Mortgage and unemployment

bluetack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

We've never been in this position before

hubby lost his job a few months ago and had to sign on for the first time in his life (he is 60 and so completely destroyed).

Finding another job at this age is proving very difficult.

We have a mortgage.

He is now getting support of £83 a week.

I receive incapacity benefit for a progressive illness.

It seems that we are entitled to help with the mortgage interest payments but won't get this help for 39 weeks.

How do people pay their mortgage in the meantime?

That's almost 10 months for us to wait and I'm pretty sure the house will be repossessed after 3 months of non-payment (our mortgage is interest only).

We are very confused.

Our total income without mortgage help is around £850 a month.

Our monthly direct debits total £1000 approx. not including food.

We know that we will have to cancel unnecessary things like sky etc. but there is still not enough income.

Other people seem to get their rent paid so why are we different or am I missing something?

Also, because he is signing on, hubby is expected to attend all sorts of courses and 'activity' days.

With just £83 unemployment benefit a week how are we supposed to pay for him to get to these things and look for work, attend interviews etc.?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

most important thing is speak to your mortgage provider.

my neighbour had the same issue in 2011/2

was without serious income for 2 years other than basic benefit.

your provider should help you and will

he negotiated less than half mortgage payment for a 6mts period

then that extended again until the right benefits were in place

is still paying the arrears off today at £30 pcm

was £6000 now down to £4k

as long as it s paid by end of term the provider doesn't usually mind.

but you must talk to them.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There are a number of things you could look into in addition to dx's advice.

I was in your position in 2009.

There is a Mortgage Interest side of benefits, which will pay 3% interest on your outstanding mortgage balance(unless the % has changed)

This scheme was paid on the back of Income Support.

Now you say you receive Incapacity Benefit? Could you explore the possibility of your husband becoming your full time carer? When i say full time, he would need to provide 35 or more hours care per week.

If you, with your progressive condition require care this is an avenue you must explore.

As your carer, if this a possibility, your husband could then claim Income Support instaed of Job seekers allowance which alleviates the need for the courses and activity work. This of course means travelling would not be an issue.

The Job Centre can also provide for the refund of travel costs if they are insisting he attends.

Have you been made aware of any other benefits you may be entitled to?

Check at http://www.gov.uk , there is a benefits calculator online to help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest

This is a link for the information about your mortgage help.

Do either of you receive Income Based benefit or will you become entitled later in the claim if your husband is not successful finding employment.

Do you have any insurance on your mortgage for redundancy, unemployment?

An alternative is for you to see if you can add your husband on to your Incapacity claim ? Do you currently receive any PIP or DLA, if you do then if it is Middle or Higher Care or any rate of Daily Living for PIP your husband could claim Carers Allowance.

If your husband is attending the courses information sessions then he can reclaim any travel costs incurred (petrol or public transport costs are ok but the cost of a taxi has to be agreed in advance)

Speak to your mortgage lender and ask about payment holidays or reduced payments, the sooner you speak to them to sort out payments the more they can consider helping.

• Haha 1

Can your husband apply for Pension Credit?

In Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden), benefit claimants can claim around 80% of what they earned in their last job for up to four years.

And yet the Daily Mail is always boasting about how 'generous' the UK benefits system is.