewarning of the intention to introduce Heresay Evidence,

• There was a breach of Civil Procedure Rules which require the original document to be produced in Court.

Edited by shakespeare62

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law and litigation privilege

Please see the following copyright statement

I agree with BRW.. Joan is obviously out of funds. Is there any chance of a Pro Bono Appeal here for Joan ? In view of the 'travesty of justice' that has apparently taken place ....?

Remember Wilson won on appeal.

Good point!

With regards to the terms that banks swear were on the original agreement (and we are certain they weren't), couldn't the print company be called as a witness?

The banks don't print these applications up themselves, they would use a professional print company - whose files would show conclusively and incontravertabley what exactly was on the original?!

Hiya both

i do hope that book is a best seller for you that would be good

a learning curve for all of us and im so sorry this was the final outcome

best to have fought and lost then never to have fought at all, i like that,,,,and above all your own integrity and belief was never sold that truely is inspiring

good luck and above all remain positive in your lives

laters angel x

I just have to reply to this. Angel you are such a sweetie, wherever you go on anyones thread despite your owm problem you lift everyone up. You are a lil treasure XXXX

Milly XX

• Haha 1

CAPITAL ONE (O/H!): Won £1864.63 including contractual :D

GE MONEY: WON £266.00

There is a link below to the Bar PRO BONO unit - Joan might want to contact them / investigate ASAP :-

Criteria

If not there may be others. I imagine supplying them with a link to this thread, would help, as well as the key points regarding the Claimants failure to provide audit trails on document authenticity etc. / Notice of Assignment .....

I believe you have 21 days to Appeal

Here's another link (for more try a google search on 'pro bono' - UK results only)

http://www.simmons-simmons.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=about_us.select_left&page=647

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law and litigation privilege

Please see the following copyright statement

Joan, I am so sorry to hear this. {{}}

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Bad luck and bad news all round.

This bit strikes me as being of interest:

Should this be acceptable? Any 'normal' business has to keep important documentation for, what is it, six years? So surely for any account less than six years old the creditor must be able to produce the original application / agreement? IMHO it beggars belief that such an important document can be destroyed on a whim and for the courts to uphold the right to do this?

Unfortunately, Joan's account was from 1998.

sorry for the outcome..i think the 6 years is from cessation of contract if my memory isnt playing games.

I'll come back later but, just before I go off on my bike:

CPR PD 16 states that the original "should" be produced in court, not that it 'must' or 'shall'; crucial difference.

If it stated 'must', then it would contradict the Civil Evidence Act which allows for the submission of a copy of a document as evidence, where the original cannot be produced, provided the court is satisfied as to its authenticity. This applies no matter how many remove copies are made. In this case, the bank's officer swearing under oath to this end was enough for the judge.

As for disputing the agreement itself, the judge himself, in the trial, directed Joan's attention to the name, address and other details, including the signature, and at each, asked her "is that your name..." etc. Because cilvil trials allow for judges to make 'balance of probability' decisions, rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt', as in criminal trials, he then declared that 'on balance of probability', the copy was of the front of Joan's agreement. That merely left the copy of the 'rear' containing the T&C, to be determined, as to whether it was the actual rear and whether it contained all that it should.

Because the bank could show that all their credit card applications have the same back page, and that this standard document does in fact meet requirements, he deemed it irrelevant that the actual copy submitted was illegible. If the front had been illegible too, particularly the handwritten parts, he did point out that the case may well have been different.

To be fair to the judge, he did state that, if they had not been able to produce the original or a copy of it, then we would have won. Similarly, if the documents produced could be demonstrably shown NOT to contain the prescribed terms, we would have won as well. In this context, the illegibility of the back page worked against us as well as them.

The issue of verifiable parentage for the copies seemed not to matter, provided the bank's officer was prepared to swear that the copies were true, and that the procedure for copying, destruction and retrieval were industry standard.

We can't afford an appeal. Full stop. And to be honest, brave though Joan was and no matter how hard she fought, I doubt she'd be prepared to go through it again unless a barrister were doing the talking. A L.I.P. has to have a better case than ours, I think, to meet a barrister head on in an open-court trial. Small Claims may be different however, I'm not sure.

We're both still grateful for all the help we've had off the CAG members, and we both have other battles to fight too, so the lessons learned here are valuable ones for us both. Fortunately, I hope, most if not all of those are with DCAs, who are less determined, less rich and less wel armoured than Big Banks. :)

Edited by joan_of_arc

Hi, 'Mr Joan' here again. Well, we tried to argue that, as the T&C were illegible, the part of them that the DN referred to was not identifiable, rendering the DN void. The judge was having none of it and in his judgement, didn't even refer to it.

Just a small point for you to check regarding charging orders – on the current t&c’s for my LTSB card there is a term that states:

This agreement is unsecured regardless of the terms of any security charge you may have given, or may in the future give, to us in relation to other borrowings.

If you have a similar term written into your t&c’s then perhaps you could argue that a charging order (if they applied for one) would be a breach of those terms – just a thought.

sorry for the outcome..i think the 6 years is from cessation of contract if my memory isnt playing games.

Your memory isnt playing games. Statutory documents, which an agreement is .. should be retained for 6 years AFTER the agreement ends.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just a small point for you to check regarding charging orders – on the current t&c’s for my LTSB card there is a term that states:

This agreement is unsecured regardless of the terms of any security charge you may have given, or may in the future give, to us in relation to other borrowings.

If you have a similar term written into your t&c’s then perhaps you could argue that a charging order (if they applied for one) would be a breach of those terms – just a thought.

Very interesting, I will have a look to see if that appears on mine as well, thanks atwozee:)

BCOBS

Your memory isnt playing games. Statutory documents, which an agreement is .. should be retained for 6 years AFTER the agreement ends.

What does this mean in practice? Say a lender is suing for a sub-6 year old debt and they claim they cannot produce the original agreement?

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

What does this mean in practice? Say a lender is suing for a sub-6 year old debt and they claim they cannot produce the original agreement?

Pete

Pete, have a read of this thread and you will see what it means :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/93884-wescot-rbofs-oh-dear.html

HTH

BCOBS

Here you go Joan... I lifted this information from one of pt2537's defences.

Interesting. Where is that stipulated?

“Document Retention

According to sections 221 and 222 of the Companies Act 1985, a public company is required to maintain records for a period of six years (section 222(5)(b).

As a loan agreement is active until the agreement is terminated, I would suggest that all the payment records (and other documents making up the file - including the agreement/application etc) would be "live" until the account is paid, or terminated - thus, the full file should be retained for at least six years after that.

This interpretation fits in with Inland Revenue legislation that requires prime documents to be retained for a period of six years - AFTER THE END OF THE RELEVANT ACCOUNTING PERIOD. That would mean some files need to be retained for up to seven years. The relevant legislation is found in Schedule 18 of the Finance Act 1998 (paragraph 21) - of particular significance is sub-paragraph (6) which states:

"The duty to preserve records under this paragraph includes a duty to preserve all supporting documents relating to the items mentioned in sub-paragraph (5)(a) and (b)."

Finally, key documents/application forms etc must be kept until 5 years after that business relationship has ended. This is a requirement of The Money Laundering Regulations 1993, 2003 and 2007.

BCOBS

Interesting but unclear. The relevant section of the Finance act reads thus:

Duty to keep and preserve records

21 (1) A company which may be required to deliver a company tax return for any period must—

(a) keep such records as may be needed to enable it to deliver a correct and complete return for the period, and

(b) preserve those records in accordance with this paragraph.

(2) The records must be preserved for six years from the end of the period for which the company may be required to deliver a company tax return.

(3) If the company is required to deliver a company tax return by notice given before the end of that six year period, the records must be preserved until any later date on which—

(a) any enquiry into the return is completed, or

(b) if there is no enquiry, the Inland Revenue no longer have power to enquire into the return.

(4) If the company is required to deliver a company tax return by notice given after the end of that six year period and has in its possession at that time any records that may be needed to enable it to deliver a correct and complete return, it is under a duty to preserve those records until the date on which—

(a) any enquiry into the return is completed, or

(b) if there is no enquiry, the Inland Revenue no longer have power to enquire into the return.

(5) The records required to be kept and preserved under this paragraph include records of—

(a) all receipts and expenses in the course of the company’s activities, and the matters in respect of which the receipts and expenses arise, and

(b) in the case of a trade involving dealing in goods, all sales and purchases made in the course of the trade.

(6) The duty to preserve records under this paragraph includes a duty to preserve all supporting documents relating to the items mentioned in sub-paragraph (5)(a) and (b).

Supporting documents” includes accounts, books, deeds, contracts, vouchers and receipts.

However, the act goes on to say:

Preservation of information instead of original records

22 (1) The duty under paragraph 21 to preserve records may be satisfied by the preservation of the information contained in them, except in the case of records of the kinds specified in sub-paragraph (3) below.

(2) Where information is so preserved a copy of any document forming part of the records is admissible in evidence in any proceedings before the Commissioners to the same extent as the records themselves.

(3) The records excluded from sub-paragraph (1) are—

(a) any statement in writing such as is mentioned in—

(i) section 234(1) of the Taxes Act 1988 (amount of qualifying distribution and tax credit), or

(ii) section 352(1) of that Act (gross amount, tax deducted and actual amount paid, in certain cases where payments are made under deduction of tax),

provided by the company or person there mentioned whether after the making of a request or otherwise;

(b) any certificate or other record (however described) required by regulations under section 566(1) of the Taxes Act 1988 to be given to a sub-contractor (within the meaning of Chapter IV of Part XIII of that Act) on the making of a payment to which section 559 of that Act applies (deductions on account of tax);

© any record relating to an amount of tax—

(i) paid under the law of a territory outside the United Kingdom, or

(ii) which would have been so payable but for a relief to which section 788(5) of the Taxes Act 1988 applies (relief for promoting development or contemplated by double taxation arrangements).

Contracts are not stated as being excluded from 22(1) so is this a let out for lenders?

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I

We can't afford an appeal. Full stop. And to be honest, brave though Joan was and no matter how hard she fought, I doubt she'd be prepared to go through it again unless a barrister were doing the talking. A L.I.P. has to have a better case than ours, I think, to meet a barrister head on in an open-court trial.

Hi Joan here. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and good wishes:) Thank you also for the pms which are much appreciated and which I will answer in full in my next block of social networking time.

Mr Joan is right, there is no way I'm going back to court. The main thing that made it all so ghastly was the knowledge that I was completely out of my depth. My job, the area in which I feel confident in my abilities, is being an author, not being a barrister.

I don't see it as a case of "us" being "us innocent punters" and "them" being the Scooby Doo baddies in the castle, the judge was very fair and considerate of my position as a LIP, and the barrister was lovely, actually. They were just doing their jobs and they earnt my respect by their conduct rather than their position.

And as Mr Joan says, no question of appeal. We lost, it's book material filed away now, nothing more, time to move on to the next challenge in my list, rueful smile.

BCOBS