• Tweets

• OK, all done as requested. Defence left blank for now. Just one small question in relation to the CPR31:14.... Please treat this letter as my request made under CPR 31.14 for the disclosure and the production of a verified and legible copy of [each of the following / the] document(s) mentioned in your Particulars of Claim: and it says * delete if not mentioned in the Particulars of claim. I'm not  sure if I ask for everything or nothing as I can't see any of the list mentioned in the POCs
    • Fund management firm Allan Gray also said giving Nationwide's members a vote on the £2.9 billion buyout would have been 'a much better path'.View the full article
    • A Swiss pressure group says some staff at Shein suppliers are still working excessive overtime.View the full article
    • Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCJ Against Myself But Should Be Named To My Dad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

(Please excuse me if this has been posted in the wrong section).

I recently found out I have a CCJ against my name and credit record etc.

However the debt isn't mine, it is my Dad's, but we have the same name.

I took a mobile phone contract out with Orange a few years ago (2010 my first contract), after a while I set up another mobile phone contract under my account for my Dad. After his two year contract passed EE (was Orange) contacted him for an upgrade, which he accepted but requested that the number and contract be severed from my account and a new one set up under his own name and details, which at the time EE said they could do so.

Six months later my Dad's contract was cancelled and the debt defaulted. I only found this out a further three months later (November 15') when I tried switching from Orange (My contract was still under Orange) to O2 but they withheld my number transfer because of this unpaid debt.

This is when we found out EE hadn't set up a new separate account for my Dad and kept the two mobile contracts under my account. When I tried to resolve this with EE they already sold the debt on to a collection agency. I left this with my Dad to rectify and repay.

Fast forward to July 16' and the original debt collection agency had passed the debt onto another collection agency, and these guys sent notification of an application for a CCJ. During this time my Dad was recovering from severe health problems and ignored all these letters, thinking they were for him when in actual fact they had been for me.

I only found this out when I applied for a small (

The judgement was made in my absence in August 16' as no defence was submitted. I contacted the County Court earlier this month stating this isn't my debt it is my Dad's, they referred us back to the debt collection agencies who then referred us back to EE who then referred us back to the debt collection agencies who referred us back to the County Court and the cycle continues.

This CCJ should be for my Dad not me, we have no problem paying off the debt sum (around £580) but if I agree a payment and a certificate of satisfaction, the CCJ will still be on my credit record when it shouldn't be there it should be on my Dad's and I need the Court to change this.

Now I know I've missed the deadline to submit a defence and ask for a set aside, but I am aware I can still apply for a set aside (sooner rather than later) so I can submit my defence on this CCJ (pretty much what I've wrote above) but my concern is paying for this application (an N244 form?) and it being rejected and having this CCJ on my record when it doesn't belong to me and affectively pausing my future for the next six years.

I've been in regular contact with the debt collection agency and I would like to see if they'd agree to a set aside too as they're aware of the situation, the debt should be assigned to my Dad not me, but they may not agree to it which makes it a bit trickier with the County Court if they reject it too.

I'm just looking for advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation, whether or not a CCJ can be changed to a different person (even if that person admits it is their debt)? Is the outlook of my next six years bleak? How do I pay the N244(?) form when I send it to the County Court?

I appreciate your time reading the above and any feedback is most welcome,

Thank you.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this debt is not yours and you have proof, then either the DCA sets it aside (which it can) or you submit the set aside paying the court fee. I don't see why you could not reclaim the court fee and other expenses from the DCA.

I think you need to send the DCA a letter saying that you will apply to set aside the CCJ and also claim all relevant costs for doing this, if they do not remove the CCJ by contacting the courts themselves. It is theh up to the DCA whether they issue a claim against your Dad later, as that is a separate issue.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There is no deadline for applying for a setaside. So long as you have a reason for not having dealt with it – you didn't receive the papers – and more particularly that if you are permitted to file a defence that you stand a good chance of success (and clearly here you do) then the set-aside will be granted. The only issue here is whether you will be able to reclaim the £255 set-aside fee. You should include this in your set-aside application.

Who owns the judgement? Presumably it is the phone company? Have a look at the advice we give about applying for a setaside. If the phone company refuses to consent to the set-aside including the refund of your application costs, then tell them – in writing – that you will be counterclaiming against them for their negligence in the handling of the account and that you will also be asking for some compensation for the problems they have cause to you by their breach of the Data Protection Act. Also tell them that you will be making a formal complaint to the information Commissioner.

