CCA, DCAs and the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it anyway baby:D

They constantly send demands to consumers who don't owe a penny so I see nothing wrong in sending any of them a CCA ...............just in case you understand;)

So take a pin.......................

Hi all,

this really is a very useful thread.

I know these are a bit hard going but they may be of interest!

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 No. 1277

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/oft_response_to_consultations/oft839.pdf

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

I've received a letter from Cabot this morning.

They've made a serious mistake in writing it. And I mean serious!:-x

I'm writing the reply to them now. But they've just committed a prohibited unfair commercial practice. Guess what it is? Amongst other things, they've threatened to record a default on my Credit Reference Files!

It's a threat! It's also a lie - and if Goldfish have sold this alleged debt to them, Goldfish are equally responsible, and guilty of a very serious breach of trust!

Prohibition of Unfair Commercial Practices

3 © It is aggressive under the provisions of regulation 7

7 (1) a) It significantly impairs or is likely significantly to impair the average consumer's freedom of choice or conduct in relation to the product concerned through the use of harassment, coercion or undue influence; and

b) It thereby causes or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise

(3) In this regulation -

b) "undue influence" means exploiting a position of power in relation to the consumer so as to apply pressure, even without using or threatening to use physical force, in a way which significantly limits the consumer's ability to make an informed decision."

Threat of placing default on my Credit Reference Files, without any apparent authority to do so - exploiting a position of power!

I'm going to pursue them for this. CRAs = tools to threaten with.:-x

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

No they don't PF, Goldfish have reneged on an arrangement made with them in January this year, if they have. I've also not received any notice of assignment. I not only cleared the arrears on this account, but also confirmed with Goldfish what the payment should be, and have been paying them religiously.

I'll put the letter in a new thread.

My apologies if this has already been posted on here,.... I didn't spot it, but it is relevant I think........

BBC NEWS | Business | Compensation claims a step closer

Thanks for this link. This particular comment intrigues me.

"Some 31 specific practices will now be banned, and the law's wider duty not to trade unfairly is intended to avoid the need for a new law to cover every new [problem]. "

Where can we find more information regarding this to find out what these 31 specific practices are ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not sure I follow your post, Sosumi. If you've cleared your arrears with Goldfish why have you made a payment arrangement? And if you do have a payment arrangement, aren't GF still free to sell on/collect your debt if they so wish, the payment option being discretionary & not binding? Can you clarify please?

Take your point re. NOA though - def. out of order.

Would love to see Cabot (& the others) squirm under new regs. Hope you've got a case...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

please make a sentence out of the following words "worm+turned"

It looks like the along waited teeth are being installed to the previously powerless consumer. Let's see who, and how long it takes for the first cases to hit the courts.

This may explain the recent actions of certain company directors in their decisions to opt out of the "Debt Collection Industry" and concentrate on their other business interests

Having read some of the directive, I think it has already had an effect on the actions of Weightmans.

Briefly: They failed to tell me that in Dec 2006, one of the 2 HFC accounts they were handling was returned to the OC, but continued to cash cheques which were all clearly marked with both account numbers on the back.

All of a sudden, they returned the June 2008 cheque saying they could not cash it, because it had both account numbers on the back.

I thought this was due to the fact I had S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'ed HFC and they figured they had been tumbled. I am now thinking that it could be more to do with the above directive coming in during May.

What do you (collectively) think.

David

Edited by cashins

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/148467-sosumi-cabot.html#post1569984:) Edited by sosumi
Don't want to hijack BB's thread :)

I might be totally wrong here Sosumi but this is what I gather their problem is. From what you say, they didn't even send a default notice? I mean, before they can default you, they have to write to tell you what they expect you to do to remedy the situation. They can't just default you without doing that.

Is it worth writing to Cabot to tell them you want to carry on with the same arrangement as yu had before? Perhaps they will just be happy to be getting anything at all?

I do see that Goldfish seem to be selling on a lot of accounts. Even ones that are not in debt. Well, not in trouble. You know what I mean.