Are you a victim of deceptive pricing? - Shrinking Groceries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't think you are. If you buy the most natural stuff you can then add your own water and get a low fat version in bigger quantities than if you'd bought the low fat stuff - so the normal stuff is, in fact, cheaper.
Only if you want low-fat stuff, though and some (many) of us don't. The fact is if you want the stuff as is meant to be (full fat), you are expected to pay more than for the low-fat stuff.

When "diet" products started tocome out he said the manufactures were laughing all the way to the bank because it cost them so much less to produce than the normal stuff but it cost the punter the same to buy. Things haven't changed
Don't I know it. From hydrogenated fats and margarine (*spits*) to stuff filled up with sugar to thicken it and give it substance and binding... Disgusting... But that would be a whole new thread to itself... :-|

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, bookie, you are paying (cost per unit when you buy) more for the full fat stuff than the low fat stuff because the low fat stuff is packed with cheap fillers and water. Therefore the normal stuff is, in fact, a better buy though, on the face of it, it may seem more expensive.

I don't understand why you have a problem with this.

If you buy the "natural" stuff you don't get the cheap additives. Yes, on the face of it is is more expensive. But check how much is filler in the low fat stuff and the fact is the low fat stuff is extremely expensive bearing in mind the cheap fillers.

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

My problem with it is that people who are on a tight budget are being forced to make dietary choices which are unhealthier (even though packaged as healthier :rolleyes:). Don't get me wrong, it's not just the LF stuff I have problems with, I have the same issue with fast food, and many other things. :razz:

I don't agree.

If you're on a tight budget then why not buy a 500ml pot of "normal" natural yogurt. It's cheaper than the individual low fat pots, can be "stretched" by adding fruit (fresh or tinned) and is generally far nicer than the so-called fruit yogurts.

Mayonnaise - buy the expensive sort and add water.

Steak mince (low fat) is more expensive than cheap mince (high fat). You have a choice - do you want to eat less (but better) meat or more (but fatty) meat.

Double cream - more expensive than single cream. Add milk of you want thinner cream. I had "top of milk" when I was growing up.

I still don't see why, in your opinion, this is deceptive pricing. Better quality may seem to cost more per unit it but actually it costs less because it is "whole" and not packed with fillers; you can "stretch" it if you want/need to - but generally the better the quality of the food you buy the less you want to eat.

Edited by bottomburp

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

but generally the better the quality of the food you buy the less you want to eat.

Well I bought a pack of Tomatoes on the vine the other day - "finest" or whatever it is, and they're simply scrummy. Nearly as good as the ones I used to get from a local farm shop.

My flatmate however decided that they make a rather nice snack and polished them off on the day I bought them :mad:.

Well I bought a pack of Tomatoes on the vine the other day - "finest" or whatever it is, and they're simply scrummy. Nearly as good as the ones I used to get from a local farm shop.

My flatmate however decided that they make a rather nice snack and polished them off on the day I bought them :mad:.

Sorry, should have thought of that - my daughter does the same thing! There are exceptions!

I usually get sausage rolls for my OH's son to take to work with his packed lunch. Now a few weeks ago they had packs of 6, so I got 2 packs for a £1, they have now reduced it down to 5 in a pack. I'm now waiting for them to be reduced to packs of 4, they call them Roll backs or price cuts, more like produce & packaging cuts.:mad:

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was looking for cosmetics stuff in tesco's yesterday I wanted moisteriser etc.. they'd got loads of Olay products on a 2 for £6 deal - but they'd been clever and separated these offer lines an a shelf well higher than where the ordinary priced products were.

I had to laugh when the products I bought were normal prices of £7.99 and £6.99 would be £14.98 and I got them both for £6.00 - just goes to show we need to look higher and lower at these shelves to spot the deals.

There is another trick I have noticed, and the main culprits are Tesco, and to a lesser extent, Sainsbury's.

Take a closer look at those BOGOF offers. Looks tempting, doesn't it? Take a look at what the price really is - you'll often find that the price is too high to start with. Here's a ficticious (sp?) example:

A packet of biscuits is on a BOGOF offer - two packets for £1.25. Looks good in itself, but you know for a fact that you wouldn't pay £1.25 for a single packet, they are usually on sale at around 90p.

This tactic I consider to be sneaky. OK, so you are saving money, but they are exaggerating how much the savings really are...

You're right, this normally is the case - I used to work on the entertainment department of a major UK store and it took years to realise that when they had a BOGOF promotion, on say, DVDs - the price would be around £16.99 each.

When the promotion ended, they would be on at around £9.99 each.

It took me years to realise and I was the one changing the prices, so I'm not surprised no-one else noticed!!

It's crazy.

PS - good to see you back SpiceSkull!! :)

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I'd like to know how long HMV think a "sale" should last for. There is a boxset of CDs which has been "on sale" at a certain price for at least two years now.

The law really does need changing in this area

Anyone with young kids has gotta appreciate the hell I go through with this one....

