• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mercers Debt Collection

Donel261
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just noticed on my online banking that Barclaycard have taken a payment of £172 without my permission - the number given to me by the nice lady at Barclays is...... guess who.

To give a bit of background - I stopped paying my Credit Card (£500) in about September 2005. I was living abroad then and moved back to the UK in April 2006. I am very confused as to why, 2.5 years later they have taken payment with no contact in any way shape or form, not by post, by phone, not to my parents phone (where they started their disgraceful practice) or by email.

Can they do this? I would of assumed that Barclaycard would have written this off by now (seeing as according to the CSA website Mercers is Barclaycard t/a Mercers. Surely taking my money from my account without my permission is theft. I'll be calling them tomorrow and will make a complaint to the police if it is not refunded immediately.

Any advice on how to take these ba*****s on?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

i have been getting a massive amount of calls from these guys as well, also i have several debts that are over 6 years and i have them on 1 pound per month arrangments, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions if i can get rid of any of these. mbna just offered me to settle a 5500 dent for 1300 but i dont have this kind of money.

james

i have been getting a massive amount of calls from these guys as well, also i have several debts that are over 6 years and i have them on 1 pound per month arrangments, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions if i can get rid of any of these. mbna just offered me to settle a 5500 dent for 1300 but i dont have this kind of money.

james

Have these £1 per month payments been authorised by a county court?

If not, then cease all payments immediately & demand a refund for monies you have already paid.

They had no authority to that money.

Report them to the OFT/trading standards, obtain their complaints proceedure & threaten them with your own county court action if they do not refund you :)

are you saying that you dont think i have to pay these even if i have been paying them?? the 1 pound per month was done by me with no court action after speaking with the cccs

If it was not authorised by a county court, then they had no legal authority to that money off you whatsoever.

They have simply obtained the monies off you through threats & deception (which is actually a crime last time i looked ;))

I would also consider making a police compliant (not 999), to go along side all the other complaints you can make to the likes of the OFT/trading standards etc..

It might be worth a visit to your local county court to enquire about obtaining the money back off them.

If you are unemployed, then i think there is no charge for bringing such an action?

Hello PT!

Happy with that, moderate away!

Cheers,

BRW

Looks like he has.:D:D:D:D

We seem to be getting an influx of trolls at the minute. Business must be really slow in the threat centres:shock:

• 3 weeks later...

This is a post for my ex girlfirend

After years of no money problems she now lost her job and on benefits

She informed Barclays and asked for interest to be dropped and a token payment holiday

They replied no and passed the debt after first payment failed to Mercers

Mercers have already written and demanding payment

The debt is with Barclays and i feel after all these years to miss a payment and them to pass over is wrong

So should she ignore the Mercer side of it?

They have to be trading the letter was dated 25/3/2009

I too have a problem with Mercers, Barclayshark have passed one account over to Mercers (according to my monthly statement), all of a sudden Mercers have sent default notices for both accounts, I haven't had any form of written correspondence from Mercers prior to these two notices arriving in the post.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dwheeler

Hi All

I see that Barclaycard and Mercers are mentioned a lot on this forum.

I actually work for Barclaycard and can confirm that

Mercers Debt Collectors and Calder Debt Collectors are trading names of Barclaycard and all staff are paid by Barclaycard. Staff are legally allowed to call customers from 8.00 am till 9.00 pm 7 days a week. We are paid to help customers and have a range of plans to help customers with financial difficulties, we are grade B3 which is the equilivant of a branch manager. Debt management companies seem to tell cardholders to ignore all our calls and send our letters to them.. I must stress that in most cases the DBC dont even action these letters which is why our calls continue, what the DMC's seem to forget is that its your name on the credit agreement and its your credit file which is affected by non-payment. I have had customers sending a DMC in excess of £300 a month and Barclaycard and other creditors are getting nothing!!! DMC's are not regulated and in 100's of cases they take more than is actuall needed!!

there are 2 main free assistance helplines which are;

CCCS (consumer credit councelling service) 0800 138 111

PayPlan 0800 716 239 you may have to wait for an appointment but Barclaycard will hold you account for upto 14 days while you seek advise.

From personal experience I can only pleed with you all to take free advise and dont be tempted to pay for debt management, your already in debt so dont add to it. I hope my advise helps.

Hi All

I see that Barclaycard and Mercers are mentioned a lot on this forum.

I actually work for Barclaycard and can confirm that

Mercers Debt Collectors and Calder Debt Collectors are trading names of Barclaycard and all staff are paid by Barclaycard. Staff are legally allowed to call customers from 8.00 am till 9.00 pm 7 days a week. We are paid to help customers and have a range of plans to help customers with financial difficulties, we are grade B3 which is the equilivant of a branch manager.

