• Tweets

• First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
    • My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
    • The economy grew by 0.6% in the first three months of the year, ending a shallow recession.View the full article
    • First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

When you have filed your AQ................

lateralus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lattie - I am dreading even getting to the AQ stage. I just want this over and done with now. I am thinking to speed things along I would email them politely with my breakdown and write something along these lines :

Without Prejudice & Subject to Contract

"I would like to enquire on the status of my claim. Your defence is due next week and if there is any further information you might need from me please don't hesitate to ask. I have attached the breakdown of your charges which I am claiming for. The cost of settlement will go up a further £100 if you file your defence and we will both have to submit the Allocation Questionnaire.

I am prepared to take this all the way, however, in the interests of saving us all time and money, if HSBC would like to revise their original offer through Colin Langdale then I would consider settling out of court."

Do you think this would help speed things along?

if there is any further information you might need from me please don't hesitate to ask.

Try and avoid looking desperate.

This is not a quick process, you need a degree of patience.

Try and relax Mitcheyboo, it will work out for you. If you had seen as many claims win as I have you would feel the same :-D

• Haha 1

Well, looking at the timescales it seems like it will take another month. I am going to Australia mid-April and ideally I'd like this settled before then.

Ok, if I removed that part which made me look desperate (which I am at the moment) and I send my email, would it harm my claim? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. My claim is for about £2400, but at this stage I am willing to settle for about £2200 if they offer this to me. Would it be worth putting it out there to them? This would be one less claim they'd have to worry about and prepare paperwork for so it's in their best interests to just get rid of me really.

Really helpful post Lattie, especially since I've just filed my AQ :-|

Any chance this thread can be made sticky, so all the other peeps hitting this stage can find it nice and easy?

MBNA: £545.88 recovered in full

HSBC: £2192.50 LBA sent

HFC: £160 biding my time

Citi: £550 Biding my time

Halifax: £350 Biding my time

Total - £3798.38

I agree, great thread. The AQ is something loads of us have questions about and it would help not having to rewite all the advice in other members threads. they can just be directed to this one.

Pen

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

echoblack, up until about a month ago i thought sticky was this really busy, clever guy who wrote loads and loads of threads! or a pudding! or maybe those little yellow notes you put on your fridge to remind yourself you are on a diet!

TO EVERYBODY:

At the request of the mods and site helpers, I'm passing along another thought in the DG part of my original post. Please take a look at it and possibly rethink your approach - THANK YOU. Lattie

• Haha 1

I'm passing along another thought in the DG part of my original post. Please take a look at it and possibly rethink your approach - THANK YOU. Lattie.

Ok, you have lost me there where will I find this thought again

Pen

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

Mammie lattie,

Superbly explained as always. Even I understood it all

Worked out quite well for me with my cock up with the judgment button.

Meant I didn't have to worry about the aq stage just yet, then they offered, and that has all passed me by.

thanks again ;) .

you're welcome, son (i insist my sons are polite, always! very good, dear).

now go get some 180's.

pen - sorry, just assumed everyone reads my thoughts - go back to the first post of this thread and see the dg bit.

To all those who have filed their AQ’s

As this is fairly new territory to the group as a whole, I’ve decided some info is needed for the period of time following the AQ filing.

Only a couple of months ago – very few got to this stage, now it is becoming routine.

Filling in your AQ’s last week or so – I saw the same questions over and over. Let’s take this next stage and look at it.

So, you’ve filed your AQ. An offer could come at any time.

As always – you are fighting this on two fronts: DG and the courts

As for DG

Keep in touch with DG –

Any offer will come through them. Keep the lines of communication open.

You can contact them, but don’t negotiate on the phone.

The approach should be firm but always polite.

Remember: ultimately, they don’t want to go to court and so eventually will make an offer.

AND THIS: The site helpers and mods are concerned that too much "contact" could be construed as harassment - so i'm going to start advising a more laid back approach; both at the just filed a defense stage and after the aq is filed stage.

