• Tweets

• By not sticking to the deadline which you set you have lost credibility. Your letter of claim becomes one of hundreds of others which they receive and which they put in the bin because they think that you are just bluffing.  
    • 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
    • Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mbna - Properly Executed Agreements

Cornucopia
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just some thoughts after spending most of the evening going through this thread

since joining this site about a week ago I feel strangely empowered and feel I am getting control back

Last year MBNA made my life an absolute hell

fortunately as with most setbacks in life recovery is imminent and I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train :)

If MBNA send you a CCA with the T&C stating £12 per default does that not mean that we could immediately reclaim all the £13 excess payments they took since the agreement was signed, without prejudicing any subsequent SAR claim (esp if the agreement is more than 6 years old)

on the question of legibility I came across this on another site (it is specifically referring to SAR) but could it be applied to CCA?

If you store any of the older records on microfiche, please be aware that the Information Commissioner deems this to be a relevant filing system under the Act. As such, any microfiche data must be sent to me in fully legible and comprehensible form.

would be interested in your comments

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some thoughts after spending most of the evening going through this thread

since joining this site about a week ago I feel strangely empowered and feel I am getting control back

Last year MBNA made my life an absolute hell

fortunately as with most setbacks in life recovery is imminent and I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train :)

If MBNA send you a CCA with the T&C stating £12 per default does that not mean that we could immediately reclaim all the £13 excess payments they took since the agreement was signed, without prejudicing any subsequent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) claim (esp if the agreement is more than 6 years old)

MBNA's £12 T&C came into force June 2006 so if your agreement is prior to this date then MBNA have not complied with your CCA request as that requests all documents applicable at the time of inception of the agreement.

MBNA will ignore all letters apart from sending an acknowledgement they will not do anything to respond to your claim (apart from call if a complaint)

on the question of legibility I came across this on another site (it is specifically referring to SAR) but could it be applied to CCA?

If you store any of the older records on microfiche, please be aware that the Information Commissioner deems this to be a relevant filing system under the Act. As such, any microfiche data must be sent to me in fully legible and comprehensible form.

Have just had my PC go down so do not have the relavent docs to hand to quote but I do know that legible is one of the regs in CCA 1974 or copies of doc's regulations.

would be interested in your comments

all the best dpick:)

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry all if I'm asking a blindingly obvious question here, but if a CC company have no done a proper agreement then you owe them nothing at all? or you dont owe them interest? I'm confused - I signed up for my MBNA card when I was bored at an airport - I only remember signing an application nothing else - then the card turns up.

pm me or reply as I'm gagging to get my head around this.

well i'm replying to your post because maybe an airport is off trade premises ???????

========================================

49. Prohibition of canvassing debtor-creditor agreements off trade premises.

=============

49.—(1) It is an offence to canvass debtor-creditor agreements off trade premises.

(2) It is also an offence to solicit the entry of an individual (as debtor) into a

debtor-creditor agreement during a visit carried out in response to a request made

on a previous occasion, where—

(a) the request was not in writing signed by or on behalf of the person

making it, and

(b) if no request for the visit had been made, the soliciting would have

constituted the canvassing of a debtor-creditor agreement off trade premises.

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not apply to any soliciting for an agreement

enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account of any description kept with

the creditor, where—

(a) the Director has determined that current accounts of that description kept

with the creditor are excluded from subsections (1) and (2), and

(b) the debtor already keeps an account with the creditor (whether a current

account or not).

(4) A determination under subsection (3)(a)—

(a) may be made subject to such conditions as the Director thinks fit, and

(b) shall be made only where the Director is of opinion that it is not against

the interests of debtors.

(5) If soliciting is done in breach of a condition imposed under subsection (4)(a),

the determination under subsection (3)(a) does not apply to it.

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

But see also:-

48. Definition of canvassing off trade premises (regulated agreements).

— (1) An individual (the “canvasser ”) canvasses a regulated agreement off trade premises if he solicits the entry (as debtor or hirer) of another individual (the “consumer ”) into the agreement by making oral representations to the consumer, or any other individual, during a visit by the canvasser to any place (not excluded by subsection (2)) where the consumer, or that other individual, as the case may be, is, being a visit— (a)

carried out for the purpose of making such oral representations to individuals who are at that place, but

(b)

not carried out in response to a request made on a previous occasion.

(2) A place is excluded from subsection (1) if it is a place where a business is carried on (whether on a permanent or temporary basis) by

(a)

the creditor or owner, or

(b)

a supplier, or

©

the canvasser, or the person whose employee or agent the canvasser is, or

(d)

the consumer.