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues

The claimant wouldn't happen to be Lowell by any chance?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

There is no deadline for applying for a setaside. So long as you have a reason for not having dealt with it – you didn't receive the papers – and more particularly that if you are permitted to file a defence that you stand a good chance of success (and clearly here you do) then the set-aside will be granted. The only issue here is whether you will be able to reclaim the £255 set-aside fee. You should include this in your set-aside application.

Who owns the judgement? Presumably it is the phone company? Have a look at the advice we give about applying for a setaside. If the phone company refuses to consent to the set-aside including the refund of your application costs, then tell them – in writing – that you will be counterclaiming against them for their negligence in the handling of the account and that you will also be asking for some compensation for the problems they have cause to you by their breach of the Data Protection Act. Also tell them that you will be making a formal complaint to the information Commissioner.

Brilliant thanks again for a helpful response I really appreciate it.

The £255 fee I'm not fussed to claim back as long as the CCJ gets cleared from my name as such.

The judgement is owned by the DCA, EE sold it on to a DCA originally and have told me that they have nothing to do with the debt anymore as it's no longer to do with them.

Forgive my naivety here but when sending the form to the County Court, I'm not sticking cash in with the envelope am I? I should use a postal order right with a signed delivery?

Which DCA is this? I think you've been asked this by somebody else but you haven't replied.

In order to apply for the set-aside, download the form N244 and you will also find some notes relating to it from the County court website. Full explanations will be there.

Follow the set-aside link and you will see some basic instructions there. There is nothing wrong with trying to seek consent from the DCA. It will make life a lot easier if they do consent – even if they want to quibble about the costs.

Once you have found out whether or not they are on board, get the form and then come back here and we will help you fill it all out.

This is an interesting one as the OP is probably liable for the original contract in his name and on his account that his dad was using.

Why did you do it like this? Has your dad got a poor credit rating?

What are the Particulars of Claim from the original paperwork? Can you get them from the Court if you don't already have them.

Thank you so much for all your responses this is really helpful.

Lowell Financial Ltd. initially took the debt on from EE. They have then passed it onto Lucas Credit Services who processed the CCJ.

I've contacted LCS to see if they're going to agree to the set-aside.

Yes my Dad has had poor credit ever since I can remember and my younger naïve past-self must have believed he would change his ways considering it's his son that would be in trouble. And now we're full circle.

I can't remember the details off the top of my head but I'm sure I have the paperwork too for the Particulars of Claim and I can detail them on here when I get the chance.

Once again, thank you all for your assistance so far!

We can help you – but you need to engage properly with the forum. Help you get here is free of charge and it depends on people's enthusiasm and goodwill. However, you need to reciprocate by keeping in contact with the thread and also providing information is asked for as quickly as possible. I can see that you have been away from the forum for three days even though you started a discussion. If there aren't responses from you and every starts to feel that they're putting in a load of work without any reaction from you, then they are likely to give up.

Yes please. Post up the particulars of claim in original – PDF format as quickly as possible. Also, if there are any other papers or documents that you are missing either by contacting the court, contacting the other side or sending off an SAR. Having all the information at your fingertips is really essential because it will help to put you in control.

My apologies, I was advised of this site through a friend who went through a situation with a CCJ and I rarely have used forums in the past.

Hopefully I've attached the PDF correctly, these are the only documents I have also included an email I sent to EE to which their reply was they don't own the debt anymore and sold it Lowell and they're the data controllers and no longer have the visibility of the information of shown on my credit file.

CCJ Docs.pdf

Unfortunately not, this is what my Dad and I initially thought had happened but wasn't carried out due to his poor credit score but EE never made us aware the change didn't take place.

There is currently no existing contract for my Dad active (as he uses PAYG sim now) and I only have one with O2.

Hi The CanisLupus

I have had to unapprove your PDF due to it been edited in the actual PDF (Please edit these in an image program first before PDF this is to protect your identity)

How to Upload Document/Images on CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?431533-How-to-Upload-Documents-Images-as-PDF-on-CAG-Immediately-(you-do-not-need-10-posts)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

On face value it would appear as if you were correctly sued as you were responsible for the contract.

