DEBT Collection Agency of the YEAR Awards

andrew1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6012 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Andrew1, could you write a template complaint email for us, so we could all copy and send it? Please?:)

.....at the moment, the only email address I have is that of the main organisation and it would be grossly irresponsible of me to put that one on here when so many desperate people need their help and use it. If you can write so much the better, but in the meantime please wait until our little researchers have his private email address. :D

However, one could always show ones displeasure by contacting the organiser of the event Stephanie Street at the magazine: [email protected]

:D Sarah xx

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..... If you can write so much the better, but in the meantime please wait until our little researchers have his private email address. :D

:D Sarah xx

And this little researcher has just found it.... [email protected]

The more that Email him in complaint, the better ?

• Haha 1

Just hate every DCA out there

Following email sent to mailto:[email protected]

I'm convinced that any DCA writing to you should enclose a copy of the last bill sent or a statement of account - would help stop them chasing dubious debts and statute barred debts if they checked what they were churning out and had to work harder to send letters out.

Dear Sir

I think you should not be appearing to support the above event. DCA's are not worthy of such awards by themselves to themselves and for you to be seen supporting this event will damage your company's reputation.

It is sickening enough that one of the largest Credit Reference Agencies actually own one of the DCA's who will be at the event - something again that smacks of "sleeping in the same bed" - is it any co-incidence that the CRA in reference requests people to check their credit records every three months - if we don't apply for anything where does this need come in? All it does is alert them that somebody has looked at the record.

Please do not attend this event as it is a self-seeking publicity event for a group of organisations who regularly work outside the law - I have documentary evidence of this should you require it.

• Haha 2

Following email sent to mailto:[email protected]

I'm convinced that any DCA writing to you should enclose a copy of the last bill sent or a statement of account - would help stop them chasing dubious debts and statute barred debts if they checked what they were churning out and had to work harder to send letters out.

Dear Sir

I think you should not be appearing to support the above event. DCA's are not worthy of such awards by themselves to themselves and for you to be seen supporting this event will damage your company's reputation.

It is sickening enough that one of the largest Credit Reference Agencies actually own one of the DCA's who will be at the event - something again that smacks of "sleeping in the same bed" - is it any co-incidence that the CRA in reference requests people to check their credit records every three months - if we don't apply for anything where does this need come in? All it does is alert them that somebody has looked at the record.

Please do not attend this event as it is a self-seeking publicity event for a group of organisations who regularly work outside the law - I have documentary evidence of this should you require it.

:D nice one- think I'll use that myself -

Just hate every DCA out there

:D nice one- think I'll use that myself -

Thanks, I don't think the poor guy realises how much hassle people have from DCA's and their so called allies the CRA's. Neither lot come under much governmental scrutiny as they are supposed to be independent... if this is so why does Experian own Westcot?

I thought he might like to see what happens when a debt is thrown out of court and a company still tries to collect on it - I'm going back to the originating court on Wednesday to show them the documentation - should be a fun trip!

I don't know how many other people will send him an email - hopefully everyone who's logged into this link.

Dear all.

I understand the various concerns expressed over the Credit Today 'debt collector of the year awards' but have to put the other side forward.

The sincerest aim of the awards is to investigate and reward firms who are truly customer-centric, demand the highest quality people skills from their often call-centre-based staff and that maintain high levels of staff training.

By running an awards scheme like this, we are addressing the issues connected with debt, not seeking to congratulate the undeserving. The issues related to debt and how this is dealt with by the industry are hugely important and ones we address constantly in Credit Today magazine. We don't fall down on the side of the creditors, we investigate the issues and have taken the industry - where it is deserved - to task over shoddy processes and bad treatment of consumers.

We are seeking out professional excellence and applying the same ethics we apply to our magazine coverage to the judging of these awards.

As debt levels have spiralled in the last few years, the debt collection sector has undergone massive growth too, which is another reason for introducing the awards.

Many debt collectors are call-centre staff, doing a difficult job at the debt coalface. We gather the quality of advice and treament people in debt receive in this country varies hugely and this is an issue we want to flag by rewarding those who do a professional job, no matter how personal and difficult debt resolution can sometimes be.

