Holmer Park Health Park Gym - Verbally Cancelled membership months ago - told it was done - but just discovered DD still Active **RECLAIMED BY DD GUARANTEE**

Hi, I probably don't have a leg to stand on here but thought I would ask , just in case. I've been a member of a private health club and decided to cancel my membership over 7 months ago now.  

When I asked at reception how to go about cancelling she said she would do that for me. My direct debits are all in a holding account that I didn't check because I assumed (incorrectly) that everything had been taken care of.

My life has been somewhat preoccupied looking after my elderly uncle who has dementia, so when I went to set up a new direct debit for something else I was upset to find I was still paying the membership. The membership relies on a card that you scan in and out of the building so I do have evidence that I have not been there.

When I spoke to management they said that their policy is to send an emailand a months notice. That wasn't't what I was told at the time. I don't suppose it makes any difference but thought I would ask just in case.

Thank you. 

When you say that your money is in a holding account, what does that mean?
Has your membership actually been cancelled?

Also, which gym/health club are you talking about?

I meant an account where all my direct debits go out of sorry I thought it was called a holding account.

The health club is called Holmer Park in Hereford.

They said they will cancel my membership now.

But I’ve given them a lot of money because of following advice I believed at the time to be trusted. 

Who gave you this advice?

Also, have you any evidence that you make the telephone cancellation?

I’m afraid I don’t know as it was so long ago.

It was someone on reception & I spoke to them in person which means I probably have nothing accept they would see I haven’t been in the building for over 7 months because I haven’t used the card.

work out the date when you stated you wished to 'cancel' regardless to the method or if it actually 'happened' 

then goto your bank and do a DD guarantee reclaim back to one month after that date , i'e allow ONE payment to go out meeting the industry std of 30 days cancellation notice.

nothing anyone can do to you if you succeed.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well done. Get ready for threatening letters from the gym – and of course ignore them

well done, glad to help.

just ignore everything you get by any comms means.

they probably dont do anything but just be fore warned, it's ALL hot air, other than complaining to the bank, and the VERY remote chance the bank MIGHT reverse it, there is nothing anyone can do to you.

and just in case 

if you ever get any comms from a DCA...

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT it's type.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you guys I really appreciate the advice.

It hasn’t landed in my bank yet but she said if it doesn’t get in by 5pm today it will be 5pm tomorrow.

The refund needed to be submitted by 4pm today & it was just 4pm. 

I will the rest of your advise for any possible come back.

Assuming it all goes smoothly regarding the refund.

Thanks again your advice is so very much appreciated x

• Thanks 1

Hi Arty,

When the gym sees the bank has reversed the DD's, they may contact you seeking the money back. Whatever happens, just let us know what they say.

We may suggest how you should respond or we may suggest you ignore them completely.

Given the amount of time involved since you cancelled, and the amount involved in the refund of DD's by the bank, it may be worth writing 1 letter to the gym clarifying your position regarding the cancellation and the reason for the reclaimed DD's.

Keep us posted ........

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• dx100uk changed the title to Holmer Park Health Park Gym - Verbally Cancelled membership months ago - told it was done - but just discovered DD still Active **RECLAIMED BY DD GUARANTEE**

thread title updated.

dx

and they

Yes thanks, will keep you posted.

I’m almost excited to see what happens now.

The woman at the bank was really helpful.

When we realised how much they had taken out of my account she became quite protective.

It’s been worth going through the whole thing just to experience my bank looking after me. 

Not to mention everyone on the forum, I don’t know what I’d do without You xx

Hi everyone, the money went into my account! 😊.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I have made a donation for as much as i can afford taking into account if I have to pay it back.

If all goes well will donate more - because you all deserve lots and lots of financial and much more reward. 

Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

:yo:

• Thanks 1

and they

• 2 weeks later...