BABY WIPES!

It's insane. Every brand comes in different quantities per pack, which seems to change along with price on a weekly basis (at least!). Not to mention the various 'offers' for bulk buys.

Theoretical figures, but proves a point.

Own brand baby wipes, 71p/pack

Named baby wipes, £3.54 for a 4-pack

Own brand has 54/pack

Named brand has 68/pack

Which looks best value? ;)

The wife gives me strange looks when I stand in the shop working out which one is best value each and every week. Many a time I've walked out with a bag full of individual packs instead of a multi-pack...

Edited by Aterlatus

I find the same problem with other products. I recently decided to bite the bullet and put up with the strange looks and take a calculator with me!

There really should be no need. Unless its a small shop, they should be putting on the price per unit for each item so that a comparison can be made.

I've noticed though that Tesco label their own products in price per gram or ML and price brand products by the kilo or litre, making their own brand at first glance looking rather cheap!

There really should be no need. Unless its a small shop, they should be putting on the price per unit for each item so that a comparison can be made.

SHOULD being the operative word here! Is it a legal requirement?

Sometimes they do [put price per sheet] and sometimes they don't.

Sometimes they put £2 per kg less (and the less is so tiny you wouldn't notice it unless you look carefully).

The way the supermarkets price goods is getting increasingly confusing. As you say sometimes they put price per 250ml unit / per 100ml/100mg / per 1kg.

I frequently hear couples discussing which price is, in fact, better value.

Anyone with young kids has gotta appreciate the hell I go through with this one....

BABY WIPES!

It's insane. Every brand comes in different quantities per pack, which seems to change along with price on a weekly basis (at least!). Not to mention the various 'offers' for bulk buys.

Theoretical figures, but proves a point.

Own brand baby wipes, 71p/pack

Named baby wipes, £3.54 for a 4-pack

Own brand has 54/pack

Named brand has 68/pack

Which looks best value? ;)

The wife gives me strange looks when I stand in the shop working out which one is best value each and every week. Many a time I've walked out with a bag full of individual packs instead of a multi-pack...

Oh yes, been there. Luckily we have a Quality Save in our town which blasts everyone out of the water :)

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

I got very annoyed the other day as I was trying to buy a bottle of good port to take to France. Tesco's prices were labelled as either £x / litre, then £x / 500 ml, and for some other bottles £x / 750 ml, making it virtually impossible to work out what was what simply by reading the labels, which is what they're supposed to be for after all. :mad:

Oh, and suntan lotion? Don't get me started on them!!! :-x

SHOULD being the operative word here! Is it a legal requirement? .

Yep it is under the Price Marking Order 2004 (i think - not got legislation to hand). Very basically, shops over a certain size must display the total price of an item as well as the appropriate unit price where appropriate and depending on how its sold and its quantity.

It is a little complex and a bit difficult to enforce (namely becasue the supermarkets just have to sign tick sheets to get away with murder). I usuall count myself lucky if I can find a price at all - never mind the unit price!

If you have a Lidl near you, use them. Years ago, I thought that cheap=poor quality. Not true. For example Lidl sell steak or chicken and ham pies for £1.79 and have large chunks of meat in them. Tescos nearest equivalent costs £2.99 (or more), contains small/tiny bits of meat and is chock full of onion to enhance the otherwise bland flavour.

Oh, and their baby wipes are 99p for 80 and have been that price for the last 2 years.

If Lidl can do it and still turn a profit, why can't Tesco? (that was a rhetorical question)

I've noticed though that Tesco label their own products in price per gram or ML and price brand products by the kilo or litre, making their own brand at first glance looking rather cheap!

I see what you are saying here BUT when it comes to items like soap powder tablets/gel pouches - although it breaksdown per item/unit - often the packs have different units per wash = some liquid pouches you'd need two pouches per wash load - others you'd need only one pouch.

Some very clever labelling going on within supermarkets I must say.

I think the funniest item I seen to date was yesterday in BOOTS - OH wanted new blades for his electric razor/shaver - when I eventually found the prices for the replacement heads/blades things - it was cheaper to buy a whole new electric razor by £20 than to order the replacement parts I was looking for. Meant he'd a whole new razor updated version of same razor and a new guarantee etc..

It was absolutely pointless to buy the replacement parts when the razor was on a half price offer as a newer version of same thing.

Razor blades full stop are evil - one thing to look out for is often you get a full sized 'holder' for blades in a new razor, but only 1/2 blades actually in it. Can often seem like a new razor is the cheaper option when in reality you're getting half (or less!) the cutting-power for well more than half the price!

I recently had to switch to the old face shredders (disposables) because the price of blades rocketed so much :(

Oh yeah, the other one - often you'll find identical blades with vastly different prices. If a certain un-named brand has a regular razor and, say, one that vibrates you'll find the blades for the vibrator (ohh err missus) are invariably priced higher even though they're EXACTLY the same thing!