British Gas homecare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3850 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

British Gas ggrrrrr!!

Copy of letter sent a while back, not heard a peep since!

Thinking out loud am now wondering if I should get the system flushed and send BG the bill :mad:

Please find below copy of my letter sent to BG after their 'engineer' serviced our boiler under their 'heating insurance policy' which we had taken out (£16.00 per month) and subsequent probs that were NOT covered within the policy.

Gritish Bas

Central & North West

Newbridge Lane

Stockport

Cheshire

SK1 2YA

Dear Sir/Madam

Re: INVOICE NO. X XXX XXXXXX X

Whilst I accept that the above invoice to be true with regard part supplied on initial first visit, I have long held the belief that the subsequent work carried out with regard the policy (on which the initial work was undertaken) to have been a complete balls up.

Notwithstanding the need to recall your so-called engineer days after fitting a faulty timer, I was given a full examination of my so-called rusty/dodgy pipework and shown a tray of filings that had been accumulating in my heating system ‘over the years’, thus the cause of my complaint with regard the radiators to the ground floor failing to heat to a desired temperature (luke warm at best)

The problem with these radiators I can assure you was NOT evident prior to the fitting of the timer added to the need for myself to re-open the valves to the upper floor radiators, as YOUR engineer had left without amending work of HIS doing!!

I am then advised that the work involved in rectifying this problem, surprise, surprise, is NOT covered by the policy and am hit with a quote of…£511.01, that’s right…No typing error.

Needless to say, I have since taken advice and obtained further quotes FAR cheaper than your own. I request that the aforementioned invoice be cancelled forthwith and the respective so-called Debt Collection Agencies be informed of your course of action.

Failure to agree with the above will require the need for me to take this matter further and may even lead to court proceedings, THIS IS NOT AN IDLE THREAT!

I therefore do not acknowledge this debt.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

SHERLOCK

I did see a report on Granada a few months back regarding similar occurrencies with other Gritish Bas policy holders!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

removing and rinsing out your radiators means the sludge is still in your pipework, it's a half arsed measure. adding the cleansing chemicals from the likes of b&q can help but they're pretty weak and have a limited affect.

be wary of who flushes out your system. many plumbers seem completely incompetent and can't clear air (they don't know how to) or remove blockages and only spend about 4-5 hours flushing it. a proper job for about 7-8 radiators is 7 hours +.

if you've got twin entry radiator valves (valves only on 1 side of the radiator) it CANNOT be properly flushed so if someone tells you they can do it well i'd call them a liar.

Hi screech and after reading your posts id like to add my thoughs also.

As you know all engineers have their own thoughts of different boiler manufacturers and models and of course some firms also, we all have nightmare stories to tell and report like many other trades also.

Generally speaking my work is 90% word of mouth work which as you know dosent come through bad workmanship, when i started my apprenticeship i was at college for five years which included city and guilds for BOTH plumbing and gas central heating fault finding and rectification, i know experience is required to become a good engineer, but i personally do not accept that after a short period of one year which includes being out with an engineer doing on site repairs makes you qualified to be out there in the thick of things, i have insurance plans within my company and i can assure you some of them who used to be with BG came to me for that reason alone. (multiple visits for fault that never seems to be fixed and this is not only the adult trainees im talking about here)

The problem BG have is a similar one throughout the country, in past years how many apprenticeships are there to be taken in comparrison to say 25 years ago, this is now being addressed and there is more funding made available now for this and i for one have taken advantage of this and have an apprentice stating shortly, the point is i would NOT send this apprentice out within such a short time of being with us as he would not be competent to deal with the many situations that arise out there and this would lead to a poor reflection on my companies reputation that i have worked hard to make, but BG are according to many customers and this is reflecting their reputation. Im all for training of adults who wish to join the proffession but feel they should go through a full apprenticeship which includes going out with tradesman before being released upon the public.

• 1 year later...

hi - i have a scottish gas homecare 300 insurance which includes plumbing and drains cover. today i called out an engineer to check out a leak to my hot water tap in the kitchen. - he found the section of copper pipe was porous and little pinhole leaks were causing the problem he then told me(after a lenthy discussion with his office in his van)to my amazement that this problem was not covered but could give me a quote.!!! could anyone out there check there homecare 300 agreement and tell me if scottish gas are at it- and if so what can i do .

i have phoned them to complain and got nowhere so am going to cancel my contract but still feel i should take them to task for breach of contract but dont know what road to take.

cheers

davie

All these type of contract are a complete waste of money. They want to change your boiler after 7 years at your expense even though the premiums paid would buy a couple of boilers.

