• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Stole from m&s very worried

I know I was wrong and I'd pay 10 thousand pounds in fine if I had to but the jail idea is destroying me.

What would happen to my child.

I'd lose my job.

No way to pay mortgage.

People would find out and I'd be hated by those who know me.

I know a lot of people will probably say "I won't do this again" and then when nothing happens they probably get right back to it. Not me.

We've sat down together and spoke about the whole situation.

About how it's shocked us and that it's not worth it going forward.

We've decided not to go to m&s anymore and to write down what we are going to buy and make a budget.

Buying our meat from the butchers and using aldi for our veg, bits and pieces.

My partner didn't like me doing it at all at first but then after getting away with it a few my partner became OK with it.

Its my fault I got my partner into it and I feel guilty for that.

I understand my partner is in the wrong just as I am, no one forced anyone into it. 

• Like 2

please stop hitting quote

just type in the msg box.

there will be no prison

there will be no police.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Honestly, this wake up call is probably what you needed.

The likelihood of police being involved is practically zero. They usually don't bother for reports after the fact (security would have had to have placed you under citizens arrest) and the amount you've stole is relatively so little it wouldn't be worth their time.

Use this as a learning experience, and build back better. You've got my full support!

You absolutely 100% need to talk to someone about this. Speak to someone on the phone ideally, as it sounds like in-person support didn't work. Talking matters was likely group therapy and you really need 1-to-1 support now.

If you put your postcode into this form, it will give you the number for your local mental health urgent support team.

WWW.NHS.UK

Find NHS urgent mental health helplines for people of all ages. Call for 24-hour support from a local service to help you with a mental health emergency.

You can also contact Samaritans on 116 123.

If you would prefer to vent using text over speaking to someone. You can text SHOUT to 85258 at any time and it will connect you to someone who will listen to YOU. Not a group.

All these services are anonymous, non-judgmental and COMPLETELY FREE.

Also consider Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774. This number is available Monday-Friday, 10:30-16:30.

You've been signposted to support, now is the time to use it!

• Like 2

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Police involvement,  highly , highly unlikely? Prison? not in a million years, more likely a slap on the wrist

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You need to read ALL of those sentencing guidelines (rather than the ‘barebones’), so, including:

a) culpability

b) harm,

c) mitigation, and

d) totality.

I doubt the police would be involved, but I can’t be so certain as to say “it’d never happen”

Even if it did, I can’t see (under those guidelines, for the facts stated) that there would be a custodial sentence.

Edited by BazzaS

I've been reading loads on different forums and articles on Google.

I've not seen any responses on forums to what had happened to them after being caught and contacted by the police.

But I've seen plenty of articles with people getting weeks and months in prison for stealing food/drinks anywhere from £150 to over 2 thousand. Many of them had been caught by security but there is a couple that says the cctv was sent to police and they tracked them down.

But they wouldn't need to track anyone down when they can easily look at the debit card used? 

I have no idea if anyone has seen before this occasion or if this is the first time. I was hoping they would be waiting for me next time to stop me. But the more I read about this stuff the more i think I'm screwed.

1 hour ago, strangerdanger said:

I've not seen any responses on forums to what had happened to them after being caught and contacted by the police.

you weren't stopped at the time on the day, so the police would not be the first point of contact to you now. never seen nor heard of the police knocking on doors.

But I've seen plenty of articles with people getting weeks and months in prison for stealing food/drinks

mostly gang members AND the police were called when caught in store. 

there is a couple that says the cctv was sent to police and they tracked them down.

i very much doubt that unless it was for £100's or £1000's of in store theft. yours is not serious to them. and over many occasions. not worth the staff time to find them all and tot up your total 'theft' .

the more I read about this stuff the more i think I'm screwed.

nope.

they dont even know who you are and the store/security staff most certainly under LAWS cannot pass your details on to anyone other than the police.

if these RLP/DWF retail loss scammers latterly write i'd be seriously questioning their GDPR right to do this. never ever heard of it ever happening .

i used to work with in store/shopping centre security CCTV for +25yrs. never once did this happen to a joe public on theft that wasnt +£1000's worth.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

most likely they will just be waiting for me to return? 

As I was walking up to the self check out there were two guys there one of them kept looking over at me and then when I was there he kept watching (stupid to continue I know).  Then he went straight to my till right after I left it, logged in and started checking.

This is the same guy I saw run out really fast to stop someone who tripped the alarm about 2 month ago (security tag on beef).

Which makes me think someone may have reported it the previous time. Or maybe not.

violent and serious offenders are being let out early because of overcrowded, and underfunded prisons they are most certainly NOT locking up people for stealing a few hundred quids worth of crisps.  However take it as a warning sign not to continue, because you really don't want a criminal record. 

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread