Link trying nasty ways to get you to phone back

bigandyuk1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was quite shocked to see a severely disabled neighbor struggling down my driveway this morning. I rushed out and helped him. He then gave me a note asking my wife to call Emma on 02920808696. He explained that he received the call last night and had been worried all night because he did not like to go out in the dark.

He asked if I knew who it was who had called him and how they got his number, I said I didn't know but would phone the number and find out. I have called the number and the young lady on the other end informed me I had got through to Link in Wales.

I gave her a piece of my mind with regards to the worry she had put an elderly man through and told her I would be talking to a national paper about the tactics her company were using to get my wife to call back.

I really don't know what action to take over this, but surely it can't be right to call complete strangers who in this case are elderly and disabled and use their good nature to do the DCA's bidding?

Yours Thoroughly disgusted by Link

Bigandy

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are closed for lunch until 2pm, but I will call them then. If this was the USA I would take an Uzi down to Links office and spray it around a bit......

Regards

Bigandy

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

Back in the good ol' days when Link used to phone me umpteen times a week they tried all sorts, including speaking to my girlfriend and my dad. They messed up big time when they identified themselves to a work colleague and breached the Data Protection Act and OFT debt collection guidelines.

They've also tried the "nice" approach of getting young females leaving informal sounding messages and only calling me by my first name.

Link are slime, to put it mildly, and I would certainly be reporting their actions to the OFT as well as the media.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

PS, Andy, don't call them. It may be satisfying, but getting into an arguement with them will only be counterproductive. Keep everything in writing with them, unless you're recording the call and are completely confident of keeping your cool when talking to this carnival of clowns. :)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

• 3 months later...

Bumping this back up as exactly the same thing has just this minute happened to me. I googled the number and found this thread.

Can anyone tell me who they - Link - are? The only money I owe is council tax, as far as I know (!)

Thanks in advance.

Halifax Current Account

SAR sent 23 October, special delivery.

Interestingly we had something very similar happen a few months ago.

Our elderly neighbour knocked our door saying she recieved a strange call from a guy asking if she knew a Mrs xxxxxxx who lived next door. She just said no and put the phone down and came straight round here.

The thing is, we only moved into this house in May this year (her other neighbour is an old single gentelman who's lived there most of his life) and the surname they asked for wasn't mine but was VERY similar.

It had me worried for days as hubby was away on a business trip in Germany and I was alone with a 2.5yr old....I kept my blinds shut all day.

the number was withheld and he left no contact information either.

Not heard another thing about it since and the DCA's I owe money to I am dealing with and don't owe anyone else money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tracked this down after remembering who they are and what they're after. The story is I'd made an arrangement to pay, lost the details before I could set up the DD, so couldn't contact them. I therefore waited to hear, and never did until now. Anyway, I wrote and posted a letter yesterday, enclosing a cheque. However, the man has, apparently, just telephoned my 90 year old grandmother asking me to ring. I wanted to do this all by letter as I hate speaking to these people on the phone, but I can see I'm going to have to ring if he's sinking to these depths. What can I say to him to stop him doing this? Is he allowed to do this? I'm at my wits' end. Please help.

Halifax Current Account

Thanks, yes, I don't dispute the debt, just honestly lost all means of contacting them.

I just really want to shout at this man for what I consider to be disgusting behaviour, but don't know what to say!

Halifax Current Account

Thanks, yes, I don't dispute the debt, just honestly lost all means of contacting them.

I just really want to shout at this man for what I consider to be disgusting behaviour, but don't know what to say!

Then the best way is to make him work for his money and let him know why. OK, you know that you owe the money and intend to pay it, but he doesn't know that.

I would phone him and tell him that you intended to pay but because of what he did, you intend to dispute the amount and will be in touch.

Then send the telephone harassment letter & CCA them. Don't pay until they reply with a valid CCA. Send a complaint about their tactics, ask for their complaints procedure. Wait for their final reply then forward it to the FOS.