Sorry but i disagree there

You cannot avail yourselves of any wrong doing by simply saying "we are allowed to call....." simply you are not, ask your legal team about Ferguson and British Gas;)

I have a client who is seeking an injunction against your company,

the client has fallen upon hard time, told your company about it, offered to pay and provided income and expense details showing the money offered is all they can afford

did Barclays and Mercers accept this? Did they hell, not they started calling my client demanding money even though they were told of the situation, now is this the right way to go about things?

Simple answer is NO its not, it is disgraceful and should not be allowed, whats more , it seems Barclays dont see anything wrong with 22 calls in one day

so sadly, i dont accept for one minute what you are saying, nor does our counsel who is taking the application for an injunction to the court on our clients behalf

Edited by pt2537

Guest dwheeler

I did not come on here to argue over each individual case, nor did i come on here to defend Barclaycard. Like most companies we have policies and procedure to adhere to, if your clients offer has been rejected it must be below our guidelines in which case we will continue to call.

It might be worth while to know that as a company Barclaycard do not employ debt collectors nor do we employ balliffs we try to encourage customers to continue to may the product minimum ranging from 1% upto 5% you would have to check your terms and conditions. Once an account has been overdue for a period of 7 months the account is charged off and the debt is sold to the highest bidder, bearing in mind it is then there debt and they can collect as they see fit e.g. debt collectors or ballifs, so im sure you will agree coming to an agreement with ourselves is the easiest option for all concerned. a friendly piece of advise, as a company Barclaycard will no longer accept £1.00 per month as some other companies do, try £5.00 and have CCCS or payplan make the offer on your behalf and im sure you will be pleasently surprised

if you have any queries about what ive said we work closely with CCCS 0800 138 111 0800 716 239 and payplan who will be able to offer you advise on this mtter

Guest dwheeler
Sorry but i disagree there

You cannot avail yourselves of any wrong doing by simply saying "we are allowed to call....." simply you are not, ask your legal team about Ferguson and British Gas;)

I have a client who is seeking an injunction against your company,

the client has fallen upon hard time, told your company about it, offered to pay and provided income and expense details showing the money offered is all they can afford

did Barclays and Mercers accept this? Did they hell, not they started calling my client demanding money even though they were told of the situation, now is this the right way to go about things?

Simple answer is NO its not, it is disgraceful and should not be allowed, whats more , it seems Barclays dont see anything wrong with 22 calls in one day

so sadly, i dont accept for one minute what you are saying, nor does our counsel who is taking the application for an injunction to the court on our clients behalf

I did not come on here to argue over each individual case, nor did i come on here to defend Barclaycard. Like most companies we have policies and procedure to adhere to, if your clients offer has been rejected it must be below our guidelines in which case we will continue to call.

It might be worth while to know that as a company Barclaycard do not employ debt collectors nor do we employ balliffs we try to encourage customers to continue to may the product minimum ranging from 1% upto 5% you would have to check your terms and conditions. Once an account has been overdue for a period of 7 months the account is charged off and the debt is sold to the highest bidder, bearing in mind it is then there debt and they can collect as they see fit e.g. debt collectors or ballifs, so im sure you will agree coming to an agreement with ourselves is the easiest option for all concerned. a friendly piece of advise, as a company Barclaycard will no longer accept £1.00 per month as some other companies do, try £5.00 and have CCCS or payplan make the offer on your behalf and im sure you will be pleasently surprised

if you have any queries about what ive said we work closely with CCCS 0800 138 111 0800 716 239 and payplan who will be able to offer you advise on this mtter

My client doesnt need CCCS, they need and have a damn good lawyer,

i dont wish to argue either but id like to say that your comment that "if your clients offer has been rejected it must be below our guidelines in which case we will continue to call." really shows the mentality behind your company, goodness sakes, if the person cant pay, why make their life a misery???

Unbelieveable

as for selling the debt on, ask your legal team in Churchil Place if you can sell something you dont own ;) oh and while your at it ask them about Gracechurch funding who are the company your firm uses to securitise its credit card debts through but dont take my word for it

Barclays.com - Securitisation heres your firms website,

you see, if you securitise the debt that means its no longer on your balance sheet, so ringing a client who doesnt owe you any money is blatent harrassment and trust me, that is a serious matter

trouble is, you keep things from the debtors as you dont tell them youve securitised their debts which is naughty naughty

in which case we will continue to call.

If your company is ORDERED by the individual to stop calling then they must obey that instruction.

If it doesnt then thats were the police become involved & the likes of the OFT/trading standards etc...

Theres no difference between an individual being told to stop ringing someone & a company being told to do so.

If the individual did not stop then it would become a police/legal matter.

