Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a little reminder.

'Bulk mail collection letters typically

cost 30 pence apiece. U.K. collectors,

including NCO Europe, typically send

out four to six letters per account to

make contact.

About 5% of accounts in the UK are

suitable for litigation.'

http://www.credit-manager.co.uk/other/CCR%20May07%20UKDebtCrisis.pdf

......which surely means 95% aren't 'suitable' for litigation, which once again raises the question, why let a third party get involved in the first place??

If your original creditor suddenly decides they don't want to deal with you anymore, it's not your fault if they don't want to take your money, they've already given up, taken the tax relief on the gigantic sum your comparatively miniscule loan came from, and passed your 'account' onto a third party to act as bullyboy they can hide behind to squeeze more out of you.

It says there in black and white, straight from the horses mouth, if you choose to ignore a DCA and not deal with them at all, there is a 95% chance it will go no further than threats and harassment, they have no option but to eventually give up.

Knowing how they work is all well and good, but they have absolutely no authority whatsoever and the fact they might come knocking on your door is just an extension of the bullying, as long as you refuse to acknowledge their involvement or right to collect there is, in the vast majority of cases, sweet FA they can do about it. It's the existence of DCA's and purchasers that allows OC's to charge off accounts far quicker than they ever did before, and look at the mess they've got us ALL into now.

If more people were prepared to stick to their guns, lenders wouldn't be so quick to charge off and DCA's would eventually have nobody to chase!!!!

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that Danny but some lenders are actually setting up in-house accounts in the debtors name against which they are adding large sums in the form of contractual interest AFTER Judgment

This allows them to come back later to chase the debtor again for a sum about which they had no knowledge ...............& if unsuccessful gives them a greater level of bad debt for set off against taxation.

In addition the branch carrying the delinquent debt gets to write it off it's books & everyone gets their annual bonuses

This has only come to light because one high street bank cocked up on a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) by inadvertently including this mysterious 'internal' account in the documents they sent the debtor

Yes I agree.

In a thread entitled "Inside a DCA" one would expect to see a discussion on the methods used by DCA's and how they work.

Any specific questions relating to an individual situation would be better dealt with in a separate thread on the forums.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Good evening to you all.

I actually think all you comments regarding my recent posts have been rather 'tame', because I have been a bit naughty these last few days.

It was actually this post that really got me thinking :rolleyes:

This sites all about letting people know their rights, helping them out of debt and stopping DCA walking all over them. Divorce, addiction, redundancy, illness and change of circumstances are all part of life. Loaning money is a risky business.

The DCAs should work with people not try and walk all over them!

and I must apologise to Slc79 for using the original question to move the thread in a direction I needed to go in order to highlight a very important point regarding DCAs. A point I will return to over the weekend.

But a brief intro: If you have followed this thread from the start you will notice my comments about 'doorstep calls' (post 566) was out of character to all previous post, and that was deliberate, and a bit Machiavellian (I have never knocked on anyones door 8-) ). But I would ask you read the post again and see if you can see where I'm going, and the point I'm making. look at the tone, and content (what does it remind you of?).

I'll let you think about that Saturday and then I'll explain before submitting my latest insight 'Legal loopholes'. After which it will all make sense.

..are we really following like sheep?

Maybe I gotta give back the medal again!!! :D

..and car, ever heard of 'variations on a theme'? Well like Dannyboy says dca's are a mutitude of sins and any variation is appropriate I feel on this thread-everything so far has been useful and enlightening to those who didn't have a clue about DCA's. IMHO..

MEANWHILE consider the dca aspect below

let's quote Sean Mahon chief executive of cattles in the 2006 annual report "THE DIVISION ALSO ACHIEVED A SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN THE NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS SETTLING THEIR AGREEMENTS EARLY DURING THE YEAR , WHICH FELL BY 10,000 TO 35,000 CUSTOMERS (2005 45,000) REDUCING THE DIRECT REPAYMENT EARLY SETTLEMENT RATIO TO 10% (2005 13%)"

EXaCTLY HOW DID you "persuade" people not to pay ???