It does say in the T&Cs that you have to pay, so might as well ditch it and get in a plumber if and when needed.

Subject to the terms of your agreement. Under HomeCare Flexi™ options a fixed fee for every completed repair, including related faults is payable

hi - thanks for replying- yes i have -the diagram shows the pipes in question are covered by the agreement but scottish gas are apparently using the general exclusion rule---

4.1 Design or existing faults

We will not include the cost of repairs needed because of design faults (unless we are responsible), or faults which existed before you entered into the agreement and which we could not identify on our first inspection of that particular system or appliance using reasonable care and skill.----

-considering they have never ever done a inspection of any sort on my plumbing(contract was done over the phone)then all my pipework will fall under this exclusion rendering my contract useless-- i have complained to them today to no avail and have now cancelled my complete contract ..

trading standards say i should write and complain but my leaky pipes need fixed urgently so its off to wickes in the morning.- if you want something done - do it yourself!!

If the pipes are covered and you have drawings which show and say so then I see no point in ending the agreement just at this point.

You should have demanded that they do what is in the contract, even threatening court action, and then on completion cancelled.

It really depends on whats in your T&C's as they say "or faults which existed before you entered into the agreement and which we could not identify on our first inspection of that particular system or appliance using reasonable care and skill."

How long have you been in this contract and did they have a reasonable amount of time to carry out an inspection? If they had ample time and didnt carry out an inspection then the policy is of no use and as such your payments taken should be returned. They cant have it both ways although they would like to think they can.

hi bigmac - no they never carried out an inspection at all -just upgraded my cover over the phone about 6 years ago. trying to get anywhere with them is an impossibility so i am washing my hands of them apparently like thousands more .

i am considering hydro electrics ch & boiler care and will attend to the plumbing myself.

cheers

I hear you and understand fully, however I wouldnt let up on BG.

You say the engineer said the pipe was porous and had pinholes in it?

I doubt this is the truth and you should keep the pipe in question and pursue BG for the return of any premiums paid towards this cover.

Sorry to butt in n this thread but I am so angry!!!

My 75 yr old mother had her yearly *service* from BG as part of the Homecare she has been paying for over the last 20 odd years.

The *engineer* left a note to say she needed more ventilation and put a yellow at risk sticker on the boiler (AWorcester 280 Combi about 10 yrs old).

Now my mum has never had a problem with this boiler at all and the only time she has has work done it has been to upgrade the ventilation.

However, I rang BG the day after as my mum said she had no paperwork re the service. ( She is very forgetful and gets easily confused) The guy I spoke to in Customer Service said he would send a new engineer out on the following monday. New engineer came out and also said vents needed upgrading and gave a quote of £188 to do the job.

Fait enough you might say. BUT the next day a salesman came to see my mum and I dont know how but he talked her into a new boiler!!!!!

She has paid £3360 for a new oversized boiler (Worcester 530) for hwer small bungalow. The best bit is that they havent changed the ventilation one bit!!/

I have been in touch with BG today and am waiting for all the paperwork concerning my mums old boiler as I think we should at least have an engineers report to say why she needed a new boiler.

Anyone have any ideas where to go next??

I have my local trading standards number and intend to inform them on Monday.

hi - do not accept any of this nonsense from british gas -the internet is full of similar stories re new boilers being sold when all that was required was a simple repair - in your case i assume the service engineer found nothing wrong with the actual boiler when it was only the ventilation sticker that was applied . please get a second opinion re boiler from local corgi registered plumber if in doubt -might cost you £50 + but worth it no doubt. i assume you also have statutory right to cancel i.e 14 days cooling off but trading standards office of fair trading or citizenz advice will keep you right - also look elsewhere for boiler cover - there are plenty about other than british gas - who seem to be only interested in sales and not fussy how they get them. tell your mam not to worry i am certain you can cancel and perhaps even sue the perpetrator for distress and mis-selling!!

- by the way the engineer who came in to me to check my leaky hot water pipe was more interested in the age of my boiler !!!

please let me know how you get on!!!

Also to everyone else out there did you know some utility companies are training up thier meter readers to sell boiler care ,telephone ,broadband etc & once they are in your home under pretense of reading the meter you are going to get the hard sell!!!- beware who you let in to your home even if they do have i.d. !!!!

:eek:

Hi mackem67 firstly let me say how disgusted i feel when people are pressurised into accepting a new boiler or system.

