US elections November 2024 [amended 18/04/24 - HB]

as

Trump news – live: Ex-president pleads fifth amendment 440 times as Trumpworld hunts Mar-a-Lago raid informant

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

‘Violence against law enforcement is not the answer, no matter who you’re upset with,’ says Christopher Wray

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Well, heres another the of the Trump'et team thats about to be thrown to the dogs eh?

Hope he's ready for the death threats from the trump nuts.

"a lawyer for the ex-president also told the Department of Justice (DOJ) in June that all classified material at Mar-a-Lago had been returned."

"At least one member of Mr Trump’s legal team signed a written statement earlier this summer stating that all of the materials marked as classified which were stored in boxes at Mr Trump’s private Florida club and home had been handed over to the government"

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Rolling coverage of the latest developments following the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago
.. Trump says - its all that traitors fault.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Perhaps more that they don't expect to be paid, but for nobodies (prepared to lie) its good advertising

Bad news is a Trumpet beat cheney for the grop Wyoming seat

The Tory Legacy

That's a shame about Wyoming.

If I were a lawyer, as you say I'd be worried about not being paid. I think Trump has form for this, especially if the result goes against him. Did he have a run in with Giuliani? I can't remember exactly.

Illegitimi non carborundum

4 hours ago, tobyjugg2 said:

Perhaps more that they don't expect to be paid, but for nobodies (prepared to lie) its good advertising

Bad news is a Trumpet beat cheney for the grop Wyoming seat

And of course Ms Palin is making a comeback supported by Donald

A run for VP with Trump?

Now there’s a thought 🤣

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

4 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

That's a shame about Wyoming.

If I were a lawyer, as you say I'd be worried about not being paid. I think Trump has form for this, especially if the result goes against him. Did he have a run in with Giuliani? I can't remember exactly.

Yep

Who is now attending his call to appear before a grand jury

- after claiming he couldn't fly to attend after surfery

- -  and caught with flights booked elsewhere

Plus

"Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, has speculated that his ex-boss may have kept secret documents at Mar-a-Lago to use as a bargaining chip if and when he is arrested for alleged felonies.

“I believe the sensitive information was going to be used by him as a get out of jail free card,” Mr Cohen said.

“The second they would put him in handcuffs, he would turn around and say I have the documentation showing, for example, where our nuclear launch pads are ... This is what I believe: He would use it and say, if you proceed with this, I’m telling you right now there’s 20 of my loyal supporters, you don’t know who they are, but we will release that information to Russia, to Iran, to whoever it might be. Because he doesn’t care about this country.”"

Oh

and Trump wants the warrant released as it will give the names of those who gave the information that the top secret docs were at Trumps place

- they should release it with the names and any identifying information redacted :-)

• Like 1

The Tory Legacy

haven't looked into the detail, but didn't all these sort of 'represent himself' headlines fly around at his potential impeachment as well?

Is it just headline grabbing to keep his pack of dogs howling?

The Tory Legacy

It's hard to know the motivation when it's Trump. But it's possible that lawyers don't want to put their names to something that isn't, err, entirely truthful.

There's also the concern that the orange one has a history of not paying bills, including lawyers.

I think he has a few problems. 92 documents labelled Secret and 25 Top Secret held not all that securely at Mar a Lago.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

According to the affidavit, the government previously found in Trump’s possession 184 documents marked ‘classified’, 67 marked ‘confidential’, 92...

Yep, and Trump is claiming he issues some sort of standing order that everything he took away from the white house was automatically declassified

.. which should be interesting given his claims that much stuff requested from him ... was classified ..

WWW.FACTCHECK.ORG

After the FBI seized boxes of U.S. documents from Mar-a-Lago — some of them labeled “top secret” — former President Donald Trump claimed he...

well - apart from if you are:

"a woman, claiming to be an heiress from a famous European banking dynasty, visited the seaside golf resort on numerous occasions, mingling with guests including Mr Trump.

The woman, however, was not a wealthy heiress, but instead a Ukrainian born daughter of a truck driver in Illinois, and with an alleged shady background connecting her to charity scams and organised crime."

that is

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

The woman, allegedly under a false identity, managed to access the Florida estate where former President Donald Trump was storing sensitive US...

