• Tweets

• Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

capital one

lynnuk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted a sar letter on the 22nd July same day as i posted NCO a letter telling them not to call at my house and that the account was in dispute. I recieved a letter from NCO this morning this is the letter. Dated 25 jul 2006

seventy two hour notice

You have been legally notified of this debt and you have chosen to ignore your liability to our client. The following alternatives are now available to you:

1) send £425.18 immediatelty

2) contact Ms ***** on **** *** **** to discuss this matter.

Failure to comply with either of these options can result in court action being instigated against you without further communication to yourself.

Can they do anything even though i have asked Capital One to take it back and how long do i have to wait for a reply to my SAR the haven't took the £10 out of my bank yet for the charge of it.

I would be grateful of any help. Thanks

I would phone Capital one right now and speak to them about it. Be firm with them and tell them you want them to take the debt back as it is in despute. they should contact NCO about it rather than you. that is what happened with my council tax arrears. you dont want them coming to your house and lifting all your stuff...

Recieved a letter from capital one on the 28th july sayin that they had recieved my letter and as soon as they had the statements they would send them to me. It's now the 2nd August and the £10 cheque i sent with the letter has still not gone out of my bank account does it usualy take this long for them to take the money off you.:confused:

Hi i sent my sSAR of on the 22nd July and recieved a letter from crap 1 on the 28th July saying the have recieved it and as sooon as they have the statements they will send them to me it is now the 10th August and i haven't heard anything and they still haven't cashed the £10 cheque. How long do i leave it b4 i can do something an what do i do nx. Any help would be much appreciated. Also i got another letter form NCO this morning asking me to phone them to discuss the account and organise a mutually acceptable resolution of it. :confused:

Hi lynn

I sent my SAR letter to cap one on 3 July which gave them til 14th August to send my statements. I received them yesterday....9th August...with 5 days to go til the deadline, I've read a few posts where people received their statements with only 1 day to go til the 40 day deadline was up.

They still haven't cashed my £10 cheque either, I don't think they will now but if they do then I'll just add it to my claim.

Hang in there Lynn, you will receive your statements. Count your 40 days from the date on their acknowledgement letter saying they had received your SAR, then that'll give you an idea of how long it should take.

Hope I've helped. Im pretty new to this myself. And I'm crapping myself as I've never done anything like this before! lol

• Confused 1

** Progress Report **

Capital One -

D.P.A. request sent R/D 3.7.06

Prelim letter claiming £900 sent R/D on 12.8.06.

Offered £345.60 25.8.06 - not accepting!

LBA sent r/d 1.9.06 = £1,249.51

Cap One refusal to increase offer rec'd 13.9.06

Lloyds TSB

D.P.A. letter sent by R/D 3.8.06

D.P.A. del'vrd 4.8.06 - 40 days=13.9.06

Statements that don't make sense rec'd 29.8.06

Cabot

CCA letter sent by R/D 3.8.06

CCA letter not yet del'vrd as at 15.8.06!!!!

Emailed Royal Mail 14.8.06 & await reply

Bank of Scotland

D.P.A. request sent by R/D 12.8.06

D.P.A. del'd 16.8.06

---------------------------

If you think I've helped please click on my scales - top right.

Thanks for that this is the first one i have done as well i have a couple of catalogue ones goin at the min though. Just counted 40 days and that take s them upto 7th september so i'll just sit and wait, let me know how u get on seen as u r just a bit in front of me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all post man knocked this morning with something i had to sign for when i opened it it was all my cap 1 statements i have had a quick glance through and think they have charged me about £300 in charges so by my reckonin i now only owe them abot 120 instead of the 420 the are asking for. Will have to start readin a few more on here now to see what i do next. Thanks:?

i've added up the late payment fees and overlimit fees and they come upto £320 do i have to add the interest on this an if so how so i do it. Are these the only things you add up or do you add the purchase interest rate as well (i'm a bit confussed now after sat reading a few posts on here).

Hope someone can help. Thanks

i've added up the late payment fees and overlimit fees and they come upto £320 do i have to add the interest on this an if so how so i do it. Are these the only things you add up or do you add the purchase interest rate as well (i'm a bit confussed now after sat reading a few posts on here).