The AR sticker is AT RISK. (Appliance should be turned off)

The ID sticker is IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS. (Appliance disconnected from gas supply)

The NCS sticker is NOT to CURRENT STANDARDS (Advise the responsible person thats all, no further action required)

I have came across this practice many times in my work and I can assure you that a lack of ventilation for your boiler is only NCS rating. By issuing an AR sticker it gives the wrong idea to the householder and may influence a decision into buying a new boiler/system which will provide a healthy bonus for that engineer.

I would ask for a detailed explanation as to why the boiler was classed as AR and not NCS it may be there was something else wrong but more than likely it would be only the ventilation. Have a second opinion by a corgi registered fitter who can calculate the exact amount of ventilation required and if it needs increased then they will give you a fair price for doing that.

£188 isnt a fair price for that work.

• 1 month later...
All these type of contract are a complete waste of money. They want to change your boiler after 7 years at your expense even though the premiums paid would buy a couple of boilers.

It does say in the T&Cs that you have to pay, so might as well ditch it and get in a plumber if and when needed.

Quote:

Subject to the terms of your agreement. Under HomeCare Flexi™ options a fixed fee for every completed repair, including related faults is payable

Just felt the need to clear up any confusion, Under Homecare Flexi your Agreement is at a reduced rate per month so indeed on completion of a successful repair a Payment of £49.99 is taken, this is not taken when on a Normal Homecare Agreement.

In general, a policy from anybody that includes a service, no call out charge, no parts charge etc for about £16 a month is good value as far as I'm concerned.

BG's flexi policies are rubbish, always take out the fully comp ones.

Swalec's Shield is very good too and a little cheaper than BG.

Bear in mind that a good central heating system can cost £3/4k+ then a service alone is essential.

I have my car serviced every year and it is now 15 years old and runs like a dream. Just like my boiler which is also serviced every year.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a couple of these useless contracts with BG. Failed to show for inspection, which was overdue and then got attitude from a girl on the phone. What capped it and forced me to litigation was when the engineer carried out service and placed an 'At Risk' sticker on the boiler.

Had it independantly tested, and surprise, surprise it passed !!!! (2006) and has just passed again (Sept 08)

Issued SC proceedings for refund of years payments (due breach of contract) plus independant test costs + interest. Received call from head of 'Customer Service' (Laugh) to advise will settle. However wanted me to sign a Tomlin Order which I declined.

To all the legal eagles out there..... What are my options? In my mind this is fraud.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently had a Homecare engineer come to replace a faulty pull-cord switch in the bedroom of my rental property. As he had a "trainee" with him, he was let loose into inspecting other aspects of my electrical system. Fine...

He found a fault in the kitchen - a kitchen I had installed about 20 years ago by a reputable firm, to code at the time. The code has obviously changed over the years, and the current installation would not be acceptable under modern standards, but it had been perfectly functional. An earth leak had developed in an electrical line had ran behind the cooker in a spur line.

British Gas then said that it wasn't covered - because it was "inadequately installed". They were quite happy to take my money off me every month for quite a few years now, without ever mentioning to me that any aspect of a FAULT in my electrics would not be covered because I am sure that very little of it is up to "code". How many older houses will have electrics that meet the ever-changing electrical code?

I had had my electrics inspected independently a couple of times since 2000 as part of my responsibilities as a landlord, and never had an inkling that my system was "incorrectly installed".

To me, this is taking money under false pretences, and I am considering taking a small claims case for the return of my premiums. I wasn't asking them to upgrade my system, but to fix a FAULT that had developed in a system that had been installed correctly in the first place.

Any views?

If I have understood correctly, you asked BG to fix a pull cord fault which they have declined due to finding an earthing fault behind a kitchen appliance? And I'm assuming your BG insurance covers electrical faults.

Does not sound reasonable to me.

In the first instance you need to give BG the opportunity to fix the fault before calling in an electrician from outside.

Write to complain that the earthing fault, whilst having been identified has nothing to do with the fault you had called them out to fix and would like to give them the opportunity to rectify before having the work completed by an outside contractor.

In addition include copies of the wiring tests / documentation you have had carried out at the property over the last few years. This will show the court (if it gets to that stage) that you are a responsible Landlord.

The use of the word 'reasonable' in your letter, in my experience is important, as The Small Claims procedure is based on reasonableness.

If this does not do the trick get back to me.

P.S. Advice is given without liability and is based on my experience in the Small Claims Court only.

Sorry, they did fix the pull cord - that is a pretty simple job. They refused to fix the earthing fault that they found.

I had to have the job done, because I had new tenants moving in, so I didn't have any time to mess around with them. After the engineer initially refused to fix it, I phoned them back again to query. They arranged for another engineer to come - but initially sent me an appliance engineer (!) and the following day then sent the same original electrical engineer back! He just refused again, so I was forced to get another contractor in. I couldn't in all conscience let the house, knowing that two sockets were dodgy in the kitchen.

