• Tweets

• Now that is an interesting article which adds afew perspective that I hadn't thought significant - but on reflection of the perspectives offered ... Now Starmer is no Blair, however 'blairite he may be perceived, but the Tories aren't tories and aren't even remotely liberal   The fast 'unannounced and unexpected election call from sunack may well be explained by the opinion linked that he hoped reform would be unprepared and effectively call a chunk of Farages largely empty bluster - making him look even more of a prat, leave scope for attacks on shabby reform candidates and mimimise core vote losses to reform - while throwing the 'middle ground' (relative) tories TO THE DOGS - and with the added bonus of likely pacifying his missu' desire to jogg off to sunny cal tout suite somewhat   thumb in the air - I expect about 140ish tory seats, but can hope for under a hundred Reform - got to admit the outside possibility of 1, maybe 2 seats with about 8% of the vote - but unlikely. I think projections of over 10% of the vote for reform is nudged and paid for speculation - but possible with the expected massive drives from Russian, Chinese and far right social media bot and troll prods targeting the gullible.
    • Commentary June 2024 WWW.ELECTORALCALCULUS.CO.UK Interesting article about just how bad it could be for the Tories.  Also Tories could be hoping on Reform not having candidates in many seats, as they were not ready.  
    • Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SLC Cannot Supply The Original Agreement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

but a summary conviction can be a civil offence Steve. As you know, over on the CCA thread we are quite familiar with the CCA, Schedules & SI - the Schedule 1 states summarily (not indictable) that doesn't mean it's criminal, you can have a civil conviction.

Whilst you are saying there is no argument - then please direct to me to a document that confirms it is a criminal offence.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Halifax has finaly replied to my CCA (end Feb).

Anyone care to look?

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1860/applicationblankeduz1.jpg

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

but a summary conviction can be a civil offence Steve. As you know, over on the CCA thread we are quite familiar with the CCA, Schedules & SI - the Schedule 1 states summarily (not indictable) that doesn't mean it's criminal, you can have a civil conviction.

Whilst you are saying there is no argument - then please direct to me to a document that confirms it is a criminal offence.

Ladybird

The use of the term 'offence' in legislation means a criminal offence. Summary refers to the mode of trial - it is in the magistrate's court. Indictable means that the offence is tried in the Crown Court before judge and jury. Triable either way means that both options are available. Whether summary, indictable or triable either way, the term 'offence' refers to a criminal offence. Offences dealt with by magistrates are criminal just as much as offences dealt with by judges - they would still get you a criminal record. (The magistrate cannot jail you for more than 6 months and is restricted in the level of fine they can impose I believe)

Where Schedule 1 of the CCA74 says triable summarily, that means it must be a criminal offence. (note there are some triable either way CCA offences as well)

A 'civil offence' is a term used in military law where it refers to a conviction by a civilian court as opposed to a court-martial. I have also seen it used to refer to defamation (libel etc.).

As I said before, I think that it is highly unlikely that we shall 'bankers in handcuffs' as TS are loath to prosecute for the reasons I stated above. We can but dream though...

This is getting silly. I have just received a package from Fredricksons containing copies of all the STATEMENTS but no AGREEMENT.

I got a letter from Fredrickson (on behalf of Royal Bank of Scotland) saying "we have referred the matter to our client and while we will revert to you as soon as we receive instructions. In the meantime, we can confirm the account has been placed on hold."

They better not send me a pile of statements, ill shred them and send them back.

Now, presuming they cant find the agreement (it was signed in a busy Glasgow store, 300 miles from home during rush hour, so god knows where that could be) Im guessing they have the 15 working days, followed by 30 normal days before i can write and ask for the debt to be removed ?

HSBC are yet to respond to the same "agreement request", but its them with a 15 (+30) day deadline, not me.

"Civil Law is the section of the law that deals with disputes between individuals or organisations. For example, a car crash victim claims damages against the driver for loss or injury sustained in an accident, or one company sues another over a trade dispute."

One crucial difference between Civil and Criminal law is that the 'burden of proof' is lower in a civil case. A criminal case must be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt.' A civil case only has to be proved on the 'balance of probabilities,' i.e. it is 'likely' that the defendant is guilty.

Which court do you have to go to?

Civil actions are heard in either the 'County' or 'High' Court. The deciding factor in where a civil case is heard is the amount of money involved.

yes, but I'm still waiting for your clink linky to something or some defining document that tells me it's a "criminal" offence!!

167 Penalties

(1) An offence under a provision of this Act specified in column 1 of Schedule 1 is triable in the mode or modes indicated in column 3, and on conviction is punishable as indicated in column 4 (where a period of time indicates the maximum term of imprisonment, and a monetary amount indicates the maximum fine, for the offence in question).

(2) A person who contravenes any regulations made under section 44, 52, 53, or 112, or made under section 26 by virtue of section 54, commits an offence.

Words like conviction, punishment, imprisonment etc. tell you these are criminal matters. Statutes do not use the phrase 'criminal offence'.

Schedule 1 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (entitled Prosecution and Punishment of Offences) lists all of the offences created in the Act and how they are triable and punishable. Summarily is in the magistrate's court - indictable is in the Crown Court. I cannot post a copy of Schedule 1 at the moment (I have posted it in another thread somewhere - probably the marathon Agreements thread!)

It talks of fines or imprisonment - these are criminal sanctions - ergo it is criminal.

Well we have discussed Schedule 1 on the CCA thread for ever & ever and had some interesting learned input.

Nope, sorry, civil offences can result in imprisonment - so I'm still not convinced!