Same applies with companies as well :)

Sorry, DW, but if Mercers and Calders are Barclaycard, as you have just stated, and most of us know anyway, why do they ring people up and say "the account has been passed to us", as though they are debt collectors? I was so bullied and frightened by constant calls from Mercers/Calders threatening doorstep calls I ended up paying them instead of my mortgage and now have a suspended repossession order on my home. Thanks a lot, Barclaycard, Mercers, Calders for wonderful advice. :rolleyes: Helpful? you are joking.

Needless to say, CCCS don't advise anyone, as far as I have seen, to ask for a copy of our credit agreements, and as you will also be aware, bcard seem to be trying every trick in the book to avoid sending these agreements to anyone. CCCS are of course funded by the card companies, so won't bite the hand that feeds them.

You may not be one of the bullies at bcard/Mercers/Calders, and some of the people I have spoken to there have been reasonable and helpful, but equally there are a number of total bullies who work for the organization who would drive people to throw themselves off the nearest bridge. When I complained about one particularly obnoxious character I was told no action would be taken because surely he shouldn't be penalised for "one mistake" in his conduct? I wonder if they were referring to "one mistake" per hour, per day, per week? How many other people did this horrible individual drive to the brink of suicide?

DD

Guest dwheeler
My client doesnt need CCCS, they need and have a damn good lawyer,

i dont wish to argue either but id like to say that your comment that "if your clients offer has been rejected it must be below our guidelines in which case we will continue to call." really shows the mentality behind your company, goodness sakes, if the person cant pay, why make their life a misery???

Unbelieveable

as for selling the debt on, ask your legal team in Churchil Place if you can sell something you dont own ;) oh and while your at it ask them about Gracechurch funding who are the company your firm uses to securitise its credit card debts through but dont take my word for it

Barclays.com - Securitisation heres your firms website,

you see, if you securitise the debt that means its no longer on your balance sheet, so ringing a client who doesnt owe you any money is blatent harrassment and trust me, that is a serious matter

trouble is, you keep things from the debtors as you dont tell them youve securitised their debts which is naughty naughty

The reason why it goes off our balance sheet is because this is know as impairment which effects every bank in the UK.

I dont know the exact rates but to explain my point I will use simple figures.

e.g. customer has a 1,000 limit if they miss one month Barclaycard has to move 5% two months 10% and so on so when an account is in collections Barclaycard cannot use that money because it has to be set to one side like an insurance if you like. google impairmement to see more facts.

Barclaycard pass the debt to Mercers or Calders

United Utilities pass the debt to Moorcroft Debt Recovery

BT pass the debt to Moorcroft Debt Recovery

Intrim Justicia has just announced that companies and banks are now looking at new ways to recovery debt

as I said sent an offer through CCCS or PayPlan and offer £5.00 or over and I will wait for a message from you

Barclaycard will no longer accept £1.00 per month as some other companies do

Dont think they'd have much of a choice if a county court orders it once all essential outgoings have been taken into account..£1 per month is the minimum legal...so it would be a case of like it or lump it really ;)

Guest dwheeler
Sorry, DW, but if Mercers and Calders are Barclaycard, as you have just stated, and most of us know anyway, why do they ring people up and say "the account has been passed to us", as though they are debt collectors? I was so bullied and frightened by constant calls from Mercers/Calders threatening doorstep calls I ended up paying them instead of my mortgage and now have a suspended repossession order on my home. Thanks a lot, Barclaycard, Mercers, Calders for wonderful advice. :rolleyes: Helpful? you are joking.

Needless to say, CCCS don't advise anyone, as far as I have seen, to ask for a copy of our credit agreements, and as you will also be aware, bcard seem to be trying every trick in the book to avoid sending these agreements to anyone. CCCS are of course funded by the card companies, so won't bite the hand that feeds them.

Hi DD

When they say "passed to us" this seems to be a tatic used by various companies nowadays, whether I agree with it or not I know that many companies such as Barclaycard, Manweb, United Utilities, Virgin, BT and many more have realised rather than pay for debt collectors its easier and cheaper to employ their own staff set up another number and trade under this name.

I certainly would have took this matter further and asked to speak to a manager or even put the complaint in writing. you may like to know that all calls are recorded and every member of staff have 8 call qualities each month and if they behave like that they are marked down and the call is passed to their manager, I have worked at Barclaycard for numerous years and have never heard of the "one mistake" rule, I am discusted because its people like that who make decent peoples jobs like mine more dificult and why forums like this are booming.

Barclaycard take suicide extremely serious and we have special team or managers to deal with such threats, i dont know how long ago you called but I would write a letter and wait for a response

This is not the norm at Barclaycard and i sincerely appologise for their actions.