Might the Airport be considered a place where business is carried on, on a temporary basis, by the canvasser?

Logic would say not because if it is interpreted that way, then so could a street, a car park, maybe even my doorstep (because while he is there canvassing, that is where he is carrying on his business at that moment, on a temporary basis).

If the canvassing that lead to the issuing of the credit card were found to be an offence under Section 49, would that have any effect on the validity/enforceability of that credit agreement?

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

But see also:-

48. Definition of canvassing off trade premises (regulated agreements).

— (1) An individual (the “canvasser ”) canvasses a regulated agreement off trade premises if he solicits the entry (as debtor or hirer) of another individual (the “consumer ”) into the agreement by making oral representations to the consumer, or any other individual, during a visit by the canvasser to any place (not excluded by subsection (2)) where the consumer, or that other individual, as the case may be, is, being a visit— (a)

carried out for the purpose of making such oral representations to individuals who are at that place, but

(b)

not carried out in response to a request made on a previous occasion.

(2) A place is excluded from subsection (1) if it is a place where a business is carried on (whether on a permanent or temporary basis) by

(a)

the creditor or owner, or

(b)

a supplier, or

©

the canvasser, or the person whose employee or agent the canvasser is, or

(d)

the consumer.

Might the Airport be considered a place where business is carried on, on a temporary basis, by the canvasser?

Logic would say not because if it is interpreted that way, then so could a street, a car park, maybe even my doorstep (because while he is there canvassing, that is where he is carrying on his business at that moment, on a temporary basis).

If the canvassing that lead to the issuing of the credit card were found to be an offence under Section 49, would that have any effect on the validity/enforceability of that credit agreement?

Given that nobody who posts on this forum has ever had an enforceable credit card agreement from MBNA it probably doesn't matter anyway!

Regards

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Given that nobody who posts on this forum has ever had an enforceable credit card agreement from MBNA it probably doesn't matter anyway!

Really? I have two that look enforceable. Posted here. Labelled as "application form A" and "application form B".

One of them came from signing a form with a canvasser at an airport that was supposed to get me sent an England football shirt (that never came) and a "credit card application pack".

Edited by mfpa

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Corn :)

Just wondered if all is good with you? How is this case moving along?

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to reclaim all interest on an unenforceable agreement? One company out there is claiming tthey can get back all interest PLUS all payments ever made.

If this is possible, anyone know how to go about it? I have 3 cards that are unenforceable but have been battling with them for 10 months. There must be an easier way??

Odio los bancos con una venganza

Is it possible to reclaim all interest on an unenforceable agreement? One company out there is claiming tthey can get back all interest PLUS all payments ever made.

If this is possible, anyone know how to go about it? I have 3 cards that are unenforceable but have been battling with them for 10 months. There must be an easier way??

Well if it were possible then presumably you could claim interest on the interest. I'll be interested (excuse the unintended pun) to see what the answer is to this one as I'm in a similar position.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

An unenforceable agreement does not mean a debt does not exist. It simply means a company cannot chase you or take further action.

Whether or not it's possible to reclaim interest i don't know, but i would think it would say you can't reclaim payments you've made.

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people,

Im quite new to this and in a right state, MBNA made a money claim against me 4 months back which i then requested a true cert copy which they didn't respond to the case was then stayed, I have today now received a letter from eversheds stating that they have supplied the agreement i signed, default notice served, statements of account and notice of assignment, They have also kindly stated that they have applied to the court to have the stay lifted and given me seven days to respond.

The agreement supplied is blacked out top and bottom with just the slip on bottom of agreement where i signed "please sign this form and return to us" part.....

It also states crdit agreement reg by cons cred act 1974, There are no terms and conditions on it just the data protection part and the following:

please issue a virgin credit card to me. i confirm that the information given is true and complete, i have recieved a copy of and agree to be bound by the virgin credit card terms and conditions and i understand that i am responsible for paying any balances due on my credit card account.

Then there is a right to cancel part then states this is a credit agreement reg b cons cred act 74 sign only if you want to be legally bound by its terms, my signature and date,,,,,,,,,Also there is a stamp on it with a signature from mbna and date..

Please advise what i could do or am i buggered and will have to bite the bullet, I am in dire straits at present and fighting a losing battle with regards to debt due to being a victim of a con man.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi people,

Im quite new to this and in a right state, MBNA made a money claim against me 4 months back which i then requested a true cert copy which they didn't respond to the case was then stayed, I have today now received a letter from eversheds stating that they have supplied the agreement i signed, default notice served, statements of account and notice of assignment, They have also kindly stated that they have applied to the court to have the stay lifted and given me seven days to respond.