I don't disagree with that. However during the time of the contract, my Dad and I assumed EE had separated the contract and set up a new account for him. We weren't made aware from EE that they couldn't carry this out and ultimately kept the contract under my contract.

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues

The claimant wouldn't happen to be Lowell by any chance?

Andy

Initially yes, then they sent it to Cohen Cramer whose contact details are Lucas Credit Services.

The CCJ still states Lowell as the claimant however.

Edited by TheCanisLupus

I don't disagree with that. However during the time of the contract, my Dad and I assumed EE had separated the contract and set up a new account for him. We weren't made aware from EE that they couldn't carry this out and ultimately kept the contract under my contract.

You know what they say about assuming...

Initially yes, then they sent it to Cohen Cramer whose contact details are Lucas Credit Services.

The CCJ still states Lowell as the claimant however.

Then it is Lowell as I thought.....Lucas Credit Services are irrelevant.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

LCS have apparently put bailiffs on to collect payment though? They have been delaying the collection though every two weeks since I've been in contact and kept them updated with the current situation.

Are Lowell not to be messed with?

You need to start the process of getting a set-aside immediately – on Monday.

I see that you don't seem to have the claim form. Contact the court on Monday and tell them that you don't have any documents and that you will be asking for a set-aside and that you would like a copy of the claim form.

At the same time, telephone the claimant and tell them the same thing. Then confirm what you have said to them in writing. Make sure you send it recorded delivery. Then follow our set-aside instructions and asked the claimant for prepared to consent to a set-aside. Explain to them exactly what has happened and that it is not your debt and they are suing the wrong person. Put this in writing as well and send it to them recorded delivery – but in a separate letter and a separate envelope so that they don't mix anything up.

Let us know if they consent to the set-aside we will help you. If they don't consent to the set-aside we will still help you but it may be slightly different. Go to the court services website and download the form N244. That is the application notice form which you used to begin the set-aside procedure. Also in your letter to the claimant, – if they don't agree to the set-aside – inform them that as you are applying for a set-aside and as the set-aside is likely to be granted, please will they hold off on any enforcement action. Let us know what they say. If they are being businesslike then they will cooperate with you. If there being stupid then they will simply try to make life tough you. If they raise any objections and tell them that their issue is with the people who sold them the debt who mucked up the business of the accounts in the first place. One them that they may be the issue a counterclaim for having breached their data protection obligations and you would appreciate it if they try to be helpful about it all to sort out the mess rather than compound the problem. Tell the claimant that you will provide them with a copy of the form once it is filed with the court so they can be sure that you are indeed making the application stop

Come back here on Monday and tell us what they have all said. Then we will help you draft the form N244.

You need to start the process of getting a set-aside immediately – on Monday.

I see that you don't seem to have the claim form. Contact the court on Monday and tell them that you don't have any documents and that you will be asking for a set-aside and that you would like a copy of the claim form.

At the same time, telephone the claimant and tell them the same thing. Then confirm what you have said to them in writing. Make sure you send it recorded delivery. Then follow our set-aside instructions and asked the claimant for prepared to consent to a set-aside. Explain to them exactly what has happened and that it is not your debt and they are suing the wrong person. Put this in writing as well and send it to them recorded delivery – but in a separate letter and a separate envelope so that they don't mix anything up.

Let us know if they consent to the set-aside we will help you. If they don't consent to the set-aside we will still help you but it may be slightly different. Go to the court services website and download the form N244. That is the application notice form which you used to begin the set-aside procedure. Also in your letter to the claimant, – if they don't agree to the set-aside – inform them that as you are applying for a set-aside and as the set-aside is likely to be granted, please will they hold off on any enforcement action. Let us know what they say. If they are being businesslike then they will cooperate with you. If there being stupid then they will simply try to make life tough you. If they raise any objections and tell them that their issue is with the people who sold them the debt who mucked up the business of the accounts in the first place. One them that they may be the issue a counterclaim for having breached their data protection obligations and you would appreciate it if they try to be helpful about it all to sort out the mess rather than compound the problem. Tell the claimant that you will provide them with a copy of the form once it is filed with the court so they can be sure that you are indeed making the application stop

Come back here on Monday and tell us what they have all said. Then we will help you draft the form N244.

Wow, thank you so much, I'll start prepping everything over this weekend so come Monday I know exactly where I'm at and get this ball rolling faster.

All this advice and guidance is incredible, once again, thank you.