Bank error in my favour??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5797 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got a letter from my bank which said my employers were quoting the wrong reference numbers when paying my salary, so they were having to do it manually. I then checked my account and it had been done twice.No contact has been made on this error what should I do? Is there a time limit then it becomes mine? I still have all the money but have put it in a high interest account untill resolved.:???:

Keeping monies that you know to be transfered in error can constitute a criminal offence (ie; Theft), If you know the monies has been transfered in an error you should inform the bank, how you inform them is up to you, ideally in writing though, it is then up to the bank to resolve. But if you earn any interest on it that is also money that doesn't belong to you, and therefore you can not keep.

You've asked for advice and that is all I've offered, it is of course upto you how you proceed.

1) Bank may do nothing, and allow you to keep it (Extremely unlikely)

2) Bank may come back for it in a few month time, and just take it back

3) Bank may inform the facts of the matter to the police.

In my opinion, and thats all it is, my OWN opinion, the bank will opt for option 2, and just take it back. But with how banks are acting these days, who knows what they'll do, don't give them the chance to get the police involved.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

It will never become your unfortunately.

Wait a while and see if they contact you about it first, you have done the best thing that could be done with it, put it into a interest paying account.

Now all you have to do is to stall the repayment as long as possible, but if after 28 days they have not contacted you, then you should report it.

Is there a time limit then it becomes mine?

Never, It's not your money, they will notice and chase you for it :)

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

As always with situations like this - my first thought would be: If I had acidentally transferred money to the wrong account (remember, bank transfers go by a/c no' and sort code, not the name!) then I'd hope that the person who had the "windfall" would speak up and wonder why he had a bit too much money in his account :)

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

... Or maybe next month your employer may not pay you as they've paid you twice in one month?

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

As always with situations like this - my first thought would be: If I had acidentally transferred money to the wrong account (remember, bank transfers go by a/c no' and sort code, not the name!) then I'd hope that the person who had the "windfall" would speak up and wonder why he had a bit too much money in his account :)

Me too! but it seems as if it's no ones money you see they had to credit my account manually and added the same sum twice.