Once you know they have your breakdown - how about just a weekly approach - might give them more time to make offers, you never know! It is felt that too much of this could also be counter-productive.

As for the COURT side of things:

You’ve filed your AQ – they have exactly the same deadline – so:

Just after the deadline: ring the court to see if they have filed their AQ. The court routinely gives them an extra 7 or 14 days to file. Whatever they say, like they have until xx/xx/xx to file their AQ. The day after that date, ring again and ask if they have filed their AQ. If they say no – ask if the judge will be issuing an “unless order” (unless they file by xx/xx/xx – their defence will be thrown out). When that has passed – ring the court again and ask what the next step is.

They may not file their AQ at all and you may be able to apply for a judgment in default. The court will tell you how to proceed.

To enter Judgment in Default you will need to file a form from the court, this is known as a "Request for Judgment" Form.

The form you need is an N225, find one here: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/H...forms_id =465.

Also on the COURT side of things:

If the judge agrees with the draft order and makes it a direction, it will come back to you and you will have 14 days (the date will be on the paperwork) to send in four things.

a) your schedule of charges.

b) your statements showing the charges. Alternatively, the list of charges which the bank provided under your S.A.R (subject Access Request) (only send the statements with charges on them.)

c) A Statement of Evidence: (post 55 in the new strategy): New strategy for Allocation Questionaires

d) All the statutes and decided cases on which your claim relies. ie, UTCCR's, UCTA's, SOGA, case law, etc. For this, I'd just submit the whole of the Basic Court Bundle.

This whole thing runs to around 200 pages and should be done in triplicate: one copy for you, one for the court and one for dg – that’s 600 pages of copying – LEAVE IT UNTIL YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU NEED IT. If an offer comes in from DG and is accepted you wouldn’t need it. Really leave it until you have to do it to meet the deadline set by the court!

All of this is my take on what happens after the AQ is filed – not CAG policy – just my opinion. Don’t hold me to it……I don’t want to go to court either! Good luck!

Can I ask you a question please?

Can I ask you a question please?

I got the AQ from the courts what the bank had sent them.And in i read they say they two wittnesses in total. Who will these be?No names thou.The money in dispute £2248.49.what about the charges to date what they have charged me? thanks maggie.

are you with hsbc? - oh, i just looked it up - i think you are yorkshire bank - i'm not familiar with their way of going on - perhaps it would be better to ask a site helper or a moderator more familiar with your bank. i don't know anyone on here who has received a copy of the bank's aq and wouldn't know who the witnesses would be for your bank at all. can you pm a site helper - do you know how to do that?

also, this may be of some help: GOT A COURT DATE? A guide to the later stages

Anybody trying to get DG lately will know they are not answering calls or emails or even returning answerphone calls to claimants, i filed my AQ, phoned to ask if they had but alas still waiting a reply! Now to phone the court HEHEHEHE!!!!

i really think it's time to let dg 'breathe' and get on with the job in hand. we've given them enough hassle for the time being, and i now think it's time to contact them only when necessary - and not add to their tranquiliser bill!!!

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

maggiemay (fantastic song by-the-by)

i felt i hadn't helped you at all so on your behalf i have pm'd a helper to take a look at your thread in the other forum and hopefully give some advice. good luck.

• Haha 1

Thought I'd post this here as well as on my own thread Lattie, you said you'd like feedback on people's experience.

For Lukemannion - the court may not give them extra time, I think they're getting cheesed off with them missing deadlines (see below):

Right, here we go again -

I've kept my head down until deadline date(3 Mar) then asked local court if DG had filed AQ. They said give them a couple of days to find out as they were a bit inundated. Phoned today, they said 'No' and suggested I go for judgement. They will help with it - looks like the last lap - it seems the court were not prepared to give DG any more time - settlement may be just around the corner:grin:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

excellent - keep us in the loop, please!

from above:

The court will tell you how to proceed.

To enter Judgment in Default you will need to file a form from the court, this is known as a "Request for Judgment" Form.

The form you need is an N225, find one here: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/H...forms_id =465.