Hope someone can help. Thanks

What about DD Reversed fee? I have read about this one also on Cap One, anything that is not either interest, cash advance or a purchase should be looked at closely, it may not at first glance appear to be a fee.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

I have a statement missing from sept 05 which they said they are trying to get and will send it to me as soon as they get it. Do i have to wait until this statement comes before i send the prelim letter off. Also i have a card protection on it one for £35 and one for £50 is there anything i can do about these. Thanks

Yes indeed!!

I claimed for DD reversed fees. These enraged me more than any other charge. Got charged £35 from my current account and then £20 from Cap One.

Over the top and unreasonable.

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06

Send off your prelim. Your claim can be amended up until you file at court - so still plenty of time for your missing statement to arrive.

I can't help with the other question, I'm afraid - anyone else?

Abbey Prelim Letter sent 16/06/06 - LBA sent 30/06/06 - MCOL served 22/07/06 - Acknowledged 26/07/06 - Defended 16/08/2006 - Settled 20/09/06 :o

Abbey 2 Prelim Letter sent 22/09/06

Abbey 2 LBA sent 9/10/06

MCOL 03/11/06

Cap One Prelim sent 28/06/06 - LBA sent 13/07/06

MCOL served 05/08/06 - Acknowledged 02/08/06 - Served 05/08/2006 -Settled in full 22/08/06 :D :D

Halifax Prelim sent 03/07/06 - LBA sent 17/07/06

MCOL issued 03/08/06 - settled in full 09/08/06 :D

MBNA S.A.R sent 21/08/06 Settled 21/09/06 :-o

Morgan Stanley S.A.R sent 29/09/06

I have a statement missing from sept 05 which they said they are trying to get and will send it to me as soon as they get it. Do i have to wait until this statement comes before i send the prelim letter off. Also i have a card protection on it one for £35 and one for £50 is there anything i can do about these. Thanks

You can send the letter now, no need to wait for the statement. It will be possible to amend your claim at the LBA stage or even right up until you actually file it.

As for the card protection fees, this is a service that you have bought and paid for, you cannot claim that these are unlawful charges.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

• 1 month later...

hi all sorry not been on 4 a bit had a bit of trouble at home. Anyway i sent me letter out an have recieved a reply dated 18th september , it's the normal we will reduce the £20 fees to the £12 fee so they are offering to take £128. off my bill instead of the £320. I am now gonna write a letter sayin i will accept that as part payment but i intend to go for the full amount. Has anyone got a copy of a letter like that just so i could have a look b4 i write it. Thanks

hi lynnuk

ive been searchin and searchin for about two hours for a letter saying exactly that.. someone has advised me to say in the lba that i will accept the offer as partial settlement and i do not accept this offer as full and final settlement and my acceptance does not prejudice my right to take you to court for the full amount..

perhaps someone will post a letter they have sent

karen

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

Hi Karen,

I'm sure you can cut and paste a paragraph from the letter in my capital one thread - link in signature :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Thanks for that i have written a letter out but am a bit confused now, this is a copy of my letter

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your letter dated 18th September 06.

I repectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £320.00.

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that i will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My letter before action sent previously indicates that you will have until xx/xx/xx to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale.

I trust this clarifies my posistion.

what is the letter b4 action? hope someone can help i'm gettin a bit lost lol once i get my head round this one i can start on lloyds one for b/friend

hi lynnuk

have you not sent the letter before action?. its in the library template section.. it gives them 14 days to come up with a full refund or you will commence court proceedings against them.. without further notice.. this is the problem i was having.. trying to incorporate the lba and the rejection of settlement offer... havent quite managed it yet!!

good luck

karen

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

Here is the letter I sent after receiving a part refund:

YOUR Street

Town

City

Postcode

Date

BANK NAME

Address

Address

Postcode

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX

Response to settlement offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £xxxx

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a County Court claim if necessary.

My letter before action sent previously indicates that you have until xx/xx/xx to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature]

[print name]

[/right]

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.