'We don't fall down on the side of the creditors, we investigate the issues and have taken the industry - where it is deserved - to task over shoddy processes and bad treatment of consumers.'

May I have some examples of this please CTEditor.

Thank you.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

Many debt collectors are call-centre staff, doing a difficult job at the debt coalface. We gather the quality of advice and treament people in debt receive in this country varies hugely and this is an issue we want to flag by rewarding those who do a professional job, no matter how personal and difficult debt resolution can sometimes be.

ARE YOU FOR REAL

Its hardly a difficult job ringing people up and threatening them and demanding paymend for an alleged debt which the call centre employee does not even know is valid. Its not a difficult job demanding that they take out another loan to pay off an existing debt. Its not a difficult job telling someone that the balliffs are on their way round to lift goods from a house when the matter has not even been before a court. Its certainly not professional to bully lie or threaten. Its certainly not professional to ignore every rule and regulation set up by this self policing industry.

Just spend a little time on hear reading the TRUTH about how these SO CALLED PROFESSIONALS actually do their job at the coalface. Apologists for the behaviour of these people just make me so angry and the soon the Government puts in place strong regulation to govern the activities of these thugs the better:mad:

• Haha 2

We are seeking out professional excellence and applying the same ethics we apply to our magazine coverage to the judging of these awards.

If you are using ethics as a yardstick to reward DCAs then I'm afraid you will have a long look. That is of course if you are in fact the editor of CT Today and not just another troll from a DCA seeking to stir trouble
  • Haha 1

I do see your point - perhaps it would be informative to know the criterion on which the DCA's are judged? You mention investigating and rewarding firms who are "customer-centric" - despite your implication, i am sure we are all aware the customer is not the person receiving the phone-calls and letters, but rather the company using the DCA.

As you will have seen from the many threads on here, the idea of a "professional" approach is, to many, a laughable concept. Quite often, people are pursued for debts of which they have no knowledge or have nothing to do with. Even if the debts are to the person involved, the "call-centre" staff clearly do not have enough training in debt-collection practices or even basic legal concepts. Their job would, perhaps, be easier if these basic educational needs were met by the companies involved.

If DCA's acted in a professional manner and, IMO, a legal one, this forum would be pretty sparse. Debt is a highly emotive issue and one which, to be frank, needs a different approach to the one currently taken by this country. That is a matter for politics and not business, granted. However, I am sure you must agree after looking around this site that people being driven to desperation by abuse, being misinformed about the law, harrassment and general desire by the industry to recoup "their" money, no matter what the cost.

Without addressing these issues through your publication, and yet associating your organ with these awards, impartiality does seem to be somewhat lacking.

I would certainly welcome a clarification of this.

Tiglet

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I understand exactly what you are saying and appreciate your comments, but taking time to read through numerous threads on this site you will see that a vast number of them lie and commit offences and try to sidestep official guidelines without thinking twice about it, mainly in the pursuit of the call centre / debt collection staff's monthly targets. (it is so obvious that with the pressure on these staff that this is then reflected in the pressure that they exert on debtors) - What part of your magazine should strive for is to get rid of these bad 'apples' and maybe carry regular features on some of the stories on this forum....

The sincerest aim of the awards is to investigate and reward firms who are truly customer-centric, demand the highest quality people skills from their often call-centre-based staff and that maintain high levels of staff training.

Do you really beleive this?

These are companies who have up until now had a licence to print money at the cost of the debtor, who is just that, someone in debt and having difficulty and needing HELP.

Do you really think for one minute that the likes of Cabot would give a monkeys if they are number 10 in the awards or number 4. they only care about the amount of credit records they can damage and drive extra income for the hand that feeds them (originnal creditor) and grab any money from these poor debtors, many statute barred and totally unenforceable.

While they are doing this they will also add interest to the debt without having any legal right to do so.

I understand (if you are who you say you are) that you are just doing your job and may have been blinkered to the real world and real people dealing with these hard nosed bully boys, but I would ask you read some of the stories here for the TRUE impact these companies have on individuals who need help, not a financial kicking for the next 6 years.

The money these companies profit from could be well used to assist people getting out of debt or preventing them getting into debt in the first place and being far more sympathetic in the collection process. It should really be the banks who caused these debts in the first place who carry the debt to conclusion.