WELL sean you certainly have "irish " logic there

reminds me of the "empty horse box" bringing the "non runners " to the race track !!!

re DEBT RECOVERY

"we have a reputation for qUALITY AND ETHICAL collection practises , and we belong to the credit services association and adhere to its code of conduct . This provides comfort to blue-chip clients concerned to manage risk to their own reputations".

Around two thirds of lewis's revenue comes from portfolios of non-performing debt. It purchases these from credit providers at a discount to their face value and then recovers outstanding amounts. The balance of its business comes from recovering debts for clients on a commission basis and supplying investigation services, syuch as customer care visits for insurance companies and arrears and pre-litigation visits for creditors. Lewis operates one of the largest SELF_EMPLOYED field collection teams in its sector"

so there you have it you see what goes on "in the parallel world"

oh and one final point per page 11 of the annual report

"At present we only lend to around one in 10 people who apply for direct repayment loans. We could comfortably accept many more within our existing risk profiles "

is this a data "harvesting exercise" or wot ??? as on the brink suggeated earlier about gathering info for "potential profit"

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

..and car, ever heard of 'variations on a theme'? Well like Dannyboy says dca's are a mutitude of sins and any variation is appropriate I feel on this thread-everything so far has been useful and enlightening to those who didn't have a clue about DCA's. IMHO..

Happy to agree to disagree - differences of opinion are welcome here, after all. (OTB's thread proves this very point)

Who knows, maybe OTB's next installment will include what DCA's do (or do not do) with Redirection information gleamed from Royal Mail - in which case I'll get back in my box and shut it. ;)

I'm all for maintaining the quality of the thread, but sometimes posters go so far off topic that the thread requires moderation (or a "little poke" in the right direction from those without moderator obligations) to keep it on topic.

Good evening to you all.

I actually think all you comments regarding my recent posts have been rather 'tame', because I have been a bit naughty these last few days.

and I must apologise to Slc79 for using the original question to move the thread in a direction I needed to go in order to highlight a very important point regarding DCAs. A point I will return to over the weekend.

But a brief intro: If you have followed this thread from the start you will notice my comments about 'doorstep calls' (post 566) was out of character to all previous post, and that was deliberate, and a bit Machiavellian (I have never knocked on anyones door 8-) ). But I would ask you read the post again and see if you can see where I'm going, and the point I'm making. look at the tone, and content (what does it remind you of?).

I'll let you think about that Saturday and then I'll explain before submitting my latest insight 'Legal loopholes'. After which it will all make sense.

Why you should think that being Machiavellian on a forum like this would be 'helpful' to it's members escapes me. I mean it's not as if there aren't already enough clowns from the DCA's stalking these boards

You had better be careful or many, including myself, will be taking your posts with a very large pinch of salt

Happy to agree to disagree - differences of opinion are welcome here, after all. (OTB's thread proves this very point)

Who knows, maybe OTB's next installment will include what DCA's do (or do not do) with Redirection information gleamed from Royal Mail - in which case I'll get back in my box and shut it. ;)

I'm all for maintaining the quality of the thread, but sometimes posters go so far off topic that the thread requires moderation (or a "little poke" in the right direction from those without moderator obligations) to keep it on topic.

To be fair who gives a monkeys spud???

I dont.

You deal with the DCA when they are having a pop at you , most of them have watched the muppet show as I have LMFAO. Thing is I am not scared of kermit:eek: :grin: And if you get that you know what I mean;)

My point Car was that DCA's also buy lists from no end of places for tracing. Royal Mail sell lists of redirections and not just to Public Bodies, Nectar, who are nothing to do with credit bought my details which were used to defraud a credit card company. I found out 2 years later, had the crook been granted the credit he was looking for I would also have had a DCA chasing me too. But I agree, it's good we all have opinions, that's what makes CAG what it is..

Good evening to you all.

But a brief intro: If you have followed this thread from the start you will notice my comments about 'doorstep calls' (post 566) was out of character to all previous post, and that was deliberate, and a bit Machiavellian(I have never knocked on anyones door 8-) ). But I would ask you read the post again and see if you can see where I'm going, and the point I'm making. look at the tone, and content (what does it remind you of?).