It only costs a quid but hopefully it will make them think twice before they do that again

Grumpy

I have to disagree as regards phoning these scoundrels. Keep everything in writing. Make them prove a debt exists and they have a legal right to collect same. Whilst applying for the CCA from them demand a copy of their complaints procedure and complain. For the sake of a quid make them prove they are legally entitled to chase you for the debt. To me that would be much more satisfying than shouting down the phone to some numptie. Besides which they are well used to people shouting at them.

"just honestly lost all means of contacting them"? Eh? I find that a bit hard to believe! Phone them? Write to them? Their address and telephone number and e.mail details are on the net!!

Sounds like they called neighbours as a last try to make contact with someone avoiding them. It was therefore YOUR fault they called the neighbour. Perhaps we should report you to age concern! ;)

I have to disagree as regards phoning these scoundrels. Keep everything in writing. Make them prove a debt exists and they have a legal right to collect same. Whilst applying for the CCA from them demand a copy of their complaints procedure and complain. For the sake of a quid make them prove they are legally entitled to chase you for the debt. To me that would be much more satisfying than shouting down the phone to some numptie. Besides which they are well used to people shouting at them.

You're right of course

I was letting thoughts of revenge get the better of me

Sorry

(Hangs head in shame)

Grumpy

• 3 months later...
they are well used to people shouting at them.

A nice loud whistle, like an Acme Thunderer, is more effective. Remember, the person at the other end is probably wearing a headset...

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

• 3 months later...

OMG

Guys, my neighbour has just knocked at my door, telling me she has just rec'd a call from a friend of mine who is trying to get in touch with me, she said she would rather speak to me than (husbands first name) her number is 02920 808696. - Search on the internet - leads to Link.

My next door neighbour is rather put out that they managed to call them or even had their number - which obviously rang alarm bells with me!

I realised it must be a creditor but how embarrassing for me and my neighbour.

I now have to explain who it was calling.

Can they do this - harrassing me is one thing, but not my neighbours aswell!

Can I do anything - I'd like to call but I will not give them the satisfaction of returning their call.

Is this allowed?

If we had the money to repay the debt we would for goodness sake!!

I wish they would listen the first time, the hounds!!

Squashy

Whatever you don't DON'T call them. Keep everything in writing. Same as the advice given to others in this thread - send them a CCA request, send them a telephone harrassment letter (informing them you will only communicate in writing) and ask for a copy of their complaints procedure.

In answer to your question, NO, they are absolutely not allowed to do this kind of thing.

I would also write to the Office of Fair Trading and Trading Standards about this. Its not on that they are phoning neighbours under the pretence of being your friend.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Can I ask a really silly question

How do the DCAs manage to find a neighbours phone number

If they only know the street address ... How do they know their name?

Or do they trawl through electoral roles... Do they have access?

If they know your name and address and you have been avoiding their they can look up via a directory your neighbours. What they will be hoping is that you will be shamed/fooled into calling if they leave a message with your neighbours, I am guessing. Would especially work if you are ex-directory but your neighbours are not!

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

well unless the number is ex directory then it is part of the publics ability to find stuff.

All they do is look in the electrol role for the name of the tennant at the neighbouring property then once they have the name they can search the phone book for the area. then they have the info.

• Haha 1

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Link rang my OH tonight and didn't even do any security questions, chasing an alleged debt which had been to court and failed. They are serious slimebags. Methinks times are a bit hard for them. MBNA rang my neighbours a couple of years ago and lived to regret it;). Agree with everyone else, regardless of how angry you are, do not ring them back. Everything in writing.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

OMG how do these ppl get away with it.

how the hell did they think they would get money out of u if the courts could not GL

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Don't know GM - they are obviously trying hard to get their commission. We hear from them about every three months. They actually said to OH we are ringing to arrange a payment plan and he said '£100 a month will be fine' - they seemed a bit confused that he expected them to pay it to him:D

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

lol that has to be a good one i might steal that.