The banks have been very clever by passing these debts to the DCAs as it is not the bank whos name is recorded against this horrible business, but they are no better than the DCAs.

The banks are happy to lend to someone who really shouldn't be lent to but they too get greedy and cause this viscious circle to begin.

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Dear all.

I very much doubt you will find one if you really do want to look at the full picture.

If anyone has any doubts this is indeed the Credit Today editor. Be gentle with her, she has her heart in the right place and very brave in coming on here. Please treat her with due respect as you would any other poster, put your cause and arguments across and lets take this opportunity to be constructive in putting our opinions across as Credit Today have a loud voice in the industry. If you want any message to be shared with the credit industry then make this work for you and the thousands who are reading this for whom we speak.

As the editor of a credit magazine, exposure to the masses who have gone through what most have experienced on the forum will not be as concentrated as the information they receive from the industry itself or the people within it. We have seen how they congratulate themselves and many who contribute to the editorial are extremely professional individuals but the magazine covers corporate and consumer debt. However, from what I have read, consumer debt is often written about from the Collection companies and personnel's points of view. This forum will be an eye-opener for someone like this Editor who I thank for being so brave as to come on.

Lets keep the dialogue constructive - please....;)

Sarah

@CTEditor:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your side of the story. I would be most grateful if after the awards you would make available to the public a full list of the catagories and winners, along with examples of evidence which you have used to support your decisions.

I would also be very interested to see which of those winners support your magazine with advertising revenue. Should I expect to see companies like Experian and Intrim Justitia among the winners - or is that just me being cynical?

As you are surely aware from the replies to your post, many of us have experienced nothing but unlawful and unethical behaviour from not one but a variety of DCAs, including but not limited to harrassment, failure to comply with consumer law, false representation, attempting to chase non-existant or statute-barred debt, phishing, data protection breaches, and good old fashioned rudeness.

The fact that Googling for pretty much any DCA brings up this and other consumer websites long before the company's own site speaks volumes; plus for every one of us here who is aware of their legal rights, you can bet there are another hundred suffering in silence and falling victim to the underhand tactics of these companies who hide behind fluffy and meaningless mission statements.

Obviously yours is a vast industry, and there are many individuals doing a fine job and, like us all, just wanting to pay their bills. But please excuse us if we don't believe that the whole awards ceremony isn't a mutual back-slapping and navel-gazing exercise by a self-serving and incestious bunch who care not a jot who they trample over so long as the bottom line is a big fat profit.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Well, If CTEditor is who she says, maybe she'd like a brief outline of my treatment from two of the nastiest DCAs...

I came here feeling over the edge with nowhere to turn, a desparate, disabled single mum.

The strength of the honest help, advice and support I've had here has turned my feelings around and made me realise that these DCAs are nothing but bullying, malicious, intimidating, lying predators.

Two of them in particular (must have the same training courses) told me to get rid of my pets, pay them before my utilities, borrow money, sell my car (I'm disabled), sell all unnecesary belongings including anything of value of my daughter's, that I had a cheek having contents insurance, I couldn't afford a mobile phone (I'm disabled), they'd send bailliffs round to force entry to my property and remove anything of value and sieze my car (it's worth about £500), cut my housekeeping (I was so terrified and ill from thier harassment I was hardly eating), on many occasions said that it was very convenient that I'd got sick and disabled after getting into debt and all manner of other c**p, inlcuding that they could and would take my DLA into account as disposable income!

They CANNOT have what I DO NOT have.

I didn't make myself ill or disabled and would love to work.

If any of these DCAs can come up with proper proof that I owe them money they can take me to court, I don't care anymore. They can't hurt me anymore than they have already.

CTEditor take a good look around at the misery the DCAs are causing, if you dare :mad:

'The fact that Googling for pretty much any DCA brings up this and other consumer websites long before the company's own site speaks volumes; plus for every one of us here who is aware of their legal rights, you can bet there are another hundred suffering in silence and falling victim to the underhand tactics of these companies who hide behind fluffy and meaningless mission statements.'

True. I know you were being rhetorical here (don't want tag of forum pedant)! :D :D :D I still want to say I think a thousand is nearer the mark or even more.

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?