Imo you need to be very careful. I have been reading this thread and, in trying to put all my thoughts, fears and prejudices against DCA's aside, have found in the main for it to be very helpful and enlightening.

Those prejudices and fears have been brought about by my experience with DCA's, and I'm fairly sure there are others here who have had the same, or similar tactics. So I don't feel very comfortable when someone comes along and attempts to 'steer' me in the direction they want me to go. My experience of DCA's thus far is of mind games and intimidation backed up by fear inducing tactics, so maybe you can understand why I'm left with a nasty taste in my mouth.

I might have this totally wrong, and may well be left with egg on my face when 'it will all make sense' and if I am I will apologise. But at this moment your 'Machiavellian' tactics isn't sitting comfortable with me. If your post is alluding to how DCA's work, their tactics, and how they ride roughshod over peoples lives and emotions then I don't need an example or a reminder. I, along with many others, have first hand experience of that behaviour.

• Haha 3

Be careful chaps, and wait to see what OTB says. so far, his posts have been highly informative...

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Be careful chaps, and wait to see what OTB says. so far, his posts have been highly informative...

Lets just hope his ends justifies his means, otherwise the credibility built up here could be lost.

I see it that he has loads of information to share, but can't share it all at once - the bits and pieces we've seen have been enlightening already.

We shouldn't be so quick, nor so public, to judge, IMHO.

There's nothing to say you have to read/subscribe to any thread, after all... ;)

Imo you need to be very careful. I have been reading this thread and, in trying to put all my thoughts, fears and prejudices against DCA's aside, have found in the main for it to be very helpful and enlightening.

Those prejudices and fears have been brought about by my experience with DCA's, and I'm fairly sure there are others here who have had the same, or similar tactics. So I don't feel very comfortable when someone comes along and attempts to 'steer' me in the direction they want me to go. My experience of DCA's thus far is of mind games and intimidation backed up by fear inducing tactics, so maybe you can understand why I'm left with a nasty taste in my mouth.

I might have this totally wrong, and may well be left with egg on my face when 'it will all make sense' and if I am I will apologise. But at this moment your 'Machiavellian' tactics isn't sitting comfortable with me. If your post is alluding to how DCA's work, their tactics, and how they ride roughshod over peoples lives and emotions then I don't need an example or a reminder. I, along with many others, have first hand experience of that behaviour.

I totally agree! I must admit that it would have to be something mind blowing to justify such a machiavellian and self indulgant process of delivering information!

Most people on here have genuine concerns and to play with them in such a way (even if your intentions are good) is cruel at best.

I also think, even if the information is mind blowing, there would have been a better way to deliver it.

I too will apologise if I am wrong but I find it very upseting that OTB would use such an underhand way of trying to help people with enough to worry about than being made to look foolish!!

Personally, I am interested in knowing the procedures the DCA follow to track debtors. I honestly am not a debtor and have paid my way all my life. But in last couple of months have had one DCA getting hold of my name and address, alleging a catalogue debt, which was totally fictitious. Then another DCA sending letters to my address for someone not known to me - i.e. mistaken identity. Knowing how to be able to get rid of their false claims and unwanted correspondence in my concern and whether I need to ignore certain letters or actively defend myself.

Before a DCA sends out an agent to doorknock, surely they must have followed the procedures of establishing if the person they are trying to track down is residing there. A simple check on the electoral roll should surely be enough to see who is currently living at an address, or is it??? Also, they are unlikely to turn up out of the blue, without having sent out numerous threatening letters and warnings to the address. So if an agent knocks on your door, the problem as I see it is, do you have to tell them who you are? Unless they confirm you are debtor, why would the Agent divulge personal information about the alleged debt - data protection act, etc. If you are not the debtor, why should you have to prove that you are an innocent party? What rights do they have to demand information from someone other than the debtor? If a baliff turns up on the doorstep, you would probably be keen to prove you are not the debtor as you don't want them to take your stuff. But then again, they would not just turn up out of the blue without a letter being sent from the courts. What about getting in touch with Trading Standards if they are using harassment?