Ladybird there is no such thing as a civil offence. Civil Courts do not deal with offences they deal with disputes between two or more parties. They arbitrate in the dispute and rule on the solution to the dispute. There are no punishments or suchlike in the civil courts - there are only awards to parties. Offences are dealt with in the criminal court system (that's what criminal courts are for) and punishments are awarded if the defendant is found guilty of an offence.

it doesn't matter when it was re-classified!I'm just posting up an example of a civil offence - which posters on this thread tell me doesn't exist.

This has been bashed about on the CCA thread for ages, and with the input of, shall we say, "learned" colleagues, it was confirmed that indeed, there are "civil" offences.

This is the same pseudo agreement we all get and many haven't even been signed by the bank.

Yet they try to pass it off as an executed agreement.

Just remember - it simply means that they haven't signed it YET. They can sign it any day they like and it will (if it meets the prescribed form and contains the prescribed terms) BECOME executed.

How do you explain, e.g. this then...?

non payment of a TV licence fee is reclassified as a civil offence recoverable through the small claims process only as a last resort where other payment mechanisms or schedules

Ladybird I'm sorry but your wrong

You don't go to prison for none payment but for contempt of court for failing or refusing to pay or act on the order of that court

None compliance with the CCA IS A criminal offence not a civil one as there is no such thing

79 Duty to give hirer information

(1) The owner under a regulated consumer hire agreement, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the hirer and payment of a fee of £1 , shall give to the hirer a copy of the executed agreement and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the owner showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer, the total sum which has become payable under the agreement by the hirer but remains unpaid and the various amounts comprised in that total sum, with the date when each became due.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to—

(a) an agreement under which no sum is, or will or may become, payable by the hirer, or

(b) a request made less than one month after a previous request under that subsection relating to the same agreement was complied with.

(3) If the owner under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) if the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

You can only commit an offence if it's a criminal act which only as a criminal act can attract a prison sentence. It's one of the reasons that many local authorities found out to their cost that their parking tickets are not valid if they mention offence, penalty, fine etc:

As for the TV licencing authority using the term I shouldn't worry look at the mess the councils have goitten into using such language

Hi folks. Just thought I'd post details of an ongoing dipute with HSBC about a personal loan which defaulted 7 years ago. I've been paying back an agreed monthly amount for the last 6 years and have paid back what I originally borrowed plus hundreds of pounds of so called "legal fees", interest and charges (the debt never went to court). However HSBC claim I still owe them iro £3000 and in early Feb '07 sent me a letter requesting increased payments. I sent them a CCA request with fee on 23/2. The day they received the letter they rang me and we agreed that if I was to pay the amount they say I owe then they would have to prove I owed it. On 10/3 I received a letter telling me that the agreement was over and they would start legal proceedings unless I paid full balance (less the £1 CCA fee!) within 10 days. I've heard nothing since and we're now past the 12 working days plus 1 calendar month stage and I sent the follow-up letter yesterday requesting their confirmation that the debt is now unenforceable and to remove any details from my credit file etc. I have given them 10 days to send me written confirmation.

I'll post further developments on this thread if that's okay? If anyone thinks I have done anything incorrectly or has any advice I'd be grateful!

Thanks

Just remember - it simply means that they haven't signed it YET. They can sign it any day they like and it will (if it meets the prescribed form and contains the prescribed terms) BECOME executed.

I would think if they sign it NOW and it becomes executed, then anything that has gone on with the account before this is invalid and therefore there would be no money owed. They have sold this account without signing it therefore that becomes void and they have received charged off money from the taxman without signing it, so in effect they have cheated the inland revenue.

Yes, they can sign it NOW, after they have sold the account and received a charge back from the taxman, but this is some 5 years later and i am sure they cannot simply get away with it. I wonder how the Inland Revenue would take having to pay Billions to the banks every year as charge offs when the accounts were not executed and signed by them, therefore not valid?

I think there are serious implications in signing an agreement NOW as that raises their actions before this time which would all be deemed unlawful.

If the true agreement they have supplied is unsigned by either of both parties it's unenforcable as it hasn't been properly executed.

They can't sign it much later & claim it's enforcable

To quote his Lordship (again)

Lord Justice Sedley – in the matter of Penelope Wilson V Howard Pawnbrokers at the London Court of Appeal, Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand. 5th February 2005

"the moral for a pawnbroker such as Mr Howard is that if he wants the rewards of his trade he must operate strictly by the book, and that the failure to do so may be not merely to unravel agreements, but to reverse the indebtedness that they have purportedly caused."

Appeal dismissed with costs.

If the true agreement they have supplied is unsigned by either of both parties it's unenforcable as it hasn't been properly executed.

They can't sign it much later & claim it's enforcable

To quote his Lordship (again)

Lord Justice Sedley – in the matter of Penelope Wilson V Howard Pawnbrokers at the London Court of Appeal, Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand. 5th February 2005

"the moral for a pawnbroker such as Mr Howard is that if he wants the rewards of his trade he must operate strictly by the book, and that the failure to do so may be not merely to unravel agreements, but to reverse the indebtedness that they have purportedly caused."

Appeal dismissed with costs.

That's all very interesting and all that, but if they sign it the day before court and put a date five years ago on it, who is to say it wasn't signed five years ago? It would be enforceable.

That's all very interesting and all that, but if they sign it the day before court and put a date five years ago on it, who is to say it wasn't signed five years ago? It would be enforceable.

Nothing but they have already sent you an unsigned copy haven't they! So they would have some very awkward questions to answer

Not least of which is, any amendments to the original contract will not have been ratified. So increases in interest rate, for example, just shouldn't have happened.

I ma be wrong, but that's my take on it. As well as my understanding that they can only enforce any debt incurred on or after the date of signature.