Car Towed.. Please help...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If it is the police that have your car - go to the Pound and ask for it back. They'll tell you what the cost will be for its return. Alternatively if it has been 'seized' then unfortunately it could be held pending court action or destruction.

Chances are it will have been siezed, as no RFL, MOT or Insurance. Contact your local police station and explain that you thought the vehicle was parked on private land and not on the public highway. They will then tell you what they propose to do or what you are required to do to have the vehicle released.

The vehicle was untaxed and I'm presuming that the OP hadnt got it SORNed either, so this is irrelevant if it was seized

Quite true, but how long was it parked there, and is it SORN exempt?

If it was only parked there for up to 28 days, then the rules are different.

Before anyone jumps in and says, there is no 28 days with the DVLA, that is the allowed time to receive a tax disc from them, via post or website.

However if the police/DVLA checked and there was no application sent, then unfortunately, you are stuck - unless of course it got lost in the post ;) especially with the postal problems at the moment.

I am not advocating lying, or anything illegal - just if your request to the dvla was delayed/lost by the post office - well that is their problem.

Dani

As you where not driving the vehicle you have not committed any traffic offences.

I dont know why the POLICE would have it, its silly, but nonetheless.

Your licence will be required for ID purposes and the insurance so that you can drive the vehicle back from the pound, but you have no TAX or MOT, so no idea why the police want you to commit these basic of offences.

Best thing you can do is call a local tow company they should charge you about 40.00 quid, go to the police station with your drivers licence and recover the vehicle, and next time do not leave your vehicle where it can easily be picked by people with nothing better to do.

I think that you may also find that the DVLA may have recovered the vehicle, but you claim to have a producer in your posssession, who gave you that producer its called a HORT1 by the way, it stands for HOME OFFICE ROAD TRAFFIC form 1. PRONOUNCED HORTY.

Some strange story this is.

You may also have to pay the POLICE/DVLA removal fee which could amount to 200.00 quid.

Remember you have 7/14 days to collect otherwise CRUNCH!

• Haha 1

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

I think your problem is not going to be insurance but because the vehicle is kept on a public road it should have a tax disc displayed as this is the easiest form of identifying if a vehicle is upto scratch or not.

The insurance you can do as third party only, just to keep it on the road but again thats not the most important issue.

You must remember that the only way at present that a PARKED vehicle comes to the attention of any person is the TAX DISC. Stick one in the window and i asure you the vehicle will not be touched let us know how you get on

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

If getting insurance - do make sure the policy will remain valid if there's no MoT in force. (Some firms will say cover is reduced or dropped to TP if there is no current MoT available for the vehicle).

The IPCC probably won't be that interested, but you should complain to the Force's professional standards department (write to the Chief Constable to complain and he will pass it on).

There is no requirement whatsoever for a vehicle to be insured if it is solely on private land. In fact, they committed trespass to take the vehicle. Even if they thought it abandoned, it is not a Police matter, it is a matter for the local authority - who must give notice (on the vehicle) prior to removal (14 days, I think)

It is, however, required to be on SORN with the DVLA.

If they the Police refuse to budge, then issue a County Court summons for the £272 as the vehicle was wrongfully removed and the fine/costs applied