I don't know. More confused than ever about what to do or not to do. I could certainly do with education in this minefield. Awaiting with interest OTB's next installment.

Why you should think that being Machiavellian on a forum like this would be 'helpful' to it's members escapes me. I mean it's not as if there aren't already enough clowns from the DCA's stalking these boards

You had better be careful or many, including myself, will be taking your posts with a very large pinch of salt

Then I give up.

Why?

I believe Joncris is simply saying that we have learned to be very careful on these forums because of baiting and misinformation being fed by DCA employees.

No-one is suggesting this is you, OTB - I think rather it's some good advice about how people can be sensitive to the information presented to them - I'm sure everyone really appreciates the good advice you have given that couldn't be gleaned from elsewhere.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Then I give up.

Please don't give up OTB. We need you.:p

I could do with using my grey matter to think outside the box. Too many dead brain cells in my skull unfortunately, so it takes much repetition to absorb information these days. So I assume you are trying to expand our thinking on this topic. I can't stand the suspense ...

sic79 The advice you need is all over this site.

All it takes is a little time & trouble, on your part, reading through various threads but the 1st bit of advice I can give is that DCA's don't give a toss about procedures or what is or what isn't legal they will do wherever it takes including lie, cheat, assault & even commit burglary if they think they can get away with it

Never ever talk to the on the phone or at the door unless you can audio record the conversation

Never ever sign any correspondence only print you name

Never ever give them any information no matter how innocuous the query might seem at the time

Never ever trust a DCA or it's agents

The only way you are going to put a complete stop to their shenanigans is to not only threaten them but also to do it. - Report them to TS the OFT & the ICO then if that don't work issue proceedings in the county court for harassment & at the same time seeking an order stopping them from processing your data - otherwise they will simply 'sell' your account to another DCA & the process will start all over again

foot note

To them it matters not one jot who's responsible as long as someone, anyone pays & here's an example:-

Currently I know of 2 pensioners who have been paying a debt for over a decade for which they have no liability whatsoever. I don't mean the debt is unenforceable I mean no liability because they never ever borrowed the money a relative did & the pensioners never signed any documents

When this relative stopped paying they where told that because their address had been used they where liable so have been paying this unsecured debt for almost 14 years.

Being proud folk this appalling state of affairs only came to light when another relative was visiting at the time of the 'collector'

When this well known lender was taken to task they cancelled the account but are refusing to refund the large sums of monies already paid

Needless to say hope to see them in court real soon

Sic the answers you want are all over this site

All it takes is a little time & trouble, on your part, reading through various threads.

The 1st bit of advice I can give is that DCA's don't give a toss about procedures or what is or what isn't legal they will do wherever it takes including lie, cheat, assault & even commit burglary if they think they can get away with it

Never ever talk to the on the phone or at the door unless you can audio record the conversation

Never ever sign any correspondence only print you name

Never ever give them any information no matter how innocuous the query might seem at the time

Never ever trust a DCA or it's agents

The only way you are going to put a complete stop to their shenanigans is to not only threaten them but also to do it. - Report them to TS the OFT & the ICO then if that don't work issue proceedings in the county court for harassment & at the same time seeking an order stopping them from processing your data - otherwise they will simply 'sell' your account to another DCA & the process will start all over again

foot note

To them it matters not one jot who's responsible as long as someone, anyone pays & here's an example:-

Currently I know of 2 pensioners who have been paying a debt for over a decade for which they have no liability whatsoever. I don't mean the debt is unenforceable I mean no liability because they never ever borrowed the money a relative did & the pensioners never signed any documents

When this relative stopped paying they where told that because their address had been used they where liable so have been paying this unsecured debt for almost 14 years.

Being proud folk this appalling state of affairs only came to light when another relative was visiting at the time of the 'collector'

When this well known lender was taken to task they cancelled the account but are refusing to refund the large sums of monies already paid

To them "See you in court real soon you barstewards" when your going to be well & truly screwed - I promise"