I have asked the second contractor to write a report on exactly what they found, and what they had to fix as part of my documentation for any eventual small claim.

British Gas rang me to discuss my complaint, and the woman I was speaking to (Customer Relations, not technical) was adamant that anything fault in the installation that was not up to code would not be covered. The codes change all the time, so I seriously wonder just how many homes would actually find themselves covered in the event of a fault?

It is not a fault when it is not up to code, but something that needs to be upgraded, and for this reason they won't fix it.

So much for their "peace of mind" offer...

Yes, it is annoying, when they attempt to portray themselves as a company that will prevent you having unexpected expense and giving you peace of mind in the event of a breakdown.

The gas cover on your boiler will only be of benefit until they can't get parts for your boiler, when you will be offered a "special discount" rate for a new boiler that will be well above what you be charged by an independent engineer, with subsequent additional costs for such basics as adjustments to the flue (for the change in size over time).

If there is any opportunity for them to condemn your boiler as unsafe, once parts are no longer available, they will.

The plumbing cover is pretty useless. It doesn't cover taps or stopcocks. It will cover pipes that leak, but if they burst from freezing, you'll be screwed. Leaking radiators are covered, amazingly, but I doubt that any radiator valves will be covered. I've had a ballcock fail in my coldwater tank, and that amazingly, was covered - but they replaced it with a TOILET ballcock, which then eventually failed again.

I am trying to put together a range of local business people that I can use, to support the local economy, rather than continuing to give British Gas my money.

• 1 year later...

BG HomeCare - What a joke! My mother (78) took out HomeCare so she didn't have to bother me if anything went wrong. Nice theory except that BG could NOT organise a pppparty in brewery.

It was simple problem. Immersion heater had gone. With a local plumber it would have gone like this: Plumber turns up starts tank draining, checks immersion heater and if one on his van then has a cup tea while tank drains, otherwise trip to local builder's merchant to pick up part. Fits part. Turns water back on. Job done, about 1/2 a day a most because it's a big tank (Econ 7) on ground floor so bottom is 2 foot off the ground.

And how long did BG (or Dyna-rod their agents) take? 10 days and 4 missed appointments. And those were 4, you have to wait in all day, appointments. And here is where it gets stoopid. You can can phone and book an appointment but half the staff think you are cover and half think you're not (despite it saying on page 12 under plumbing cover, immersion heater). The half that think you don't have cover cancel the appointment and don't bother to call you to tell you (yeah what is that thing called customer service?).

Dyna-rod "customer service" tried to explain this to me as something like, all immersion heaters are gas so we don't do immersion heaters, except if you're not on gas then we do, but since we don't we automatically cancel callouts that say immersion heater. Didn't make any sense to me either, sounds a bit like all animals are pink (on the inside), all elephants are animals therefore all elephants are pink. It was funny when I was 8, it's not funny when it's an excuse from "customer services".

And here's another WTF moment. In response to the threat of going outside and sending them the bill an appointment is booked that they say they will keep. Doubting this I chase them early and repeatedly, pointing out that it takes a few hours to drain this tank so turning up a 5pm isn't going to work. Oh we weren't going to do the job today we were just going to turn off the hot water and drain the tank. WHAT? You mean you're going to make the situation WORSE and then go away? No hot water AT ALL (by this time we had worked out that we could use boost to provide a small amount).

And now they offer compensation, about £30 which by my reckoning is £8/day or £1 an hour. And that's not counting the faxes and phone calls.

Basically if BG ran the NHS then ambulances would all be black as they'd be hearses! A local plumber would have had this sorted in half a day as soon as he could fit you in. For that amount of my time it has take I could have done it rather than chasing the numpties at BG.

In case any one needs it here is the complaint line for BG (Centrica)

Phone: 01784 878872

fax: 01784 874070

took a bit of tracking down since BG do not put that on their web site (I wonder why).

• 4 months later...

BG Homecare....dont touch it. They claim they will fix you boiler parts and labour free. They came to me and told me that I need a new heat exchanger...then in the next sentance said it will be charged at an additional £150.00!!......On the basis that I live in a hard water area and the BG Terms and Conditions state that parts and labour are not included in hard water areas because of issues concerning scale build up. For christs sakes....The whole of the South East is a hard water area...every area is prone to scale build up!!!! So, this means if you call them out for any reason all they have to say is...."Sorry you live in a hard water area you are not covered" therefore the homecare service is not worth the paper its printed on.