The agreement supplied is blacked out top and bottom with just the slip on bottom of agreement where i signed "please sign this form and return to us" part.....

It also states crdit agreement reg by cons cred act 1974, There are no terms and conditions on it just the data protection part and the following:

please issue a virgin credit card to me. i confirm that the information given is true and complete, i have recieved a copy of and agree to be bound by the virgin credit card terms and conditions and i understand that i am responsible for paying any balances due on my credit card account.

Then there is a right to cancel part then states this is a credit agreement reg b cons cred act 74 sign only if you want to be legally bound by its terms, my signature and date,,,,,,,,,Also there is a stamp on it with a signature from mbna and date..

Please advise what i could do or am i buggered and will have to bite the bullet, I am in dire straits at present and fighting a losing battle with regards to debt due to being a victim of a con man.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi clivey888. It would be in your interest to start your own thread. If you click on the following link, scroll down to the bottom and hit the 'New Thread' That way people will be able to offer you advice on your own particular situation and you wont get lost in this huge one.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I am submitting an AQ (N149) to the court today and would appreciate some advice or feedback on what I'm taking.

If anyone has two mins could you please have a look?

Many thanks for all your help and sorry for hijacking the thread.

Link to my thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/77464-pudsters14-mbna-5.html

Thanks again

Pudst

x x x x

• 2 months later...

Great Scott Pudsters!!

I just read ALL of your defence - it is 'Mon Deu encredabla' (gutteral french)

You should get a medal for that, certainly leave's nothing for the judge to waiver on, well not that I can see. if I end up defending I will certainly use relevant bits of your defense, unless you copyrighted it. ;)

How have you got on with it?

Best

H&H

this is apparently an enforceable agreement (according to site admin)

Feast your eyes, it may the be the last you ever see....

Unfortunate for me....

especialy as i have two from mbna - both the same :(

mana cca.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Co-op bank - won March 07

Virgin Credit Card - won - March 07

MBNA Credit Card - won March 07

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tetsuo, have you checked that the rate of interest stated is the amount charged? Apparently, if the agreement is enforceable in every other way, there just might be a last gasp way to side step it by checking the interest applied. Have a search around the site for threads that cover this - sorry I can't supply exact details vis interest; still learning about this one myself, but thought you might like to pursue it. Best of luck:)

Interesting Panorama programme on BBC1 right now (started 8.30pm) about consumers using CCAs.

The programme mentions that lenders are now looking to use obscure laws to gain a charge on homes. Anyone have any idea what this law is and if it has any teeth to it?

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

Oh yeh, and Panorama features a slimeball who runs a DCA that has the audacity to show his face on TV. His website has pictures of predatory animals like wolves, snakes, and bears! Their advice to debtors is to "pay up or we will hound you" - all of that is clearly a breach of laws against harrasment.

The slimeballs name btw is Richard Kerr. Trying to find his distasteful website.

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

Sorry in advance for the very long email but i have previous experiance in the insurance industry(previous as in I had enough and got out - yawn)

I wonder if this guy/girl/company actually has Professional Indemnity Insurance cause he is going to need it if he is giving his clients wrong or bad advice!! We in effect become his client when he takes on the debt so if they pursue you unlawfully or give you and advice about the debt that is in any way shape or form incorrect and could cost you money then you have a valid claim against him and effectively his insurance. (he will have a hefty excess so it will more than likely be the company it effects)

Please if anyone gets to speak to this company confirm you are recording the call and its his right to terminate if he/she wishes but that you will be using it as evidence – then record away.

Debt recovery agencies find it very difficult and extremely expensive to obtain professional indemnity insurance when people have made allegations about them. It would cripple them if they couldn’t get insurance as large banks make this an absolute minimum for them to have this you see.

My opinion is that if they are not playing by the rules then they should be punished accordingly and if the courts cant/wont take action against them then we should make sure they are hit hard with lots of complaints – again if they are dealing with finance they should be on the FSA register and you can cc in the FOS when complaining about them.

Dont get me started with Directors and Officers insurance cause if i was his/her debtor I would be taking the directors of the business to court if they acted unlawfully and go after their assets for defamation of character or something!! I will think of it.

I wonder if they do read these threads I hope they do and are brushing down their policies to make sure they are active and will respond....

Rant over but please keep this in mind if these or any others act unlawfully – they have a duty too.

We are only exercising our right to be free from rouge lenders.

I no longer carry pi insurance myself so please note this is not professional in the actual definition of the word advice - please seek a solicitor if you want that.