• Sad 1

The Tory Legacy

That sums up why documents at Mar a Lago was a bad idea.

I've never thought he could just declassify a document on a whim and I'm sure I read earlier on that there was a process within the White House to do this. He didn't follow it.

• I agree 1

This is a good summary article of the trouble Trump has over the documents. Here's one quote:

'In sum, Trump is in heap of trouble. “The chilling reality is setting in,” constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe tells me. "In seeking this search warrant, the government had obviously exhausted every less intrusive way of protecting national defense information and other extremely sensitive top-secret material from those who illegally removed it to Mar-a-Lago, lied to government agencies about its being there, and kept it there for reasons that cannot have been entirely innocent and might have been unimaginably dangerous to our nation.” '

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/26/fbi-affidavit-trump-search-takeaways/

• I agree 1

Cant wait to hear the list of charges coming out of this ..

Dont a number of Republican states still enact the death penalty for what they consider to be serious crimes, like treason or being black?

The Tory Legacy

I don't know about the death penalty bit but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I think the orange one has a heap of problems because as I understand it, removing any document after you leave presidential office is outside the rules. Mike Pence has made a point of saying that he gave back every single document under the rules.

I forget about the legality of it but I don't think a document even has be classified to get you into trouble if you removed it from the White House and kept it.

And it seems that Trump and his team may not have told everything to the Justice department about what documents they had where at Mar a Lago. They even found very sensitive documents in Trump's office there, in desk drawers.

14 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

I don't know about the death penalty bit but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

He supported those punishments .. I don't.

14 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

I think the orange one has a heap of problems because as I understand it, removing any document after you leave presidential office is outside the rules. Mike Pence has made a point of saying that he gave back every single document under the rules.

I forget about the legality of it but I don't think a document even has be classified to get you into trouble if you removed it from the White House and kept it.

And it seems that Trump and his team may not have told everything to the Justice department about what documents they had where at Mar a Lago. They even found very sensitive documents in Trump's office there, in desk drawers.

They reportedly found the trump passports in a box with classified documents that apparently referred to deep cover operatives.

Which is apparently the real reason  they were 'confiscated' -  the box they were in was confiscated..

The Tory Legacy

On 17/08/2022 at 13:59, theoldrouge said:

And of course Ms Palin is making a comeback supported by Donald

A run for VP with Trump?

Now there’s a thought 🤣

LOL

Alaska turns to Democrats after 50 years republican

Trump endorsed and supported Palin is out.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Mary Peltola’s victory delivers blow to Palin’s hopes of political comeback and prompts concern for Republicans in November midterms

The Tory Legacy

This could be a huge problem for Trump. A document about a foreign power's nuclear capability was at Mar a Lago.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Recovered records include material even senior Biden officials were not authorized to view, Washington Post reports

• I agree 2

Read the Daily Mail comments page and some of the Trump supporters say that he was entitled to have possession of the documents.   And there are apparently legal precedents that mean that Trump could not be charged with offences.  But then I have heard many legal experts in the US say that Trump can be prosecuted.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Nope - no legal precedents that an ex president should have those documents that I am aware of - in fact what i've seen quite clearly declares the opposite and that they MUST be returned.

But then, you were just posting fanboy opinions vs actual legal opinions ('Trump supporters in the Mail) again weren't you?

Why the heck do you think Trump struggled to get a legal team after he dumped the ones (fact) telling him he needed a deal (alleged) ?

The Tory Legacy

There's been a lot on this in the Washington Post and also the New York Times.

There are questions over whether executive privilege exists once you're no longer president - many people think it doesn't. My understanding is that no documents can be removed. There are laws that cover this I believe they apply to any document, not just classified or secret ones.

Mike Pence made a point of saying that he had returned every document to the appropriate people and had left with nothing that belonged to the people and therefore the Archives.

Trump may have declassified some documents but there's a procedure for doing this before papers leave the White House and Trump didn't follow it. What he did seems to count as scribbles.

It sounds like chaos at the end of his tenure because maybe he didn't believe he was leaving the WH and it was all done in a rush. But I don't understand why he would want to have papers at Mar a Lago and why he'd want to keep them in the first place. He doesn't seem to have bothered at all about their security.